Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmachina posted:

Hmmmm ACT, after underperforming in the GE, suddenly is polling back to where they were before the election? Either the polling is skewed or people are forgetting to vote. (Or lying about who they are voting for)

exmarx is a big fan of political pollsters Roy Morgan, take it up with him.

Meanwhile Nicola Willis unveiled a mini budget that "draws a line under Labour's economic mismanagement" as she unveils her party's mini budget that has inflationary tax cuts that we can't afford and which axes a bunch of spending that was projected to save billions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry we can't afford the tax cuts this year so it's just cutting spending and helping their mates out with stuff like interest deductability.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao that you imagine they're not doing tax cuts just because they're unaffordable

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh they're absolutely doing the tax cuts, they're just going to have to borrow shitloads to pay for them, on top of all the service cuts, programs being axed, raiding the climate emergency response budget and cuts to benefit increases

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they're also gonna loot the emissions trading scheme.

literally destroying the planet for tax cuts.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
$1.5 billion in cuts to the public service. like half of that is gonna be job losses.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
What I don't understand is how they managed to find 75 billion to save but like whatever that was to be spent on surley still needs doing at some stage so they must be spending it elsewhere anyway

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

klen dool posted:

What I don't understand is how they managed to find 75 billion to save but like whatever that was to be spent on surley still needs doing at some stage so they must be spending it elsewhere anyway

That's when you sell off assets

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

loving hate to see the media running the national party spin that these are "savings" rather than cuts, too. "Nicola Willis finds 7.5bn in savings" is such an innaccurate headline.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's almost all unrealised savings from cancelling light rail and the ferry upgrades lol. Plus 2bn from beneficiaries which treasury says is actually about 400m tops.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Are they counting the 1 billion in assumed revenue as savings by stopping the ciggie ban?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't think so, no. they're "savings" from:

- cancelling LGWM
- using the climate emergency response money
- canning a bunch of MBIE programs and subsidies
- reduced benefit increases (treasury says this is going to deliver way less than Willis claims)
- "tax changes" (not sure what the detail of this is)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

voiceless anal fricative posted:

I don't think so, no. they're "savings" from:

- cancelling LGWM
- using the climate emergency response money
- canning a bunch of MBIE programs and subsidies
- reduced benefit increases (treasury says this is going to deliver way less than Willis claims)
- "tax changes" (not sure what the detail of this is)

Isn't the Climate Emergency response money kind of restricted on what it can be used for? Ie it's earmarked for climate impact reducing things. Or is that a paper bag they intend to try legislate themselves out of?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
cerf is just a pot of money that labour invented to put ets revenue in. now ets revenue will be funding tax cuts instead – a form of "climate dividend" 👍

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Lobsterpillar posted:

Isn't the Climate Emergency response money kind of restricted on what it can be used for? Ie it's earmarked for climate impact reducing things. Or is that a paper bag they intend to try legislate themselves out of?

the government in parliament is sovereign and can indeed use money intended to mitigate climate change to instead fund suck and gently caress sessions for landlords

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The lockdowns definitely set a lot of those brain worms off here, all centred around Jacinda. You'd see the odd bumper sticker around that said "lock her up" or "Jacinda ArGERM" or "ditch the bitch" or whatever. Usually on utes.

At least two members of my family think that Jacinda is/was some sort of tyrant funded by secret backers to *mumble mumble mumble* anyway a RECKONING IS COMING FOR HER

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i thought make ardern go away was pretty amusing

It was tossup on what was more pathetic between that and #turnarden but I never saw anyone spend money on bumper stickers or aerial advertising for the latter

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gently caress this poo poo terf government

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Saw on twitter someone say that if cis sports people really opposed the law, it wouldn't happen. Imagine if the all blacks opposed it lol - but it's all pink washing.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This is actually worth a watch, Robbie Nicol is loving funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BKH5jdXu6o

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
tbh i was wondering how long it would take for them to get to the only thing all 3 parties have in common (the trans agenda)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

redleader posted:

tbh i was wondering how long it would take for them to get to the only thing all 3 parties have in common (the trans agenda)

Hey now, that's not fair. All three also dislike Māori, and they all like big business extractive industries

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Hey now, that's not fair. All three also dislike Māori, and they all like big business extractive industries

They also have a deeply shared love of
  • more money for me
  • gently caress you

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gently caress around

find out

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Huh maybe Simeon Brown has been deliberately set up to be hated by being given that portfolio. Nobody should be surprised to see that coming.

Frankly if they were going to use the CERF funding to fund 3 waters stuff it'd be more palatable than raiding it for tax cuts. But I have a feeling that the CERF fund wouldn't be enough

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 22, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Terf implies this government is feminist.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Who would have thought repealing the one initiative we had for keeping rates under control would result in a rates rise? Running a country is such a dark art.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Terf implies this government is feminist.

https://i.imgur.com/2YskUsV.mp4

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Discrimination based on race got us into this mess and discrimination based on race is the only way to get us out of it, but discrimination based on race is only racism when you are doing something bad to someone not when you are doing something good to someone.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

klen dool posted:

Discrimination based on race got us into this mess and discrimination based on race is the only way to get us out of it, but discrimination based on race is only racism when you are doing something bad to someone not when you are doing something good to someone.

Yes, I know I stole all of your stuff and shoved you into a pit, and stealing is bad and so we really should stop doing it, I agree! So when you forcefully take some of the stuff back in compensation, that's stealing again, and we shouldn't be doing that, remember!! Please stay in the pit and let me enjoy your my stuff, thanks a ton!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

sure we signed a treaty granting sovereignty but it wasn't with a multicultural nation so we don't have to honour it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I was reading about the concept of "policing with consent" last night and it just occurred to me that the NZ police supposedly are able to police because they have the consent of the people - the existence of the treaty means they can't be, at least for Maori.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

klen dool posted:

I was reading about the concept of "policing with consent" last night and it just occurred to me that the NZ police supposedly are able to police because they have the consent of the people - the existence of the treaty means they can't be, at least for Maori.

this is any institution, including treaties themselves

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Laws are just words on a page,, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I only accept treaties with a gold fringe