Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

glitchwraith posted:

A firework SoS is a great idea.

I'd also love for there to be some kind of limited in-game communication between allied ships. Maybe a messenger gull system? Only works with text, and takes a moment to be delivered, but would be good for long range planning. Maybe you could even trade maps to treasure you've buried to maximize profit if your running different emissaries.

Speaking of player treasure maps, I still want that system to be improved so that it's worth checking out. Maybe as an alternative to the board, you could put the map in a bottle that moves to another server, where it can be found on beaches or among flotsam. And unlike the map board, it's guaranteed to be a player's treasure, and thus more likely to be worth your time.

Gull message system sounds loving lit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
All they would need to do to get people to use the buried treasure map board is have it show the approximate combined value of X’s on the submitted map. No one uses it now because people just buried kegs and garbage like pig crates when it came out. And people like me, who actually did bury huge piles of good stuff, eventually stopped because most of the time no one would bother to dig it up. Bet your rear end that people would take a map from the board if they saw there was 10-20k+ of loot on a nearby island though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Kwolok posted:

Gull message system sounds loving lit

You have to actually write out the message with an in-game quill, or draw a confusing pictogram (new vector for cosmetics in addition to the obvious pet MTX in the messenger bird).

Edit: also a new vector to get swastikas by pigeon from randos I guess but we'll gunpowder barrel that bridge when we get to it.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 20, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

All they would need to do to get people to use the buried treasure map board is have it show the approximate combined value of X’s on the submitted map. No one uses it now because people just buried kegs and garbage like pig crates when it came out. And people like me, who actually did bury huge piles of good stuff, eventually stopped because most of the time no one would bother to dig it up. Bet your rear end that people would take a map from the board if they saw there was 10-20k+ of loot on a nearby island though.

Agreed. There should be some way to weed out garbage because no one gives a poo poo anymore.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That's a good point. Maybe the maps could change color based on the amount of loot? Dirty green for junk, gold for valuables? Would also make it easier to judge whether someone's map bundle is worth stealing.

I also think there should be some in-game benefit for putting maps on the board, as all it gets you is trading company rep and season renown.

Also, I just read that you can hand a buried treasure map directly to another crew by equipping it from the quest wheel and presenting it to them. Had no idea.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trading company rep and reknown is an in-game benefit.

also, you can tell which maps are player-generated (the board always has 2 npc maps per region and they use skeleton captain's names which break the naming rules for players) and any maps that have more than five items buried are registered as hoards rather than stashes. me and my friend bury stuff constantly - nobody else ever seems to put anything on the board, but basically any time we're sailing past an island and we fire off to get resources we'll bury whatever we find there.

last time we played we were doing a gilded gold hoarders voyage and saw a ship with reaper's sails heaving over to the island we just arrived at with 7 dig sites, so my friend took the ship and kept sailing to the next location while I dug up then buried the chests and waited to see if the ship was friendly - it was, a solo slooper, so i donated a chest then mermaided back to our ship after i finished digging. we couldn't be bothered to go back and pick up the chests in the end, but it was a lot of fun trying to stay unnoticed while converting our gold hoarders map into a buried treasure map.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

trading company rep and reknown is an in-game benefit.

Fair, but at the moment they are rewards with hard caps, and which are more reliably gained by simply selling the treasure yourself.

Ghostlight posted:

also, you can tell which maps are player-generated (the board always has 2 npc maps per region and they use skeleton captain's names which break the naming rules for players) and any maps that have more than five items buried are registered as hoards rather than stashes.

I forgot the hoard vs. stashes labels, but that's still not very indicative of the treasure value. A single Chest of Fortune should not register as less than five bronze goblets.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Kwolok posted:

Agreed. There should be some way to weed out garbage because no one gives a poo poo anymore.

they just added a way to do this and it is called safer seas

thanks to this new filter i was able to see the sunset for the first time and have a chill fishing session - things that were never available before due to the unavoidable nature of non-consensual pvp

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Thief posted:

they just added a way to do this and it is called safer seas

thanks to this new filter i was able to see the sunset for the first time and have a chill fishing session - things that were never available before due to the unavoidable nature of non-consensual pvp

I was able to cook a fish! Just think of all the content we could never experience beforehand

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Burying treasure sounds cool and pirate-like and all, but the core loop of the game is "get loot, sell it, get gold". There's no reason to bury anything except to hide it from other crews (to come back to and dig up again).

