Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
M-V-P

https://twitter.com/fashion_nfl/status/1737503712845984047?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

People act as if other MVPs weren’t helped by their scheme or talent. 2018 Mahomes was playing with prime Hill, Kelce with Andy Reid calling plays and defenses not having any idea how to slow them yet. Give it to Purdy.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Lighting the big "EPA per play is a team stat" beacon

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AndrewP posted:

People act as if other MVPs weren’t helped by their scheme or talent. 2018 Mahomes was playing with prime Hill, Kelce with Andy Reid calling plays and defenses not having any idea how to slow them yet. Give it to Purdy.

Yes, the other mvps were helped by scheme and talent.

Nobody was helped as much as Purdy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Lighting the big "EPA per play is a team stat" beacon

MVP is a team award

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AndrewP posted:

MVP is a team award

Then it should go to cmc

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

really queer Christmas posted:

Then it should go to cmc

Co sign

High time a non QB won it in a down year for passing stats.

Put it this way: if you're the SF GM, would you rather lose Purdy or CMC?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
EPA is a garbage stat that tries to compare completely different personnel, eras, coaching styles, play calling, etc into one stat that tells you nothing. It's the worst stat to happen to football since QB completion percentage and most likely resulted in stupid analytic coaches like Brandon Staley.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Co sign

You would absolutely rather lose CMC are you kidding. QB is a tremendously harder position to fill

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

EPA is a garbage stat that tries to compare completely different personnel, eras, coaching styles, play calling, etc into one stat that tells you nothing. It's the worst stat to happen to football since QB completion percentage and most likely resulted in stupid analytic coaches like Brandon Staley.

You have strong evidence for this argument in the fact that 2023 Purdy has a higher EPA per dropback than the clearly superior 2018 Mahomes and 2019 Lamar.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Co sign

100% I'd trust Shanahan to replace CMC's production rather than have Darnold QB the rest of the way out. Not even close.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CMC is Goku

Give him MVP

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BiggerBoat posted:

Co sign

You lose CMC and it's not even close. All you have to do is look at the NFC Championship Game last year.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

wandler20 posted:

You lose CMC and it's not even close. All you have to do is look at the NFC Championship Game last year.

Or look at the trade value CMC just had a year and a half ago, vs the cost teams pay to move up even a couple spots for an unproven commodity in the draft (like say, idk, Trey Lance).

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

If they give purdy MVP then do we not have to hear about how underrated he is ever again

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I would not give Purdy MVP but I would understand him winning MVP. The MVP competition is tight this year

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

biceps crimes posted:

I would not give Purdy MVP but I would understand him winning MVP. The MVP competition is tight this year

It really could come down to the MNF game. Lamar vs. Purdy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
This seems very germane to certain posters ITT

https://twitter.com/OmahaProd/status/1736927488536723656

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wandler20 posted:

To be fair they were basically down to their 4th QB who literally could not throw the ball. Going from from Purdy to Darnold would be less of a drop off.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just food for thought:

Another way to look at it, is there a team where CMC wouldn't walk in tomorrow and supplant the starter?

Can you say the same about Purdy?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Just food for thought:

Another way to look at it, is there a team where CMC wouldn't walk in tomorrow and supplant the starter?

Can you say the same about Purdy?

That's a good argument for all-pro at a position but doesn't seem to have much to do with MVP?

I think if you actually told the Niners they were gonna lose one starter for the rest of the season and could pick which one, the only one where that would even make them pause for a second would be Trent Williams vs Purdy. Every other spot it's an easy call.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Papercut posted:

That's a good argument for all-pro at a position but doesn't seem to have much to do with MVP?

I think if you actually told the Niners they were gonna lose one starter for the rest of the season and could pick which one, the only one where that would even make them pause for a second would be Trent Williams vs Purdy. Every other spot it's an easy call.

Not a bad point at all, I will concede.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

To be fair they were basically down to their 4th QB who literally could not throw the ball. Going from from Purdy to Darnold would be less of a drop off.

Yeah the better question is what happens with a replacement level quarterback, not Josh Johnson.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Which is why mvp or the Tom Brady Award should be for qbs, have a most outstanding player for skill position guys, and one for oline since even if they’d deserve mvp/mop/whatever, they’d never get it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just had thought. The nrl out here (rugby league) has a Dally M medal which is basically an MVP award.

There's a panel of voters who award points every week. 3, 2 or 1 for each team based on performance.

Votes are tallied at the end of year. Winner take all.

System isn't perfect and at least in my opinion occasionally means a great player on a vsd roster gets more than they should but it's an interesting system rather than trying to justify picks on numbers alone.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

just kiddindg about what i said here. don't look

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 20, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Let the cube-headed SF qb, Mr. Darnold, play a game and give Purdy a lil break.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

wandler20 posted:

It really could come down to the MNF game. Lamar vs. Purdy.

Yeah it’s set up for purdy if they beat the ravens. If not, then probably Lamar unless he shits the bed against the fins. If that happens I think it’s Tua or Josh Allen depending on who wins the division because both QB are likely winning out at that point.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Whoever wins it'll be kind of unimpressive for an MVP campaign. Like Lamar is a fine candidate this year but it doesn't feel like it nearly compares to his existing MVP season.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

fsif posted:

Whoever wins it'll be kind of unimpressive for an MVP campaign. Like Lamar is a fine candidate this year but it doesn't feel like it nearly compares to his existing MVP season.

Fully agreed. There just hasn't been any QB having that kind of absolutely stellar performance this year.

People keep mentioning CMC and Tyreek but I honestly think Deboo and Miles Garrett are the two non-QBs I would give it to. The only knock on either has been missing games or under performing due to injury. And both have absolutely netted their teams wins they would not have otherwise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This is the year a non QB should win but I think that time has passed no matter the numbers

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Ya, feels like the best chance for a non-qb to win this year, but even then those guys needed to put up Historic seasons (2000 yards, sack record, etc) and simply outstanding seasons just don’t cut it. Happy to be proven wrong though

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
CMC will probably end the year with 2000+ scrimmage yards and at least 23 TDs which once upon a time probably wins a RB MVP but yeah, I'm not sure it still does.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is the year a non QB should win but I think that time has passed no matter the numbers

Same and it sucks. Just call it the MVQB award and be done with it then create an award for any other valuable position player. Everyone talks about a QB needing WR's, an o-line and support in general but every year they just give the award to the QB with the most flashy stats and ignore that. As if the QB did it on his own.

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009
It would be cool if they did it like college ball and had an award for the best in each skill group

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
MVP is the QB award.
OPoY can be for a RB or WR or QB.

As it should be.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

As we’ve discussed before, make a “best player at X” award. Qb, rb, wr, OL, dl, etc.

But also add a “pluckiest player”award and give it to lil’ Bryce :buddy:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

As we’ve discussed before, make a “best player at X” award. Qb, rb, wr, OL, dl, etc.

The Biggest Lil' Guy Award

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That’s what the All-Pro team is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Black Lighter posted:

The Biggest Lil' Guy Award

The "Aw Shucks, Look At Him Go" Award presented by Purina Puppy Chow.