Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

I got it for my 39th birthday.

I prefer that cat, but the cabinet is still very fun. Apart from Paperboy. Paperboy without analogue controls is loving horrible.

I got one when I was 30 and having that big ol "OH GOD 30" Crisis.

Turns out it was mostly a lot of fun for most parties I had, evrrybody loves some MK3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Arcade machines are great. Built mine when i moved out as part of establishing it as my personal space. My kid loves it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got one when I was 30 and having that big ol "OH GOD 30" Crisis.

Turns out it was mostly a lot of fun for most parties I had, evrrybody loves some MK3

and Joust! Root beer tapper is also a big hit here.

I really wish it could play NBA Jam. Maybe the TMNT or Simpsons arcade games. You can get those on separate cabs but I want one that does it all (yes, yes, I'm going to have to build my own. I have a retropie on the big tv in the meantime)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I tried to buy a movie theater's NBA Jam cabinet when they were closing but they wanted $6,000 for it :argh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

If you build your own you can also play shredders revenge sor4 and other cool modern stuff on it. And other not so modern stuff cause emulating old games on your arcade stick is also a blast. Just sayin.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried to buy a movie theater's NBA Jam cabinet when they were closing but they wanted $6,000 for it :argh:

That's a steal

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would love to build my own MAME cabinet but I suck at carpentry

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You could always buy a kit or pick up an old busted cabinet and spruce it up.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Devils Affricate posted:

It's definitely an interesting and so-bad-it's-good movie to enjoy as an adult, but you're a goddamn liar if you say you weren't disappointed by it as a kid for being so completely divorced from the video games. 10 year old you would have massively preferred the new CGI Mario movie.

I wasn’t upset by it not being like the game because how do you make a live action movie about Mario? I remember the discussion.

The new Mario benefits from having plots and relatively advanced cg characters that were developed over a long span of time and didn’t exist in 93

We could have had something like live action cartoon Mario but it would have looked a lot like a very young children’s show like lazy town or something. We could have had cartoon Mario which I might have liked but I don’t imagine that doing well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quote-Unquote posted:

The original Mortal Kombat film has one of the best theme songs of all time, to the point that I forget that it does not actually appear in the games. It's a weird, mostly-bloodless adaptation of a game famous for being (at the time) very gory, but it's a fun little B movie.

Here's my new cat standing on my MKII cabinet.

I'm the feliway dispenser

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I would love to build my own MAME cabinet but I suck at carpentry

You'd finish it and be bored in 3.4 seconds, it's better served in your memory

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

You've heard of elf on the shelf, now get ready for

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

What the gently caress is the first boss in altered beast supposed to be?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/alteredbeast/images/2/2c/Boss1.gif/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/280?cb=20121121211717

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've never seen the mario movie. It looked so bad and got such bad reviews that I've always ignored it. Now I kinda want to.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It has the most lore-correct visual depiction of a goomba, if you go by the descriptions given in the Silmariollion

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 20, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

I wasn’t upset by it not being like the game because how do you make a live action movie about Mario? I remember the discussion.

Gee, it's almost as if it was a fundamentally bad idea

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Altered beast's bosses are completely unrelated to any greek mythology, but according to this it's name's Aggar.

quote:

The first sorcerer transforms into Aggar, a grotesque demonic golem made of rock and human bones. His method of attack is throwing a barrage of heads which drift down to the ground like a missile salvo.

I looked that name up, and there is a demon in the abrahamic extended fanfiction called Agares who's described as "an old man, riding upon a crocodile, and carrying a hawk on his fist,who teaches languages, stops and retrieves runaway persons, causes earthquakes, and grants noble titles."

Now in order to figure out if the devs were referencing something even more obscure or were just making wacky poo poo up let's look at other bosses. We have OCTEYES, an evil plant made of multitudes of eyeballs, a Moldy Snail, a flying crocodile ball, and an antropomorphical Rhino in wrestling gear.

I think they were just overworked.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ngl, Agares sounds pretty fuckin rad

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Vic posted:

I looked that name up, and there is a demon in the abrahamic extended fanfiction called Agares who's described as "an old man, riding upon a crocodile, and carrying a hawk on his fist,who teaches languages, stops and retrieves runaway persons, causes earthquakes, and grants noble titles."

anyone in the key of solomon that doesnt sit at the cool kids table with abaddon and lucifer are made up of whatever mad libs they had left over, so you get stuff like a goat wizard riding a duck that finds coins and makes women barren

Piss And Shittium
Dec 20, 2023
Fallout: New Vegas is severely overrated. I don't understand all the boners for this game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nice try, dm

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vic posted:

Now I want to summon a demonic old guy on a crocodile with a hawk to be my Portuguese tutor and name me a marquis.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Piss And Shittium posted:

Fallout: New Vegas is severely overrated. I don't understand all the boners for this game.

