Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The best part of that poster is the term "rapid fire revolver" since the guy writing it definitely didn't learn any new Russian vocabulary since before the invention of the submachine gun.

As someone who has fired a Nagant revolver my comment on it being rapid fire is: lol, lmao even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Cyrano4747 posted:

As someone who has fired a Nagant revolver my comment on it being rapid fire is: lol, lmao even.

I assume they meant the leaflet called an SMG "rapid fire revolver" for lack of a better term

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xakura posted:

I assume they meant the leaflet called an SMG "rapid fire revolver" for lack of a better term

Right. The correct term for SMG in Russian was pistolet-pulemyot, or pistol-machinegun. Since the weapon was rare in pre-revolution and even pre-Winter War Russian & Soviet armies, the translator didn't know the word so they must have looked into contemporary Finnish term for LMG, "fast rifle" and then changed this into "fast revolver", not even "fast pistol" for some reason.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Here is a website on the Iraqi surrender leaflets mentioned up-thread.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Do soldiers get prizes for seizing intact equipment? I know in the age of sail grabbing an enemy ship got a pay out for the ship, if joe and his friends manage to seize an intact tank or some cannons do they get a pay out?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Right. The correct term for SMG in Russian was pistolet-pulemyot, or pistol-machinegun. Since the weapon was rare in pre-revolution and even pre-Winter War Russian & Soviet armies, the translator didn't know the word so they must have looked into contemporary Finnish term for LMG, "fast rifle" and then changed this into "fast revolver", not even "fast pistol" for some reason.

Ahhhhh ok that makes sense.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Alchenar posted:

And then there's the cannibalism.

Christ that just reminds me of the book on Singapore I have thats all "this group of survivors was lost at sea for weeks" or whatever and they go through horrifying conditions and madness and cannibalism and everything else all to land right back in Malaya and get captured by the Japanese they attempted to flee from.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

If someone wanted to escape it would be as easy as waiting for a break in the traffic and making a run for it. Maybe some eager 18 year old who hasn't gotten a chance to shoot a German yet takes a shot at them, but more likely no one even notices. And this happened! I know more than a few people who's grandfathers return from the war tl;dr'd down to "he surrendered to the Allies, got processed as a POW for a bit, and then sneaked off one night and walked home." Especially early on when the POW enclosures were a lot more primitive - if they existed at all - this was pretty doable.

That is pretty much exactly what happened with my grandfather, who was in the Wehrmacht at the time. As he told it, he'd deserted from the eastern front at the end of '44 and spent most of '45 trying to head westwards. At some point he was overtaken and captured by the Red Army, but at that point the provision for POWs was pretty much just sitting them down in some field while a handful of bored soldiers more or less kept an eye on them. It was so unstructured that at some point he basically just kinda got up and wandered off, afterwards managing to walk the rest of the way home.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

POW discussions are an excellent excuse to post Spike Milligan's description of the attack on Dijbel Mahdi, April 9 1943, which he watched from his artillery observation post.

quote:

I got some water from Maunders, then dashed up to my remote control in time to pass fire orders. It was 13.59 hours. At 14.00 the barrage went over followed by the infantry attack. From the crest I watched the P.B.I. going forward, down the slopes of Djbel Mahdi, across the valley and up the slope opposite.

Men fell sideways and lay still, no one stopped, they reached the German F.D.L.’s, from the distance it looked comic. Men jumping out of holes with hands up, men running behind trees, leaping out of windows; it took about an hour. By 3 o’clock we had taken the position, but Jerry counter-attacked, we shelled him, and broke up the attack.

Around a hill comes a British Officer, clowning at the head of about 50 PoW’s from the 1/755 Grenadier Rgt, the young officer was Goose-stepping and shouting in Cod German ‘Zis is our last Territorial demand in Africa.’ Behind him a stiff, bitter-faced Afrika Korp Oberlieutenant marched with all the military dignity he could muster, none of his men looked like the master-race.

As they passed, our lads stood up in their fox-holes farting, and giving Nazi salutes; recalling the ritual of ancient conquerors riding on a palanquin and parading their prisoners of war behind them. Here there were shouts of ‘you square-head bastards' and 'I bet we could beat you at loving football as well'.

And then, a couple of weeks later, they've moved on to Medjez-el-Bab and are much further forward than any heavy gun battery ever expected to be...

quote:

That morning Lt Beauman-Smythe is reccying our area for a better position (like Bexhill I tell him), when four Germans with hands aloft come out of a dugout. ‘Kamerad,’ the spokesman says.

Smythe, unfamiliar with Saxons, was embarrassed. ‘Shoo,’ he says, ‘clear off.’

‘Kamerad Herr General,’ they insisted.

