Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

I don't have any experience with farming but probably like 30 minutes per day, tops.

The plants grow themselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
We've got an aerogarden with herbs growing in it so it can't be much different.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://torontolife.com/deep-dives/torontos-worst-landlord/

quote:

An Ontario ombudsman’s report from May 2023 found that LTB delays have led to hardship for both landlords and tenants. Landlords often have to wait up to nine months for their ­hearings to be scheduled, and some tenant applications can take two years to be heard. As of January 2023, the backlog had grown to more than 38,000 files. The ongoing delays at the board have forced some tenants to endure prolonged harassment from their landlords, months of unsafe living conditions and illegal attempts to force them from their homes. A landlord found guilty of the latter can face a fine of up to $10,000, though the amount more often falls between $500 and $3,000. Tenants who have been illegally evicted can also apply to the LTB for remedies, including compensation.

Where others see a broken housing system, Krebs appears to see opportunity. Unscrupulous landlords are able to take advantage of the LTB in large part because the proceedings for evictions are predicated on simple documents—documents that can easily be manipulated, as Wilson discovered. Yet, unlike a criminal trial, for example, the LTB generally doesn’t consider the past behaviour of a landlord. Instead, adjudicators typically make their decisions based on the information from the single case before them—allowing landlords like Krebs to benefit from a clean slate every time. Adjudicators often take landlords at their word, relying on tenants to raise red flags on bad evictions despite most of them not having the time or resources to fight any type of bogus eviction, let alone one concealed by fraud. It’s something Krebs seems to have counted on for decades.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol yea I don't think 170,000 every three months is going to happen

https://twitter.com/paulvieira/status/1737467502630674745?s=46&t=ruJSzwqECRxfc3oePbtIng

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

i dont think there's enough landlords to support this

we need a landlord support system installed asap! justin!!!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Slotducks posted:

we need a landlord support system installed asap!

Fortunately, erecting scaffolding is quick and easy.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just make sure at least half the new population is landlords problem solved.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they deserve each other

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cold on a Cob posted:

:cripes:

Last time i checked you need at least a few acres to scrape out enough food to live off of for a single person and that's in optimal growing conditions keeping you just above starvation. It gets worse the more arid the environment, unproductive the soil is, or short the growing season is.

With intensive growing methods and a vegan diet, you can push it to a tenth of an acre (of growing area) per person, so you could do a family on half an acre. Maybe an acre, given our shorter growing season.

But the point stands - basically nobody who actually owns the necessary acreage is setting it up for subsistence farming.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I still don’t see why we can’t halt immigration for a time. If you’ve already been accepted, we need to honour those agreements. But to continue this level of foreign student visas, for example, is insane. Do the colleges really have that much power? Do landlords?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

gently caress off we’re full

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A bunch of colleges probably stop existing if you limit international students. At least in Ontario, the government sets funding, domestic tuition rates, and the pay scale for instructors. They have done so in such a way that some colleges basically can’t operate without the money coming in from international students. (And the instructors and staff are not making megabucks here.)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Imagine if housing didn’t skyrocket when immigration was near zero

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Also note that this is predicated on 2.5 per household, a statistic that continues to decline. It's possible it will stabilize a little under 2.5 but here's a fun chart
Fertility has continued to drop for various reasons, but probably affordability is the main driver in recent years. Being more free to divorce was initially a significant factor in the drop of household size but it looks like the divorce rate has dropped slightly recently so that's probably not significant anymore.

As a relevant note when comparing housing per capita between Canada and the US the average US household is 25% larger than Canada.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 21, 2023

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the cynical part of me wonders if maybe the divorce rate has dropped recently b/c people can't afford to get divorced

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Probably less people are actually officially married and therefore don't need to get officially divorced.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In BC, if you live together with a partner for over two years, you have the same financial responsibilities towards your partner as if you were married.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

There's no "divorce" step in common law marriages - there is lots of legal/financial untangling stuff that's very similar to divorce process of a married couple, but no actual divorce occurs since the party weren't officially married in the first place.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cold on a Cob posted:

the cynical part of me wonders if maybe the divorce rate has dropped recently b/c people can't afford to get divorced
Divorces tend to fall in recessions for basically this reason.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm guessing the recent drop in household size has something to do with increasing fractions of new housing being shitbox condos, though I suppose boomers hanging on to empty nests could do it too.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I'm guessing the recent drop in household size has something to do with increasing fractions of new housing being shitbox condos, though I suppose boomers hanging on to empty nests could do it too.

Don't forget people not having children, cuz you know they can't actually afford it (among other reasons).

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Subjunctive posted:

A bunch of colleges probably stop existing if you limit international students. At least in Ontario, the government sets funding, domestic tuition rates, and the pay scale for instructors. They have done so in such a way that some colleges basically can’t operate without the money coming in from international students. (And the instructors and staff are not making megabucks here.)

Yeah generally in any system in which the government caps the tuition fees of domestic students at universities while imposing austerity that cuts funding to those universities (whether in actuality or just in real terms), administrators will turn to the cash cow of international students to make up the shortfall. Doubly so if those universities are caught in the arms race of having to spend to provide more elaborate facilities to attract new students. We're facing the same issue where I live in the UK.

