Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I made a Penicillin

1.5 oz Abelour A’bunadh Speyside Single Malt cask strength Scotch (59% abv)
.25 oz Ardbeg Wee Beastie Islay Single malt Scotch (47.4% abv)
.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz 1:1 honey syrup
.25 oz Portland Syrup Ginger

Shaken in a tin, double strained.

I didn’t float the Ardbeg on top, which I’ll try next time. This is a great scotch cocktail in the vein of a sour, just like a Bobby Burns is like a manhattan. Would drink again.

Get the weekend started right! I made another Penicillin with some changes and I like it better.

1.5 oz Dewars White label blended scotch
.5 oz Drambuie
.25 oz Ardbeg Wee Beastie
.5 oz Lemon juice
.5 oz Portland Syrups Ginger syrup

Shaken, double strained, Ardbeg float on top.

Drambuie instead of honey syrup and to make up for the lower proof Dewars replacing cask strength Abelour. And the float of Ardbeg brings more smoke to the nose than mixing it with the rest of the drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mods please change OP's name to JUST MAKING COCKTAILS tia

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

I feel like the world is sleeping on pot still sugarcane rum and rhum agricole. Every hole in the wall liquor store near me sells Babencourt white and aged for cheap.

Michigan has trouble getting JM Rhum allocations nowadays. It’s having its moment but nothing compared to other spirits. I can’t complain - you can get some great still strength sugarcane rums for under $50 a bottle.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My wife has grown to enjoy Luxardo Limoncello and was wondering if there is anything similar for other citrus fruits.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've seen orangecello before. Not sure what else is out there.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen orangecello before. Not sure what else is out there.

I’ve had grapefruit and mint made by a Sicilian colleague. It’s nothing terribly fancy- macerate the (thing that’s about to go to waste) in sugar then add high proof booze to extract. The mintocello was an eye opener, especially living in the land of juleps.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Nocino is a good Italian sweet and bitter liqueur made with walnuts. There’s a lot of “cellos” too, but I’ve never tried anything besides limoncello.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the suggestions on the mint chocolate martini. Turns out I already had a crème de cacao and two crème de menthes, but I figured why not try out the $40 crème de cacao

Definitely worth the money. Hiram Walker’s products aren’t bad, it’s just that the Tempus Fugit and Bols are so much more complex

Drink itself was cloying sweet, which was fine for the party but I think the suggestion of bittering it up a little probably would have been received well too

I did two nitro chargers on the whipped cream which was a little too firm, next time I would do one charger

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 17, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Something I just found funny and had to share:

Google suggested this drink recipe to me, and apparently a lot of other people too. I've never seen a recipe with such a high percentage of negative reviews before. I only wish I'd taken these screenshots last night because the one positive review wasn't there yet. But the negative reviews are still pretty funny.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hiram Walker’s products aren’t bad

:confused:

Sir Lemming posted:

Something I just found funny and had to share:

Google suggested this drink recipe to me, and apparently a lot of other people too. I've never seen a recipe with such a high percentage of negative reviews before. I only wish I'd taken these screenshots last night because the one positive review wasn't there yet. But the negative reviews are still pretty funny.

oh no!

lol, "I liked it alot!" -Cory F... er, user_12393492 that's the ticket

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 17, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
jesus christ lol that margarita sounds punishing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I feel like coconut isn't the worst flavor to go with tequila, but the coconut milk is just ... yeah no

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've had amazing Christmas themed margaritas (usually a bit of cranberry and/or cinnamon syrup does the trick) and I've also had a great margarita-ish drink that had mezcal and toasted coconut. But just going all in on coconut... No thanks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I love coconut but I'm not quite sure what it has to do with Christmas. And you really gotta know what you're doing if you're going to put unsweetened coconut milk in a cocktail

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Human Tornada posted:

I love coconut but I'm not quite sure what it has to do with Christmas. And you really gotta know what you're doing if you're going to put unsweetened coconut milk in a cocktail

Both unsweetened AND sweetened! For reasons that are obvious.

Wait, is "obvious" the word I'm looking for?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Both unsweetened AND sweetened! For reasons that are obvious.

Wait, is "obvious" the word I'm looking for?
Maybe obtuse?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LMAO woosh

Anyways this thread reminded me of the Coco and Ice, maybe I'll buy some coconut milk next time I'm at the store. Anyone know if the Caffe Lolita is sweet? I have the St. George right now, which is not.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I blend Coco Lopez with canned coconut milk all the time to cut the sweetness. It shortens the shelf life quite a bit but if you’re using a bunch for a party or something it has a really nice texture and allows you some room to play with other liqueurs or sweeteners.

