Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

arguing that we should not archive / index things that exist on the internet is an insane take for complete loving imbeciles and you are not "devils advocating" by suggesting it, you are being a loving moron

imagine if nobody did that for books. yeah just delete libraries, who needs to find any of this information years later

as a more primary post going "we should index and archive *everything*" is on its face moronic.

unless you're a recluse most of your communication is things you would not want indexed and archived, and the internet is for most people a primary mode of expression. e2e encryption is an obvious default speaking to people known and close to you, and it should extend to a lot of community, in the interest of "community" being a thing that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"huh 87 posts while I wasn't looking, I wonder what just droppe-"

:ohno:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as a more primary post going "we should index and archive *everything*" is on its face moronic.

people are talking about publications and not personal email, and until this post I thought it was obvious to all concerned

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think CV might also be referring to it in the context of something like forum posts, or possibly chat logs, but idk.

like, someone not being cognizant that their posts on a random phpbb forum from 20 years ago will be trivially discoverable and readable to the public

we all know that our words and deeds are archived in the library of congress, but maybe there are people who thought their furaffinity posts were private or something

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 21, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

people are talking about publications and not personal email, and until this post I thought it was obvious to all concerned

the very original op was about discord not being indexed being bad though. like, there's some sliding scale here, some things that are now put on discord should not be exclusively on discord, but discord not being indexed is i would say *obviously* not a problem. in that discord being indexed as a matter of course would be kind of horrific.

the real devils advocate is celebrating llm's poisoning google. which is more stirring the pot than anything. fair. that said i am not sure the internet will be worse for it over time, but i do realize that is a deeply fringe opinion with no arguments to support it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the very original op was about discord not being indexed being bad though.

no, I believe it was about using discord as a publication mechanism being bad because discord is not indexed. nobody proposed indexing discord, they indicated that they thought things should be published somewhere else that was indexed. discord not being indexed by default is fine, it just makes it a bad repository for knowledge as opposed to conversation

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

no, I believe it was about using discord as a publication mechanism being bad because discord is not indexed. nobody proposed indexing discord, they indicated that they thought things should be published somewhere else that was indexed. discord not being indexed by default is fine, it just makes it a bad repository for knowledge as opposed to conversation

just a demand people chat where it can be indexed, i see, thanks for the clarification of this important distinction

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

just a demand people chat where it can be indexed, i see, thanks for the clarification of this important distinction

are you being deliberately obtuse, or do you not know what "published" means and how it's different from "chatting"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

are you being deliberately obtuse, or do you not know what "published" means and how it's different from "chatting"

do you imagine the people posting things to discord are confused about what they are doing?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this conversation is dumb even for the secfuck thread

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

do you imagine the people posting things to discord are confused about what they are doing?

yes, constantly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

yes, constantly

ok, fair, the bar was set a touch too low in what i wanted to express there

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Subjunctive posted:

just like conversing in what's ended up as a repository has turned out to be a pretty bad idea for some people, in retrospect

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Not really. But people posting stuff that you would expect to publish (such as solutions to technical problems and documentation) in Discord, a chat system, is what got us here.

That stuff needs to be published somewhere visible and indexable, like wikis, or forums, or so on. Often, it is not.

Performing this publication is what people above you in the thread have been advocating.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for a long time, having support information on a forum was the worst possible way to provide support that still counted as providing support

but then along came discord...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nobody is arguing this

on another note i read the terrapin paper today and it concludes that ssh should be rewritten from the ground up

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

from what I understand, my preference to use public key authentication has largely protected me from the terrapin issue although I’m open to the idea of being wrong

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Half of the replies that I saw on the netgear forums, particularly for their enterprise vpn endpoint and packet inspection gateways, were from just one guy who said “I have the answer right here, click on this link to go to my website” and, to be fair, it had the answer but it also shows how batshit stupid it is to just let community forums answer common questions instead of the manufacturers provide support on their own dime. Because a few years later, the guy put his answers behind a paywall (I think). So every answered question was now a source of revenue.

I dunno why I still buy netgear. I have this nighthawk I have to reboot a couple times a week because it loses connection to a wifi extender. But I would rather have netgear than belkin, and ubiquiti is undergoing some weird poo poo right now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

At the risk of sounding very dense, I have something to ask. What does SV mean in its usage in the last page?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sb hermit posted:

and ubiquiti is undergoing some weird poo poo right now.

what's this, i have unifi stuff at home and will need new hardware shortly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sb hermit posted:

At the risk of sounding very dense, I have something to ask. What does SV mean in its usage in the last page?

silicon valley

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

more like silly-con valley!!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Midjack posted:

silicon valley

oh right. thank you

Shame Boy posted:

more like silly-con valley!!

:hmmyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Midjack posted:

what's this, i have unifi stuff at home and will need new hardware shortly.

five days ago, unifi cloud presented other peoples’ accounts when you went to access your stuff

https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/15/ubiquiti_camera_privacy/

this would not be an issue for me (no one does cloud security better than google, or maybe apple, and my risk assessments are scored with that in mind) because I don’t let certain classes of critical things connect to the cloud. I get the impression that ubiquiti is trying to get all their devices to use their cloud tools instead of just allowing site admins to handle things themselves:

https://community.ui.com/questions/...92-3985787bbddc

yes, a lot of this seems very chicken little and overreacting but I can start seeing a skynet-like scenario where a malicious actor could really do a number on my company or home network due to technocrat hubris and SV “break fast and send thoughts and prayers if we break too much” mentality.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

everything that I have read about the issue tells me that there is a fundamental architectural issue with their poo poo and they aren’t going to bother fixing it beyond papering over things

they probably don’t even understand how their poo poo works

if you have a building with a crumbling foundation due to earthquakes, you have to tear down the building. You can’t just add brackets to prevent bookshelves from falling on toddlers. Those brackets aren’t going to prevent the building from falling over.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i use ubiquiti but without their cloud stuff and it's just been absolutely 100% stable. never had any issues.

