Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

bedpan posted:

once the war is over, we in the west need to aggressively track down the putinists and tankies inside the military who drip-fed NATO weapons and equipment to Ukraine in just enough numbers that the Russians could develop countermeasures but not enough to alter the outcome of the war

this is the biggest spy case since the Rosenbergs and no one is talking about it

Been waiting for the NAFO crew to turn on the supporters for Ukraine for the absolutely disgraceful lack of commitment to following through with their promises for military aid. Zelenskyy needs to ditch the "we have to be grateful for what we've received" line and start calling these fuckers out for (actually) stabbing Ukraine in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

bedpan posted:

once the war is over, we in the west need to aggressively track down the putinists and tankies inside the military who drip-fed NATO weapons and equipment to Ukraine in just enough numbers that the Russians could develop countermeasures but not enough to alter the outcome of the war

this is the biggest spy case since the Rosenbergs and no one is talking about it

NAFO have the most incredible brains, it owns.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
this thread and others have been saying since day 1 that the west is not Ukraines friend and that this entire war has been at the expense, not gain, of Ukraines security

propping up ultra nationalists and promising them unlimited support has devastated the lives of everyday Ukrainians - the prospect of peace was there only for it to be squandered. and after the west predictably has stabbed them in the back, the NAFO crowd blaming a fifth column of Putinists is going to be the natural evaluation rather than seeing it as the west once again throwing its proxies away when it’s no longer useful

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

hope you fellow ukraineheads didn't miss out on the subtle cameo in the newest installment of the global war on humanity-verse

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Starsfan posted:

Seems like the goal for the Ukrainian military is to mobilize 450,000 to 500,000 additional people in 2024. Zelenskyy has some concerns with the idea:

https://kyivindependent.com/zelensky-military-proposes-to-mobilize-450-500-new-soldiers/

It's an interesting number because it basically matches what the Russians are reporting as the number of new recruits they achieved for 2023 through various channels which I believe is in the area of 480,000.

It's also worth pointing out that this reads to me as a continuation of Zelenskyy's efforts to position in messaging as the reasonable adult in the room having to struggle against the Army leadership. This follows up on Zelenskyy's announcement from a few weeks back that he was ending the pointless and wasteful offensives conducted by the military and recommending a transition to the defensive with the goal of preserving Ukraine's forces.

Now we are told that Zelenskyy is weighing the mobilization plan advocated for by the military carefully, with his foremost concern being the morale and well being of the troops already at the front. Zelenskyy is claimed to be categorically against the conscription of women, which is likely not a popular idea in Ukraine. It's some good posturing by Zelenskyy I have to say, likely fully aware of his slip in popularity amongst Ukrainians and in the Ukrainian army specifically.

Yeah I strongly doubt that Ukraine has the ability to mobilize half a million men in a year. The conscription centers seem like they're still a mess. They'd need to dramatically multiply their efficiency and make the necessary legal/organizational reforms to enforce the draft effectively and do all of that without causing a rupture in civil society. I wonder if what really happened is Zelensky asked the military to draw up plans to go on the offensive in 2024 and was told that the army would need 300,000 men in new formations plus 200,000 replacements to consider it.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

sum posted:

Yeah I strongly doubt that Ukraine has the ability to mobilize half a million men in a year.

Who said anything about men

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Starsfan posted:

Been waiting for the NAFO crew to turn on the supporters for Ukraine for the absolutely disgraceful lack of commitment to following through with their promises for military aid. Zelenskyy needs to ditch the "we have to be grateful for what we've received" line and start calling these fuckers out for (actually) stabbing Ukraine in the back.

