Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Snatch steal, ib and harp horror is so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im glad for all my orcust bros

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neo_Crimson posted:

Snatch Steal unbanned after like 20 years is wild.

It actually did get unbanned for 1 format at the end of 2014/start of 2015. It immediately got rebanned because it was still too powerful/game determative at the time, not to mention it could be searched with hidden armory.

With that said, it's probably fine to come back now. It's a going second card and does have counterplay options.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Change of Heart is at 1, we have Triple Tactics Talents at 3, I think having Snatch Steal at 1 isn't any meaningfully more dangerous.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gozen/tcboo/warlords at 1 is ftw.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
CIRCULAR BAN?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Terrortops to 2 is pretty sexy ngl

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
circular is weird considering mathmechs weren't doing poo poo but i assume its something like, it'd make it more difficult for them to balance any future cyberse decks or something idk

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

circular is weird considering mathmechs weren't doing poo poo but i assume its something like, it'd make it more difficult for them to balance any future cyberse decks or something idk

You say that but all the new firewall poo poo is just as bad wrt future proofing isn't i?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Look, power creep is a beautiful, natural process, but sometimes it needs to be helped along a little.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dabir posted:

Look, power creep is a beautiful, natural process, but sometimes it needs to be helped along a little.

This but unironically.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Sad that isolde is getting banned when i never acid golem locked anyone with mikanko. I'm sure i can still do it, but it will take some doing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would have kicked the rear end of anyone who acid golem locked me (threat)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That said I do the psychotic thing of running Feather Storm as a thrust target in Purrely because flipping Feather Storm at the start of turn 2 when I have Noir and Ensemblue Robin up is hilarious

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Here is a WIP congregated list of some of the top 100 DC decklists:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UehokUZVIhAbJgGTShu3gyad1aSk_O497zN1koDw1ko/edit#gid=0

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

The top 100 tally has been finalized. The decklists are still getting collected: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/tournaments/duelist-cup/december-2023/report

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They've revealed a Dragon Master Knight retrain. Its fusion materials are Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon (or 3 Blue-Eyes monsters) + 1 "Chaos" or "Black Luster Soldier" Ritual Monster.

Subbing for BEUD is easy enough, just use King if the Swamp. There's a few decent Chaos rituals, like you could use Illusion of Chaos, or Chaos MAX in a pure Blue-Eyes deck. But I have a more baller idea. Use Over Fusion or Fusion Tag, and change any ritual's name to Contrast Hero Chaos.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
I'd been having the itch to play some Yu-Gi-Oh so I installed Master Duel. Currently going through the solo stuff to get my bearings and to get more gems, cards, and whatever else the game will offer. It's been pretty fun so far but also extremely overwhelming (for reference, when I stopped playing last time Synchros where still relatively new lol) so I've come to this thread hoping for a little bit of guidance.

First off, it's not like I've come back totally blind. What brought me back to the game was stumbling on some clips on Youtube and seeing how fast the game has gotten and how much you can do in one turn in the first place. Also how much positioning seems to be a factor the days thanks to link monsters and other things, like imperm. All of that's fine with me. Xys and Links summons I've understood just fine and I think I also got a handle on some of the staples I should be crafting (Maxx C and Ash Blossom seem like no brainers, for example).

The big problem is… everything else lol. I've taken a look around the shop and looked at the structure decks and some of the packs. Problem is, since I hadn't played in so long, getting a feel for the power level of just about any card feels downright impossible. So my first question is, where should I be spending my gems to start with?

My first instinct is to buy some structure decks. Should I buy 3 of the same one or spread it around? Or should I just ignore those and go straight for packs (since it seems like those go on rotation and structure decks do not, if I'm understanding how it works correctly).

Also regarding packs, I know I should be buying them in sets of 10 if possible (to guarantee an SR). I've also seen some that offer free pulls, should I save those free pulls to round up those 10 packs or are they a totally separate thing? And if so I'm guessing I should freely pop those?

Also, is dumping 700 gems on the battle pass worth it for the extra resources or should I wait until and see if the game hooks me in first?

Those are my general questions, going into specifics: Any decent decks that are cheap to build that you'd recommend for a new player? Also any specific structure decks or packs I should be investing in while they're still around? Any staples I should be going for to start with?

Tl,dr:

I'm, basically, a new player. Help me spend my (fake) money.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but any and all advice, no matter how small, is appreciated.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
usually the best structure deck in terms of power level that gets recommended is Salamangreat (buy 3x)

best decks right now are probably branded, labrynth, purrely, and dragon link. people seem to like vanquish soul a lot but that deck sort of flopped in TCG/OCG and it might be new toy syndrome though it looks really fun to play

e) also i dont follow my own advice here sometimes, but wait until you have 2000 gems to buy a 10x booster set. that's because if you don't pull any URs, the pity system guarantees you at least one UR from your next 10

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also yeah if you're gonna play regularly (like just a few duels a day) the battle pass thing is worth it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Battlepass is always worth it lasts forever and is pretty easy to complete even casually. You can wait until near the end if you want tho. The bundles that include staple cards like ash are always worth. Grab the free packs, you can't save them up or anything.

As for what to buy/play... there's manadium + VS both in the packs rn. But they're in high rarity and the other stuff in the packs aren't especially great.

