Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tomie Unlimited

Sometimes you just gotta embrace the weird. I'm as confused about what I just saw as the Canon camera with a Nikon branded camera strap. But it was fun!

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Skinamarink

Movie starts out pretty amazing, with overly surreal shots walking you through the movie up until the halfway point. Incredibly satisfying seeing so many cool shots one right after another. Bizarre things are continually happening as we go along. However, at the halfway point (Why is it *always* almost exactly halfway) the movie goes dark. Literally. 80% of the rest of the movie is just a black screen. Very little happens. No one is really talking anymore. We see an occasional flashlight turn on and back off again. It's frustrating because I was so incredibly into this movie up until the midway point and then I almost hated it for the rest of it. A very experimental movie that I felt captured the same unnerving house exploration aesthetic in the beginning of Lost Highway, and in some ways, better. Maybe they got bored and just "phoned" in the ending.

2.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Meatball Machine (2005)

Going into this you know it's going to be goofy. Japanese sci-fi monster horror. People being piloted like Gundams. Lots of goop! It's silly, and kinda fun, but also overstayed its welcome. I'm glad I saw it because it was different. Aside from the tentacle scene, that is. I'll put the sequel on my watchlist.

3/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 11, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor

Wow, this was maybe as good as the first. I loved it. I would consider this a proper sequel that has great background lore tied into it while providing plenty of scares. The laptop scene is just bonkers. gently caress clowns forever.

4/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 12, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Legend of Hell House

A 1970s haunted house mystery. Great cast, a nice spooky house, and minimal special effects. Overall, I found this pretty average. The story kind of fell flat towards the end, but everything was alright. Massive amounts of samples came from this movie for various Skinny Puppy songs. It was a trip to see where they all came from finally.

3/5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xZjRBn3dg

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think it’s ultimately a good thing that Dream Scenario refuses to make a bigger point and just wallows in its absurdity, it can focus on the jokes and nothing ends up feeling forced. It’s the first Cage performance during his late-period renaissance that I think stands up to his best work, mostly because the movie meets him at his level. Just great casting top to bottom, with Julianne Nicholson and Michael Cera also doing incredible stuff. Hardest I’ve laughed in a theater in years.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metropolitan (1990) The scenes they didn't film (and the camera placement choices in the ones they could barely do) because of budget restrictions are incredibly obvious, and this is on the surface a film about a bunch of obnoxious young people learning a little bit about themselves and not very much about anything else. Still, the dialogue is fast and fun, scenes don't overstay their welcome, and there is lots of great observations in here. The scene where Nick and all the girls have hosed off to do better things and there's just the three guys left is incredibly well done. I ended up loving this despite its limitations, easily my favourite Jane Austen film (it's more a spiritual successor than an adaptation) I've seen in a long time, 5/5.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Three... Extremes

A horror anthology by three Asian directors. All of them beautifully shot, absolutely no complaints there. The cast and acting were all incredible as well. The stories.. Yeah, it's fair to say all three were extreme. The first one "Dumplings" was almost too much, it hit on stuff that just grosses me out. The story was good, but man, that was hard to watch. The second short, "Cut", was a bit more traditional out of the three. However, it wasn't as interesting, but it wasn't terrible, either. The last one "Box" was another subject that just creeps me out in a bad way, nothing good about it. I'm not so sure I'd want to watch this movie again. There is a lot to enjoy, but most of it rubbed me the wrong way, which might be the entire point, but when you're doing it with taboo subjects I feel like that's kind of a cop out to get to that point. Probably one of the hardest movies to rate since I watched May.

2.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Head Count (2018)

A bunch of teens rent a house out in the desert to get blazed and go climb rocks. They tell spoOky stories around a campfire and something changes. A pretty fun flick that kept you wondering what and how things were happening. The characters were kind of relatable to me and it was enjoyable all the way till the end. No dull parts that seemed like filler. I liked it!

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Uncanny (2015)

I think I watched the wrong movie again. This is another AI person movie. Not really horror, maybe a little psychological, but much more tame than M3GAN and Ex Machina. This one doesn't really break down anywhere plot wise, so it's mostly a straight story that has a few turns. Interesting characters. You can kind of see where it's headed fairly early on, but it's still enjoyable.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

You're Next (2011)

Wow, okay, this was pretty freaking cool. A family gathering is terrorized in their vacation home. Lots and lots of kills, and some pretty drat brutal. Probably one of the most memorable kills I've seen on my 99 movie binge so far. Heck yea this was a fun flick.

