Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Plenty of humans turn evil and join the Orion Syndicate. Plus there's the rape gang planet. I'd like to knkw more about the backstory of the weapons dealer guy Quark joins and betrayed. Presumably these guys are from the evil planets and not Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

This probably explains why so many aliens don't trust humans. You have the Starfleet do gooders but they've probably encountered more evil humans that traffic space slaves and sell whatever drugs they're doing.

Death sticks, tranq, snake weed, pan-galactic gargle blasters, biomimedic gel, "crystal." They probably just call it " narc. "

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

This probably explains why so many aliens don't trust humans. You have the Starfleet do gooders but they've probably encountered more evil humans that traffic space slaves and sell whatever drugs they're doing.

Death sticks, tranq, snake weed, pan-galactic gargle blasters, biomimedic gel, "crystal." They probably just call it " narc. "

I got the latest holodeck drug....

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

I got the latest holodeck drug....

Is there anything more addictive than just the holodeck itself?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Holographic drugs?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

the headset with the frisbee game? it got William T "The holodeck fucker" Riker hooked

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

the headset with the frisbee game? it got William T "The holodeck fucker" Riker hooked

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It wasn't so much the game itself but the dose of whatever drug it was you got when you got the frisbee in the trombone. What's funny was the alien woman explained that to Riker and he seemed fine with it. He gets the frisbee in and he's like "Whoa, what was that?" And she just says "your reward" and he never questions it, so my take on that was Riker had an open mind toward space drugs and probably tried other things.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

the frisbee in the trombone.

:quagmire:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

the evil planets and not Earth.

I have some bad news...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

davidspackage posted:

Having to rub it on one another is so inefficient. Like, wouldn't a spray tan booth make far more sense? I'm fired, aren't I?

Berman: oh yes.

I do like the idea that someone was desperate to get the "sexy hardbodies spread suntan lotion on each other" scene into Trek and had the remarkable insight to just reverse the whole thing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Brawnfire posted:

I do like the idea that someone was desperate to get the "sexy hardbodies spread suntan lotion on each other" scene into Trek and had the remarkable insight to just reverse the whole thing.

This was arguably the entire point of Star Trek when Roddenberry created it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Man do I love me a good round of suckdisk

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Just try the game once, maaaaan, I promise you'll love it.

The thing that was unrealistic about that episode is that game developers would give you their game for free to try and get you hooked.
Games cost money!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

The thing that was unrealistic about that episode is that game developers would give you their game for free to try and get you hooked.
Games cost money!

Some beings just want to watch the world burn put disc in cone

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right, but nobody knows about that. The implant was recorded as an elective procedure, not a life saving one. The conspiracy incidentally concealed his accident, probably to prevent space OSHA from investigating why a student was working on a dangerous project like that without proper supervision.

As far as anyone in his life knew he disappeared for a few days and came back with a new implant and a new personality.

I'm pretty sure that they transferred him to the Cerritos exactly for that reason, so no one who knew him would grow suspicious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wasn't the disk game a subplot to aliens trying to take over the Enterprise

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was the A plot of aliens trying to take over the ship! The game was a mind control device.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Riker bringing the suckdisk game back to the enterprise like a cyber veneral disease

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Monkey Fracas posted:

Riker bringing the suckdisk game back to the enterprise like a cyber veneral disease

So this is jamaharon?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
He's not a particularly good first officer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

thotsky posted:

He's not a particularly good first officer.

More like Number 2 am I right?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like when the show was originally airing did people think Riker came off as a sleazy pervert or is that just a retrospective thing

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Pure retrospective, he was a soap opera style hunk

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

If we are supposed to buy the science part of the decon gel then it should have been spread everywhere on a butt naked body from faces to butt cracks and something done about their hair too. They half assed it and made it awkward. But as as far as bad stuff in trek goes it's pretty drat low on the list.

Hollismason posted:

Wasn't the disk game a subplot to aliens trying to take over the Enterprise
Wesley saved the day and I wanna say Ashley Judd helped him.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like when the show was originally airing did people think Riker came off as a sleazy pervert or is that just a retrospective thing

As a character he was given Kirk's macho sexyness, which Picard did not have.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

Games cost money!