At this point Zelensky himself is every bit as culpable as NATO. He did not necessarily have to listen to Boris Johnson

"But he would've been couped if he sued for peace in Aprik 2022" yeah probably. If he actually gave a poo poo about the lives of Ukranians he should've taken the peace deal anyway. Never, ever trust the west. They will leave you out to dry.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

At this point Zelensky himself is every bit as culpable as NATO. He did not necessarily have to listen to Boris Johnson

"But he would've been couped if he sued for peace in Aprik 2022" yeah probably. If he actually gave a poo poo about the lives of Ukranians he should've taken the peace deal anyway. Never, ever trust the west. They will leave you out to dry.

lmao @ people being banned for saying this back in April 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's very clear Zelensky was never willing to die for his country, but very willing to sacrifice millions of his countrymen for his foreign sponsors. Any objective assessment would conclude he is traitorous scum.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

lol

I'm honestly surprised you don't see more groups surrendering in mass. Trying to Searching for "Ukraine surrender" on Google pulls up a bunch of new stories of Ukraine accusing Russia of shooting surrendering soldiers. It really feels like a story pushed by Ukraine to stop so many of their own soldiers from surrendering.

to surrender en masse you kinda need a mass of soldiers

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

It's very clear Zelensky was never willing to die for his country, but very willing to sacrifice millions of his countrymen for his foreign sponsors. Any objective assessment would conclude he is traitorous scum.

Traitorous? He's a politician in a liberal democracy, his loyalty is to the institution of imperialist Western capitalism and no one else. Certainly you can't say he betrayed them.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

And as FF pointed out the other day, Ukraine hasn't even taken necessary steps to mobilize their economy for wartime. No nationalization of key industries, for example.

Zelensky will sacrifice the lives of Ukrainians, but inconvenience capital? Never.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, I don't know which industries they would really nationalize to get them out of their predicament. Most of their heavy industry was in the Donbass and their MIC is a smoking crater. Obviously, capital wasn't going to care but...yeah the war has shut down most of the energy intensive parts of the Ukrainian economy.

I also don't know how you would improve the efficiency of conscription at this point beyond just hiring more conscript hunters to check out cellars or whatever. It is also going to be hard for them to pass up taking bribes when people will do anything to avoid service.

------

As for what went on during the early days of the war, there were certainly times this thread (or the previous version) was on a razor's edge. It was very 9/11 feeling for months.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the ukraine should surrender

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Putin orders transfer of OMV, Wintershall Dea stakes in Russian ventures

Some more Western assets in Russia being transferred to local companies.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't know that Zelenskyy could have nationalized any industry and still gotten all the Western aid. He set his country up to be a Western puppet and that's not something you get to do as a Western puppet.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Phigs posted:

I don't know that Zelenskyy could have nationalized any industry and still gotten all the Western aid. He set his country up to be a Western puppet and that's not something you get to do as a Western puppet.

Ukraine even accelerated their privatization efforts after Feb. 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's also what the US does in the Philippines: we have a "Visiting Forces Agreement" where the US technically does not "have" or "own" a base in the Philippines, they just have an agreement by which US forces can "visit" the bases that the Philippine military already has

not coincidentally, these bases are also the same ones that the Americans did build and own and have, right up until they were asked to leave in 1991 because they didn't want to keep paying for the lease anymore

the other more recent agreement is the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement, whereby the Philippines gets to build new bases, or refurbish existing ones, along American designs, with American funding, and with a proviso that Americans can use these bases as their base, but since it is still technically owned by the Philippine government, the US does not have any bases in the Philippines

according to these definitions does the united states even technically own guantanomo bay

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i don't think there was ever a chance that ol' pandora papers zelensky was ever going to make any decisions of his own accord. guy's entire career is because he got close to some billionaire media guy and he's been involved with weird embezzlement schemes for over a decade. he just does what the richest/scariest guy tells him to

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

one of zelensky's "reforms" was a list of rich people who couldn't benefit from privatization lol

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Hatebag posted:

i don't think there was ever a chance that ol' pandora papers zelensky was ever going to make any decisions of his own accord. guy's entire career is because he got close to some billionaire media guy and he's been involved with weird embezzlement schemes for over a decade. he just does what the richest/scariest guy tells him to

Dunno if it's been posted yet (probably has) but I thought this was essential reading to get a good framing on just how hosed up Zels is
https://www.lobster-magazine.co.uk/...-hybrid-regime/

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I also don't know how you would improve the efficiency of conscription at this point beyond just hiring more conscript hunters to check out cellars or whatever. It is also going to be hard for them to pass up taking bribes when people will do anything to avoid service.

