Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

New Zealand is way bigger than I thought.

e: I'd really like to move to nz looks awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think generally it's europe is smaller than we think it is. Most places are bigger than it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Brawnfire posted:

They'll find a way! They're not called New "Zeal land" for nothing.

nope nope no new zealanders in real zealand they can gently caress right off

make them go to zeeland see how they like it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Spazzle posted:

Is Turkish food in Europe what America calls Greek or Mediterranean food?

depends on if it's a takeaway or a sit-down restaurant tbh. the more expectation there is you're sitting down to eat, the more actually specific the food gets

e: in my experience, "mediterranean" most often gets used to mean arabic, persian, or similar--any food from a country in the mideast that the government/average uninformed person doesn't like. you can see this most distinctly in israeli restaurants not using the label as often

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 20, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I think generally it's europe is smaller than we think it is. Most places are bigger than it.

That makes no sense, even Portugal on its own is as big as Europe, and that's just a small part of Europe.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Google Maps shows that there are in fact quite a few Portuguese restaurants in Luxembourg. Any story there?

Portuguese are 20% of the countries population. Schengen and small population lead to some weird stuff when combined some times

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

depends on if it's a takeaway or a sit-down restaurant tbh. the more expectation there is you're sitting down to eat, the more actually specific the food gets

e: in my experience, "mediterranean" most often gets used to mean arabic, persian, or similar--any food from a country in the mideast that the government/average uninformed person doesn't like. you can see this most distinctly in israeli restaurants not using the label as often

From what I've seen it's usually Lebanese food that gets called Mediterranean.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Guavanaut posted:

New Zealand is Not a Small Maritime Search & Rescue Region

So does their Maritime Search & Rescue Region really stretch from Antarctica to the equator? I didn't realize this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Anything involving yogurt, pita, grilled lamb, or chickpeas cooked in any way gets automatically tagged as "Mediterranean"

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Torrannor posted:

So does their Maritime Search & Rescue Region really stretch from Antarctica to the equator? I didn't realize this.

Pretty much, yes. I didn't realise either, but it makes sense.
https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/about-us/what-we-do/safety-and-response/rescue-coordination-centre-rccnz/#sar_area

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The neighbo(u)ring SRR regions of Australia and Chile are similarly gargantuan.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Without seeing it I bet Australia's is as large as every other country put together

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Without seeing it I bet Australia's is as large as every other country put together

It is pretty darn big, so is Chile's and South Africa's, but the US may be the biggest from the fact that we stretch out to a lot of pacific islands including some we don't technically own but are in our sphere of influence.

I guess if there ever is a dedicated Antarctic coast guard, that'd cut down on a lot of that area of the biggest regions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Las Malvinas son Argentinas.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Portuguese are 20% of the countries population. Schengen and small population lead to some weird stuff when combined some times

Portuguese in Luxembourg predates Schengen. Portuguese started arriving in Luxembourg en masse during the 60s as guest workers, same as Turks in Germany. Schengen and Portuguese EU membership happened in the 80s.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

chadbear posted:

Portuguese in Luxembourg predates Schengen. Portuguese started arriving in Luxembourg en masse during the 60s as guest workers, same as Turks in Germany. Schengen and Portuguese EU membership happened in the 80s.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Of course it's a Las Malvinas son argentinas post that gets immortalized

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Luxemburguess is a language? I trough they would speak french, or german or something from the a country in the area.

Edit:

Sounds german to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Jfor9KJdE

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Tei posted:

Luxemburguess is a language? I trough they would speak french, or german or something from the a country in the area.

Edit:

Sounds german to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Jfor9KJdE

It’s a dialect of German that due to history and geography has an absurd number of French lonwords

If they were not European it would be referred to as a pidgin or creole

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s a dialect of German that due to history and geography has an absurd number of French lonwords

If they were not European it would be referred to as a pidgin or creole

No, it would be called a patois. Pidgin and creole don’t make sense in that context, as those words are indicative of how the language originally developed, which would not be the case for Luxembourgish or Dutch or Occitan. it’s not a common imposed language by mass immigration or colonial powers. Luxembourgish has a ton of French loanwords because of French political domination since 1800, but it’s not really to the extent of being a creole, like say, English circa 1300.