‘You Nix Prisoner, me busy, clear off,’ he said in his best Rugby Referee voice.

However the Germans followed him like lost children.

‘Oh Christ, get them on the truck, and drive them away.’

‘Where to sir,’ says Driver Bennett.

‘Anywhere! Take them somewhere, tell them to get off – say Shoo! – then drive away.’

So Bennett drives them into the vicinity of the 5th Medium Regiment, drops them off and leaves them, whereupon the hapless Germans were immediately fired upon by the Gunners.

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy skepticism about soldiers' war dits, but this one is definitely too good to check.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Greg12 posted:

I enjoy that the Norwegians put the disarmed former combatants to work removing the landmines that they had planted back when they were armed combatants.

("Geneva Convention? How can you be a prisoner of war when there's no war, kameraden? Here's a trowel.")

Kriegsmarine POWs got put to work clearing naval mines around Kiel in '45-46. That command is where Doenitz's lawyer got plucked from during the Nuremberg trials.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

US Foreign Policy posted:

I guess thats where I breakdown on the mental picture from 'You're leading a dozen guys back to the rear' to 'The entire city of Hot Springs, Arkansas in the form of angry men just shwed up and need somewhere to go

I think one thing that you’re neglecting is emotional state and morale. You seem to think here that the surrendering troops are fighting fit and angry. By the time you get to unit sized surrenders the units are either demoralized and uninterested in fighting for let’s call it ideological reasons (end of war Germany, either time, surrender of Baltic soldiers of the red army, etc), or they’re starving, cold/hot, tired, wet/dehydrated and also disinterested in or incapable of fighting. Or they’re out of munitions to keep fighting with. In any case they’re probably not that angry (the angry guys decided to hoof it or go out in a blaze of glory) and even if they get angry after surrendering they’re not really able to do much about it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

vuk83 posted:

Also the Danish :denmark::respek::norway:

Not just a great movie, but the English title is also a great pun.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think one thing that you’re neglecting is emotional state and morale. You seem to think here that the surrendering troops are fighting fit and angry. By the time you get to unit sized surrenders the units are either demoralized and uninterested in fighting for let’s call it ideological reasons (end of war Germany, either time, surrender of Baltic soldiers of the red army, etc), or they’re starving, cold/hot, tired, wet/dehydrated and also disinterested in or incapable of fighting. Or they’re out of munitions to keep fighting with. In any case they’re probably not that angry (the angry guys decided to hoof it or go out in a blaze of glory) and even if they get angry after surrendering they’re not really able to do much about it.

Also, you know that your conduct has a direct impact on your comrades who have been taken prisoner. If your nations prisoners get a reputation for being violent and attempting to escape at every turn you're increasing the chances you or your mates just get shot out of hand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Taking everyone's guns" is also probably Step Zero of becoming a prisoner and while soldiers without guns can certainly cause problems, it's difficult for them to Do War. Even if you leave them bayonets for housekeeping purposes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nessus posted:

"Taking everyone's guns" is also probably Step Zero of becoming a prisoner and while soldiers without guns can certainly cause problems, it's difficult for them to Do War. Even if you leave them bayonets for housekeeping purposes.

Even though we took the Iraqis weapons and crushed them there were a few people in my unit who tried to hang onto one as a souvenir. (Dumb jarheads are dumb jarheads, etc.) At least one nice AK was disassembled and stuffed into the air duct - the big orange hose assembly - on an AAV in the hopes that it could be retrieved when they got home and were reunited with their vehicle. Of course, the vehicles were sent back on MPS ships and went to a different port, so presumably some crewman in a different part of the country found a surprise at work one day.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nenonen posted:

Makes you wonder what a defecting tanker is going to do with 10k rubles

Are you kidding? You can get three beers and a slice of pizza in Stockholm for that!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cessna posted:

Even though we took the Iraqis weapons and crushed them there were a few people in my unit who tried to hang onto one as a souvenir. (Dumb jarheads are dumb jarheads, etc.) At least one nice AK was disassembled and stuffed into the air duct - the big orange hose assembly - on an AAV in the hopes that it could be retrieved when they got home and were reunited with their vehicle. Of course, the vehicles were sent back on MPS ships and went to a different port, so presumably some crewman in a different part of the country found a surprise at work one day.

I’m just imagining a nature documentary about marines hiding AKs for the winter, like squirrels.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Marine with their cheeks all puffed out from crayons for the winter holding the AK to their mouth, turning it in different directions.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

MikeCrotch posted:

Also, you know that your conduct has a direct impact on your comrades who have been taken prisoner. If your nations prisoners get a reputation for being violent and attempting to escape at every turn you're increasing the chances you or your mates just get shot out of hand.