No in a world that's post scarcity giving stuff away for free it's not weird. The most unrealistic thing about that episode is someone played by Ashley Judd being attracted to anyone who looks like Wil Wheaton.

Also this person's little hazy I might be remembering it wrong but I thought that the game didn't give you drugs it just released your own endorphins in your own brain.

Monkey Fracas posted:

If anything I'd say it's the reverse. I think more people are understanding that riker isn't as sleazy as they used to think

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

He is a huge slut but I don't think it's that sleazy, I recall he generally goes about things in a pretty respectful way, being honest with his FWB Troi when he is becoming emotionally invested in someone else, and rejecting advances that are clearly coming from the wrong place, its just funny to make fun of horny Riker. now Bashir, on the other hand :catstare:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Riker is sex positive, and positive he'll have sex.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

alexandriao posted:

It also makes sense from a writer's standpoint, it's a very close quarters thing so it's easier/conducive to writing character building moments that require a quiet, close scene while giving the characters another space to be that isn't an Action space. The fact that it's just a standard procedure people on away missions carry out means you don't need to rustle up an excuse for why two coworkers who in 3 years or whatever have never had any scenes together are suddenly doing a scene like this.

Hear me out: carnival dunk tank full of goo. They can still have their conversations while they take turns, one sitting above the tank and one throwing baseballs at the target.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Hear me out: carnival dunk tank full of goo. They can still have their conversations while they take turns, one sitting above the tank and one throwing baseballs at the target.

But with sexy decon room music, right?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
yeah Sleazy Riker is one of those like overarching running jokes the community has come up with and I don't think it's necessarily true in the show but just funny whenever it comes up, like Worf constantly getting his rear end kicked so the writers can establish the threat level of some alien just making it look like Worf is just getting constantly owned in TNG

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Nothing but Barry White and "Pony" by Ginuwine

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

yeah Sleazy Riker is one of those like overarching running jokes the community has come up with and I don't think it's necessarily true in the show but just funny whenever it comes up, like Worf constantly getting his rear end kicked so the writers can establish the threat level of some alien just making it look like Worf is just getting constantly owned in TNG

Except the worf one is usually true. He rarely gets to kick someone's rear end. Easily 90% of the time he gets chumped by the monster of the week

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 21, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Big rear end On Fire posted:

If we are supposed to buy the science part of the decon gel then it should have been spread everywhere on a butt naked body from faces to butt cracks and something done about their hair too. They half assed it and made it awkward. But as as far as bad stuff in trek goes it's pretty drat low on the list.

Which of the crewmembers do you think told the person lathering them down to "Really get in there" when it comes to the buttcrack area.

My money's on Tucker.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Yeah, Worf is much more of an actual parody character in TNG. He is basically there to either get hurt or introduce the most violent course of action into a discussion so that Picard can shoot it down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Riker is sketchy on occasion.

Main two examples are the trial episode where he's accused of blowing up that station, the scientists wife accuses him of trying to force himself on her. Riker denies it. But Troi senses the wife believes what she is saying is true. She also doesn't sense Riker is lying either, his version of events is she came onto him and he declined. But both believe they were aggrieved and neither is lying.

The other one is the creepy psychic who intrudes on people's traumatic memories, he intrudes into a memory of Troi's where Riker is not taking no for an answer. And it's ambiguous, did his intrusion warp the memory or is that something that actually happened?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Except the worf one is usually true. He rarely gets to kick someone's rear end. Easily 90% of the time he gets chunked by the monster of the week

Worf's greatest moment was fighting to the death over and over in the Dominion prison, with his fight coach Martok.

He was able to fully kick rear end, freed of the plot.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Wesley saved the day and I wanna say Ashley Judd helped him.

Yep, they had the foresight to realize they had to restart Data so he could actually save everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like when Worf decapitated that drug dealer Ferengi and said "This is not how you get ahead in life"