3.5/5

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Just chiming in to say that you're doing God's work watching all these movies and posting about them, Phil. I love it, and I love you.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead or Alive (1999)

I'm a sucker for Yakuza movies, and it looks like Takashi Miike has plenty of them to offer! The intro to this movie is flipping great. A punkish riot of various Tokyo underworld scenes leads you into the story. What continues is a smaller gang pulling off heists and trying to stay off the Yakuza's radar. The police get between them. Meanwhile people die. It's very very toned down compared to something like Ichi the Killer, and it's a more stylized straight up mobster movie. It has a few what the actual gently caress moments for sure, but it's mostly just a cool looking Yakuza flick. Not so much horror here, with a few off the chart exceptions. The ending is still making me laugh. I love it.

3.5/5

One thing I found interesting is the cop using a flip phone in 1999, who is later made fun of by his daughter for using such an outdated phone. I had to look up if this movie really was made in 1999 or not. The flip phone being used in the movie was a Motorola StarTAC which came out in freaking 1996! In Japan all of this was normal for families back then, while the rest of the world walked around with their pagers. Crazy.

The Perfect Element posted:

Just chiming in to say that you're doing God's work watching all these movies and posting about them, Phil. I love it, and I love you.

Thanks!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 17, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Re-Animator (1985)

A story about love, and how some people will do whatever it takes. This is one I missed growing up in the 80s. Neurosurgeons argue about how long brains can live after the body dies. A young upstart, Herbert West, has found a way to bring people back after they've died. He's determined to perfect it so that everyone can become immortal. His rival, a noted professor at the Miskatonic University, has other plans and they argue constantly and the movie gets really weird. Overall, it's pretty fun, and the final act blows through their special effects budget.

3/5

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Philthy posted:

Dead or Alive (1999)

I'm a sucker for Yakuza movies, and it looks like Takashi Miike has plenty of them to offer! The intro to this movie is flipping great. A punkish riot of various Tokyo underworld scenes leads you into the story. What continues is a smaller gang pulling off heists and trying to stay off the Yakuza's radar. The police get between them. Meanwhile people die. It's very very toned down compared to something like Ichi the Killer, and it's a more stylized straight up mobster movie. It has a few what the actual gently caress moments for sure, but it's mostly just a cool looking Yakuza flick. Not so much horror here, with a few off the chart exceptions. The ending is still making me laugh. I love it.

3.5/5

One thing I found interesting is the cop using a flip phone in 1999, who is later made fun of by his daughter for using such an outdated phone. I had to look up if this movie really was made in 1999 or not. The flip phone being used in the movie was a Motorola StarTAC which came out in freaking 1996! In Japan all of this was normal for families back then, while the rest of the world walked around with their pagers. Crazy.

Thanks!

The films in this series just have the greatest shitpost ending and I love them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Perfect Blue

I was absolutely not in the right mindset for this movie. What a mindfuck! I’m still processing a lot of this, but I dug it quite a bit. A J-pop idol star decides to try and become an actress. She has doubts about her change shortly after, and an internal struggle begins. Her problems get worse as some of her fan base also become upset. We go down a rabbit hole that would put a smile on David Lynch’s face.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Krampus (2015)

A more light hearted Christmas horror movie with some humor added. You get a good dose of the Griswald's Christmas Vacation pretty early on that eventually leads into a whole lot of bickering, then things go dark and spooky. Some great creature design that reminds me of Legend (Tom Cruise's best movie) mixed with a little bit of Poltergeist. No real gore here, it's more of a family movie and it was pretty fun to watch with no filler. I enjoyed it!

3/5

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Upsidads posted:

Boy and the Heron
A masterpiece, Miyazaki wanted to make a bookend to a career showing that his writing and direction is timeless.
I hate to spoil movies but the film reminds me of Pans labyrinth and Baron Munchousen.
So engrossing I felt like I forgot to blink.
10/10

Saw this the other night and loved it. That said I do have two minor nitpicks (possible spoilers):

1) The first half of the film could probably be trimmed (although don't ask me how or where). It made the transition from the mundane to the fantastic jarring, although that was probably Miyazaki's intent.

