Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Throw in a couple of big fat cables with metal boxes on the end with outlets of various amperage and voltage and you're not far off. It was... a mess under there. But we had probably three times as much space as we actually needed, 4 or 5 times as much space when you counted the data center room next door owned by another department where the manager was afraid to put a heavy rack on the floor so he had the room filled with rows of tables with rack mount servers sitting on the table tops with monitors and keyboards attached like individual workstations.

College, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Why aren't people using RC cars to run the cables? :thunk:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

HalloKitty posted:

Someone has to do it, no matter what. Moment of contemplation for all the MS and Amazon datacentre admins

So many fewer people are doing it now though.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
just got out of a DEI meeting with my "I'm not racist but" coworker. it did not go well surprisingly

just 5 more hours until I can be off the clock and drink heavily

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

chin up everything sucks posted:

Why aren't people using RC cars to run the cables? :thunk:

it'd be a dream come true if I ever get the chance to make a drone or robot whose sole job is to run ethernet cables

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

IP KVMs, ILOs and remote PDUs were a godsend but a lot of that stuff in major cloud data centers is being put directly onto DPUs now. I bet they don’t even roll crash carts in, they probably just fault the node, power it off, and flag it to be pulled later for troubleshooting.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't miss hardware work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sepist posted:

The MSP I worked at didn't have visible rat poop, but I am glad that after my first networking job all the others used the overhead cabling as the raised tile system can go to hell.
Raised tiles are great, but only for cooling air and as a way to make sure the water doesn't reach your servers when one of your cooling units inevitably springs a leak. Cabling should be overhead.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Collateral Damage posted:

Raised tiles are great, but only for cooling air and as a way to make sure the water doesn't reach your servers when one of your cooling units inevitably springs a leak. Cabling should be overhead.
Networking obviously, but there's a pretty complex calculus involved in whether your power cabling should be housed under-floor, on ladder racks, or in the plenum

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 20, 2023

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Collateral Damage posted:

Yes, unless you forget to maintain the roof and it collapses during a heavy rainstorm like one of my previous jobs

For some reason their NOC didn't do walkthru's, and the only reason we knew the roof collapsed was SevOne reported one of our teams core routers down and I went to take a look.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Atrocious cable organizing, that was an act of God

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

Yes, unless you forget to maintain the roof and it collapses during a heavy rainstorm like one of my previous jobs

For some reason their NOC didn't do walkthru's, and the only reason we knew the roof collapsed was SevOne reported one of our teams core routers down and I went to take a look.
lol at paying for Tate floors and ignoring the roof

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Atrocious cable organizing, that was an act of God

This was a major ISP in the new york region. I have so many cable crime photos from this place.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sepist posted:

This was a major ISP in the new york region. I have so many cable crime photos from this place.

Looks like Verizon racks.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Prescription Combs posted:

Looks like Verizon racks.

Nah, see if you can spot the CMTS

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sepist posted:

I'm the SMF jumper hooked around the big fat coax bundle on the right hanging on for dear life. Also see some F5 boxes there, nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it the Arris thing on the right

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wish camera phones existed when my org still ran cables under the floor. It was.. spicy.

We pretty much had only three lengths of catv: 6 feet, 25 feet, and 50 feet. So you picked whichever one could cover the gap and any excess got spooled up under a floor tile. Needed longer than 50? Hope someone has a spare butt connector.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Lol butt connector

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

its because you were a butt if you used one

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks Ants posted:

Is it the Arris thing on the right

Yep! Besides the cable poo poo, this job was so dope. Loved working on gear that was worth 8 figures.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

Yep! Besides the cable poo poo, this job was so dope. Loved working on gear that was worth 8 figures.

The CMTS was our bread and butter when I worked at ARRIS. Cable modem margins weren't great, but those CMTS and the licensing for them... yeah.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd still rather put plugs on coax than deal with RJ45 ends. None of that crimp poo poo though, Cabelcon compression connectors all the way.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

Looks like the colo floor at one of the DCs my first employer rented 4u of space.

When replacing a server there was no way to do it without unplugging cables from other customers. I asked the floor admin of the DC and he was like “if they’re dumb enough to braid cables around your server they deserve any downtime you cause”.

