Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I have definitely done that gift wrap hack before and it works really well if the item has no weight to it. You can also slip a piece of cardboard cut to size in the bottom if you need to reinforce it. It's a neat trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

incredible.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

Saw this in the PYF GIF thread & thought of the conversation earlier regarding gift wrapping:

That’s magic to me right there.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I've heard of cremated remains being turned into rocks, but it was in context of their cat's recent passing. Good to know they can do that to human remains too.

Tho the idea of dropping large rocks from an airplane is even funnier than crop dusting some unsuspecting family walking along a beach.

l'd like to be made into one large rock and dropped off a bridge or into a calm lake I think, just so everyone present gets to hear that really lovely satisfying *KER PLUNK* noise

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Saw this in the PYF GIF thread & thought of the conversation earlier regarding gift wrapping:
I'm alright at gift wrapping but that person might as well have made a functioning origami space shuttle

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

apparently it's difficult to get a bronze age british cist burial anymore, sheesh nobody respects my heritage

dig a hole and line it with stones, put me in on my side, add grave goods, and put a capstone on top. Should last two or three thousand years. I'm sure there's no problem with billions of humans demanding to be buried like this. I am very special and deserve to be remembered forever. Or at least inconvenience farmers forever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember seeing a cool thing in the old Bodywork's exhibit about sky burials and I think it would be cool to let nature destroy my carcass out in the wilderness on top of a mountain.

I also remember fellow goon Crosshatch saying how he wanted his remains dealt with:
"Take my body & string it up over the ocean off a boat where sharks can jump up and eat it, all the while having the event livestreamed."

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm gonna have my organs removed like the pharaohs of old.

Then I'm gonna be stuffed with candy and toys, and little children will be invited to hit me with a baseball bat. To my knowledge the pharaohs never did this.

Bronze and individually number any remaining pieces and auction them off as paperweights.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think my current wishes are to be donated to science and the money for a burial/cremation etc used to for a big gently caress off party in my honour.

I havent updated my will since I bought my house like 7 years ago though.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I wanna be mummified then given to a traveling freak show, then in like a hundred years they realize I’m a real mummy, then everyone can spend the next few decades wondering “Who the gently caress was that guy?”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BlindSite posted:

I think my current wishes are to be donated to science and the money for a burial/cremation etc used to for a big gently caress off party in my honour.

In the US that means your donated body would likely be sold to an arms manufacturer for munitions testing :v:

My grandfather when he died was cremated and has his ashes spread where some fruit trees were planted on my sister's farm. Mother wants the same, I figure that's as good a place as any for myself as well.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Immediately after my sister’s funeral I told my GF if whoever survives me holds a funeral at a church and some schmuck pastor turns my death into a long-winded sermon about how actually it was good I died because that’s what God wanted, I’m rising from hell and burning the whole church down. Every funeral I’ve been to has been gross in that regard, it’s so skeevy to me

Once it tells me the URL is ready to be pasted, my phone doesn’t recognize having anything to paste in the Awful App, and it doesn’t paste anything anywhere else, so idk what the deal is :shrug:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I really just want my ashes sprinkled at Lake Jocassee but I’m fine if you just hurl my body through Joe Lieberman’s window too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

In the US that means your donated body would likely be sold to an arms manufacturer for munitions testing :v:

My grandfather when he died was cremated and has his ashes spread where some fruit trees were planted on my sister's farm. Mother wants the same, I figure that's as good a place as any for myself as well.

Haha rough. Here it's just for med students.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

We will have to find out what the rules are, there are rules of course, and we also don't want a big lebowski situation.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Leper. If I am ever in an ashes-spreading situation it is pretty much guaranteed I will be saying it's being done "in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

while cremation is I guess more responsible than using up a chunk of land forever for your body, as a woodworker the idea of making my own coffin appeals to me.

and as a fan of Time Team and archaeology in general, the idea of grave goods that could baffle some archaeologists in two thousand years is also appealing, although of course if there are still archaeologists in two thousand years they'll hardly be lacking in 20th and 21st century graves to dig up and probably won't be getting around to mine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Haha rough. Here it's just for med students.

