Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Sophy Wackles posted:

When I’m making a right turn, stopped and waiting for pedestrians to cross, and the rear end in a top hat behind me is on their horn because they want me to murder the pedestrians so they can go.
I see you've met my husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Don't me I'm just driving down this road for a few miles.
click clack click clack click clack
What, my turn signal is on? Don't be ridiculous, I don't hear anything.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
on any night drive longer than 5 minutes i never fail to encounter at least one oblivious motherfucker with their headlights off

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

In the city I won't speed too bad but if I'm doing a big trip on the highway I'm sure as poo poo doing at least 20 kph over the limit the whole time. If you get caught doing 40 kph over the limit the cops will impound your car. So one time I was tight on time to catch a ferry and was doing 139 kph for a good amount of driving, the conditions were clear, road was straight, and virtually no traffic in the middle of nowhere. Not that 139 kph is particularly fast but just under the amount where they will impound your car full of camping gear, dog, baby, and soon to be very pissed off baby momma.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

should have left earlier

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Don't me I'm just driving down this road for a few miles.
What, my turn signal is on? Don't be ridiculous, I don't hear anything.

god yeah those people

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Space Kablooey posted:

should have left earlier
I was stuck behind some slow fucker hogging the left lane!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

This car stopped at the intersection before me, I must have the right of way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Do people creep into your blind spot on purpose, or is it just a constant coincidence?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you have object permanence there is no such thing as a blind spot. Sorry to all the 4 year olds and differently able driving cars out there who don't have object permanence.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i stay noided i look both ways at green lights

red light is a suggestion to some of these people, glued to their phones or just dgaf

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

zedprime posted:

If you have object permanence there is no such thing as a blind spot. Sorry to all the 4 year olds and differently able driving cars out there who don't have object permanence.

i swear some people are too stupid to understand basic loving trajectories. like the idea that you can predict where an object will be in the future based on its current rate of speed? that you can think ahead when youre operating a 2 ton machine that kills thousands of people every single day? cmon now. the way some of these dipshits drive you can tell there is absolutely no forethought. just drivin in the moment. whatever happens happens. maybe they trust in modern safety features, in medical treatment, knowing that smarter people will take care of them if something goes wrong, that if absolute morons were in fact too stupid to be entrusted with ownership of a piece of high speed machinery then surely the smart people would do something about that, make some laws so that stupid people eventually got taken off the road. or gently caress, you dont even have to be that stupid to not be naturally good at driving without being taught. or if they are normally smart they have too much of the drink that makes you stupider and drive when they are as drunk as i am at present

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dreezy posted:

i swear some people are too stupid to understand basic loving trajectories. like the idea that you can predict where an object will be in the future based on its current rate of speed?

All licenses now require 10 or more points scored in pong. If you can't do that then too bad.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Sees slow car
“Slow rear end bitch”

Sees fast car
“OK speed racer”

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Asobu posted:

Sees slow car
“Slow rear end bitch”

Sees fast car
“OK speed racer”

Honestly how I react to either situation.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It started to rain really hard in SF. People are generally assholes but the rain made everything smooth. The traffic was minimal (work from home) and those that were driving were being cognizant and sane. Consistent speeds. Distances between cars were sensible, lane signals were long and deliberate.... Like a fantasy world.

I will likely remember today for a long time

Edit: wrong thread lol

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
there's a weird phenomenon in northern climes where drivers forget how to drive in snow from one winter to the next

every winter, first snowfall, everyone seems to drive like even bigger morons for about 2-3 days and then they settle down and do (relatively) better

there's probably a german word for it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Some fucker ran into me. I was in the left lane and he just rammed the passenger side of my car. I'm still mad, shits gonna take months to fix

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i drive a piece of poo poo car

the unwritten rule is "nicest paint job yields right of way"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dee eight posted:

there's a weird phenomenon in northern climes where drivers forget how to drive in snow from one winter to the next

every winter, first snowfall, everyone seems to drive like even bigger morons for about 2-3 days and then they settle down and do (relatively) better

there's probably a german word for it

Bedrunkenwinterfahren

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Vim Fuego posted:

Some fucker ran into me. I was in the left lane and he just rammed the passenger side of my car. I'm still mad, shits gonna take months to fix

sorry about your bed

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

numberoneposter posted:

In the city I won't speed too bad but if I'm doing a big trip on the highway I'm sure as poo poo doing at least 20 kph over the limit the whole time. If you get caught doing 40 kph over the limit the cops will impound your car. So one time I was tight on time to catch a ferry and was doing 139 kph for a good amount of driving, the conditions were clear, road was straight, and virtually no traffic in the middle of nowhere. Not that 139 kph is particularly fast but just under the amount where they will impound your car full of camping gear, dog, baby, and soon to be very pissed off baby momma.

