Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HE HAS OPENED HIS THIRD EYE, BRUTHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

HonorableTB posted:

Kevin Sullivan in Eastern Championship Wrestling cutting a promo on a beach against Abdullah the Butcher about how many crimes and felonies Sullivan committed and how his parents kept him locked in a basement so the family didn't know how messed up he was

wcw should have ripped off kane, he'd be good at the gimmick

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Went and looked and how is Sullivan not in the WWE Hall of Fame. The dude had some all time great gimmicks

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Went and looked and how is Sullivan not in the WWE Hall of Fame. The dude had some all time great gimmicks

When zero happens under the WWE spotlight, not even a late career nostalgia run, good luck with that

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

e: double post

The337th fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 18, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gotta make sure Abdullah, trump, and Drew Carey get their dues first

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Gotta make sure Abdullah, trump, and Drew Carey get their dues first

Drew Curry?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah despite this narrative where they've basically brought every major competitor under their umbrella and made them part of the history of the WWE, they don't give a poo poo about people who were only a big deal in other feds.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

if the Dungeon of Doom had happened in WWE, I can easily picture the induction heavily focusing on what a delightfully fun time that was, and a token mention of his territory days

and an absolute erasure of Nancy from any part of it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can see Sullivan getting inducted as a member of their legacy wing, after he passes and if they bring it back

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Repackage Judgement Day as the Dungeon of Doom, have Finn wear facepaint like The Zodiac instead of Demon Balor. Dominic can be the New Yet-Tay, fuggit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah despite this narrative where they've basically brought every major competitor under their umbrella and made them part of the history of the WWE, they don't give a poo poo about people who were only a big deal in other feds.

That makes sense. Disappointing though. Sullivan's 80s work that I've watched is some of the best heel work. The man knew how to be a psycho that everyone hated.

Are there other greats who are not in because of this? I don't know enough to know who is being snubbed

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

That makes sense. Disappointing though. Sullivan's 80s work that I've watched is some of the best heel work. The man knew how to be a psycho that everyone hated.

Are there other greats who are not in because of this? I don't know enough to know who is being snubbed

Besides Magnum TA and Nikita Koloff, I think practically any big name that was in WCW has been in WWE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sullivan also isn't helped that his peak character work before WCW was in Florida and that territory was pretty much a dead territory walking

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Besides Magnum TA and Nikita Koloff, I think practically any big name that was in WCW has been in WWE.

Considering Nikita's kayfabe ties with Ivan, I'm surprised he never worked any dates with the Fed.

Gotta wonder what might have happened with Magnum though, had he not been involved in that car crash. Probably one of the great What Ifs of professional wrestling.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
one of the reasons vader didnt get as big in wwe as he should may have been because he didnt change his name to mastodon like vince wanted because vince only really cares about his own creations or wrestlers he "reinvented"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Yeah I think Nikita should be in.

edogawa rando posted:

Gotta wonder what might have happened with Magnum though, had he not been involved in that car crash. Probably one of the great What Ifs of professional wrestling.

Magnum would have been an all-time great in the ring guy that was a bit stiff in promos. I do wonder what a Magnum heel turn would have looked like.

Ron Garvin will end up being a legacy.

Edit: what about manny Fernandez? His work in the mid-atlantic region was good. His matches were always fun to watch.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 19, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of the reasons vader didnt get as big in wwe as he should may have been because he didnt change his name to mastodon like vince wanted because vince only really cares about his own creations or wrestlers he "reinvented"

Can't imagine getting allegedly politicked out of a title win at SummerSlam in 1996 by HBK in full dickhead mode would have helped.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
Cornette also admitted that he was pretty "high maintenance", which fell in line with his track record from previous companies, so he probably would've gotten fired of his own faults anyway. Bret admitted that he hated working with the guy because of working stiff and, in his words, "smelling like throwup".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

finalcake posted:

Cornette also admitted that he was pretty "high maintenance", which fell in line with his track record from previous companies, so he probably would've gotten fired of his own faults anyway. Bret admitted that he hated working with the guy because of working stiff and, in his words, "smelling like throwup".

