Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Tbh a lot of the Old Testament can be a bit rough--dry, confusing, or hard to follow. Not that the New Testament is necessarily easy reading but all the Gospels and Letters are more or less written for you, the reader, as the intended audience. If that makes sense? There are certainly more intelligent ways to frame this than I'm doing.

There are different purposes and target audiences for various books and the books in the New are generally more approachable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pellisworth posted:

There are different purposes and target audiences for various books and the books in the New are generally more approachable

Yeah, I think considering the target audience for the old testament (or any number of scriptures) helps with some of the concerns that come up. What were these people able to respond to? How might the truth be couched in a way that they can accept it and work with it?

The way that got done might make some of the specific details less palatable for a different audience.

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm going to try to be patient and curious with the books of the Bible that appear to me to be problematic. If I'm going to truly be honest with myself I don't really understand what's being said a lot of the time. After I finish my full readthrough I can check back in with some of the material that I found challenging and see how it's been dealt with by scholars.

The Church Fathers have written extensively on the books of the Bible. They will stand you in good stead.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chinook posted:

Yeah, I think considering the target audience for the old testament (or any number of scriptures) helps with some of the concerns that come up. What were these people able to respond to? How might the truth be couched in a way that they can accept it and work with it?

The way that got done might make some of the specific details less palatable for a different audience.

This is super important. I've talked about this before but I'm phoneposting so gently caress it can't find it so typing it again.

There's a lot of rules in the OT that seem monstrous by our standards, but when you dig into the passages, it becomes clear that although they are monstrous if applied today, they were quite progressive for the time.

The most infamous example is how the OT is a-ok with going to war, capturing women, and taking them home as wives. A literal war crime today. However, what the law does is give the woman an official place in the man's household and oblige the man to do certain things to ensure her well-being. At the time that was handed down, these women had no standing and no rights, and were treated horribly even by the standards of the time.

A lot of the rules are like this. They don't go as far as any modern person knows they should but they were a significant improvement for the time.

Also, a lot of the purity and purification rules and rituals need to be understood in light of a culture that doesn't have germ theory. There's a bunch that with our modern scientific understanding we see as silly but at a time when none of that was understood, they were doing the best they could.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nuclear Pizza posted:

The Church Fathers have written extensively on the books of the Bible. They will stand you in good stead.
It might even be a good idea to read it alongside commentary etc. by the church fathers instead of doing solo sola scriptura. Some priests may specifically warn you about this. There are highly differing views on this by denomination, of course.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Yeah, for a contrasting view, I was raised and still practice in an environment that's somewhat suspicious of a printed Bible with annotations, and does not specifically recognize the Church Fathers.

My personal approach is liberalized from each of these, read the book and accompany it with context, but pick whoever you'd like to provide that context.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Azathoth posted:

This is super important. I've talked about this before but I'm phoneposting so gently caress it can't find it so typing it again.

There's a lot of rules in the OT that seem monstrous by our standards, but when you dig into the passages, it becomes clear that although they are monstrous if applied today, they were quite progressive for the time.

The most infamous example is how the OT is a-ok with going to war, capturing women, and taking them home as wives. A literal war crime today. However, what the law does is give the woman an official place in the man's household and oblige the man to do certain things to ensure her well-being. At the time that was handed down, these women had no standing and no rights, and were treated horribly even by the standards of the time.

A lot of the rules are like this. They don't go as far as any modern person knows they should but they were a significant improvement for the time.

Also, a lot of the purity and purification rules and rituals need to be understood in light of a culture that doesn't have germ theory. There's a bunch that with our modern scientific understanding we see as silly but at a time when none of that was understood, they were doing the best they could.

Yeah, that's specifically why I called out literalists, because a fair number of them seem to think those tribal social rules should still be applied today.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's specifically why I called out literalists, because a fair number of them seem to think those tribal social rules should still be applied today.
Yeah? They keep kosher?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I mean obviously they pick and choose. The literalism is typically bullshit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

I mean obviously they pick and choose. The literalism is typically bullshit.
Oh I know, but now I'm wondering if any of these guys DO try to keep some semblance of kosher, lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Nessus posted:

Oh I know, but now I'm wondering if any of these guys DO try to keep some semblance of kosher, lol

There are some fringe Christian movements that attempt this yeah. From one end, Jewish people who convert to Christianity often want to keep major cultural trappings of Jewish identity; that's how Messianic congregations work to an extent. From the other, you have Protestant sects who reject major elements of Pauline and mainstream theology and see themselves very firmly as a continuation of Torah religion.