I think the basic issue is that pretty much all the undrafted men left are soft objectors to the war. Like they might nominally agree that Ukraine should fight until ultimate victory or whatever but more importantly they very strongly do not to be on the front themselves. So trying to get 500,000 of those guys under arms is going to be extremely unpopular and the formations you end up with might be politically unreliable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

I think the basic issue is that pretty much all the undrafted men left are soft objectors to the war. Like they might nominally agree that Ukraine should fight until ultimate victory or whatever but more importantly they very strongly do not to be on the front themselves. So trying to get 500,000 of those guys under arms is going to be extremely unpopular and the formations you end up with might be politically unreliable.

It also seems like the polls are probably not exactly reliable; I could definitely see someone not wanting to say anything over the phone considering the roundups that the SBU has been doing. It makes sense they have been taking generally old men from villages; they are going to have the least pull, probably don't have the cash to buy their way out, and again, they may have had some military service, which allows them to fit easier into that type of mindset.

It is hot potato at this point though, no one wants to be the "bad guy" that authorizes unpopular measures, especially not Zelensky. They very need 500,000 troops to be competitive with the Russians at this point, but they don't only need to be motivated, they literally need all of Europe's weaponry balled together.

------

Supposedly, Scholtz after the Supreme Court decision, has been trying to pay for Germany's portion for aid with significant cuts on spending and higher taxes, particularly on farmers. Even then, the equipment they could hand over would be a relative pittance to Ukrainian needs.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Dunno if it's been posted yet (probably has) but I thought this was essential reading to get a good framing on just how hosed up Zels is
https://www.lobster-magazine.co.uk/...-hybrid-regime/

Hmmm this Volodymyr Zelensky seems like a bad egg, someone really should look into whether he's the right person to have in charge of the country at a time like this

It was a great article, thank you for posting it.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://twitter.com/talhaahmad967/status/1737242405135593756

Why the ever loving gently caress is this guy fighting in Gaza and not Ukraine

Oh who am I kidding, I know why. He thinks no one in Haza will fight back.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wouldnt it be a better strategy to copy the tactics of someone who actually won their war

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_rdBzEc4k

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

bedpan posted:

Antibody theory of warfare

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

bedpan posted:

god drat these people ripping off my posts

i just think it's amazing when coincidences happen

a miracle

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Source: NBC News

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/zelenskyy-putin-year-end-conference-rcna130656

The war in Ukraine is revitalizing Putin, as Zelenskyy struggles with resources and morale
By Yuliya Talmazan
Yuliya Talmazan is a London-based journalist.
Dec. 21, 2023, 5:09 AM +08

Russia’s Vladimir Putin and Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy have arrived at two very different points in the war.

A year ago, Zelenskyy received a standing ovation in Congress and promises of billions in aid to help fight Putin’s invading army. The Russian president, meanwhile, appeared to shun the spotlight. His army was losing ground as he fended off challenges from within his own ranks.

On Tuesday, the roles appeared reversed. Putin seemed confident and victorious at a Defense Ministry briefing, while Zelenskyy looked beleaguered at a hastily organized year-end news conference.

The Russian leader sounded buoyant as he touted Russia’s war effort at the briefing, surrounded by his top military brass — a stark contrast to just six months ago when his grip on power and the country’s military leadership was threatened by a mutiny and Kyiv’s new counteroffensive was expected to drive the Russians back as far as their own borders.