The structures have Salamangreat and Ninjas which are competent but not especially good.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

usually the best structure deck in terms of power level that gets recommended is Salamangreat (buy 3x)

best decks right now are probably branded, labrynth, purrely, and dragon link. people seem to like vanquish soul a lot but that deck sort of flopped in TCG/OCG and it might be new toy syndrome though it looks really fun to play

e) also i dont follow my own advice here sometimes, but wait until you have 2000 gems to buy a 10x booster set. that's because if you don't pull any URs, the pity system guarantees you at least one UR from your next 10

VS is good. It had a great showing in the recent Duelist Cup, ignoring TCG + OCG tops.

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/tournaments/duelist-cup/december-2023/report

Here's a list of most of the top 100 players decks in the recent cup.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Mannadium is crazy

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I think VS and Mannadium are really demanding for new players both in terms of rarity of cards and the know-how needed to play those decks well.

If you want to keep it easy with Structure Decks, Ninja and Blackwing are pretty complete out of the box. Ninja plays pretty different than any other deck, but is effective once you get the hang of it. Blackwing is a linear combo deck with strong boss monsters and decent interaction. I can't remember if new players still get Full Armor Master for free, but Tax Dragon is sometimes enough.

If not, I recommend the Swordsoul pack. Swordsoul is a combo deck with a linear gameplan, but lots of flexibility in your plays and how much room you have in the deck to play staples. It's the kind of deck that hovers around Tier 3, but it is strong and still represented in Ranked. I'd craft Virtuous Ecclesia for the free pull and go into it with a couple 10-pack pulls. If you can get at least 1 Mo Ye, Chixiao in terms of UR's and 1 Shaman and some number of Ecclesia, Emergence and Baxia in SR's you are set. 1 Chengying/Sinister Longyuan/Denglong are great but not required. The only additional UR cards I would say are required are 1 Baronne and Protoss. You can fill the rest of the deck with N/R's like Monk, Dragon Circle and the main deck Tenyis.

As far as staples to shoot for, the Bundles are all good to get. Handtraps like Maxx C, Ash, Imperm etc are inevitable but I would get a core for a deck before you worry about crafting those.

Cheap staples I would say are Book of Moon, Enemy Controller, Forbidden Chalice which are all Rare boardbreakers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If you buy a structure buy.3 to get a full set of each card.

The zombie one is pretty good, and the ninja one is very strong but requires a little more game knowledge to pop off (Force flipping your opponents poo poo to interrupt then and when that negates and doesnt)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dust Kaiju is also a cheap replacement for the more expensive Kaijus and the only downside is you give your opponent a somewhat bigger beatstick.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah, the basic plan is to pick your first, hopefully cheap deck, try to build it as best you can, and then supplement it with as many of the bundles as you can still afford.

Also, it's gonna kinda suck, but just do all the single player modes; the real value is in the early tutorial ones, but pretty much every single one past that gives 200 gems and legacy packs, and they add up when you're chasing a mo ye or a drident.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also you get the most important reward from the single player modes (danger!? jackalope!? mate)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kild posted:

Battlepass is always worth it lasts forever and is pretty easy to complete even casually. You can wait until near the end if you want tho.

The Battlepass does not last forever. It has a set expiration date for everyone, so better to wait towards the end to see if it is worth since the completion of the regular battlepass is free while the gold battlepass cost in-game currency (which can be earned for free). But the progress done on the regular battlepass carries over to the gold battlepass when bought. Depending on what calendar date you start playing Ranked or Event duels, the completion of the battlepass becomes less likely to be completed especially done casually.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I think they meant forever as an exaggeration of a long time since the pass lasts like 2 whole months

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dabir posted:

They've revealed a Dragon Master Knight retrain. Its fusion materials are Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon (or 3 Blue-Eyes monsters) + 1 "Chaos" or "Black Luster Soldier" Ritual Monster.

Subbing for BEUD is easy enough, just use King if the Swamp. There's a few decent Chaos rituals, like you could use Illusion of Chaos, or Chaos MAX in a pure Blue-Eyes deck. But I have a more baller idea. Use Over Fusion or Fusion Tag, and change any ritual's name to Contrast Hero Chaos.

Fusion Armament to summon BEUD then fuse with Chaos Max / Illusion of Chaos.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vandar posted:

Fusion Armament to summon BEUD then fuse with Chaos Max / Illusion of Chaos.

boring snoring, do it in a funny way

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Players are actually trying to win 30 second turn duels with Spright and Naturia Runick. Absolutely hilarious when I dunk on them with a trap deck

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am going toon beatdown (very poorly)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You should get an automatic invite to worlds if you win a 30 second duel with purrely

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Flair posted:

Players are actually trying to win 30 second turn duels with Spright and Naturia Runick. Absolutely hilarious when I dunk on them with a trap deck
I suggested this event in the survey exactly for combo deck player to suffer.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
What I'm not so much a combo player, but just want to put some actual thought into what I'm going to play next?

Plus 30 seconds isn't nearly enough time to monologue about the complex shadow game I've set up, and why exactly YugPlayer42069's soul must burn in the shadow realm for all eternity. Casual match players stay winning.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Nyaa posted:

I suggested this event in the survey exactly for combo deck player to suffer.

On the other hand, the event is full of stun players instead

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

blizzardvizard posted:

On the other hand, the event is full of stun players instead

That's what I was worried about. lol that they are still sticking to the 1 pack reward structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Duelists slogging through the most hellish formats Konami can haphazardly design for that sweet sweet single pack that's half filler.