Bird_App_Refugee
Nov 4, 2022

Formerly: Thunderfist and/or
Have it your Weigh
Cranberry bitters - any cocktail ideas? Looking for something with rum or whiskey mostly.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Bird_App_Refugee posted:

Cranberry bitters - any cocktail ideas? Looking for something with rum or whiskey mostly.

Maybe try a fog cutter subbing the cranberry bitters for the sherry?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
A very dry cosmopolitan.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I have a lot of grapefruit on hand I processed it all. Trying to think of something cool to make besides my usual. Thinking gin salty dog riff with msg tincture and little bits of campari and aperol both.

Gin salty dog riff with msg tincture and little bits of campari and aperol both - This was kind of a fail. It overpowered the gin. I basically make it like a liqueur with the peels steeped in overproof rum and sugar then juice added to dissolve leftover sugar.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 20, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Volcano Bowl is my favorite way to use up large amounts of grapefruit, it’s about 3 servings but is best served in a tiki bowl.

6 oz grapefruit juice
2 oz fresh lime juice
¾ oz maple syrup
½ oz sugar syrup
3 oz Demerara rum
2 oz gold jamaican rum
1 oz gold puerto rican rum

White Rum Seabreeze is good too. Fill a highball glass with ice then add 2 oz rum, juice of half a grapefruit and top up with cranberry juice.

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

My partner had a cocktail named the Mistletoe Mule whilst on holiday in Budapest.

Wondering if anyone could make a guess at the measurements to replicate it?

The ingredients were:
Vodka
Italucus Bergamotto
Peach (assuming syrup)
Lime (assuming juice)
Fever tree Ginger beer/ale tonic

I've got all the components but have no idea where to start on workshopping this, given the volume of ingredients compared to I.e a normal mule.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
1.5 vodka, .5 of everything else, 3-4ish ginger beer to top off is usually a good starting point, depending on the sweetness of your ginger beer

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I’d probably start with something like 2 vodka, .25 each Italicus and peach syrup (if it was really syrup) and .5 lime. Taste at that point and adjust if you need to (depending on the sourness of your limes and sweetness of your syrup). Then shake, strain over fresh ice, top with ginger (or do the cool technique I’ve seen lately where you add half the lengthener first—keeps the bubbles better).

Me, I’d be tempted to add mint and swap fresh peach in for the syrup (both muddled, double strained, and fresh ones used as garnish).

E: ha, I had 1.5/.5/.5/.5 in mind originally too and changed my mind as I wrote the post.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone here had Yzaguirre vermouth? Solid in a martini?

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Thanks both, i am torn on whether it was peach juice or syrup so can defo try both and see which is closest.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Shocked to find a fully stocked shelf of green chartreuse in NC. Early Christmas!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nice.

I picked up extra when I saw it but sometimes I lie awake at night thinking about how I only have ~100 Last Words in the house.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Anybody have any good recommendations for yellow Chartreuse cocktails?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So far I haven’t seen chartreuse disappear yet from Los Angeles

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr_Chicken posted:

Thanks both, i am torn on whether it was peach juice or syrup so can defo try both and see which is closest.

I’d guess syrup. If you want to make a syrup from fresh peaches (if you can find any good ones right now), my go to recipe is mix the fruit with half of its weight in sugar.

Easiest way would be to chop, blend, and strain the fruit, then weight it. Say you get two ounces of peach, then add one ounce of sugar and whisk every once in a while until it’s dissolved. A half ounce of so of tasty vinegar might help balance it in the cocktail too.

Or just go buy a jug of peach nectar

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

my kinda ape posted:

Try an Alaska. 2oz gin, half ounce yellow Chartreuse, half ounce dry vermouth or dry sherry, two dashes orange bitters, lemon twist.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

Naked and Famous is probably the most well known and popular. My favorite is a last word riff called Closing Argument

3/4 rye
3/4 Gran Classico
3/4 lemon
3/4 yellow chartreuse

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Greenpoint for a Manhatttan riff.

tonedef131 posted:

Naked and Famous is probably the most well known and popular. My favorite is a last word riff called Closing Argument

3/4 rye
3/4 Gran Classico
3/4 lemon
3/4 yellow chartreuse

Sub Benedictine for Gran Classico and you have a Monte Cassino.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Need a white elephant gift. I know a few people in the group would like to begin making cocktails at home so I was thinking of making a set of the basic secondary ingredients. Things like sweet vermouth and Cointreau. Any other ingredients like this that will open their options up?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Depending, a large bottle of ango could be a great gift. Helps show them what bitters does to a drink, so many drinks require or benefit from it. Always something needed if they get into it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had a negroni that was flavoured with pandan last night and I loved it. Is there a reliable way to get pandan flavour into a drink that doesn't rely on having leaves on hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You can get pandan extract at Dutch or Indonesian grocers. It will do the trick.