Putin’s display of confidence is hardly surprising, said Mark Galeotti, the head of the Russia-focused consultancy Mayak Intelligence. “Putin is in a stronger position now than he has been at any point since the invasion, so he has some reason to crow,” Galeotti, who has written extensively about the Russian president, said.

Zelenskyy, meanwhile, is in a very different spot, he added, falling back on his tried-and-tested tactic of invoking a moral obligation by his allies to help Ukraine as he appeared to take a veiled stab at Washington.

“I am sure that the United States of America will not betray us and that what we agreed with the United States will be fully implemented,” Zelenskyy told reporters.

President Joe Biden, one of Zelenskyy’s closest allies, has asked for $61 billion in new aid for Ukraine, but Congress has yet to greenlight it. Zelenskyy returned frustrated from a visit to the U.S. last week with no solid guarantees of more aid.

Zelenskyy's invoking the word “betrayal” is part of the “moral blackmail” strategy that has worked well for the Ukrainian leader for the last two years, Galeotti said, but it can only go so far and is starting to wear thin in the West.

“I think it reflects the fact that not only was he disappointed by the outcome of his trip to the U.S., but it also left him looking weaker at home,” he said. “He is meant to be the miracle worker, who goes and suddenly is able to unblock these kinds of problems.”

In the early weeks of the war, Zelenskyy was celebrated for his relentless efforts to get the world on his country’s side. But his star power appears to be fading as war fatigue is setting in, nearly two years into the conflict.

Ukraine’s armed forces surprised many last year after managing to not only hold back the Russians, but liberate some parts of Ukraine. It has led to high expectations for the counteroffensive launched by Kyiv in June, but the Western-backed campaign has largely fizzled out in recent months, with Ukraine unable to mount any breakthroughs. It has undermined the confidence of Ukraine’s allies that the war is winnable and has led to qualms in Washington and Europe about whether providing more aid for Ukraine is sustainable.

It has also led to internal turmoil, with Zelenskyy appearing at odds with his top general, who said the war had reached a stalemate.

Putin has tried to capitalize on the fact that the momentum for both Ukraine and Zelenskyy has faltered, Galeotti said, projecting his self-assuredness.

On Tuesday, he said his troops were “holding the initiative” in Ukraine and have gained military experience that’s unrivaled globally. While Ukraine, he said, was suffering “heavy losses” and has largely squandered its reserves.

He bestowed “Hero of Russia” medals on some of his troops later that day and shared a glass of sparkling wine with them, as he said he was ready to “go till the end” in protecting Russia (Putin has cast the war in Ukraine as Russia’s existential fight against the West.)

ust six months ago, the Kremlin was faced with internal wrangling about how Russian military leadership was handling the war, culminating in the mutiny of longtime regime loyalist Yevgeny Prigozhin.

Putin appeared weakened and stayed out of the public eye, but after the revolt was quashed and Ukraine’s allies started doubting the course of its counteroffensive, the Russian leader appeared reinvigorated, last week holding his biggest news conference since the war began and earlier this month announcing his bid for next year’s presidential election.

“There is no denying that it has been a bad few months for Ukraine and that Putin, having survived the Prigozhin rebellion, is in a much better personal position than he seemed to be in the summer,” said Michael Clarke, visiting professor of war studies at King’s College London.

Zelenskyy, despite the setbacks, is as determined as ever, Clarke said, with more than 60% of Ukrainians still supporting him, according to a recent poll. Albeit, that has dropped from 84% last year.

The Ukrainian leader told the media Tuesday it has been a “difficult year” for Ukraine, but categorically denied that his country was on its way to losing the war. Kyiv is still set on liberating all occupied lands, he insisted.

“He is certainly tired and facing some important internal opposition in Kyiv,” Clarke said.

“Exactly the same had happened to [Winston] Churchill by 1943 — he was tired, irascible, and became increasingly unpopular with the public, leading to his defeat in the 1945 election,” he added. “But that didn’t actually detract very much from his effectiveness as a war leader.”

fizziest has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Dec 21, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The contrast of "Putin is growing stronger" and "Putin is at his weakest" between the different news depending on the day it was published is so loving tiring.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The contrast of "Putin is growing stronger" and "Putin is at his weakest" between the different news depending on the day it was published is so loving tiring.

… the followers must be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Countries who have done the most damage to humanity, in order:

1. UK
2. US
3. Austria

Probably continues:

4. Spain
5. France
6. Germany
7. The Netherlands
8. Belgium
9. Japan

Though I'm a lot less sure on the ordering of the non-top 3 part of the list.

smdh at that ordering don't trust the animes

quote:

The Japanese murdered 30 million civilians while "liberating" what it called the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere from colonial rule. About 23 million of these were ethnic Chinese. It is a crime that in sheer numbers is far greater than the Nazi Holocaust.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Big Z's popularity was tanking prior to the war. Appealing to the belligerence of western Ukraine as his eastern Ukrainian base got tired of his corruption and failure to reconcile with Russia was a calculated move. War breaking out gave him a lifeline, and Boris Johnson promising him unlimited support to conquer the lost territories was a golden opportunity to be a big hero for the history books. The guy has been cultivating a personal brand the whole war, he never stopped being a TV star. Zelensky is fine with sending as many people as necessary straight into the rotating knives to boost his own brand

VoicesCanBe posted:

Remember the fun times we had when the thread found the Ukraine privatization site, brought to you by USAID?

Also there were *some* labor sector reforms to support the war! They cut a bunch of worker protections!

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Dec 21, 2023

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

… the followers must be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

It's hard to fight a war against the Schrodinger Russian army. It is both a powerless paper tiger about to collapse once they run our of meatbag and a force who will threaten all of Europe if it does not lose right now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
[Ukraine] I'm sure the USA will not betray us

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Chinese Traders and Moroccan Ports: How Russia Flouts Global Tech Bans

quote:

[....]

In the 22 months since the war in Ukraine began, Russia has largely continued getting the technology it needs to keep its economy running. After export restrictions and corporate bans initially led to trade disruptions, Russian suppliers found loopholes and cultivated workarounds. Almost no piece of commercial hardware — including basic telecom equipment, surveillance gear, microchips for advanced computing and weapons systems, and drones — has been too hard to get.

Russian authorities and companies have united to take advantage of cracks in the global response. They have tapped webs of intermediaries, including middlemen in China, and disguised their activity through shell companies, according to leaked Russian government emails, trade documents and records of online conversations between Russian engineers obtained by The Times.

They have also turned to countries that have staked out neutral positions in the conflict, such as Morocco and Turkey, and used their ports to receive goods from global tech manufacturing centers that are then placed on other ships headed toward Russia, a process known as transshipment. The prohibited tech products were then made available to buy from well-known suppliers and on easy-to-use e-commerce sites like Nag.

Flexibility has been paramount. In weekly emails, Russian trade officials shared tips on which ports would transfer goods, who would trade in rubles and where Russian-flagged ships could be repaired, the documents show. If one supplier stopped selling, they found another. If a shipping route was cut off, new ones took up the slack.

The documents offer a rare glimpse of a race in which Russian traders have reliably stayed one step ahead of U.S.-led efforts to cut them off. Their success shows how difficult it is to stop the global movement of commercial technology, raising questions about the effectiveness of Western trade restrictions and whether tech giants should better control the destinations of their products — and if it is even possible to do so.

Understaffed government investigators in the United States and Europe cannot keep pace with the often shadowy flow of goods, said Elina Ribakova, an economist who has studied sanctions evasion at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a U.S. think tank. Major tech companies, she added, must do more to cut off supplies to Russia.

“It’s an endless Whac-a-Mole game,” she said. “There should be alarm, particularly among the policymakers, that we have announced a lot of sanctions and may believe they are working but in reality they are not.”

