Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I was excited to find Big Hunk bars at the grocery store. An old favorite! Haven't had one in years!

They're disgusting now, it's like nothing but artificial almond flavor, I think I have cyanide poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Animal-Mother posted:

Canonically, Mario had plans to take his girlfriend to WrestleMania.

I need sources.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is Big League Chew still around? Is it still awesome?

Of course I was the cool kid who would crack open the package of bubble tape and bite chunks straight to the head

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Big League Chew always seemed like the most flavorful non-mint gum

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have a language pen pal who was excited to try Warheads for the first time a few weeks ago, and she commented that kids' tastes buds are different from adults so in the case of sour candy it might literally taste different now.

I've learned to like spicier food as I've gotten older, which sometimes leads to me ordering hotter stuff than I can handle, so I'll echo that you can still get plenty of really spicy stuff in the US, even at like fast food places sometimes, let alone family owned Mexican or Indian restaurants. I think the issue is that how spicy something is is often not well-defined, so you could end up with something with a hint of chili powder, or you could bite into something that makes you need to run to the store and get a gallon of milk.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Rochallor posted:

I have a language pen pal who was excited to try Warheads for the first time a few weeks ago, and she commented that kids' tastes buds are different from adults so in the case of sour candy it might literally taste different now.
In the case of Warheads I feel like adults usually have enough sense to not eat something so acidic that it causes tissues in your mouth to slough off

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nice obelisk idiot posted:

In the case of Warheads I feel like adults usually have enough sense to not eat something so acidic that it causes tissues in your mouth to slough off

The fate of all skin cells.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is Big League Chew still around? Is it still awesome?

Of course I was the cool kid who would crack open the package of bubble tape and bite chunks straight to the head

I always wanted to do that, you monster! How was it?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is anyone else startled by how expensive olive oil is now? Also the bottle I bought has a huge cutout for a handle. This cutout cannot be seen from the front of the bottle, as seen on the shelf.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

doctorfrog posted:

Is anyone else startled by how expensive olive oil is now? Also the bottle I bought has a huge cutout for a handle. This cutout cannot be seen from the front of the bottle, as seen on the shelf.

NYT posted an article about it in October so it's A Thing
Why Olive Oil Is So Expensive Right Now

www.nytimes.com posted:

Prices have more than doubled as extreme weather hit crops in Spain, Italy and elsewhere. The upcoming harvest isn’t looking much better, so that drizzle of oil on your salad may remain costly.

There is something different lately about the olive oil Michelle Spangler buys, bottles and infuses with flavors like basil and blood orange for her store in Dallas. It’s not the taste but the cost: Global olive oil prices have soared to record levels, more than doubling over the past year.

Ms. Spangler has an agreement with her store’s supplier that protects against such rapid price increases, but she still expects to pay up to 20 percent more. She plans to raise prices 10 to 15 percent in her store, Infused Oils & Vinegars, early next year.

“It’s not a cheap product,” Ms. Spangler said, “and so that will probably price some of my customers out of that product line in my store.”

Like the oil that comes from the ground, olive oil is a globally traded commodity, with events in one part of the world reverberating far away. Drought in Spain , the world’s largest olive oil producer, has devastated recent harvests, and bad weather has hit olive crops in other major growers like Italy, Greece and Portugal. The United States imports almost all of the olive oil it consumes, primarily from Spain and Italy.

The result is prices climbing to dizzying heights, well over $9,000 per metric ton, which filters through to pricier bottles of the oil that have become a fixture in many American households, used for cooking and drizzling on foods associated with a healthy Mediterranean diet . A 750-millileter bottle of Bertolli’s extra virgin olive oil that cost around $9 at the grocery store last October is around $11 today, a nearly 22 percent increase, according to IRI, a data provider.

Southern Europe, which accounts for more than half of global olive oil production, is to olive oil what the Middle East is to crude oil. And things are not looking good for the upcoming European harvest, which began this month: The European Commission recently said olive oil production in Spain, Italy and other European Union countries would recover only slightly from last season’s 40 percent decline, limiting supplies and pushing up prices.

Olive oil has become so dear that it has attracted criminal gangs, with some particularly brazen thefts at farms and factories in Spain and Greece .

Wholesale price of olive oil

“Consumers are just going to face higher prices,” said Shawn Addison, the owner of the Olive Oil Source, an olive oil wholesaler in California that supplies grocery stores and restaurants.

In July, Mr. Addison got an email from his biggest supplier, which sources its oil from Australia and California, informing him that the price of wholesale olive oil was going up more than 30 percent, effective immediately. Soon after, his second- and third-largest suppliers followed suit.

