Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Caught mid sideways prance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

i own every Bionicle posted:

Thank you, unfortunately he broke himself, got his legs all tangled up, imprisoned for leg crimes

I love your dog

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Drastic measures had to be taken to prevent future reoccurrences

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Getting a tentative pickup date (local winter weather allowing) and i'm losing my mind slightly more

Getting pictures as well and they're all so fuzzy now :3: :3: :3:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Shugojin posted:

Getting a tentative pickup date (local winter weather allowing) and i'm losing my mind slightly more

Getting pictures as well and they're all so fuzzy now :3: :3: :3:

Is it not allowed to post the pictures? Akitas right?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'd love an Akita. They're just so drat big and house in the UK are like tiny sheds compared to the things you guys get in the US.

I've also seen photos of Bulldogs crossed with ChowChows recently because we obviously own a bulldog and know someone who's had a Chow. If Freja was a few years older I'd be tempted to breed a single litter but there no way we can possibly do anything like that for a long time. We aren't ready let alone the dog.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Newton is just such a beautiful dog. I love hearing about his progress.

Also I'm not getting my dog back before Christmas :negative:. She is determined to stick with her pups the full six weeks this time around and I'll be picking her up Boxing Day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I'll be picking her up Boxing Day.
What, like as a return!?
Who would dare?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Newton is just such a beautiful dog. I love hearing about his progress.

Also I'm not getting my dog back before Christmas :negative:. She is determined to stick with her pups the full six weeks this time around and I'll be picking her up Boxing Day.

Sorry to hear that. I can't imagine spending time from our pup since we got her. It's her first Xmas and I've just got her a new collar, lead and a box of nice natural treats for her first Christmas. She's gonna be be spoilt rotten.

(I think we are going to go and buy her a whole, raw turkey leg too for Xmas dinner)

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Actually, she's currently munching away on a raw pigs ear and it loving stinks worse than the cooked ones. She's not having another one or those anytime soon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pochi went out for her morning walk and the lawn crew was out with leaf blowers (for some reason) and she looked at them once, then happily went back to her walk sniffing everything :unsmith:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

alg posted:

Pochi went out for her morning walk and the lawn crew was out with leaf blowers (for some reason) and she looked at them once, then happily went back to her walk sniffing everything :unsmith:

That’s awesome, every dog I have known has hated them, which is weird, considering they are technically the opposite of vacuum cleaners.

I had the most trouble-free walk/run around in the backyard with Newton today. After gently coaxing him yesterday and barely moving the crate, today I was able to just put on my my hat and coat, make idiotic excited noises, and grab his leash (which he still hates and can not walk on, but he knows it means Outside), then walk to the door and he came out with no force on my part. I have been making sure he gets to play until he is bored once he is outside so he knows leaving the crate=funtimes. I’m glad I can get him out without stressing him out. Getting him back in is still a challenge, he just gives up and sits there until I pick him up and bring him close enough to the stairs that he comes in. After he comes in he gets pets for about 10 or 15 minutes on his bed then food or treats so hopefully he closes that loop soon.

Bageled up and snoozing after an excellent playtime and breakfast:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

i own every Bionicle posted:

Is it not allowed to post the pictures? Akitas right?

Oh no sorry I just usually have to trim him out of them. This is a snip out of a reel. IDK if this is mine or not it's not fully decided which is mine and I can't see the color coding anyway if it were

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can't fool me, that is a ball of lint with a nose

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
That is some dense fluff!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Shugojin posted:

Oh no sorry I just usually have to trim him out of them. This is a snip out of a reel. IDK if this is mine or not it's not fully decided which is mine and I can't see the color coding anyway if it were

That's a cat.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Can anybody recommend good long lasting chew toys? Newton doesn’t get through a bunch of it but he likes to chew when he’s bored. I got him a Bam-Bone thing: https://www.chewy.com/ethical-pet-bam-bones-plus-beef-tough/dp/215510 and he loves it but I noticed it gets sharp in the areas around his teeth marks. And I noticed a little blood on one corner. I also found some sharp ish bits tearing off if it. Other people complained about similar issues on Chewie (I impulse bought this in a store without seeing reviews). How do they sell so many pet products that are potentially dangerous? I feel like every time I get something I find out later I shouldn’t have. Now I have to break his little heart and take it away from him

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yak Cheese chews

Mighty Paw Yak Cheese Chews | 4 Large Sticks. All-Natural Chews, Long Lasting Yak Milk Chews for Aggressive Chewers, for Teething Puppies & Bored Dogs. 14.4 oz, 4 Pack https://a.co/d/7tGVMvr

Most pet stores sell them individually if you want to give one a shot. They last a good while and when it gets down to a small piece you pop it in the microwave and it’s a cheese treat.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
They also chip off and you have to clean them up every day. But they do keep the dog busy for ages! Bully sticks are good too if you want to go the natural treat route.

In the hot weather we did frozen carrots, they don't last super long but they've reasonably healthy if you don't soak them in too much stock before freezing them.

Edit: Freja also likes baby food (check ingredients first for garlic, onions etc) in a lick Matt that's been in the freezer a few hours..