As sanctions against Russia took effect last year, ProSoft, a Moscow-based electronics provider, experienced the fallout.
Officials at the company, which sells biometric surveillance equipment and tech for heavy industry and critical infrastructure, emailed the Russian government trade mission in Morocco for help, according to a message reviewed by The Times.

“Just a week ago, it was not difficult to ship them to us from American and European suppliers,” a ProSoft executive wrote, referring to now-banned tech. Now “we run the risk of starting to reduce production (there are small reserves in the warehouse).”

A spreadsheet attached to the message listed hundreds of American, European and Japanese microchips and sensors that ProSoft needed.

[....]

In Morocco, Russia’s trade office, which looks after the country’s economic interests overseas, also helped Russian companies regain their footing. After ProSoft reached out for help, trade officials jumped into action.

“We’re in constant contact with the general director” of Morocco’s state-run port of Tanger Med, one Russian official wrote in an April 2022 email. “In the event of ships entering under the Russian flag, there will be no problems with maintenance.”

A spokeswoman for Tanger Med, which hugs the Strait of Gibraltar, said the port leased space to shipping companies and had “no information nor responsibility” about vessels moving through the complex. The port, which handles more than eight million containers annually connecting to 180 international ports, was “not aware” of shipped goods calling at Russian ports before or after being at Tanger Med, or maintenance of Russian ships being performed, she added.

By November 2022, Russian trade officials in Morocco were bragging that their “direct support” had turned the African country into an electronics transshipment hub. Goods from Taiwan, China and other manufacturing centers were offloaded at Tanger Med and then placed on other ships headed to Russia.

[....]

An analysis of ProSoft’s offerings found nearly 300 products for sale that contain Intel chips, as well as components made by Nvidia and an A.I. optimized computer chip designed by Google. Although it is unclear how the imports were ultimately used, American chips have been found on Russian missiles and drones, according to weapons experts.

[....]

In October 2022, Russian trade officials said they had established 20 operators at the Tanger Med port to "promptly carry out" the logistics of getting cargo loaded onto “feeder” vessels ultimately bound for Russia, according to a weekly shipping report. Another report noted that ports in Turkey, a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, had accepted payment in rubles.

“The sanctions restrictions have been successfully overcome,” one government report said of a Turkish trade route this March.

[....]

China and Hong Kong supplied 85 percent of semiconductors imported to Russia from March 2022 to September 2023, up from 27 percent before the conflict, according to the Silverado Policy Accelerator, a nonprofit that studies Russian trade routes.

Nag, which sells hardware to regional telecoms and surveillance contractors, is one major platform. Through intermediaries, it has bought roughly $100 million in restricted American tech since the war began, according to trade data. In total, it imported $150 million in hardware from China this year, the data show. Communications gear, which has ostensibly been prohibited from reaching Russia, is readily available on its site, filtered by price, product type and quantity.

Nag employees have talked about logistical challenges that international sanctions have caused, according to internal communications. In May 2022, a Nag employee wrote to a Russian customer that “the old transit system has ended,” delaying delivery of $20,000 of Juniper equipment. A month later, Nag followed up to say that the problem had been resolved and that the gear would arrive in the coming months.

[....]

At the F.S.B. offices in Yekaterinburg, the Cisco gear that Convex engineers installed sat alongside routers made by Juniper, according to Convex’s records. Less than a year later, the availability of Western tech was so abundant that Convex’s engineers could shop around.

In a conversation on Convex’s internal messaging system this year, engineers focused on a new supplier that they had “spotted.” Operating under the name sale-server.ru, the supplier had plenty of restricted name-brand technology from HP, IBM and others. More important, the price was right.

“Cheaper than Nag,” one Convex employee wrote.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
globalism ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

BULBASAUR posted:

[Ukraine] I'm sure the USA will not betray us