“Everybody jumped on the bandwagon and immediately jacked prices,”Mr. Addison said, noting that it showed how global markets work. On Tuesday, he issued a purchase order for olive oil at $39.50 a gallon, which until recently had cost him $29.50.

Some companies like Mr. Addison’s are looking to the Southern Hemisphere for more of their olive oil, but the impact of shortages in the Mediterranean may be hard to avoid, with a scramble for dwindling supplies making it trickier to get a deal on Chilean or Argentine olive oil.

Leah Bradley, the chief financial officer of Veronica Foods, an olive oil supplier in California that counts Ms. Spangler’s Infused Oils & Vinegars among its clients, said South America and Australia had good crops last year, helping to mitigate some of the damage in Spain. “Relying on one hemisphere or one country or one region is not sustainable,” she said.

Because olive oil is produced in so many different parts of the world, the fear among sellers is less about a shortage and more about how much consumers are willing to pay.

At Olive Oil Source, Mr. Addison hasn’t noticed a drop in sales, which surprised him. In fact, he has seen a 20 percent increase since July, even though he has passed along all of the “jacked” costs he pays his suppliers. He said he expected the business to remain lucrative.

The ability and willingness of consumers to shoulder the burden of higher prices have surprised economists and repeatedly defied predictions of a slowdown. But rising prices for some goods may be approaching the point where buyers eventually cut back.

Jesse Shapell, the owner of Barboncino, a Neapolitan-style pizza restaurant in the Crown Heights neighborhood in Brooklyn, N.Y., said he had really noticed the most recent increase in the price of olive oil in the past few weeks. If prices continued to rise, he may have to use less of it, he said.

“Being a small business already operating with thin margins, the rising cost of an essential ingredient like olive oil creates yet another challenge in bringing high-quality, affordable pizza and cuisine to our community,” Mr. Shapell said.

Gray Brooks, who owns Pizzeria Toro in Durham, N.C., said olive oil was crucial to giving the crust of his pizzas the flavor and texture that he described as a “hybrid between traditional pizza dough and focaccia.”

The soaring cost of olive oil, which Mr. Brooks sources from Italy, forced him to raise prices this month 5 to 10 percent, he said, with about half of the increase due to the cost of olive oil. Most of his pizzas went up $1, with some going up $2, like the lamb meatball and venison sausage pies.

He’s not changing his recipe, but he said rising food costs had made his job more difficult, with olive oil just the latest headache.

“Lots of people like me are feeling the weight of it,” he said.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Also there was a multinational police operation breaking up a huge olive-oil counterfeiting ring recently so that cheap EVOO you bought a few years ago probably wasn't.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Rochallor posted:

I think the issue is that how spicy something is is often not well-defined, so you could end up with something with a hint of chili powder, or you could bite into something that makes you need to run to the store and get a gallon of milk.

I've run into restaurants that let you specify spiciness level from 1 to 5, but no matter what you tell them they make the dish exactly the same way. 5 out of 5 and not even the vaguest hint of heat. Not everything needs to be incredibly spicy, that's fine, but don't actively lie about it.

On the other end of dumbness, one of my friends that's more white in appearance than me has had restaurants flat out refuse to let him order certain dishes because they just assume he'll send it back for being too spicy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I always wanted to do that, you monster! How was it?

So frickin awesome
You got three or four good chunks of gum off each radial spiral

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I only buy certified olive oil from California.

Look at the label, if its from CA you know it's good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The spicier food you consume the more manly and awesome and super duper cool people will think you are but only if broadcast the fact you like spicy food.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Dip Viscous posted:

I've run into restaurants that let you specify spiciness level from 1 to 5, but no matter what you tell them they make the dish exactly the same way. 5 out of 5 and not even the vaguest hint of heat. Not everything needs to be incredibly spicy, that's fine, but don't actively lie about it.

On the other end of dumbness, one of my friends that's more white in appearance than me has had restaurants flat out refuse to let him order certain dishes because they just assume he'll send it back for being too spicy.
I've tried to ask as tactfully as possible for not white people spicy and had them come through for me and watch me like a hawk for how I'm handling it.

If you start messing with habanero and then graduate into scotch bonnets and Trinidad scorpions and stuff you can build quite a tolerance.

Those trendy spicy ramen and a lot of Asian packaged and resteraunt stuff is pretty spicy in the US, but our chips and items at like Burger King or whatever are super tame to me now.

Hot sauce is very subjective so I won't plug any of that, but I recommend finding some good chilli oil, and flat iron pepper premium pepper flakes for 2 additional ways to get some heat in dishes.