I still numbered/labelled everything I unplugged though. When I got back at the office I told my boss to either rent an entire (lockable) rack or find a different DC.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Hrmm we are in the quiet period for our company and they just scheduled an all hands meeting for tomorrow at 7:30am. 1 hour before the markets open.

Either it’s a series C or we’re getting acquired.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Hoping that no matter what it isn't poo poo news that puts your job into jeopardy!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It's been really busy this week, normally it's dead in December, especially up to Xmas, idk what's going on.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Pretty sure it’s an acquisition. Microsoft maybe. They’ve gonna balls deep on ebpf.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oh god this is giving me flashbacks to my work in rural Alaska.

I was running cable for an office in one of the villages and probably pulled out close to a 1000 pounds of old vampire tapped 10baset cable. Just decades of cables cut and left up there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

klosterdev posted:

It's been really busy this week, normally it's dead in December, especially up to Xmas, idk what's going on.

Same here, christmas has always been a super chill time for personal projects. But 2023 is all "man this year ain't done loving with you, grind at that keyboard peon."

We're doing a huge data migration this week for some idiot reason.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Oh god this is giving me flashbacks to my work in rural Alaska.

I was running cable for an office in one of the villages and probably pulled out close to a 1000 pounds of old vampire tapped 10baset cable. Just decades of cables cut and left up there.

Vampires in rural Alaska? I feel there is a story to be had there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's called 30 Days of Night.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

My boss just pulled me into his office and said without saying that I was too neurodivergent to work with all these executives, my contract is cancelled on the 29th. Merry fuckin christmas.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 21, 2023

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

LionYeti posted:

My boss just pulled me into his office and said without saying that I was too neurodivergent to work with all these executives, my contract is cancelled on the 29th. Merry fuckin christmas.

That loving sucks, I'm sorry man. Was it straight contract? Do you have any employment protections? Might be worth calling an employment lawyer.

Fake edit: steal everything you can before the 29th.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I mean firing someone for a medical condition is totally illegal but unless you're actually directly employed and they do something stupid like fire you right after getting back from FMLA leave there's nothing you can probably do. That's capitalism!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LionYeti posted:

Yeesh. That is some poo poo. Especially as we enter the holidays.

Take a deep breath and a beat to recover. Then put together a game plan to tackle the new year. I was laid off right as we entered the pandemic, and it ended up being the best possible thing to happen to me career-wise. You're going to bounce back stronger than ever.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Organic Lube User posted:

That loving sucks, I'm sorry man. Was it straight contract? Do you have any employment protections? Might be worth calling an employment lawyer.

Fake edit: steal everything you can before the 29th.

W2 employee from a contracting agency. He was talking in the meeting about like a lack of awareness of who you’re talking to. Basically like I didn’t kiss rear end appropriately even through I never got a complaint about my service and our loving useless guy in the LA office is still employed despite being one of the laziest people I’ve ever met.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 21, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get stealing

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

LionYeti posted:

W2 employee from a contracting agency. He was talking in the meeting about like a lack of awareness of who you’re talking to. Basically like I didn’t kiss rear end approximately even through I never got a complaint about my service and our loving useless guy in the LA office is still employed despite being one of the laziest people I’ve ever met.

gently caress em, hope you have a safe landing into unemployment and find a better place to work soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LionYeti posted:

W2 employee from a contracting agency. He was talking in the meeting about like a lack of awareness of who you’re talking to. Basically like I didn’t kiss rear end approximately even through I never got a complaint about my service and our loving useless guy in the LA office is still employed despite being one of the laziest people I’ve ever met.

I hate this about bad management. I had to layoff off someone a few years ago during a restructuring and the dipshit PE guys told me to let go of the dude who wasn’t the chatty high energy face of IT vs the guy they saw out and about. I had to really fight back and explain that no, just because he keeps to himself doesn’t mean they suck, and if anything he was the far more valuable employee to keep if you’re trying to keep that poo poo heap afloat. Ultimately I got my choice versus theirs. It worked out since we all got rebadged anyway and the MSP hired on the dude I let go but poo poo man it sucks rear end having such poor and stupid leadership about these things who don’t see the value in someone versus ~~vibes~~