Are you in Canada or Europe? Because unless things have changed recently, in Canada it's 50km/h over before your car is automatically impounded and/or your license suspended. Unless provinces can set their own rules and maybe some did?

Which is why my driving motto is and always has been "always under 50 over." Except when the road is straight, flat, and empty. Which happen to be a lot of roads around here.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

People driving under the speed limit on a dual carriageway when it's 4am and the roads are pretty much clear

I say as I blast past them at 95mph

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mea culpa: My cruise control was broken for a while a year ago and I found myself driving at varying speeds like an idiot and I was like "Wow, it's hard to maintain a consistent speed manually while also paying attention to all the various things on the road" and I had a bit of compassion for my fellow idiot drivers, but it passed quickly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dreezy posted:

on any night drive longer than 5 minutes i never fail to encounter at least one oblivious motherfucker with their headlights off

One thing I’ve noticed is that when it’s raining, somehow it’s always the cars the color of wet pavement that forget to put their headlights on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
People who pull out on before you while driving on a 100kph road so you have to hit the brakes to avoid a collision.

Boy those people sure must be in a hurry, heading to the ER or something?

Nah not really, btw we're just gonna drive 80 on this 100 road now that we got out in front of you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

People who pull out on before you while driving on a 100kph road so you have to hit the brakes to avoid a collision.

Boy those people sure must be in a hurry, heading to the ER or something?

Nah not really, btw we're just gonna drive 80 on this 100 road now that we got out in front of you.

Yes! As listed as my number 2 worst driving thing in the OP.

What's amazing about it is it compounds two fundamental errors: They pull out in front of you AND then go slow as gently caress. And I always think of this third thing, an alternate reality, where if they had just waited ten seconds or so, they could have pulled out behind you, and gone whatever speed they wanted. And you can zip along unimpeded, wishing them well. And everyone is happy and the world operates smoothly.

But no. They had to pull out in front of you, even though there's not a soul behind you....

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I get the bus.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

redshirt posted:

Yes! As listed as my number 2 worst driving thing in the OP.

What's amazing about it is it compounds two fundamental errors: They pull out in front of you AND then go slow as gently caress. And I always think of this third thing, an alternate reality, where if they had just waited ten seconds or so, they could have pulled out behind you, and gone whatever speed they wanted. And you can zip along unimpeded, wishing them well. And everyone is happy and the world operates smoothly.

But no. They had to pull out in front of you, even though there's not a soul behind you....

I bet they just don't look that carefully, much like how I read your post.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I bet they just don't look that carefully, much like how I read your post.

lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

XYZAB posted:

Are you in Canada or Europe? Because unless things have changed recently, in Canada it's 50km/h over before your car is automatically impounded and/or your license suspended. Unless provinces can set their own rules and maybe some did?

Which is why my driving motto is and always has been "always under 50 over." Except when the road is straight, flat, and empty. Which happen to be a lot of roads around here.

Different provinces have different rules.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just got to Costa Rica yesterday and on the way from the airport I hear a loud scraping sound from the left. Turns out somebody jumped a concrete divider and got their car stuck on it. I saw sparks flying and everything.
https://i.imgur.com/gliMSkl.mp4

XYZAB posted:

It's 30km/h over here before you start getting demerit points on the license. Which isn't immediately a huge issue but best avoided, and 160 is usually fast enough for the roads here and the cars I tend to drive.

A friend of mine got busted doing that speed on an undivided rural roar that got his license suspended for 6 months and required a psychological evaluation to get it back lol.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

mobby_6kl posted:

A friend of mine got busted doing that speed on an undivided rural roar that got his license suspended for 6 months and required a psychological evaluation to get it back lol.

drat. I’d never get mine back. Time to slow down I guess.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

XYZAB posted:

drat. I’d never get mine back. Time to slow down I guess.

Nah, gotta go fast

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
I want all cars to have mandatory speed limiters, just to piss people off.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cryomancer posted:

I want all cars to have mandatory speed limiters, just to piss people off.

i wish cars didnt exist

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

i wish cars didnt exist

Imagine if we had to walk or ride lazy donkeys everywhere. How different our society would be.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
People with ohio plates and/or licenses should not be permitted to drive.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Space Kablooey posted:

i wish cars didnt exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

XYZAB posted:

BC is definitely 40 kph over. every now and then you read in the news about big groups of ferraris and lambos getting impounded in vancouver.

i ate that one once on my motorcycle a few years ago, hence one of the reasons i dont speed in town any more lol. i was close enough to home that i just walked, got a chance to think about all the money i just flushed down the toilet. towing fee, impound fee, speeding ticket, penalty points on my license. probably cost upwards of $1200 all said and done and they took my wheels for a seven days. kind of a self correction system. do stupid poo poo, win stupid prize.