Another way to think of it is that if your city-sized contingent of guys couldn't break through the enemy forces in the area and get back to friendly lines starting from a prepared position and holding guns, vehicles, and ammunition, how well do you think they're going to do after leaving their positions and stockpiled supplies, surrendering all of their communication gear, all heavy weapons, most of their personal weapons, all fighting vehicles, and all or most transport vehicles, especially since friendly lines have probably moved even further back than they were when you surrendered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m just imagining a nature documentary about marines hiding AKs for the winter, like squirrels.

Sound.

https://i.imgur.com/dvQcxZ2.mp4

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

Do soldiers get prizes for seizing intact equipment? I know in the age of sail grabbing an enemy ship got a pay out for the ship, if joe and his friends manage to seize an intact tank or some cannons do they get a pay out?

Not cash prizes, but coming back with a tank would get you an Order of Glory in the Red Army. I read about a guy who got an Order of the Red Star by siphoning gas from knocked out Panthers so his unit could get their repair trucks running again and fix some T-34s as well. Many award orders list captured equipment as a part of the accomplishments.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Not cash prizes, but coming back with a tank would get you an Order of Glory in the Red Army. I read about a guy who got an Order of the Red Star by siphoning gas from knocked out Panthers so his unit could get their repair trucks running again and fix some T-34s as well. Many award orders list captured equipment as a part of the accomplishments.

There's a virgin/chat meme to be made about German tankers being unable to conduct basic offensive operations for lack of gas and Soviet tankers drinking the (petroleum) blood of their fallen enemies to continue the march on Berlin.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That was radar juice

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FMguru posted:

As a naval officer I abhor the implication that the Royal Navy is a haven for cannibalism. It is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control, and that it is the R.A.F. who now suffer the largest casualties in this area. And what do you think the Argylls ate in Aden? Arabs? Yours etc. Captain B. J. Smethwick in a white wine sauce with shallots, mushrooms and garlic

Posts you can hear

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fortunately you don't need to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoNAOfkXxc

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I did like Barthas' anecdote about walking into a German bunker and finding 50 Germans with their hands in the air next to a dead officer who'd been hit in the head with a shovel. The other officer managed to shoot Barthas' captain though during the surrender. (They both survived the incident IIRC)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Meeting the Enemy, a German officer describes how after two days lost in North Africa without food or water, he and his friend were ready to either rejoin the Germans or surrender to the British, whatever came first. He approached a small British camp at night with his hands up, and walked all the way up to their fire without being noticed. He cleared his throat to get their attention, and one of the Brits scrambled for a rifle so they could "capture" him.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
(cross-post from the cold war thread in TFR since I figured this thread might enjoy this sort of nerdery too)

TheFluff posted:

Here's a fun holiday watch: the Swedish tank museum Arsenalen, under its director Stefan Karlsson, lifts the power pack out of one of its strv 103's to replace a starter motor on the piston engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yLpP2LQwE

Karlsson mentioned in a comment on Facebook that by the book this operation is supposed to take no more than 8 hours and by his estimate they managed that timeframe at the museum as well, although they didn't do it all in one session. In the field trials in West Germany in the early 1970's the crews did this and the reverse operation (installing it back in the tank again) in the field overnight on several occasions. That was very early in the career of the vehicle; it had a lot of teething troubles. There was a crane frame thingy you could mount on top of the tank to lift the pack out, so you didn't have to use a truck with its own crane to do it.

Note the interrupted screw thread on the barrel at 8:58; it looks and functions exactly like the replaceable barrel on a machine gun.

edit: here's a pic of the crane attachment I mentioned above:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 20, 2023

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Today I learned about cycloramas, which could be considered an early form of VR. They're giant paintings (the one in the link is roughly 40 feet by 400 feet) that were painted to be hung in a dome where people would look at them from an observation platform in the center, giving a view like you're in the middle of a frozen scene of action. The perspective was done to fit the expected shape of the room, and the floor would often have some shrubbery, rocks, tents, guns, and mannequin bodies near the edges to enhance the 3d effect. Battle scenes were a popular subject, and they came into vogue in the US at the right time for a lot of Civil war battle scenes.

The particular one that came up is interesting for US military history, because it depicted what was a Union victory originally, then was modified first to depict the Confederates more gallantly, then to present the fight as a confederate victory, then to use the modern 'Confederate Flag' instead of historically correct ones, and eventually even to tie-in with Gone With the Wind (they made one of the 'body on the ground' mannequins look like Rhett Butler). It's now been restored to its original state and has an exhibit on the history of how it was modified over time.

I hadn't seen this in any of the Milhist thread versions (though I haven't read all of the old ones), and I thought people here would find it interesting.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/atlanta-famed-cyclorama-tell-truth-civil-war-once-again-180970715/

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lmao never noticed this detail in this illustration of the conquest of Egypt by Cambyses II (AKA "𐎣𐎲𐎢𐎪𐎡𐎹 da Pimp").