Swiss German is a patois, as is Darja. The big difference with those two (far bigger) vs Luxembourgish being considered languages is that Swiss German and Darja have no standard orthography or literature (except really, really niche books - even more niche than Luxembourgish) and no one e.g. does a school report in Swiss German, even in primary school. Luxembourgish was a patois until whenever it was they standardized it and upgraded it to a real language in like the late 1990s or early 2000s.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 22, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why do Germans feel the need to have so many flavors of German?

High German, Low German, Middle Ground German, German+, German Premium, German Lite, German Classic, German Gold, South German (Bavarian), Dutch, South-Dutch (Belgian), North-South-Dutch (Frisian), South-South-Dutch (Afrikaans), Luxemburgerian, Lichtensteinonian, Austrian, Amishish, Danish, etc. etc. etc.

Seems like it would be simpler if they all just spoke French.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

High German, Low German, Middle Ground German, German+, German Premium, German Lite, German Classic, German Gold, South German (Bavarian), Dutch, South-Dutch (Belgian), North-South-Dutch (Frisian), South-South-Dutch (Afrikaans), Luxemburgerian, Lichtensteinonian, Austrian, Amishish, Danish, etc. etc. etc.

French was like this too until the 1st world war when the army and French school system got everyone speaking Parisian French

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The reason that Luxembourgish specifically has been designated as an official language is mostly due to the historical circumstances of Luxembourg, which has always been exposed to strong cultural and political influences from France, and which has had several negative experiences with Prussia/Germany. Promoting Luxembourgish and allowing the use of French is a way for them to emphasize their local identity as separate from Germany. It's basically the exact opposite scenario from Flanders, where Standard Dutch was adopted wholesale from the Netherlands, and the role of French has been eliminated almost entirely since the mid-20th century.

Historically speaking, that sort of particularist reasoning is usually a cultural death sentence if you're anywhere in or near the French sphere, but Luxembourg is not quite as Frenchified as it might appear at first glance to an outsider. The bulk of the native population does actually still speak Luxembourgish, and I don't think that percentage is currently declining. I'm pretty sure that publicly funded schools teach in Luxembourgish by default, at the primary level and possibly beyond, so it is getting passed on to the children of immigrants and expats as well.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

According to this highly scientific illustration, English is the most German language of all

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
That illustration needs a tiny Basque shrub in the corner with a cat peeing on it, for full effect.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

English is essentially German For Dummies, so in a way I suppose it is the purest and most stripped-down variety of German.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The German bits that are in it are like that but it has so much loan crap that it reacquires a bunch of complexity.

English would probably be better if it kept to the good parts of German as well as things like stripping out the genders.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hey now, Danish is not German! It's Norse, but we let the Germans treat us to a lot of words. Like, a lot of them. But it's still clearly not German!

Although full disclosure, 90% of above average grade students of German in Denmark just speak Zauberdeutsch, which is Danish with added ge- and ch.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Danish is the only Germanic language with a logographic writing system.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Groda posted:

Danish is the only Germanic language with a logographic writing system.

The Danish writing system is perfectly fine. It's mostly unrelated to spoken Danish, but otherwise it's fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the idea of Danish having a hieratic/demotic split.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

drk posted:

According to this highly scientific illustration, English is the most German language of all

Shouldn't it be High German in the leaves and German on the branch?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

another one from the depths of randomwaffle

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Internet use per capita?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Space Kablooey posted:

another one from the depths of randomwaffle

2003 tourism revenue

page ten

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I see what you tried there, counting Dutch as a flavour of German.

BonHair posted:

Hey now, Danish is not German!
True

drk posted:

Germanic, not german. German got kinda frenchified over the course of the recent centuries. One of the common examples is Fester/Window.
"Window" has a germanic base (wind-auge aka wind-eye aka 'the bit in your wall where wind and sight comes in'), but "Fenster" has a french base (fenetre).
And other stuff, like German & French using real grammar instead. English only has three cases, it's a baby language for baby people. It does compensate with two squirrels, and that's cute.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 22, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

As someone who speaks English, Hebrew and Japanese and now intensely learning French I still don't see the use for more than three tenses. loving gatekeeping is what it is.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have some bad news for you if you think English is a bastion against the frenchificacion of Germanic languages

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kiminewt posted:

As someone who speaks English, Hebrew and Japanese and now intensely learning French I still don't see the use for more than three tenses. loving gatekeeping is what it is.

Get back to me when you have more than 3 actual tenses that are not just aspect plus tense. I'm talking recent past, years past, living memory, historical past and mythic past as grammar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am still chuckling at Douglas Adams' joke that future perfect was abandoned because "it was found not to be".