2) The fantastic elements in the second half take a while to fit together, although it was satisfing at the end were they did add up.

These are minor nitpicks in an otherwise perfect film, but they did stand out to me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

For point 1
I think it's excellent table setting for who, where, what.
I think he lets you have a sneak peek as to the fantastic, then a long break back to mundane just to let you forget it's coming
As for part 2
Yeah it's neat

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale

This was a weird one. Unique for sure, and pretty amusing at times. Lots of naked old man dong.

3/5

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Fast X (2023)

I never imagined a series of car chases and explosions could be so dull. This movie colors within the lines so completely that I don't think it even colored to the edge of what it was supposed to fill in. I felt like I was on my 10th watching of the movie five minutes in. 0/5.

Also the wikipedia page contains this lovely quote from Brie Larson about agreeing to be in this movie: "I was scared of what would happen to me [by joining Fast & Furious]. But what I always come back to is, I have to live with myself in a way that nobody else has to. The choices I make, I have to live with, whether I regret them or not."

What a ringing endorsement.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
She should try living life one quarter mile at a time.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead or Alive 2: Birds

What a change up from the first movie. This is another Yakuza movie, but it's more about friends growing up together and reuniting and enjoying life. The first movie had some of this, but not quite to this level, the Yakuza element becomes secondary. While it has plenty of violence, there is nothing really extreme here. I'd say it barely edges out the first one overall. I am really really enjoying these. I have a feeling I will revisit these sooner rather than later. I am starting to understand why Miike has a following.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Day of the Beast (1995)

What a treat this was! A dark comedy about a priest who finds out the antichrist will be born on Christmas day. The only way to stop the world from ending is to become evil himself, and fool Satan. This movie is funny as poo poo, and borderline slapstick at times. What a gem. Also, since it is a European Christmas horror movie, there is old man dong.

This is "El Día de la bestia" on Tubi.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 22, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On this edition of FSF's Everyone In The World Has Seen This Movie But Me....

Frozen (2013): A
A sweet and unexpectedly subtle/complex (far more than I expected in a Disney princess film) movie about the Power of Love ('80s guitar riff). Some interesting twists on the usual formula that were almost Shrek-like without really subverting or poking fun at typical fairy tales like Shrek did. I'm not really the target demographic for a movie like this as a 39 year old guy, but....I actually was pretty impressed with Frozen.

Until today, I might be the one of the only people in the country who had never really heard Let It Go.

Tune in next time for the next movie in the FSF Everyone In The World Has Seen This Movie But Me series: Elf!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 23, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Psycho Santa (2003)

We're going b-movie horror. A guy in a Santa outfit and a machete likes to kill people. I'm pretty sure the entire point of this movie was to convince his female friends to get naked. You can hear the camera creaking in multiple scenes. Everything is overexposed. The music is so loud you can't hear the 5 lines of dialogue. But yet, it's still better than Creepshow 3.

1.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead or Alive: Final

The final film in the series. This one takes place in a very yellow dystopian future. The story is somewhat interesting, and it has a few cool fight scenes, but doesn't really feel on the same level as the previous two. This one feels lower budget, rushed, less artsy. However, the ending doesn't disappoint.

3/5

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Presumably, Miike was saving the budget specifically for the ending.

Have you watched Yakuza Apocalypse yet?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Nope! It's on my list, though! I've been looking forward to watching it!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Elf (2003): A

Gotta be honest with you folks and say that I'm not a huge Will Ferrell fan. Nothing against the guy, but he tends to play the same sort of character in every movie he stars in. I don't like how over the top he can be with his humor. But when Ferrell is more understated with his humor, I like him a lot better.

So with that in mind, I went into this movie thinking, "Eh, this is not gonna be my thing" and I came away thinking, "That wasn't so bad!". The casting here - Asner, Caan, Newhart, Deschanel - is absolutely spot-on perfect. Caan did a fabulous job as a straight man to Ferrell's wackiness, and it really grounded the movie. 'Small town kid ends up in the big city' is so overdone to be cliche, but it's pretty well played here; people are believable enough to seem real without being stereotypes.