It's weird stuff.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans covers what it would actually look like (spoiler alert: it's pretty nuts)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

The idea that the laws laid out in the Torah are beautiful and worth applying today is also core to Orthodox and Conservative Judaism.

It's been frustrating to see the past 2 pages of discussion along the lines that my religion's holy scripture sucks compared to Christianity's. But I get it - they're older books from a culture more distant from that of the modern West. I suggest that the solution to culture shock is to more deeply immerse yourself in that culture and better understand its traditions and manners of expression - that is to say, yes read the Church Fathers they're very wise and interesting, but also read Jewish commentaries to understand how people can find joy and value not just in superseding these laws but even in following them.

Sefaria.com is an amazing repository for Jewish texts - it's heavily interlinked so you can open any part of one text and find where that verse or paragraph is referenced in any other text. For example, if you go to the page for Deuteronomy 21:18 and open "related texts" you can see 134 commentaries and 12 links to the Talmud. You can explore all day! One of the Talmud links will take you to Sanhedrin 68b, which starts a multi-page argument ending in the conclusion that the law is 100% binding but also has no possible situation where it could arise because of other principles embedded in Jewish law, and the law exists in order to disturb you into studying Torah. '

Does this reflect the actual intent with which the Deuteronomist composed the verse, probably not, but it shows how these passages can be engaged in a way that's both spiritually valuable and sane in its real-world conclusions, without having to say "yeah this is savage but later religious revelations made it inert anyway."

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
In the context of a Christianity that adheres to Paul's ideas at all, full and literal application of the Torah writings is very specifically not necessary, and that is the context in which literalism is being criticized here. Those same Christian literalists would also evangelize observant Orthodox Jews, because the point isn't reverence for Torah, it is a particular movement of social reaction and conservative identity.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

It might even be a good idea to read it alongside commentary etc. by the church fathers instead of doing solo sola scriptura. Some priests may specifically warn you about this. There are highly differing views on this by denomination, of course.

This is good advice, every time I read a book in the bible I immediately read the introductory essays in The Oxford Study Bible to get the historical perspective, timeframe, and broader context as well as generally accepted scholarly views on it.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I often wondered how Jews cope with having to follow the 613 Mitzvot. Then I actually read them. One of them is "don't eat worms".

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I have been posting about the five books of moses in a very blunt way without any attempt at tact. I see now that this is probably uncomfortable for Jewish readers and I'm teachable on this point. I'm willing to take accountability and acknowledge that I should treat the text with greater nuance.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

I have been posting about the five books of moses in a very blunt way without any attempt at tact. I see now that this is probably uncomfortable for Jewish readers and I'm teachable on this point. I'm willing to take accountability and acknowledge that I should treat the text with greater nuance.

I wouldn't want you to change your posting at all - you're sharing your honest reaction as an honest reader. I just meant to sdd to the list of ways to process disturbing/tricky parts of the Hebrew Bible.

Prurient Squid posted:

I often wondered how Jews cope with having to follow the 613 Mitzvot. Then I actually read them. One of them is "don't eat worms".

"Don't eat bugs" is challenging in the sense that you have to wash your produce to make sure there aren't any bugs. Each kosher certifier has developed its own list of standards for how to clean each fruit and vegetable. But then a lot of the laws (not that one) only apply in the context of a Temple to which one can bring sacrifices - no Temple, no mitzvah to being sacrifices applies. Msny agricultural laws only apply in the land of Israel.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 21, 2023

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Sefaria.org is incredible, don’t read Tanakh/Talmud without it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The idea that the laws laid out in the Torah are beautiful and worth applying today is also core to Orthodox and Conservative Judaism.

