Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Current day native americans are caught in a weird struggle of how much in this world they even really have a "claim" to. Many live on, or otherwise have some kind of stake in, Reservations which are weird as institutions, and have an uncertain amount of control over the land that they ostensibly own, often having their legal ownership and ostensible sovereignty overridden or infringed upon.

It is eternally negotiable whether they will be stripped of even what little they have, or whether they can assert some kind of claim to something that they hold culturally valuable, and there are very real material consequences to the consequences of any of those negotiations on top of whatever ostensible religious or cultural heritage they are protecting. And for things like human remains being reclaimed, often they are much more recent and more documented individuals so there's more direct respect to the deceased in question.

Which is worlds apart from out in Europe, people who live just like the rest of the population with no different legal status or property at stake, making up new interpretations of ancient societies irrespective of the actual scholarship on the subject, and laying claim to cultural heritage that they don't really have a greater connection to compared to others. I don't think that there's been all that much about native groups trying to lay claim to the ruins of the Mississippian mound-builders who to all evidence died out long before European contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah SlothfulCobra has it pretty good. There are very real and impactful legal and material issues at play that impact Native American groups basically whenever any archaeological work is done in the US.

cheetah7071 posted:

it becomes moral the very second they pass out of living memory

This is difficult for me to parse. What do we mean by moral? Whose morals? Whose living memory? How are you defining living memory?

Edit: What exactly are you doing? Is it infrastructure? Is the infrastructure helping the descendant community? Is the descendant community even aware that you are doing the project? Etc etc

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 20, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Kill everyone who knew about the grave other than you, bing bong so simple

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Grave excavation and interpretation has an unpleasant history in Europe also and is heavily implicated in a bunch of 19th-20th century race science type stuff. Germanic skulls look like this, but Slav skulls look like this. I get that neo druids are largely idiots and easy to pick on, but tbh I think it is better to be ambivalent about the whole practice. Also to let the dead lie if somebody cares about them, whoever they are or whatever their claimed connection to the dead. Digging up dead people is a weird thing to do. It can be extremely informative, but it’s definitely weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you didn't want to be dug up you should've stayed alive.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Grand Fromage posted:

If you didn't want to be dug up you should've stayed alive.
Yep, exactly. Skill issue.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

skasion posted:

Grave excavation and interpretation has an unpleasant history in Europe also and is heavily implicated in a bunch of 19th-20th century race science type stuff. Germanic skulls look like this, but Slav skulls look like this. I get that neo druids are largely idiots and easy to pick on, but tbh I think it is better to be ambivalent about the whole practice. Also to let the dead lie if somebody cares about them, whoever they are or whatever their claimed connection to the dead. Digging up dead people is a weird thing to do. It can be extremely informative, but it’s definitely weird.

Better evacuate every major city on the planet then. They’re all built on an ancient human burial ground and you might offend the genius loci of Rome. Byblos, you’ve been warned.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Kill everyone who knew about the grave other than you, bing bong so simple

thats what genghis khan apparently did and it worked great

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Call that the long Khan

Taishi Ci
Apr 12, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

New History of Yuan posted:

Later on, the Lord of Western Xia (Li Xian) sent up a petition begging leave to surrender; he presented as tribute golden Buddhas, young boys and girls, camels and horses, and golden and silver wares, all according to the Nine Nines tradition. The Emperor (Chinggis Khan) assented, granting the Lord of Western Xia the name of [Shidou'erhu], which means "speaker of truth". The Lord of Western Xia asked for an additional month before coming to appear at court, and Chinggis sent [Tuolunche'erbi] to reassure and instruct him. By this time, the Emperor was already so indisposed that he no longer appeared in public, and he secretly instructed those who were with him, "After I die, do not announce the mourning right away; wait until the Lord of Western Xia arrives and then kill him."

