Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Neito posted:

QC Chat:

I'm honestly glad that Applebloom is finally getting someone who has more than a disaffected snark to her bullshit. Marten being nice to her was obviously something she needed in one respect, but Faye reaching into her chest and pulling out her still-beating heart Mortal Kombat style is also something she desperately needs

Fully agree. It's one thing to have yet another goblin character in the quirky female roster, but the Bubbles update was a hard left in Uncomfortable. It honestly also shows some growth from Faye, who would have in the past straight up decked her, or not express her boundaries as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
yeah, she deserved what she got, and being an unsocialized dipshit doesn't excuse what she said to Faye or Bubbles.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Jeph has managed to go from "hates his characters" to "hates his characters so much he invents new ones for his readers to hate" and I gotta say, it's a fascinating evolution

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
He's inventing new Barbies to smoosh together in new ways and honestly I am there for it whenever it manages to escape the comfort zone like just now, especially when it's so in-character for everyone involved.

The stress meltdown from having no guidance and huge expectations was also well done imo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Turns out Jeph Jacques actually can write compelling slice-of-life, he just needed an extra dash of Always Sunny.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

When JJ writes literally any actual emotion that isn't Snarky Apathy or Snarky Happiness or Snarky Irritated.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Hi, I hate to do this and if it's against thread or forum rules I'll delete it, but my webcomic (A Distant Sky) is in trouble due to me nearly dying in September and the resultant stratospheric medical debt:
https://twitter.com/RadioSkvortsov/status/1740846671981146542

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Glad you didn’t die! For whatever it’s worth.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

3 posted:

Hi, I hate to do this and if it's against thread or forum rules I'll delete it, but my webcomic (A Distant Sky) is in trouble due to me nearly dying in September and the resultant stratospheric medical debt:
https://twitter.com/RadioSkvortsov/status/1740846671981146542

Holy poo poo, certified US healthcare moment.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Safari Disco Lion posted:

When JJ writes literally any actual emotion that isn't Snarky Apathy or Snarky Happiness or Snarky Irritated.

Today's update really got me. You could see it coming, but still. It's an amazingly hard lesson to learn, internalise and put into practice. Still working on this. You go, Liz.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's definitely something that I've struggled with myself. Depression and self-hate can be very addictive.

It's another "reform the goblin" arc, just like May, just like Marigold, just like every major character in the series, but drat if it doesn't stab me straight in the heart every time.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

It's definitely something that I've struggled with myself. Depression and self-hate can be very addictive.

It's another "reform the goblin" arc, just like May, just like Marigold, just like every major character in the series, but drat if it doesn't stab me straight in the heart every time.

This one is working a lot better for me because the character is much more clearly suffering from trauma since early in their introduction, and it provides a welome contrast to the superficial zaniness of the research island. The other two never really came at it from a position of damage, just bad habits and self-realisation. With May there was of course the lovely situation of being trapped in a decaying body which I don't want to minimise, but especially Marigold mostly has things handed to her. So this feels more powerful (and like I said, it helps a lot to be echoing some of my own life experiences and attempts at growth).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, May spent a lot of time unjustly put in prison (seriously, whoever thought she could be trusted to handle millions of dollars of other peoples money is the one who is to blame for her crimes), so there's that.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Osmosisch posted:

This one is working a lot better for me because the character is much more clearly suffering from trauma since early in their introduction, and it provides a welome contrast to the superficial zaniness of the research island. The other two never really came at it from a position of damage, just bad habits and self-realisation. With May there was of course the lovely situation of being trapped in a decaying body which I don't want to minimise, but especially Marigold mostly has things handed to her. So this feels more powerful (and like I said, it helps a lot to be echoing some of my own life experiences and attempts at growth).

Oh, for sure, I'm definitely a sucker for that style of plotline, as well. And as someone who has, let's say, less than perfect confidence in themselves, it hits hard too.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I am always pleased when Bangladesh Dupree gets back on the page in Girl Genius. My favorite character.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

habeasdorkus posted:

I am always pleased when Bangladesh Dupree gets back on the page in Girl Genius. My favorite character.

She’s a reliable delight.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
She's someone who knows what she wants: Inflicting violence on others.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Whiteboard may just have set a new record for glacial pace in webcomics. In today's strip, the lead character Doc told someone that he manufactured the Wormhole Gun just over a year ago. The strip in which he actually did it was 4th August 2003. Even for a comic which once took two and a half years to cover the events of a single day, that's stretchy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hyperbolic time chamber's got nothing on Webcomic Time

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

El Goonish Shive's been running since 2002 and the cast hasn't finished the school year they started in yet. Apparently the author envisioned EGS as being a comic mainly about college, with the senior year of high school being a prologue to set up the general scenario.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

El Goonish Shive's been running since 2002 and the cast hasn't finished the school year they started in yet. Apparently the author envisioned EGS as being a comic mainly about college, with the senior year of high school being a prologue to set up the general scenario.

I wonder if there have been enough canonical weekends to break the timeline yet.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I read Dumbing of Age, El Goonish Shive, Questionable Content, and Sleepless Domain. What century is it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jedit posted:

The Whiteboard may just have set a new record for glacial pace in webcomics. In today's strip, the lead character Doc told someone that he manufactured the Wormhole Gun just over a year ago. The strip in which he actually did it was 4th August 2003. Even for a comic which once took two and a half years to cover the events of a single day, that's stretchy.

I do at least appreciate that the two and a half year arc is literally called The Longest Day. Doc (the IRL one) has a good sense of self-awareness about his strip.

Tenebrais posted:

I haven't kept up with it since probably 2013 and had no idea it was still going at that kind of pace.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kazinsal posted:

I do at least appreciate that the two and a half year arc is literally called The Longest Day. Doc (the IRL one) has a good sense of self-awareness about his strip.