HURRY UP PRIVATE FIROUZ! WE NEED MORE KITTENS AND WE NEED THEM PRONTO! MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!

Taishi Ci
Apr 12, 2015

Book of Song posted:

For some time now, although the King of Lâm Ấp, Phạm Dươngmại, had been presenting tribute to Song, he had not ceased attacking or raiding Song territory, while the tribute he did send was meager and crude. Emperor Wen thus sent the Inspector of Jiaozhou, Tan Hezhi, to campaign against him.

Zong Que of Nanyang commandery was from a family which for generations had been aloof jurists, yet he had developed a passion for martial affairs, often saying, "If only I could ride the billowing winds or crest the boundless waves!" Thus when Tan Hezhi was ordered to campaign against Lâm Ấp, Zong Que worked up the nerve to ask to accompany the army; Emperor Wen appointed him as General Who Rouses Valor, and Tan Hezhi sent him ahead to lead the vanguard.

Phạm Dươngmại poured out the full power of his state to come meet them in battle, and his army fielded elephants, draped in barding with no gaps from front to back. But Zong Que mused, "I've heard that in foreign lands there is a creature called a lion, whose majesty subdues all other beasts." Therefore he cut up images of lions and had them displayed in front of the elephants; the elephants indeed ran away in terror, and the soldiers of Lâm Ấp were greatly defeated. Tan Hezhi thus conquered Lâm Ấp, though Phạm Dươngmại and his sons managed to slip away.

The Song army captured countless numbers of treasures the likes of which none had ever seen before. Yet Zong Que claimed none of it for himself, and on the day he returned home, his clothes and hairpin were as austere as ever.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The elephants were going to do that anyway, on account of being elephants. Not good battle animals.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The elephant-populated parts of India are wretched horse country because they're too wet and the horses' hooves rot out from under them when you try to maintain sizable herds. They still bought horses from foreign importers and used them, because horses are wildly better war animals than elephants.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Funny how into them the Diadochi were though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Funny how into them the Diadochi were though.

Funnily, one of the things elephants were great at is scaring horses, especially horses that were unfamiliar with them. They had some shock value but, for example, Ptolemy's infantry defeated and captured them without too much trouble at Gaza.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
First off thank you for everyone's spectacular replies. The photos of the masses of surrendered Germans both illustrates my confusion but kind of answers it nicely.

I think I should say movies probably messed me up in thinking POWs are soldiers eager to get out and go back to War. As opposed to 18-20 year olds who are exhausted, miserable, and would like to do anything other than More War.

I blame movies showing soldiers as in their mid 30's and full of patriotic angst.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

First off thank you for everyone's spectacular replies. The photos of the masses of surrendered Germans both illustrates my confusion but kind of answers it nicely.

I think I should say movies probably messed me up in thinking POWs are soldiers eager to get out and go back to War. As opposed to 18-20 year olds who are exhausted, miserable, and would like to do anything other than More War.

I blame movies showing soldiers as in their mid 30's and full of patriotic angst.

One thing to note is that it depends a LOT on the soldier. Officers tend to be a bit more gung-ho about escape, for example. There's lots written about it being the duty of an officer to try and escape and therefore tie up enemy resources guarding your annoying rear end. I don't have anything definitive to point at, but if you just flip through accounts of POW escapes in WW2 it's almost always officers, whether we're talking Germans or Americans/Brits. I'll note that here I'm talking about serious escape attempts, not poo poo like German POWs in Nebraska sneaking under the barbed wire, walking to the nearest bar, and then calling the camp for a pick up and making the guards pay their tabs.

But yeah, all of that is the romantic exception to the rule. poo poo like The Great Escape did happen, but it wasn't the norm.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Movies dont generally show the massed surrenders you asked about initially. They show small groups of motivated people, aircrew and similar, who dont feel the battle, or the war, is lost.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

wiegieman posted:

The elephant-populated parts of India are wretched horse country because they're too wet and the horses' hooves rot out from under them when you try to maintain sizable herds. They still bought horses from foreign importers and used them, because horses are wildly better war animals than elephants.

This was a mild mind-blown moment for me when I learned it (in The Gunpowder Age iirc), coming from how strategy games portray elephants. I think it was meant to be the same in Southeast Asia.

Horses were always more desirable even if some societies considered elephants prestigious; in the places that elephants had primacy, it's just that horses straight up had to be continually imported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine you could have probably done selective breeding for a more tractable war elephant, but elephant generations are comparable to human generations so, uh, at best it would have been like that story about the forest that they called in to some Scandavian country. "OK, the trees are done, all the mainmasts u need. Come pick them up."