There are also cops doing pseudo forensic science leaving your body in a field to decay as an option here.

I'm way late but condolences Leper. I had a friend who lost her mom recently and that was/is a whole deal. I hope it isn't too terrible to get things sorted, but I'd imagine (I know) there's a lot of sorting to do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah so far there's nothing at all for me to do but I am gonna have to go out to colorado some point when the rest of my siblings can go too and just like, go through all her stuff to figure out what we want to keep and what to get rid of and that's gonna be hard

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm sorry Leper. That's rough. But don't forget your epals are here for you as well if you ever need to vent. :glomp:

If I die, I want my ashes spread across the ocean cliffs of Santa Barbara, on a particularly windy day so I hit my most precious family and friends in the face on the way out.

you read that right...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Can I donate my body to necrophiliacs? Everyone I like is gonna be sad, it'd be nice to make someone happy.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
It's my only kid's 17th birthday today and they wanted to go to the Indiana Pacers game so made the drive from Kentucky and ate some great hot chicken. I definitely feel old knowing next year will be 18.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's a good documentary out there called Alternate Endings: 6 New Ways to Die made by HBO that discusses ways to deal with death rather than the traditional ways of getting sick and dying, then either being buried in a coffin or being cremated. One of the stories mentioned was a woman who had a dad who loved boating / going out to sea. When she died, she flew out to a tropical area and had his ashes mixed into something to help rebuild the coral reef. That's how I wanna go.

The overall doc is great, but also unless you're a heartless rear end in a top hat you're gonna cry because naturally, it deals with death.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SundayMoney posted:

It's my only kid's 17th birthday today and they wanted to go to the Indiana Pacers game so made the drive from Kentucky and ate some great hot chicken. I definitely feel old knowing next year will be 18.

I'm sure you're a great parent who has done everything they can to help you're child be a fully functional adult, but, as an only child with great parents, you can feel safe in knowing they will still need a lot of help and advice for many years to come.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My parents are very very big on "don't leave your loved ones homework". Everything's planned, paid for, and listed. I've talked it out with them (I have two older sisters; Dad made me the executor because the oldest is very bipolar and lazy, and he's ok with them thinking he's just sexist) and we've even rehearsed what to do.

I wish more people felt that way. Friends who felt guilty because they didn't visit a parent's grave often enough, upkeep, etc. I'm leaving my carcass to my undergrad alma mater's mediocre medical school. Somehow, having a SE Asian failson who didn't have the grades to get into an Ivy like his brothers cut into my fat white rear end so he can squeak a C in a prereq class is like, the most fitting possible closing of my circle.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

One of the stories mentioned was a woman who had a dad who loved boating / going out to sea. When she died, she flew out to a tropical area and had his ashes mixed into something to help rebuild the coral reef. That's how I wanna go.

That rules.

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm sure you're a great parent who has done everything they can to help you're child be a fully functional adult, but, as an only child with great parents, you can feel safe in knowing they will still need a lot of help and advice for many years to come.

Same. I was a “functional adult” only child and they got several years of overtime dealing with my bullshit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my parents were very kind in providing lots of advice I didn't need and shouldn't and didn't follow, and also totally whiffed on even noticing where I really desperately needed it: but they were also there a few times I really needed help so it worked out. I figure that's probably how it usually goes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

my parents were very kind in providing lots of advice I didn't need and shouldn't and didn't follow, and also totally whiffed on even noticing where I really desperately needed it: but they were also there a few times I really needed help so it worked out. I figure that's probably how it usually goes.

Cautionary tales and unsolicited advice are my mom’s specialty.

She still tells me the procedure to reheat things in a microwave, and I just know it’s an annoying thing now that’s going to make me cry when she’s gone.

“I got it mom, I’m 40.”