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Wasn't that solved by giving you bonus gold when your stuff was dug up and sold? I would have been way more interested in that whole mechanic if I knew I was always helping out another player instead of digging up worthless auto generated skulls and chests.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I have no idea. Players seemed to interact so little with buried treasure via the quest board, I've never experienced any "someone dug up your loot!" messages.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I’ve got the pop up for having your buried loot dug up several times before, mostly soon after it was introduced. However, you can still sometimes get people to dig stuff up by bypassing the board step altogether and just putting it in a place they’re likely to walk across. I’ve buried a mess of stuff right outside the door to the reaper hideout several times and that often gets taken. When you walk over a buried treasure, it makes a little clunk noise. So people figure it out from the sound and the ground looking all screwy, as long as you’ve buried enough items. I think you still need to post the map on the board, but they can find your stuff even without taking it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Burying treasure sounds cool and pirate-like and all, but the core loop of the game is "get loot, sell it, get gold". There's no reason to bury anything except to hide it from other crews (to come back to and dig up again).

In theory burying treasure should be a good way of hiding it and coming back for it later. In practice though because I can just kill you and take your map and dig it up anyway, what difference does it make?

Like literally the reason pirates bury treasure in stories is to hide it from people and come back to it later.

I would tweak the system so that when you go to an outpost with a bundle of maps, you can sell them for like 30% of everything buried. If you get sunk the other crew can pick up your map bundle, but you don't actually lose your maps.

Instead it's now a race to see if you can get your treasure back before they get it.

It would offer a "safer" way to hand in your loot, for less cash.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
It isn’t hard to hide stuff from people, even if they’ll eventually sink you. If you’re likely to get sunk, just pick up your map bundle and stuff it in a bush or drop it in the water somewhere.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Is the glint visible through vegetation at a distance? Not a huge problem anyway since you just need a dip in the terrain or a spot surrounded by rocks or other geometry.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
It can be, but only fairly close and it looks no different than any other debris loot laying around. If someone is intent on chasing you down, they aren’t going to be stopping to check random side-islands and empty stretches of sea.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

It isn’t hard to hide stuff from people, even if they’ll eventually sink you. If you’re likely to get sunk, just pick up your map bundle and stuff it in a bush or drop it in the water somewhere.

Chucking your map bundle overboard in the middle of the sea is going to let you go back and get it.

Hiding on a shore is possible of course, don't think anyone has ever successfully done it to me, but then I wouldn't know. I think most the time I sink people they aren't close enough to a shore.

If you jumped off your ship onto and island as we were sailing after you though I 100% would tell someone to jump off onto the island.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
If a pursuer is close enough to obviously see someone jump off the ship then you waited way too long to ditch the map. If you had forethought to safely bury your poo poo because you were worried about getting sunk then you should have had plenty of time to deal with the map too.

I love getting chased in SoT. It’s so fun, especially when it’s another sloop. Sneaking loot and stuff off the boat is pretty easy to do without being noticed, as long as you don’t wait until someone is right on top of you. Just hard turn to one side and the pursuer will almost always overturn that way to cut you off. Send a guy out the other side in the turn and swim the opposite direction underwater and they’ll almost never get caught. The cover you get being shielded by the boat and the distance you can cover below the surface means that you’re normally way out of visual range by the time your mermaid pops up.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Even if you can spend like 3 hours burying all your loot because you can hide the map in a bush, it doesn't solve the problem that you have to go dig it up though.

Hence I was saying I'd make it so you sell the map. It's safer and faster than lugging it all back, so you earn less.

Sold maps are the put on the community board.

Basically, there needs to be an actual benefit to burying treasure beyond "maybe you can hide the map a bush" and "commendations" because people will just sell the loot instead.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Best use my group's found for burying loot is if you're doing Fort of The Damned multiple times in a row.

Burying the Reaper chests you get from each run stops their beacons/icons from showing, so they don't pile up and make it even more obvious that there's a pile of loot waiting.

You don't even have to take them out of the vault, just bury them inside.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sell map to treasure board for 30% return, alliance member digs it all up and sells it for 180% total value - or immediately buries it again for another 30% and you pick up the map from the treasure board.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

Sell map to treasure board for 30% return, alliance member digs it all up and sells it for 180% total value - or immediately buries it again for another 30% and you pick up the map from the treasure board.

Treasure can be marked as "unburiable" so you can just have everything dug up from one of those quests non-buriable.