In autumn, the seventh month, the Emperor pitched his camp by the western river in Qingshui county. On the day Renwu (August 18th, 1227), his illness worsened, and on the day Jichou (August 25th), he passed away at Lingzhou.

Just before dying, the Emperor instructed those with him, "Jin has skilled soldiers at Tong Gate, while to the south they are defended by lines of mountains and to the north the great river is their bulwark; it would be difficult to smash them from head-on. Yet if you can get word to Song, who have hated Jin for generations, they will surely agree to help us, and they could swoop down from Tangzhou and Dengzhou to seize Daliang (Kaifeng); even if Jin were to withdraw their troops at Tong Gate to save themselves, such a vast journey would exhaust both men and horses, and we would definitely break them."

Having said this, he passed away; he was seventy-two years old.

When the Lord of Western Xia arrived to attend court, he was put off from directly meeting with the Emperor on the pretext that the Emperor was ill and was ordered to carry out the usual supplications remotely from the outside of the tent. After three days, heeding the Emperor's will, the generals killed him. That was the end of Western Xia.

The Emperor's sons brought his coffin back north of the (Gobi) desert, and only when they reached the field palace at [Halaotu] at the [Sali] River did they openly announce his death. They buried him at [Qinian] Valley. In earlier days when the Emperor had been passing through [Qinian] Valley and had noticed a large tree there, he had been so taken with the tree that for a long time he had lounged beneath it, and he had told his followers, "Make sure to bury me here someday." Thus at this time, fulfilling this earlier command, he was buried beneath that tree.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's probably hard to kill the people who know where they buried you when you're dead and in a box in the ground, unless he somehow set up some remote kill-switch on a time delay (unlikely) or was perhaps some kind of vampire (possible?).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mad Hamish posted:

It's probably hard to kill the people who know where they buried you when you're dead and in a box in the ground, unless he somehow set up some remote kill-switch on a time delay (unlikely) or was perhaps some kind of vampire (possible?).
I assume he trusted his family, which seems to have been born out

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nessus posted:

I assume he trusted his family, which seems to have been born out

The man had like 400 kids and all of them had 400 kids.

Word would've gotten out.

Probably only his closest friends and advisors knew and were in charge of killing anyone else who knew.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Supposedly he was buried in a riverbed, like Alaric I.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we have no idea where he was buried. it worked great

might be by a holy mountain, might be in a riverbed, we dont know poo poo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Better to just pull a Timur and leave a cool tomb that's hella cursed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sounds like he was buried near a tree, on the one hand that's probably notable in that part of the world, on the other hand it has been a millenium and I believe trees do eventually go bad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Better to just pull a Timur and leave a cool tomb that's hella cursed

We can even actually do that now. Just scatter plutonium everywhere. Any future archaeologists than dig up your tomb will die mysteriously, as will any collectors who own one of your artifacts. The only way to stop the deaths is to put everything back.

Edit: as a bonus your corpse will be perfectly preserved and undecayed.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 20, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The actual burial part of the tomb with the terracotta soldiers is still unexcavated cause it's full of mercury

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheetah7071 posted:

The actual burial part of the tomb with the terracotta soldiers is still unexcavated cause it's full of mercury

It's China, everything's full of mercury. It's not wanting to destroy the tomb during the excavation. Probably a bit of the Imperial Household Agency style obstruction too, what if the map that's supposed to be in there doesn't have Taiwan on it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Grand Fromage posted:

It's China, everything's full of mercury. It's not wanting to destroy the tomb during the excavation. Probably a bit of the Imperial Household Agency style obstruction too, what if the map that's supposed to be in there doesn't have Taiwan on it?

Just draw it in if it’s that important to you.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Crab Dad posted:

Just draw it in if it’s that important to you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The version I heard had Ghenghis Khan buried somewhere in the steppes, and then a thousand horsemen rode over the site of the grave to stir up the dirt and make it impossible to tell where the excavation had been.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Maybe I should go track down the linguistics thread, but how is it that our modern day renderings of old Persian names (thinking Xerxes and Cambyses mostly, Cyrus is at least in the ballpark if you know the C is supposed to be /k/, Darius also not terrible) are so off the mark to their contemporary pronunciations? Were they closer in the contemporary forms of Greek? Is there some intermediate language (Aramaic?) where a transliteration game of telephone is happening?