It's been frustrating to see the past 2 pages of discussion along the lines that my religion's holy scripture sucks compared to Christianity's. But I get it - they're older books from a culture more distant from that of the modern West. I suggest that the solution to culture shock is to more deeply immerse yourself in that culture and better understand its traditions and manners of expression - that is to say, yes read the Church Fathers they're very wise and interesting, but also read Jewish commentaries to understand how people can find joy and value not just in superseding these laws but even in following them.

Sefaria.com is an amazing repository for Jewish texts - it's heavily interlinked so you can open any part of one text and find where that verse or paragraph is referenced in any other text. For example, if you go to the page for Deuteronomy 21:18 and open "related texts" you can see 134 commentaries and 12 links to the Talmud. You can explore all day! One of the Talmud links will take you to Sanhedrin 68b, which starts a multi-page argument ending in the conclusion that the law is 100% binding but also has no possible situation where it could arise because of other principles embedded in Jewish law, and the law exists in order to disturb you into studying Torah. '

Does this reflect the actual intent with which the Deuteronomist composed the verse, probably not, but it shows how these passages can be engaged in a way that's both spiritually valuable and sane in its real-world conclusions, without having to say "yeah this is savage but later religious revelations made it inert anyway."
I certainly meant no offense, and if my comments specifically did offend, I am genuinely sorry. I'll try to be a bit more careful with words in the future.

I would also like to add that, just for clarity, that I was also specifically referring to literalists and specifically fundamentalists who want to roll back the clock to a more "pure" or "primitive" version of Christianity.

Their specific flaw, however, is that unlike Judaism, they don't want to engage in interpretation and wrestle with difficult texts to determine meaning. They want to take the most surface level readings and apply them without regard for original meaning or practical implication.

Also, to be clear, I may be flippant, as is my personal style, but I do regard the Old Testament as no less the word of God than the New Testament. Please don't take my irreverence as a lack of respect for the books themselves.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I mean, primitivist Christian movements have a long history, often good and reflective of serious devotion to God. They just usually are better when they engage meaningfully with why Gentiles practice Christianity at all, for example.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I wouldn't want you to change your posting at all - you're sharing your honest reaction as an honest reader. I just meant to sdd to the list of ways to process disturbing/tricky parts of the Hebrew Bible.

"Don't eat bugs" is challenging in the sense that you have to wash your produce to make sure there aren't any bugs. Each kosher certifier has developed its own list of standards for how to clean each fruit and vegetable. But then a lot of the laws (not that one) only apply in the context of a Temple to which one can bring sacrifices - no Temple, no mitzvah to being sacrifices applies. Msny agricultural laws only apply in the land of Israel.
My favorite part is that there are two good ways to do the ritual confirmation of your stove being free of particles of chametz (leavening, or leavened bread? same idea) for Passover. One of them is basically to drench it in boiling water... dangerous. The other?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7085386891176201518

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Doing that in a wood paneled room made my heart skip a beat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

Doing that in a wood paneled room made my heart skip a beat.
Statistically I am sure at least one rabbi has set a JCC on fire although they are generally solidly built

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nessus posted:

My favorite part is that there are two good ways to do the ritual confirmation of your stove being free of particles of chametz (leavening, or leavened bread? same idea) for Passover. One of them is basically to drench it in boiling water... dangerous. The other?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7085386891176201518

That loving rules. I'm not sure what exactly would happen if our pastor walked into the kitchen with a flamethrower but I am reasonably sure that he would not be in possession of it long enough for it to be used. Just imagining him being surrounded by a crowd of church ladies who politely but firmly take it from him and send him on his way. Then the real argument begins over which one of them gets to use it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Discussion in another thread brought me to wonder.