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Testing this iOs shortcut thingy while picking my wife up for lunch.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kelly heard about your plight Leper.

https://twitter.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1737600666606956919?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Sweet. Bonus blep.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My wife and I did our Christmas tonight because we are leaving Friday for family and all that mess that is visiting two extended families during one holiday weekend. One cool gift she got me is a professional weather station. Our Wifi covers pretty far out so I csn mount it at the end of our yard, or on the deck. Aside from all the usual data and such, it feeds into the National Weather Service to give hyperlocal data about snowfall, winds, etc. Gonna do some amateur meteorology!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

T-Square posted:

Once it tells me the URL is ready to be pasted, my phone doesn’t recognize having anything to paste in the Awful App, and it doesn’t paste anything anywhere else, so idk what the deal is :shrug:

That's weird, do you have any paste restrictions that might prevent it? If you haven't already, try logging in to imgur before you try the shortcut perhaps?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

swickles posted:

My wife and I did our Christmas tonight because we are leaving Friday for family and all that mess that is visiting two extended families during one holiday weekend. One cool gift she got me is a professional weather station. Our Wifi covers pretty far out so I csn mount it at the end of our yard, or on the deck. Aside from all the usual data and such, it feeds into the National Weather Service to give hyperlocal data about snowfall, winds, etc. Gonna do some amateur meteorology!

These are pretty neat. I got my step Dad one like 5 years ago and he still uses it!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GD_American posted:

My parents are very very big on "don't leave your loved ones homework". Everything's planned, paid for, and listed. I've talked it out with them (I have two older sisters; Dad made me the executor because the oldest is very bipolar and lazy, and he's ok with them thinking he's just sexist) and we've even rehearsed what to do.

When my grandpa died back in 2010 while I was wrapping up college, it unlocked a whole level of shitstorm our family wasn't ready for. Him and grandma never talked about what would happen if one of them died. My grandma was in poor health too (nearly blind and deaf, couldn't walk well because of severe arthritis) so it meant moving her into a nursing home because she couldn't be at her house by herself. They had no documents about it, so dealing with finances was hell. Then we had to go through their house, which was a disaster. My grandma kept every bathroom rug she had owned since the great depression in garbage bags in her basement. They were half eaten by rats. Why? gently caress if I know. Never know if you might need em! Also, there was a closet full of dried pinecones with spray paint on them, apparently as Christmas decorations. Would have made for great kindling if there was a fire. Everything else was a mess, they never did any DIY so small things that could have been easily fixed were left broken.

My parents immediately made end of life plans after that ordeal. When my other grandparents passed several years after, they had been coached by parents. I probably should do the same.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GD_American posted:

My mom did the same thing, but when it gets down to brass tacks it's hard to remember where everything is and how it's laid out. My personal issue today is trying to figure out if the funeral was pre paid, I'll have to call around or dig through bank records, but I'm sick enough with COVID I couldn't get it done.

Our other big problem is my mom had moved into her dad's home after he passed since the family wanted it to stay kept up, but the 9 siblings never went through all the possessions. So now we have to determine what was hers and what wasn't. We had time to do this and just...didn't spend time on that and spent quality time instead, so it's all ok.

For cremation, we had planned to put the ashes with some new trees at our extended family's cabin, but my uncle (with a forestry degree) pointed out you run the risk of those trees dying which would be awful. So going to spread them at the base of a nice healthy tree he can identify for us.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Same. I was a “functional adult” only child and they got several years of overtime dealing with my bullshit.

I did pretty well and got through college right in time for 2008 to happen, and felt bad about living at home (both while looking for work and then through grad school) but it wound up being a lot of good time with my parents that otherwise I wouldn’t have had, especially considering the whole “moving across an ocean” thing came next.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

seiferguy posted:

My grandma kept every bathroom rug she had owned since the great depression in garbage bags in her basement. They were half eaten by rats. Why? gently caress if I know. Never know if you might need em!

seiferguy posted:

the great depression

This plays a huge factor. (My grandma had an attic full of stuff like this too)

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

The best part of those old speakers is that they would give you a 3 second heads up that you are about to get a cell phone call.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

The best part of those old speakers is that they would give you a 3 second heads up that you are about to get a cell phone call.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKx2bW5pG58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think I would like to have my friends and family snort a line of my ashes when I die.