Mick liked him and while Mick liked most everybody even he said Vader worked a bit too snug and if Mick says that...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean I'm not saying it was Vader's fault, but he got two of his most famous injuries in matches with Vader.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I read somewhere that Vader never showered and I can't begin to imagine how bad it was. Reminds me of Bastion Booger and how his finisher was just giving the poor jobber a disgusting mustache ride, which commentary would always sell fantastically. In Vince's case though I don't think it was selling; I think Vince was legitimately disgusted by Booger because his voice always just sounds utterly grossed out when talking about him.

Also Vince tried to force Mastodon on Vader anyway because he would never refer to him on commentary as Big Van Vader or Vader, he was always "The MASTODON, the man they call Vader!" and would push Mastodon in commentary (even funnier was Vince being the only one to do that, everyone else just called him Vader) as hard as JR and King pushed "Paul Wight, the Big Show" or "The Big Show Paul Wight" when they were rebranding Giant after the 1999 St Valentines Day Massacre pape

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Separate post for a separate company, the period of time in 1993 when Dustin Rhodes was just Dusty-But-Younger was interesting. His promos become Dusty promos entirely. He starts sounding just like his dad, same inflection and everything. It's uncanny how good he can pull that off. Gah who doesn't love The Natural?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
high maintenance big vader

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

Gah who doesn't love The Natural?

Amusingly Dave was never a big fan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HonorableTB posted:

I read somewhere that Vader never showered and I can't begin to imagine how bad it was. Reminds me of Bastion Booger and how his finisher was just giving the poor jobber a disgusting mustache ride, which commentary would always sell fantastically. In Vince's case though I don't think it was selling; I think Vince was legitimately disgusted by Booger because his voice always just sounds utterly grossed out when talking about him.

I think he showered, it was just that he never washed his gear. Which isn't much better

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Which freebies is said to be the grossest wrestler was that Bam Bam or buddy roberts?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

In Vince's case though I don't think it was selling; I think Vince was legitimately disgusted by Booger because his voice always just sounds utterly grossed out when talking about him.

the bastion booger gimmick was a punishment because the dude failed/refused to lose weight after vince told him to. not sure if the discust was real/worked but vince's whole goal there was to publicly humiliate the guy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
tiny von vader

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

little munchkin posted:

the bastion booger gimmick was a punishment because the dude failed/refused to lose weight after vince told him to. not sure if the discust was real/worked but vince's whole goal there was to publicly humiliate the guy

This doesn't sound like the Vince McMahon we all know and love!!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did the Godwins ever wash their gear because I swear you can SMELL them in 96

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

I think he showered, it was just that he never washed his gear. Which isn't much better

Yeah, I believe he would just periodically turn it inside out.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Big Smelly Vader.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I have a very clear memory of JR calling him "That big stinky Vader" on commentary

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
JR also tried to get Booger Red over for a while.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

JR also tried to get Booger Red over for a while.

That means snot in america doesn't it? It does in Stephen King books, at least.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There's an anecdote in the ancient history thread about two anthropologists living in a recreated medieval village, studying medieval hygiene. They did an experiment where one didn't bathe, but washed his clothes, while the other used a modern shower every day, but didn't change clothes. The latter guy was so stinky they abandoned it after a week.

I don't understand how it's possible to have an environment where a bunch of professional athletes share a locker room and nobody can tell this guy that he smells bad and needs to wash his gear. Did they let him get away with that in high school? Was he one of those wrestlers who uses smelling like poo poo as a tactic?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Von Linus posted:

That means snot in america doesn't it? It does in Stephen King books, at least.

Yes, but why Booger Red?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Remember that time X-Pac took a poo poo and hid it in Mark Henry's lunch? Or how Randy Orton would take advantage of wrestlers insane obsession with handhsakes by going around with his hand down his pants specifically so any time anyone shook his hand they'd have to touch the hand that was just on his dick?

Wrestlers are just loving weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
According to Jim Ross, it was just that there was a Texan linebacker who had the nickname Booger Red from the much rarer "weird way of saying boogieman" etymology of booger and he wanted to call back to that. But also, Willie Nelson got the nickname Booger Red as a child for nosebleed related reasons and he's just as Texan as everyone else in this conversation, so the whole thing was ruined from the start.