It's OK but the intro felt like a contrived excuse for a setup, fallout 3 has a much more engaging intro which better sets up the world

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

New Vegas is the first game I ever played while really high and I remember spending like 10 minutes staring at road textures and thinking "holy poo poo this looks photorealistic, it's like I'm actually there"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Piss And Shittium posted:

:agreed:

IMO it's a fine, mediocre-to-good game, but people seem to think it's some kind of masterpiece. I think people were just really happy it wasn't as poo poo as fallout 3.

You want good fallout, play 1 and 2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

internet celebrity posted:

You've heard of elf on the shelf, now get ready for

...cat pee on the crt??

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tabby on the Cabby

e: net

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I needed this, thanks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

New Vegas is the first game I ever played while really high and I remember spending like 10 minutes staring at road textures and thinking "holy poo poo this looks photorealistic, it's like I'm actually there"

I had this with the puddle filled dirt roads in assassins creed 3

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

This happened to me in a little shack in Hla Oad in Morrowind the first time I modded the hell out of the graphics.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
New Vegas was good but it didn't blow me away. Years later when people started holding it up as a classic bethesda RPG I was like, what did we play different games? It probably did have the best main questline of any bethesda game ever, which says more about the quality of bethesda's writing than anything. Handing it off to obsidian who made a decent, self-contained story with branching endings and people were blown away.

I think new vegas was a lot of people's first bethesda (style) game, and those people probably never played morrowind, which is to this day the best game they ever made. They've never been able to capture that magic again for me. Every game they've made since has been good in ways that made me want to play them, but morrowind is arguably one of the greatest games ever made.

That said, morrowind's main quest was still nonsense fetch quests. Go to each tribe and become their savior. Then go kill a dude chillin in a volcano. Congrats, you saved the world.

Ok. Cool main quest.

I think I only ever did it once. Jumping across the map with 10000 acrobatics and literally flying with levitate was too much fun for me to care about the main quest.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 21, 2023

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Cosmik Debris posted:

New Vegas was good but it didn't blow me away. Years later when people started holding it up as a classic bethesda RPG I was like, what did we play different games? It probably did have the best main questline of any bethesda game ever, which says more about the quality of bethesda's writing than anything. Handing it off to obsidian who made a decent, self-contained story with branching endings and people were blown away.

I think new vegas was a lot of people's first bethesda (style) game, and those people probably never played morrowind, which is to this day the best game they ever made. They've never been able to capture that magic again for me. Every game they've made since has been good in ways that made me want to play them, but morrowind is arguably one of the greatest games ever made.

That said, morrowind's main quest was still nonsense fetch quests. Go to each tribe and become their savior. Then go kill a dude chillin in a volcano. Congrats, you saved the world.

Ok. Cool main quest.

I think I only ever did it once. Jumping across the map with 10000 acrobatics and literally flying with levitate was too much fun for me to care about the main quest.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

New Vegas isn't a bethesda game!!! :argh:

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

then why was it full of bethesda jank? :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They were contractually obligated to make it in the Bethesda engine, which is terrible

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I always assumed people were horny for New Vegas because it was the most moddable Fallout, which tbh is basically the whole point of the franchise from 3 onwards when they stopped delivering finished games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I point this out to highlight how bad Bethesda games are btw not to defend the honor of new Vegas. It was good but not a best game of all time or anything.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

I point this out to highlight how bad Bethesda games are btw not to defend the honor of new Vegas. It was good but not a best game of all time or anything.

That's my point, new vegas is a good game, even a very good one, but it's held in such high regard because it's so much better than any game bethesda actually made themselves.

Except morrowind, morrowind is a legitimately great game and way better than new vegas. And arguably has less jank too, because there's little to no physics.

Basically Morrowind is the only game that bethesda actually made that was any good. they've been taking everything good about it and removing it from TES ever since.

Even the graphics aren't that bad, in fact with mods they're quite good. It has a style that works. Oblivion/Skyrim? not so much. Oblivion looks like dogshit today.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 21, 2023

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Skyrim is such a foetid, gray dead thing that I will never understand how it became iconic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always thought they removed things that were good by accident with some casualties to streamlining and such but after seeing some Starfield interviews it's wild how aggressively they deliberately try to remove and avoid the things that made Morrowind good -- and each iteration removing what made the previous ones not as good as Morrowind, but still playable in their own way. All the way to Starfield when they've finally succeeded in their goal of designing away everything they were ashamed of in Morrowind, which were all the parts that worked together.

TES isn't really their property just like Fallout isn't. Starfield is, and without these legacy demands to make things at least kind of good like the franchise wants to be, they've made their own baby free to just be completely Bethesda from the ground up.