You could do the alliance one but I'd be sure two ships could just stick together for safety and sell it all and it would be faster, rather than sailing to every island twice in a row.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

fwiw i never leave the map floating because when first introduced, if the map sunk it would despawn the loot

tucking anything shiny in the geometry behind a bush has always been incredibly effective

also fun fact: stuff buried by players has an audio que when you walk over it

the biggest danger to buried loot is a server merge taking you out of the session (but i cant recall this happening after you scuttle your ship) - i've only ever lost loot this way a couple times

one of the incredibly underrated things about the buried treasure update is being able to recreate moments/motivations from major pirate movies from fighting over a map to weaseling your way onto a hostile crew's galleon by explaining you dont have said map on you but you know where it or the treasure is then waiting for the right moment to escape with the booty as they all try to kill you or are distracted by the next crew that shows up

these things can and many time have happened enough to where it contributes to the emergent gameplay far more than copy/pasting a neutered singleplayer mode ever could. updates like this were on the tail end of development but were things Rare had specifically mentioned they always wanted to add but didn't have the chance to.

on top of that, fireworks have become a core aspect of communication amongst players in various ways in the same way that sea hobos use capfires to advertise their location when trying to team up with each other

there's a reason why that update was directly associated with the bilgerats and that's because there's a lot more to this sandbox than simply killing each other and/or selling stuff to watch number go up so that you feel like you're winning

but for most they are blind to the ever increasing monthly gold sinks and other rehashed content that has been specifically tailored to keep them logging in every month due to fomo

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Just take a screenshot and you don't need to go back for the map

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it's cool that can help noobs finish their voyages this way, either by looking over their shoulder as they try to read it or teaching them to flip the map around and show others

you can also steal from them this way too of course because lol

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Icedude posted:

Best use my group's found for burying loot is if you're doing Fort of The Damned multiple times in a row.

Burying the Reaper chests you get from each run stops their beacons/icons from showing, so they don't pile up and make it even more obvious that there's a pile of loot waiting.

You don't even have to take them out of the vault, just bury them inside.

Sometimes there's also a maximum of x reaper chests on the server, and new ones don't spawn in the fotd vault anymore. Burying the ones from the previous run also "removes" them from the server, allowing more to spawn.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Last night some goons and I launched a brig and decided to knock out a Fort of the Damned for a Chest of Fortune. We rolled up with a Skull of Destiny and found the area pretty busy. Two sloops where fighting nearby, and an emissary brig was puttering around a nearby island. To be cautious, we left one person on lookout on the ship while the other two worked on the fort, swapping out whenever someone died. Surprisingly, no one attacked us. The sloops, which we first assumed where doing a PvP Hourglass fight must have been doing a Siren Skull instead, as one sank and then reengaged soon after. The brig sailed around randomly, often returning to anchor at the initial island, but also never engaged.

All anecdotal, of course, but if Safer Seas is affecting the balance of the overall game, we didn't see it last night.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfFgOw4cva4

Lmao first they removed pirating from the pirate game. Now they've removed the need to sail places.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Worth noting that you can't dive/fast travel with loot.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Kwolok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfFgOw4cva4

Lmao first they removed pirating from the pirate game. Now they've removed the need to sail places.

I was upset about this too until I saw that any loot on deck gets left behind if you dive.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
You can't dive with loot so I don't think it's a big deal. I wonder how it works with alliances, can one ship chain world events while another scoops loot?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Good change for people with limited time to pirate.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Good change for people with limited time to pirate.

yep. the time requirement to just get an adventure underway sometimes prevented me from booting this up. good option for those wanting to dive right in

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

those wanting to dive right in

:v:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
You can also dive to a world event meaning scanning the horizon is now no longer possible when doing an event because a ship could just appear

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Hommando posted:

You can't dive with loot so I don't think it's a big deal. I wonder how it works with alliances, can one ship chain world events while another scoops loot?

Can't really explain how it works here because I've seen it in the Insider build. All I will say is there's more to this then has been explained and I am not worried about the balance at all.

My prediction is the biggest use for this feature will be:

A) To get specific commendations about completing world events.

B) To start your session without spending 15 minutes sailing to the first island.

C) To switch servers if you're a Reaper and you've reaped everyone on the server and you want to keep your L5 emissary.

I actually suspect the devil's roar may see more use when you don't have to sail across the entire map to get there too.

Long story short, I think this is going to be an overall good change that won't actually make a huge difference. It will mean though almost everyone you see sailing will have loot.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 16, 2024

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, I think the video said you separately unlock the ability to dive straight to each event type on demand. That sounds like it will just move you to an available open server where that event is live and plop you down next to it. It’s not clear if someone else can be there already or if there’s a distance requirement though. So yeah, good if you’re working on commendations and want to go straight to an Ashen Lord fight without having to reload a million times without seeing a red tornado.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Kwolok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbwi6Hdm93Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, I think the video said you separately unlock the ability to dive straight to each event type on demand. That sounds like it will just move you to an available open server where that event is live and plop you down next to it. It’s not clear if someone else can be there already or if there’s a distance requirement though. So yeah, good if you’re working on commendations and want to go straight to an Ashen Lord fight without having to reload a million times without seeing a red tornado.

The video does mention that they are rebalancing loot in voyages vs emergent loot, so it may be there are even different loot values depending on whether you dive or not.