Yeah, Doc isn't averse to hanging a lampshade on the flow of time. There's a hilarious mini-arc where Doc and Sandy are talking in the paintball shop and in every strip she gets increasingly startled as the seasonal holiday decorations on the desk keep changing. If it had been played straight, about five months of strip time would have passed in the course of a two-minute conversation.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

I think Outsider has it beat. It started in 2001, and just over a week's time has passed in the comic since then.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I think Outsider has it beat. It started in 2001, and just over a week's time has passed in the comic since then.

I don't think it counts quite as much when the strip doesn't update for years at a time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
They've all got a long way to go before they can top Marvel or DC's sliding timescale but god bless em they're trying

edit: actually I guess they're not really doing quite the same thing.... uh, ignore this post I guess?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Freefall belongs in this conversation. Started in 1998, and it's definitely made it through a few months of storyline, including about a month and a half on a spaceflight montage, but I don't think it's passed a year.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The longest running webcomic I know of right now is Kevin and Kell, which I wouldn't really recommend because one of the main underpinning features of its premise is awful, but it's easy to fall into the habit of reading, and its archives are really easy to browse through.

It actually goes with a more realistic perspective of all the characters growing old over time and going through their life stages, but since its archives are really easy to browse through, it's pretty easy to do the math on how long it took characters to mature. Two of the characters got their college bachelor's degrees in 5 and 7 years respectively (after spending presumably 10 and 20 years high school).
https://www.kevinandkell.com/archive/search.php?tags=graduation
Sometimes it varies over time, more recent baby characters have aged up into saying their first word in like 2-4 years, but the first baby character took 10 years after being born in 1995.
https://www.kevinandkell.com/archive/search.php?tags=FirstWord
But the thing that stands out the most to me and still kinda recent is the fact that the comic made a big deal about Rudy having sex with his girlfriend Fiona for the first time in 2021 after they were dating steady since 1996.
https://www.kevinandkell.com/2021/kk0211.html

And thinking of it now, the comic fairly regularly strongly implies sex. Sometimes it's just some cute "oh the married couple is still in love" Rose is Rose type stuff. Sometimes it's more for the sake of a greater plot. But also there's a whole recurring thing that rabbits get loving in March because it's their mating season. They gently caress a whole lot. Which is also relevant to where the current story is going because Rudy and Fiona are moving into a new home in the underground rabbit community.

So that's been taking up space in my mind and now it's poisoned you as well.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tenebrais posted:

Girl Genius had a bit of a record-scratch moment several years ago along those lines:

Dec. 15th, 2006:

:rip: Lars. I don't remember you.

July 1st, 2020:

(Granted, yes, there was time travel involved, but only three-ish years had passed between these events for everyone else.)

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Girl Genius had a bit of a record-scratch moment several years ago along those lines:

Dec. 15th, 2006:

:rip: Lars. I don't remember you.

July 1st, 2020:

(Granted, yes, there was time travel involved, but only three-ish years had passed between these events for everyone else.)

Girl Genius is interesting because you have some parts where days or weeks pass by off-screen in a few pages and that's good pacing, and then you have like one in-comic day take years of real time but it's filled with one plot event after another. And if you wanted to edit it to be tigher, you either sacrifice valuable characterization or breather moments. It'd have to be an entirely different story if you wanted it to be snappier. The Foglios are really about the journey rather than the destination.

edit: They are also clearly writing for the archival readers/book collectors. I recently started reading the comic for the first time and barring some very small pacing hiccups it flows real well, it's a real page-turner if you read it archivally (skipping the filler side-stories, which are fun but wreck the momentum).

isasphere fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 15, 2024

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

isasphere posted:

edit: They are also clearly writing for the archival readers/book collectors. I recently started reading the comic for the first time and barring some very small pacing hiccups it flows real well, it's a real page-turner if you read it archivally (skipping the filler side-stories, which are fun but wreck the momentum).

Pretty much. It began as a physical comic book and while it hasn't even quite retained that format's pacing, it's still definitely never been written to be read a single page at a time.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

There is something wrong in how her breasts look on second panel but I cannot put my finger on it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

There is something wrong in how her breasts look on second panel but I cannot put my finger on it.

Too small?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She should be a bit more restricted if her dress is tight enough not to fall off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Szarrukin posted:

*zooms in and out at cartoon breasts for 10 mins* for starters they're in a pushed very high up by a corset or something shape/position while not actually being pushed up by anything so it looks like she's being groped by a ghost. I don't mean the usual bad titty art weightless boobs or weird spheres, shapewise they're a perfectly fine rendition of that particular rounding you get when you pointedly push a pair of large breasts very high up for prominence, there's "just" nothing pushing them.

Where it gets properly brain itchy is the necklace is disguising/interfering with the top of the interior cleavage lines. You can tell they're there if you check, but not at casual glance and there's no reason for your brain to mentally fill them in (or rather no reason to unconsciously double back and register them for you) because the visual clothing cues should put everything in a lower and more relaxed position.

So when you're skimming you see lift shaping on the upper outer edges while everything else is saying they're in the shape you'd expect gravity to dictate even if they do seem to start at her clavicles. When you deliberately go back and check wtf is going on you see the cleavage properly so the too high and too escher problem morphs to the minor issue that she's wearing a loose comfy low-cut top over a skin-tight corset of transparent aluminum, and then when you shrug and stop concentrating the cleavage shaping disappears again.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 19, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think the art style is just kind of bad

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Clearly we're meant to assume she's using gravitational control systems in her wardrobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I've never read GG, never been my thing, but uh....why does the old art from the first few strips look way better than the newer stuff??? What are these awful mouths? Why does everything look like my eyes are crusty?