Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SteveVizsla posted:

What would have happened if it was a tie?
In this case Jake breaks the tie.
We still don’t know what happens if it was like 3-3-2 or something where there are jurors who could recast votes to potentially break the tie, but in a shutout we know third place breaks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

SteveVizsla posted:

What would have happened if it was a tie?

jake decides?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Well, here is hoping 46 is better

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Well interesting I guess that the reflex action of "nobody saw Gabler winning and it was annoying" is editing a season that telegraphed Dee winning for the last eight weeks

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

In this case Jake breaks the tie.
We still don’t know what happens if it was like 3-3-2 or something where there are jurors who could recast votes to potentially break the tie, but in a shutout we know third place breaks it.

I mean, 3-3-2 is the same result as 4-4. The person in third place (who received two votes) breaks the tie.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

obliriovrons posted:

I mean, 3-3-2 is the same result as 4-4. The person in third place (who received two votes) breaks the tie.
How do you know? There are actual jurors who could potentially break the tie without bringing in one of the finalists! It’s never come up on the show.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

How do you know? There are actual jurors who could potentially break the tie without bringing in one of the finalists! It’s never come up on the show.

What? The jurors already voted. Or do you mean that the voters who voted for 3rd place would vote again?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh ok gently caress Jake. Prosecutors are scumbags

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

blue squares posted:

What? The jurors already voted. Or do you mean that the voters who voted for 3rd place would vote again?
Yeah they could easily vote again, just as easily as the 3rd place finalist could. I feel like the winner should be determined by the original jury if at all possible. If it went 3-3-2 and both of the 2 voting for third preferred the same winner, it would be weird for that winner to actually lose.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Congrats to Dee, but I'm not sure how much of her win is because of Katurah having an almost Sugar-esque desire to not win Survivor.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I like that the best player (by a mile) won, I dislike pretty much everything else about the episode and to some degree the season.

Must be nice to fly halfway around the world as a game show alternate and actually get to play :colbert:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The only surprise here was that it wasn't yet another 7-1-0 lmao

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Great season, great winner

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

"Stay Positive, Test Negative" - Survivor 46

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Raxivace posted:

Congrats to Dee, but I'm not sure how much of her win is because of Katurah having an almost Sugar-esque desire to not win Survivor.

That was definitely the only thing that could have stopped Dee from like F7 onward

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

pony: dee
poison: kaleb

:thurman:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Im sure that katurah is a very nice and wonderful person and human being but i honestly do not know who was worse at the game between her and jake who keeps going back to her even after every time she has screwed him over, to the point where a literal scorpion and frog scenario occurs because katurah cannot help herself from betraying jake

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Great season, great winner

lmao what the gently caress????????

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tony quidprano posted:

lmao what the gently caress????????

Dee played a strong game with a tight alliance and even played her alliance about as well as anyone could have in how she controlled information she received and gave out. I thought the gameplay this season was good, it being "predictable" is the show doing a better job of telling a coherent story. You want wacky and unpredictable, go check out edge of extinction.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
do you think they intentionally cast this dumb "secret lawyer" subtheme

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It just reinforces the cold honest truth you should never trust a lawyer especially if they play mafia on the internet

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Big lol at Jake's everything. My standards are low. I will take an easy to spot winner edit over the confusing slop we usually get for women.

New season February 28th. :toot:

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Dee played a strong game with a tight alliance and even played her alliance about as well as anyone could have in how she controlled information she received and gave out. I thought the gameplay this season was good, it being "predictable" is the show doing a better job of telling a coherent story. You want wacky and unpredictable, go check out edge of extinction.

She played a good game but the gameplay besides her (and probably Drew) was awful.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I'm not sure Dee surviving the F5 vote really had much to do with Dee herself.

That's not to discredit her though, every winner has some kind of lucky break. I think that was just her's.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

freeman posted:

She played a good game but the gameplay besides her (and probably Drew) was awful.

Emily played well too

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I think I'm ready for a returnee season. We need to see how some of these big characters from 41-45 (and hopefully some from pre-40) would do again. Also returnee seasons also up the bitterness and saltiness level by 3x, which we need some more of these days.

edit: just googled and apparently 47 and 48 are all newbie seasons. Welp never mind, guess we're waiting until 50

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Poor Jake. That dude really knows how to dig himself into a hole. I was glad he felt validated by the jury's responses, it seems like it really meant a lot to him.

I am... uncertain that Julie would've gotten enough jury votes. Not cutting Dee when they had the chance cost the rest of 'em a million bucks. I'm happy for her and her family though!

Overall I enjoyed that! Not the most exciting game of Survivor but I liked all the charming weirdos they brought on. It was clever how some of the advantage challenges were made from parts of the upcoming challenges. That familiarized the players and evened the playing field during parts that would require fine motor skills (like tossing bags). I hope they do more of that in the future! Did anyone else like the editing in this season in particular? I thought it was pretty self-aware and sometimes quite stylistic. The running gag where a player would beg someone "please don't tell X" followed immediately by them spilling the beans was always funny.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the editing was pretty good. I forget who pointed this out, but during the Top Gun montage the cut from the praying mantis or whatever to Drew flexing was almost a little mean lol.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 21, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of, it was so great to see Jeff hop up to shake Drew's hand impressed after putting him on the spot for one final intellectualism. This show could not have a better host and I can't wait for 46 :allears:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yeah i'm a fan

kaleb yelling out jake and then not voting for him was poor form

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Is it safe to come out and say I was a fan of the Reba 4 all along? Usually I don't enjoy the alliance in power but something about their dynamic was interesting to watch. They were all reasonable contenders too. I'm glad it came down to Dee vs Austin, as random as the Austin votes were. In comparison it was hard to root for underdogs Katurah and Jake with how bad they played through the entire game. Jake's whiny tantrums also got old weeks ago, so glad he was the zero vote goat :lol:

I think this makes my top ten favourite seasons along with Pearl Islands, China, Micronesia, Gabon, Heroes vs Villains, Cagayan, Cambodia, Kaoh Rong, David vs Goliath (not in that order)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CODChimera posted:

yeah i'm a fan

kaleb yelling out jake and then not voting for him was poor form

I think he just yelled J again, like he did before he shot-in-the-darked J Maya

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Im sure that katurah is a very nice and wonderful person and human being but i honestly do not know who was worse at the game between her and jake who keeps going back to her even after every time she has screwed him over, to the point where a literal scorpion and frog scenario occurs because katurah cannot help herself from betraying jake

it was like charlie brown and lucy with the football and the last one didn't even make sense because voting dee was katurah's idea, that jake was going along with, that katurah then sabotaged herself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabon had awful gameplay too but everyone loves it, S45 is fine.

I really liked the season overall. I don't actually think it had any major slumps.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Best new era season by a mile, in large part because 90 minute episodes are so much better, but that's part of the season so it counts.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Popero posted:

Best new era season by a mile, in large part because 90 minute episodes are so much better, but that's part of the season so it counts.

Agreed on all counts.

I'm happy for Dee, Austin did better in the end there than I expected, and my heart goes out to Jake. Having a freak out because you just missed victory for the umpteenth time is pretty embarrassing but very human. When he goes back to see if he can fix the rack, and realizes he properly hosed it, and then bashfully thanks Jeff for not yelling at him...I really felt that.

46 cast looks decent, but jesus christ am I sick of this format.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What are you folks' favorite seasons for the gameplay? Just curious to hear yours, I'm laid up with covid and P+ and would love the recs of long time watchers.

Popero posted:

Much agreed if we're talking new era. I love the 90 minute episodes and am ok if they drop Buddy Games to make room for it, even though I found that show charming af

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Say, was there any additional fallout over 'here's a letter from the mother you cut out of your life, how beautiful, momma always knows best and always loves you, by the way, thanks for sharing that she raised you in a cult and let you be groomed to be a child bride?'

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The funny thing about Survivor is that when someone plays as well as Dee does, the show becomes a lot more predictable and less exciting (I still loved this season tho). Jake's not wrong that he was the only one making big, crazy plays, but he was also the only one in the F3 who had to! Dee (and Austin, I guess) brainwashed most of the entire cast into just going along with them for a huge chunk of the season, and the two opportunities to get Dee or someone from Reba out were completely blown by Katurah. Why take risks when you're close to guaranteed a spot in F3 if you just take it easy?

Shneak posted:

Is it safe to come out and say I was a fan of the Reba 4 all along? Usually I don't enjoy the alliance in power but something about their dynamic was interesting to watch. They were all reasonable contenders too. I'm glad it came down to Dee vs Austin, as random as the Austin votes were. In comparison it was hard to root for underdogs Katurah and Jake with how bad they played through the entire game. Jake's whiny tantrums also got old weeks ago, so glad he was the zero vote goat :lol:

I think this makes my top ten favourite seasons along with Pearl Islands, China, Micronesia, Gabon, Heroes vs Villains, Cagayan, Cambodia, Kaoh Rong, David vs Goliath (not in that order)

They did an amazing job and if I ever end up on Survivor I hope I display even a fraction as much mastery over the different parts of the game that they do, but some part of me is always going to prefer watching messy Survivor over clinical Survivor I guess lol.

CJacobs posted:

Poor Jake. That dude really knows how to dig himself into a hole. I was glad he felt validated by the jury's responses, it seems like it really meant a lot to him.

I am... uncertain that Julie would've gotten enough jury votes. Not cutting Dee when they had the chance cost the rest of 'em a million bucks. I'm happy for her and her family though!

Overall I enjoyed that! Not the most exciting game of Survivor but I liked all the charming weirdos they brought on. It was clever how some of the advantage challenges were made from parts of the upcoming challenges. That familiarized the players and evened the playing field during parts that would require fine motor skills (like tossing bags). I hope they do more of that in the future! Did anyone else like the editing in this season in particular? I thought it was pretty self-aware and sometimes quite stylistic. The running gag where a player would beg someone "please don't tell X" followed immediately by them spilling the beans was always funny.

Yeah I thought the editing was really good this season too. I thought the way they incorporated the soundtrack was also really cool- I almost never notice it but there was almost a scene an episode where I thought the soundtrack fit what was going on in a cool way.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The overall season was fun It kinda felt like the people playing the game the most didn't make it to the last couple episodes, unless you count Jake failing at a plan basically every episode. However it's not like Dee just lucked herself into a win and deserved it the most out of the final three

Her resume imo was:
Arguably the top performer in challenges, top 3 at worst. Hard to get rid of her when she dominates immunity challenges near the end.
Seemingly well liked by everyone, arguably one of the most liked in a season where everyone seemed to like each other.
Telling Julie about Austin's plan was a big move, both in basically guaranteeing one vote and preserving her second closest Ally.

The knock on her imo is that until very near the end she basically coasted as part of a boring alliance.

Also I think Reba benefitted a lot from the fact that Bruce seemed to really worry everyone that he was going to keep winning challenges while holding an idol in his pocket. Basically at the time when Reba really needed to take a hit, all eyes were on a challenge beast that had also seemingly planted himself as a central social player despite most of the players being put off by him.