Big league chew and the tape gum still exist and it's all my foreman chews

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just keep some sriracha in your pocketbook

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
I've ordered Thai spicy a few times expecting eye watering but edible. Usually it's barely spicy at all which is disappointing, but last time I ordered at a new place they added 1/3 cup crushed red pepper which was just unpleasant.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
aleppo pepper is like crushed red pepper but without the seeds and poo poo, highly recommended

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

spebding a substantial, considerable amount of time posting about, thinking about, and talking about ads. ftw

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's some good use for adverts. This year I wrapped all my christmas gifts in pages from The Metro, which is full of half-page ads. The chocolate got a mcdonalds advert, the little animals I'd sewn got one for a Star Trek Chronograph Watch. I didn't get to use the one for Mean Girls, but there were some good ones and it went down well.

Wrap your presents in free newspaper, it's awesome and much easier to recycle than "proper" wrapping paper.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
note - make sure the newspaper ink won't rub off onto whatever you're wrapping before setting it in the wrapping for ages and possibly letting the stain set really well, bc that is a thing that happens

you don't want to accidentally burn Doonesbury or Garfield into someone's present. this is why wrapping paper is blank on the inside.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's makes sense. But who doesn't wrap everything at 3am the night before!

You can use the copious amount of free paper that amazon gives you underneath if you're worried and it's something damageable. I bought kitchen roll this week on sub/save and they gave me like 5m of brown paper to pad out the box.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Time_pants posted:

I need sources.

Throwaway line in the final act of the old movie. Apropos of almost nothing. And considering Bob Hoskins was drunk for the duration of filming, he may have ad-libbed it.

erosion posted:

I've ordered Thai spicy a few times expecting eye watering but edible. Usually it's barely spicy at all which is disappointing, but last time I ordered at a new place they added 1/3 cup crushed red pepper which was just unpleasant.

My old place wouldn't let me get Thai spicy until I'd proven myself for a few months. And it was quite hot, but I survived obviously. Well, I think.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 20, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lots of white people being very proud here

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Lots of white people being very proud here

lol yup. beaming proudly when they say to the guy behind the counter "make it how you eat it" with a knowing wink

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Peter Falk posted:

I have so little trust for modern capitalism that I'm going to spend $100 at a lumber yard and then build a bed for my kid rather than buy something composed of sawdust and used motor oil.
Yeah I just booked up all my free time for the next week, but drat it at least I'll know that that bed isn't poisoning my family or about to fall apart.

2 x 4s are now 1.5 x 3.5 in actual dimension.

Why.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Suspect A posted:

2 x 4s are now 1.5 x 3.5 in actual dimension.

Why.

I was curious about this, and sure enough two by four is a name that means 1.5 x 3.5" and its because historically they could cut them 2"x4" and then when the boards dried out they would shrink down to about 1.5x3.5" and eventually it was formalized like this to make building more consistent.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Salt Fish posted:

I was curious about this, and sure enough two by four is a name that means 1.5 x 3.5" and its because historically they could cut them 2"x4" and then when the boards dried out they would shrink down to about 1.5x3.5" and eventually it was formalized like this to make building more consistent.

Amazing the dumbest thing I've seen today is in this thread and not the Trump thread

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lots of things are nominally sized, especially in construction.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Sub 10-micron accuracy is the way

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Look when I say something is 6 inches we all know that accounts for historical shrinkage it’s your fault if you’re not aware of the history of lumber

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Afaik it's because companies charged per plank and realized that if they planed the rough lumber down, they could transport more planks to the market and sell them at the same unit cost.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Afaik it's because companies charged per plank and realized that if they planed the rough lumber down, they could transport more planks to the market and sell them at the same unit cost.

No .

Here’s the history of it:

http://synthmind.com/miscpub_6409.pdf

TLDR it was a regulatory choice.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Yeah it's because they're rough cut to 2x4 and by the time they're dried and planed they're smaller. Like how your quarter pounder is pre-cooked weight.

Dimensional lumber has been standardized at the current sizes for 70 years so I'm not sure it qualifies as getting shittier for no reason.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No .

Here’s the history of it:

http://synthmind.com/miscpub_6409.pdf

TLDR it was a regulatory choice.

I mean it says it right there on pages 2-3 that that's how the early standards came about

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
hope no one in this thread weighs their 8 oz steak after its cooked at texas roadhouse

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol yup. beaming proudly when they say to the guy behind the counter "make it how you eat it" with a knowing wink

it's less that and more 'i just want the thing i want'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

hope no one in this thread weighs their 8 oz steak after its cooked at texas roadhouse

I go out to eat with my weed scale and weigh every advertised meal.

It's paid for itself 5 times over I tell you waht.