i hope they'll never make that cloud stuff mandatory because i'd have to find and buy a whole new network setup

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

i use ubiquiti but without their cloud stuff and it's just been absolutely 100% stable. never had any issues.

i hope they'll never make that cloud stuff mandatory because i'd have to find and buy a whole new network setup

I 100% agree with all of this

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I will absolutely never let a web service manage my network hardware. The idea of having critical infrastructure handling confidential data accessible directly by the vendor is horrific.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

the very original op was about discord not being indexed being bad though. like, there's some sliding scale here, some things that are now put on discord should not be exclusively on discord, but discord not being indexed is i would say *obviously* not a problem. in that discord being indexed as a matter of course would be kind of horrific.

the real devils advocate is celebrating llm's poisoning google. which is more stirring the pot than anything. fair. that said i am not sure the internet will be worse for it over time, but i do realize that is a deeply fringe opinion with no arguments to support it.
If the point of the post was that Discord isn't being indexed, I think it's important to realize that it absolutely is being indexed, just not by search engines.

Once Discord runs out of VC money, which despite their best attempts to flog the paid service is what actually pays for everything, they'll attempt to get themselves sold to FAANG, and all that delicious data will be gobbled up by whoever ends up putting the most money into the most run-of-the-mill techbros you can imagine.

Captain Foo posted:

nobody is arguing this

on another note i read the terrapin paper today and it concludes that ssh should be rewritten from the ground up
Of course it does, how else are the Terrapin authors spin this into some commercial venture that they, rather than the OpenSSH folks, can make money from.
Doesn't matter to them that the OpenSSH folks don't actually make money.

sb hermit posted:

I dunno why I still buy netgear. I have this nighthawk I have to reboot a couple times a week because it loses connection to a wifi extender. But I would rather have netgear than belkin, and ubiquiti is undergoing some weird poo poo right now.
Have you looked at TP-Link Omada? They've actually got device availability, and I've been quite satisfied with it in the first month or so I've had it.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

today, in all security vendors are trash: i've just learned that one of the major phish simulation platforms don't actually host their externally linked company logos (microsoft/zoom/etc) used in the phish emails.

they're hotlinked from wikipedia :catstare:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

as soon as they said "we will not import existing groups from symphony to teams" every said "that's ridiculous" and that's before they saw how bad teams is at video calls by comparison to even webex
Teams webview doesn't have a loving tile view. Who the gently caress is in charge and how can I get my hands on the rear end in a top hat.

sb hermit posted:

unifi has been loving *perfect* for us. Disable cloud creds once you're up. Perfect coverage and cheap additional APs owns. It's kinda of bullshit they're expanding into new stuff instead of updating the current lineup to better specs (especially the all-in-one gateway/controllers) but ah well. I can deal with only GBE to my APs.

spankmeister posted:

Basically this. There's nothing else in the midtier that's remotely near the same value prop.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 21, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

just a demand people chat where it can be indexed
this, but unironically

"people chat" is already being indexed, scraped, used and abused, but it's only accessible by discord/skype/teams/etc moderation teams, sysadmins, advertising giants, and elon

the sooner people realize centralized social media isn't a private environment, the better

e;fb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

i moved from a single cisco for $3000 to a bunch of ubiquity gear for way way less at work recently and it works, though having to enter poo poo into a web interface instead of being able to copy+paste it through ssh is annoying when inputting a ton of poo poo. i had to make a curl script for it lmao

i even have auto-updates enabled and haven't had any issues, but yeah, i generally avoid cloud poo poo for on-prem stuff like the plague

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

signed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Truga posted:

i moved from a single cisco for $3000 to a bunch of ubiquity gear for way way less at work recently and it works, though having to enter poo poo into a web interface instead of being able to copy+paste it through ssh is annoying when inputting a ton of poo poo. i had to make a curl script for it lmao

i even have auto-updates enabled and haven't had any issues, but yeah, i generally avoid cloud poo poo for on-prem stuff like the plague

you can manage the unifi gear via ssh, you just have to manually build and push your own config files. i don't know that you'd want to do that, or why you'd want to do that, but it is possible.

they're already building their products in such a way that you're guided repeatedly to set up cloud credentials for everything and local-only options are hidden. it's still possible to do local accounts, but they're doing their best to become meraki

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 21, 2023

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Truga posted:

if it's a pile of AP's, you can skip the set inform stuff with DHCP option 43. also, ubiquiti's edgeos is a fork of vyatta. would be interesting to see how far it's diverged from vyatta and vyos.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

you can manage the unifi gear via ssh, you just have to manually build and push your own config files. i don't know that you'd want to do that, or why you'd want to do that, but it is possible.
alas, from what i've read on the internets, the newest unifi dream router box no longer supports manually editing config files, you *have* to use the web interface. thankfully it's very easy to copy cookies from firefox into curl and pipe it a bunch of data and the router will happily ingest it and populate your 2000 firewall rules converted from ios lines in a few seconds lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

so if not Ubiquiti/Unifi, what’s the hotness for in-wall APs and PoE switches and stuff?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i wanna say mikrotik but their wifi offerings have always seemed like they were afterthoughts that are perpetually like 5-10 years out of date

their other networking stuff is still good though imo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the UniFi in-wall APs that are also 3-port switches (one with PoE pass through) have been so handy for getting good coverage in the house and not having to stash little switches in various rooms, but I don’t see anyone else who makes them, least of all with 6E/2.5GbE

I guess I just live with it for another few years until someone attacks Ubiquiti by not having the cloud bullshit (until their number has to go up)