E: also god drat it bothers me that English gets all those soft-c's in there. For whatever reason it bothers me most that nearly every time an Anglophone says Cilicia it's the garbage pronunciation (si-lish-uh) and not Kilikia, the form preserved in half a dozen extant languages, including that of the people who live there right now. God drat we suck at pronouncing things. Does that happen in other West European languages too or just in English?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 21, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We have altered the pronunciation. Pray we do not alter it further.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
It's not just English. In Danish Ceasar gets pronounced Cæsar, with the same vowel sound used in words like æble (apple) or kvæde (quince - or compose, as in to compose a song).

At least I've yet to hear anyone pronounce it Ssipio Afrisanus.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also hate soft C fellow goon. I annoy my family constantly by pronouncing soft Cs as hard Cs

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 21, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The soft C thing is general Romance thing I think. In Spanish you say César which exhibits the same tendency. Greeks (and through them Persians, Arabs, Turks etc) kept the hard C. The Germans too, which is kind of a weird outlier

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The idea of going to Little Kaisers for dinner is giving me a nice little chuckle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tulip posted:

The idea of going to Little Kaisers for dinner is giving me a nice little chuckle.

Pitsa pitsa

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

With Latin pronunciation it's also a kind of an academic rivalry thing because why wouldn't it be. I learned to always pronounce C as K "as Cicero would've pronounced it :smug:" while people in another university with a more medievalist/Catholic bent may be taught the softer Church Latin C.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just pronounce C as ⟨ħ⟩, nobody never argues with me about it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

skasion posted:

The soft C thing is general Romance thing I think. In Spanish you say César which exhibits the same tendency. Greeks (and through them Persians, Arabs, Turks etc) kept the hard C. The Germans too, which is kind of a weird outlier

Probably because C is a Latin letter and K is a Greek letter.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So it’s Kick-ero?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The I is long so like Keek-eh-ro with emphasis on the first syllable

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i pronounce it in the normal way: “commander-in-chief erotic”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just cut out the middleman and call him Chickpea.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just cut out the middleman and call him Chickpea.

No, that's cicer. Cicero would be something like Chickpea Guy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

No, that's cicer. Cicero would be something like Chickpea Guy.
Ah, so like Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

PittTheElder posted:

Maybe I should go track down the linguistics thread, but how is it that our modern day renderings of old Persian names (thinking Xerxes and Cambyses mostly, Cyrus is at least in the ballpark if you know the C is supposed to be /k/, Darius also not terrible) are so off the mark to their contemporary pronunciations? Were they closer in the contemporary forms of Greek? Is there some intermediate language (Aramaic?) where a transliteration game of telephone is happening?

E: also god drat it bothers me that English gets all those soft-c's in there. For whatever reason it bothers me most that nearly every time an Anglophone says Cilicia it's the garbage pronunciation (si-lish-uh) and not Kilikia, the form preserved in half a dozen extant languages, including that of the people who live there right now. God drat we suck at pronouncing things. Does that happen in other West European languages too or just in English?

Even if you try very hard, it's tough to really accurately preserve the pronunciation of foreign names without distorting them at least a bit, because your tongue just isn't used to making those sounds or putting particular sounds next to each other. To do it consistently takes practice and focus, and for the most part that just hasn't been enough of a priority for people to put in that kind of effort. It's pretty common to even just outright "translate" names into your native language, like when we talk about "Tsar Alexander" or "Frederick the Great". Two thousand years of people badly pronouncing bad pronunciations of foreign names (and having to stick to those bad pronunciations so people will know who they're talking about) and you can wind up pretty far afield.