Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

empires of the past couldnt quite lash out the way america can if they feel the need to. their collapse wont be a quiet one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

this is why the consequences of fading empire has to be explained properly

im getting faded on this empire kush

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I think the most important thing to discuss right now is exactly why Yemen is bad. We really need to focus on that

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Tel Aviv, Asdod, and multiple settlements around Gaza are getting rocketed right now.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I think the most important thing to discuss right now is exactly why Yemen is bad. We really need to focus on that

I have noticed the tone about the Houthis has steadily shifted in the last few weeks on both traditional and social media. Initially it was kind of bemused, and suddenly it turned real dark and they are now being referred to as "perpetrators." The "perpetrators" that went from a few mountain guerillas to humiliating the Saudis now have their foot on the windpipe of much of the world's trade.

Sleekly posted:

empires of the past couldnt quite lash out the way america can if they feel the need to. their collapse wont be a quiet one

That is the thing, the US has been lashing out, and it isn't getting stronger, and nukes are just game over for their dreams of glory. We are already seeing the collapse in real time.

But for the average American, the empire is already a net loss and it is showing in the polls. It doesn't mean the future won't get messy, but it isn't a sustainable or useful thing for Americans to keep around. Also, I think a lot of people think things are a lot more stable in the US than they really are. Things in the US are quite rocky and is very much already fascist except in name, and most people are just waiting for something to change. The US is a lot closer to the edge than it may seem from the outside, even if an ultimate resolution isn't going to happen immediately.

This is a whole lot of "burger talk" but again, this is something that is silently having an effect. The Palestinians/Houthis need to hold their ground.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:04 on Dec 21, 2023

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Orange Devil posted:

I've given this a lot of thought and I don't think I give a poo poo what the collapse of US empire would mean for the average American tbh.

Same, it’ll be good for those who survive in the long run anyway

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/ianellisjones/status/1737515500471554356

lol at yanks mad that china's not blowing itself up on ansarallah missiles

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I don't remember any Chinese ships getting hit or taken. I wonder why.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

i feel like a big reason is that they're hoarding an absolutely disproportionate amount of the world's badass reserves

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Random question for the thread and I'm not making this up: my seven year old is currently sobbing because I explained climate change to him in realistic terms..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Did you mean to post in the parenting thread? Do report back there, I bet many of us would be interesting in how that convo goes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It was part of my explaining Israel and Palestine to him because imperial control over resources is the main thrust of the conversation.

We only bomb children because we want the thing under them.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Random question for the thread and I'm not making this up: my seven year old is currently sobbing because I explained climate change to him in realistic terms..

Give himn extra Roblox on iPad time

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Now tell 'em that they only have the illusion of existence and are really a barely self organized mass of random waveforms.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I bought him an ice cream float because I dunno I love my kid but like I'm trying to be honest with him about how hosed up the planet is.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

I bought him an ice cream float because I dunno I love my kid but like I'm trying to be honest with him about how hosed up the planet is.

Tell him there is at least a chance that China is going to pull it off.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Dec 21, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ardennes posted:

Tell me there is at least a chance that China is going to pull it off.

Edit: unrelated.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

Question for anyone with boat knowledge. How are the Yemenis knowing which ships to hit? I was under the impression that most of these big container ships sailed under the flags of tax dodger home ports, not who really owns them. Or is that even relevant to how maritime trade works? Is this stuff public and you can just google “boats currently headed for Israel” to find your targets?

the """real""" owner of a ship or the destination of its cargo is not something you can google, but it is something you can find out with some intelligence chops. you could probably do it via the internet as a private citizen some of the time if you were determined enough.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Don't abuse you kids.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Details of Hamas demands are taking shape, and wow they are not pulling punches:-

They want the release of

Marwan Barghouthi - the most popular fatah leader

Ahmad Saadat - The leader of the PFLP

and Abdullah Barghouthi a leadership figure in Hamas.

The fact that they are demanding these three in particular really shows that Hamas wants to build a genuine united front with all the palestinian factions and that they dont feel in any sort of position of weakess to compromise.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/2023...AC-%D8%B9%D9%86

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
This is not a doomer thread

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://x.com/ConspiracyBull1/status/1737615828831617326?s=20

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm trying not to be a doomer and I apologize to the thread for serious posting.