I know that the Bible is treated with a great deal of reverence, but I am curious if there are any Christian practices that use the Bible itself as an object of veneration or ceremonial focus. There is an example of this in the Nichiren sect of Buddhism, where (to speak very broadly) a representational calligraphic text is used as a focus for chanting, and which explicitly stands in for the Lotus Sutra.

e: for casual language on worship vs. veneration/ceremony lol

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, the Gospel book in liturgical churches is usually a major focal point of the service. It's bound with a gold cover, ceremonially carried to the altar, and I think the priest usually kisses it at some point. Also, on Orthodox Good Friday, there's a point where the faithful venerate it as well.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Keromaru5 posted:

Well, the Gospel book in liturgical churches is usually a major focal point of the service. It's bound with a gold cover, ceremonially carried to the altar, and I think the priest usually kisses it at some point. Also, on Orthodox Good Friday, there's a point where the faithful venerate it as well.

You can pretty safely count Lutheranism out of that, as liturgical we are. A priest acting like that would probably get a call from their bishop at minimum.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah that's the main example of a physical Bible being used as a "focus" or similar: the Gospel reading in liturgical services. There's a bit of ceremony and a big fancy book for the Gospel reading specifically. The specific ritual will depend on denomination.

Edit: Valiantman y'all don't have a fancy Gospel book that the priest presents to the congregation and/or is carried in a little procession to the altar for readings?

Ime the priest busts out the fancy Gospel for the Gospel reading in front of the congregation and raises the physical book up toward the congregation "Gospel reading from the Book of Luke Chapter 6" and then again after the scripture reading "the Word of God for the people of God"

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 21, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It is typical for Baptist churches, who typically emphasize Bible study, to have an impressive Bible on or near the altar.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Valiantman posted:

You can pretty safely count Lutheranism out of that, as liturgical we are. A priest acting like that would probably get a call from their bishop at minimum.

It’s pretty normal for the Bible to be picked up and carried above the head ceremonially up to and away from the alter in both Episcopalian and Lutheran services.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ohtori Akio posted:

It is typical for Baptist churches, who typically emphasize Bible study, to have an impressive Bible on or near the altar.

My (Lutheran) church has one of these but it is as decorative as the giant Jesus statue on the altar. The weekly readings are done from the bulletin or from a well-worn lectionary so no one is flipping through pages for minutes trying to locate verses.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Azathoth posted:

My (Lutheran) church has one of these but it is as decorative as the giant Jesus statue on the altar. The weekly readings are done from the bulletin or from a well-worn lectionary so no one is flipping through pages for minutes trying to locate verses.

Usually whoever is doing the reading at my church has it pulled up on their phone.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

Usually whoever is doing the reading at my church has it pulled up on their phone.
If their PDF is messed up, is this tech-heresy?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nessus posted:

If their PDF is messed up, is this tech-heresy?

The PDF is divinely protected from error.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just meditated for 25m and I feel terrible as a result. I felt uncomfortable before I started and that's why I tried meditating but I sat with the feelings and they became almost suffocating and very dense and uncomfortable. But this isn't even a fraction of how bad I felt last year so I'm not worried about it. I wonder how normal this is.

edit:

My intuition says this is good and part of processing my feelings.

edit:

I'm feeling a bit more jolly now. Which is good.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 21, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

imo, these kinds of things are normal, though I will note that a 25 minute meditation session is actually quite long if it was your first time, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing 5 or 10 minutes a day.

If they are persistent or leave you deeply distressed, then it can indicate challenges to meditation; I know there are some neurological disorders which can make meditation either difficult or tend to lead one to morbid or anxious thoughts when meditating.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I do feel better now. As for length, when I go to Quakers, worship lasts an entire hour and is in silence. So I'm practiced by now.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Nessus posted:

Discussion in another thread brought me to wonder.

I know that the Bible is treated with a great deal of reverence, but I am curious if there are any Christian practices that use the Bible itself as an object of veneration or ceremonial focus. There is an example of this in the Nichiren sect of Buddhism, where (to speak very broadly) a representational calligraphic text is used as a focus for chanting, and which explicitly stands in for the Lotus Sutra.

e: for casual language on worship vs. veneration/ceremony lol
Not Christian but yeah the Torah scroll is pretty precious as far as objects go in Judaism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkr3PV8BhY

P.S. there are a bunch of barristers and judges there for some reason, Jews don't usually wear powdered wigs

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hm, that's fair. I hadn't thought of a Quaker meeting as a form of meditation, but it would be, wouldn't it?