I ended up having a much better time that, to be honest, I had been expecting. I understand why this has become such a Christmas classic. Even though it's a bit too over the top for me at times, like Frozen there's a lot of heart here.

e: Oh, and Dinklage, too, was a great addition. The "Call me an elf again" scene was one of the funniest moments in the film for me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 23, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Lodge (2019)

This is definitely one of the grimmest movies I've seen lately. A man who wants no part in a father of the year award leaves his two kids alone with his girlfriend at a lodge over Christmas so they can bond better as he plans to propose and marry her shortly afterwards. Saying things do not go as planned would be an understatement. Yikes.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 24, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Really good Alicia Silverstone cameo too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Home Alone

Surprisingly, I had never seen this all the way through until tonight. I grew up a little too old to see this when it came out, and A Christmas Story was played non-stop at all the family Christmas gatherings. My wife enjoyed it growing up, so we got to sit down and watch it today before the real holiday horror show begins. It was about what I expected. However, the bit with the tar and nail was pretty hardcore. We later find out he had access to call the police at any time, but he waited to torture them half to death before he bothered. Chuckled a bit.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Violent Night (2022)

I was having a hard time understanding why this was labeled partly horror, until it went off the rails with a pissed off Santa. The timing for me having seen Home Alone is also perfect as it makes an appearance here, dialed to 11. This has some amazing kills. Incredibly brutal. The movie is about a rich family who is being robbed by a mercenary crew, and a dude in a Santa suit decides to help out. Part Die Hard, part You're Next, part corny as all gently caress, and part amazing violent deaths everywhere. With a lot of laughs in-between. This was pretty good. I'd easily rate this higher if they cut the parts that dragged, and the super-duper corny bits. What a ride, though.

3/5

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Poor Things - 4/5

Wild romp and a ton of fun. Emma Stone is obviously great, and Mark Rufallo gives the comedic performance of the year. Really appreciate how weird the visuals and setting were while the story felt very personal and grounded to the character.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Black Christmas (1974)

Slasher movie done in the 70s. A sorority house receives harassing phone calls and people begin to go missing one by one. The creepy rear end phone calls were absolutely disturbing. Lots and lots of cool looking shots. One thing that stood out the most to me in this movie was the Foley artists being top notch throughout.

3.5/5

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you have Apple TV+, it’s worth giving last year’s Spirited a shot. Half their marketing campaign was that it wasn’t Ferrell doing Elf again, but you know what - doing a second Christmas movie after one that’s regarded as a classic and it coming out pretty drat good is no mean feat. Enough smart ideas that it doesn’t feel like the Christmas Carol well was as dry as I thought.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Black Christmas is goated. I think it predates slashers entirely and it certainly has aged better than most of them. Fantastic sense of dread without ever giving up the game.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I caught The Iron Claw yesterday, and it was pretty solid. For anyone who doesn't know the story, it's a biopic about the Von Erich family, a family of professional wrestlers who had some success in the industry but also experienced a lot of personal tragedy. I mean, a LOT. So much tragedy that if you didn't know it was a true story, you might feel like it strained plausibility. It's a good exercise in economical storytelling, though, because it tends to show you just the buildup to and aftermath of terrible things that happen largely offscreen, and you're left to piece together what exactly happened from context. It's all pretty frank and not sensationalized. You don't get too much of a sense of most of the characters' interiority, but I thought Zac Efron was a standout for being able to do a lot without doing a lot, if that makes sense -- he really came off like a guy who wasn't the brightest but had a lot of quiet sadness behind his eyes. B

I also saw Poor Things, which was a lot of fun but definitely not for everyone. Worth seeing in a full theater if you can, just to see the division in audience reactions. A lot of people at my showing were laughing throughout, but the people sitting next to me clearly hated it because they didn't know what kind of film they were in for. It looks like a quirky Tim Burton kind of thing, which it is to some extent, but there's also a lot of uncomfortable sexual content and gruesome surgery stuff. I've heard it described as a subversion of the "born sexy yesterday" trope, and I think that's accurate. Emma Stone plays sort of a Frankenstein creation whose mind is gradually developing over the course of the film, and she plays that transition really well and brings a lot of physicality. You see her start to develop an understanding of the world as well as her own sexual identity, but various male characters are trying to control her in different ways throughout. Overall it's a good story about a woman taking ownership of her own sexuality (including a non-judgmental depiction of sex work), with a lot of funny, bawdy dialogue. Cool visual style as well, with a lot of stylized sets that look like they were done partly in miniature, and a Technicolor vibe in parts. B+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Anatomy of a fall. 4.5/5.

This hosed hard.