I try to be very honest with my kid about the thing I'm reading about and yeah sometimes that's heavy poo poo. It's hard to tell when a kid is ready to know exactly how hosed the planet is.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm trying not to be a doomer and I apologize to the thread for serious posting.

I try to be very honest with my kid about the thing I'm reading about and yeah sometimes that's heavy poo poo. It's hard to tell when a kid is ready to know exactly how hosed the planet is.

teach your kid the value of collective action, individualism is a curse
one of the problems with doomerism is how crushingly small 1 person is compared to the whole problem of, say, the palestine occupation

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was part of my explaining Israel and Palestine to him because imperial control over resources is the main thrust of the conversation.

We only bomb children because we want the thing under them.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Atlas Hugged posted:

:pwn:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

As a teacher I think that the less parents try to teach their kids, the better

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

Details of Hamas demands are taking shape, and wow they are not pulling punches:-

They want the release of

Marwan Barghouthi - the most popular fatah leader

Ahmad Saadat - The leader of the PFLP

and Abdullah Barghouthi a leadership figure in Hamas.

The fact that they are demanding these three in particular really shows that Hamas wants to build a genuine united front with all the palestinian factions and that they dont feel in any sort of position of weakess to compromise.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/2023...AC-%D8%B9%D9%86

that owns.

smart move to engage in coalition building

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Sancho Banana posted:

Ben Gvir picking fights with literally anyone that slightly upsets him - politicians, military officials, soccer players - is so hilarious. The man is deeply deranged.

he's even more of a Philly guy than Bibi in that respect

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
If I had a kid, I'd try to make them feel safe at home and teach them to have empathy for other humans, but I guess giving them existential terror is a choice.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Don’t be brutally honest with a seven year old about imperialism and climate change jfc

Egg Moron posted:

As a teacher I think that the less parents try to teach their kids, the better

As a parent I know there are a ton of idiot teachers out there because I’ve had to unteach my kid more than a few obvious lies and omissions designed to generate blind obedience to the state (I.e., patriotism). Maybe you’re the exception here, but many of the teachers I’ve met seem like absolute morons, and maybe you’d have to be either insanely dedicated or a total idiot on a power trip to put up with teacher salaries and treatment.

Now give us the well-deserved burger probes.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Reveal yourself

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

How can they claim that Hamas hides behind civilians, and yet also has 400km of tunnels they are also hiding in?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Toxoplasmid posted:

How can they claim that Hamas hides behind civilians, and yet also has 400km of tunnels they are also hiding in?

Their definition of "shield" is every building and resident in Gaza, as it's on top of the tunnels.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Toxoplasmid posted:

If they weren’t hiding behind civilians then why do we keep killing so many? :smug:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Loucks posted:

Don’t be brutally honest with a seven year old about imperialism and climate change jfc

my kids know Kings and Queens stole all their money but that’s as far as I’ve gone. anyhow, off to Tokyo Disney tomorrow. mixed messages are an important part of parenting

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If they weren’t hiding behind civilians then why do we keep killing so many? :smug:

:hmmyes:

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Cookie Cutter posted:

Their definition of "shield" is every building and resident in Gaza, as it's on top of the tunnels.

Operation incubator shield

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ProfessorBooty posted:

If I had a kid, I'd try to make them feel safe at home and teach them to have empathy for other humans, but I guess giving them existential terror is a choice.

I completely agree with you. Where we're running into issues is degrees. I try very, very hard to make sure my son feels safe and secure, which is one reason why he feels comfortable crying in front of me. He's just expressing himself.

At a certain point, a determined kid will ask you questions about things, and you can only avoid or dodge questions on sensitive topics for so long before the kid notices and calls you out.

I'm not quoting this thread at my kid, but I'm also trying to be honest about subjects that are of genuine concern and explaining it in a way that I feel is appropriate for his age.

The reality is that what we're facing has no precedent and we don't really know how any kid is going to react with when a watered down version is presented.

So my original post is probably exaggerating what really went down, but I'm also not really joking. How do you take to your kids about this stuff?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Reading C-SPAM to my kids as a bedtime story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Toxoplasmid posted:

You underestimate how many things are actually Hamas