Canada is taking it to another level, though, by obviously bringing in huge numbers of foreign students who have no hope of being able to stay here permanently but can provide cheap temporary labour. I can't wait until other Western countries with lackluster economies learn about this one trick that economists DON'T want you to know about!!!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McGavin posted:

In BC, if you live together with a partner for over two years, you have the same financial responsibilities towards your partner as if you were married.
Same thing in Ontario. However, if you have a kid together, buy a house, start a business, or some other "major financial undertaking" then you have the same responsibilities regardless of how long you've been living together.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

McGavin posted:

This is why I kick my girlfriends out 1 year and 11 months into the relationship.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Entorwellian posted:

This is why I kick my girlfriends out 1 year and 11 months into the relationship.

It's the smart move.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

A bunch of colleges probably stop existing if you limit international students.

Heaven forfend

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

COPE 27 posted:

Heaven forfend

I mean, they serve hundreds of thousands of students in Ontario alone, and the biggest ones aren’t much less fragile than the smaller ones. It would be a real loss to those communities, especially those outside major urban centres.

Universities often have endowments that they can dip into, and certainly get more grants and donations than colleges do, but they’ll hurt in time as well.

The government has constructed a situation in which the only way for a public college to stay afloat operationally is via the tuition from international students. Actually maintaining the facilities requires separate fundraising miracles, and colleges generally don’t do as well on that front as universities for a variety of reasons.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

qhat posted:

Imagine if housing didn’t skyrocket when immigration was near zero

I know it’s not the cause of the mess we’re in but is there a point in continuing to exacerbate it? There are a thousand predatory “colleges” we can absolutely do without.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I only know about the “legit” ones really.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

a primate posted:

I know it’s not the cause of the mess we’re in but is there a point in continuing to exacerbate it? There are a thousand predatory “colleges” we can absolutely do without.

I’m suggesting your solution is knee jerk and will have no effect

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

Also note that this is predicated on 2.5 per household, a statistic that continues to decline. It's possible it will stabilize a little under 2.5 but here's a fun chart
Fertility has continued to drop for various reasons, but probably affordability is the main driver in recent years. Being more free to divorce was initially a significant factor in the drop of household size but it looks like the divorce rate has dropped slightly recently so that's probably not significant anymore.

As a relevant note when comparing housing per capita between Canada and the US the average US household is 25% larger than Canada.

And if anything house hold size is likely artificially inflated from where it should be by the fact that the near zero vacancy doesn't give people the flexibility to form households as they'd like.

That is to say that if there were actually apartments for rent in the cities that people could move into, we would have more people moving out of their parents' basements.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Femtosecond posted:

And if anything house hold size is likely artificially inflated from where it should be by the fact that the near zero vacancy doesn't give people the flexibility to form households as they'd like.

That is to say that if there were actually apartments for rent in the cities that people could move into, we would have more people moving out of their parents' basements.

I wish I could move back into my parents basement.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It's mostly people getting into long-term relationships later, and subsequently having children later or not at all. Adults today are also significantly less likely to be in a relationship in general, leading to more adults living alone, thus smaller household size.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/happy-singlehood/202212/how-and-why-there-are-so-many-singles-in-canada

Although I would agree that the housing situation is part of the affordability crisis preventing people from having children. A couple could potentially have 1 child in the apartment they started out in together if they lucked in to a 2-bedroom. I can't imagine very many people would actually want to have 2 children right now.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 22, 2023

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

qhat posted:

I’m suggesting your solution is knee jerk and will have no effect

I disagree. It will definitely have an effect in major metro areas.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

Although I would agree that the housing situation is part of the affordability crisis preventing people from having children. A couple could potentially have 1 child in the apartment they started out in together if they lucked in to a 2-bedroom. I can't imagine very many people would actually want to have 2 children right now.

Changing work conditions have also increased the number of rooms needed. My partner and I are on the fence about kids, but one thing we know for sure is we wouldn't have one unless we have a place with at least three bedrooms because we both are hybrid and need an office for when we both work from home.

Which in this market sure is tricky!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Merry Housing Crisis! :santahurr:

https://twitter.com/fordnation/status/1738205310550983155

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

a primate posted:

I disagree. It will definitely have an effect in major metro areas.

Ah, excellent counter point. I guess I’ll just refer back to the data point where immigration was zero and, uh, nothing happened. The opposite, in fact.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

In fact here’s a thought experiment. In the news every single day we have home owners and landlords losing their poo poo over rising interest rates, Airbnb regulations, tenancy regulations, densification, etc.

I don’t recall any of them railing against PP’s genius idea of restricting immigration. Do you? What do you think this tells us about what needs to happen?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

qhat posted:

Ah, excellent counter point. I guess I’ll just refer back to the data point where immigration was zero and, uh, nothing happened. The opposite, in fact.

Was there an incredible dearth of places to live at that particular time? No? Did there happen to be a shitload of people already in the country having a hard time finding places to live? Also no?

E: when was this mythical time? Statscan has positive numbers going back to 1852

a primate fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

qhat posted:

In fact here’s a thought experiment. In the news every single day we have home owners and landlords losing their poo poo over rising interest rates, Airbnb regulations, tenancy regulations, densification, etc.

I don’t recall any of them railing against PP’s genius idea of restricting immigration. Do you? What do you think this tells us about what needs to happen?

I guess I missed when PP decided to restrict immigration. All major parties have wanted to boost immigration for my entire lifetime. The only way they have differed is in making overtures to letting the “right kind” of people in.