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I go by bully sticks

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like Nylabones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
rawhide rolls but I cut it up into strips rather than give him the whole roll because it's so big

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

MarcusSA posted:

Yak Cheese chews

Mighty Paw Yak Cheese Chews | 4 Large Sticks. All-Natural Chews, Long Lasting Yak Milk Chews for Aggressive Chewers, for Teething Puppies & Bored Dogs. 14.4 oz, 4 Pack https://a.co/d/7tGVMvr

Most pet stores sell them individually if you want to give one a shot. They last a good while and when it gets down to a small piece you pop it in the microwave and it’s a cheese treat.

Be careful with these with heavy chewers, they can absolutely break teeth. I’ve paid for 2 too many slab fractured tooth removals to risk them.

Beef cheek rolls are what I use most often.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Be careful with these with heavy chewers, they can absolutely break teeth. I’ve paid for 2 too many slab fractured tooth removals to risk them.

i was giving my dog beef cheek rolls but he ate some big thin shard that broke off and threw up and several chewy reviews said that had happened to them too. so even beware of beef cheeks. it’s a shame because he loved them. i had to revert to bully sticks

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Campion brought in an old, dirty, cracked plastic spoon from out of the yard. I really hope he didn't eat any of the bits that weren't on it still.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks all, my local petsmart didn’t have yak cheese but they had bully sticks which I ponied up for. He’s not a heavy chewer so I’m not too worried and they’ll last a while.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just look at this extremely cozy pup.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Mitka, Xmas 2022, age 15

Pochi, Xmas 2023, age 1

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I can't believe you punched your dog in the face like that to give her a such a shiner...
Oh it healed nicely

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Dealing with this due to bully sticks, we're on tooth number 4 that will need to be extracted, we haven't given him any sticks in a while but they definitely hosed his teeth up.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Those are some very cute dogs.

So I guess then maybe not bully sticks for Newton? Who would have thought that petrified bullcock would be so harmful? I guess if the nylon bamboo thing makes his gums bleed a little that’s not as bad as cracked teeth.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I think all chewing things are going to have some downsides tbh. Yak cheese and bully sticks can break teeth, but the less hard stuff can get sheared off in big chunks and make a dog puke or make an intestinal blockage. Honestly sometimes I just let Nova pick her favorite stick from outside to bring in and chew on for a while. She seems equally content with that.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Funny enough Freja keeps wanting to bring sticks in and I don't entirely mind but I was worried about it splintering or hurting her. I suppose it's no different to teeth damage from other chew toys.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid, we had a laborador retriever as the family dog. His outdoors chew toy was a hunk of firewood, and he'd work away at the middle and the ends until it looked kind of like a cartoon bone or a dumbbell. Eventually it'd snap in half in the middle, and we'd have to get a new hunk of firewood off the burn pile. He never showed any distress from it, despite doubtless having swallowed plenty of wood chips in his life.

(I'm not sure I'd recommend firewood as an indoor chew toy, because it makes a huge mess)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

cailleask posted:

I think all chewing things are going to have some downsides tbh. Yak cheese and bully sticks can break teeth, but the less hard stuff can get sheared off in big chunks and make a dog puke or make an intestinal blockage. Honestly sometimes I just let Nova pick her favorite stick from outside to bring in and chew on for a while. She seems equally content with that.

I still think plain old rawhide is OK if you cut it up into small enough pieces where choking/poop chute blocking is a small risk but maybe I've just been lucky :shrug:

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

As a certified dipshit with a new 8 week old puppy in the family the info in this thread has been a huge help already. We've only had him a couple days so far and I've already got him sitting on command and responding to his name fairly well with the help of the training thread.

He's also pretty good about not eliminating inside as long as we're diligent about taking him out after every nap and every play time. The one thing that's been a struggle so far is crate training. When he's completely exhausted we can shut him in the crate and he'll nap for hours, but if he even has a little bit of energy left he whines for a long time when put inside. We've made it very comfy for him with some of his favorite toys as well as an everlasting treat thing he likes gnawing on. Once the door closes though unless he's already mostly asleep he goes a little nuts. Sitting with him definitely seems to help him calm down and be quiet so I think part of it is just him being uncomfortable alone.

Hoping that this gets better with time as it's only been a few days so far but appreciate any extra tips to get him happy in there!

And of course here's a picture of the little dude attempting to wink:

His name is Odie and he's an extremely Good Boy.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That's a really good boy. Do you know what mix he is?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's a doodle

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

He is indeed a doodle. I've always been pretty anti-poodle and poodle mixes but this guy kinda fell into our lap and we just couldn't say no cause he's so drat cute and full of personality.

I think one parent was a 50/50 golden doodle and the other was full poodle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna need to move my 11-year-old, 70-pound puppy across the country soon. Can anyone recommend resources I should read up on? My understanding is basically that you get a particular kind of crate, put the dog in the crate, possibly drug them, check them in as checked luggage, and then fly.

My plan is to fly SFO to PHL, for which the only airlines offering direct flights are on American and United. American only lets large dogs travel on their "American Airline Cargo", which sounds like a setup where I wouldn't actually be traveling on the same flight as my dog. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker (I have family at the other end that could receive him) but it's definitely not ideal. United doesn't appear to allow large dogs at all; their policy is that the carrier has to fit under the seat in front, which simply isn't possible for anything other than small dogs.

Obligatory photo of Pavlov: