Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Participation trophies were always about appeasing the parents, who would pitch a fit if their darling wasn't awarded and someone else was.

Source: watching it happen every year when we DON'T give out participation trophies. Because parents complained it would make their kids entitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging the fact that kids were willing to even show up and try to win (insert "Man In The Arena" speech here). It's fun to have memorabilia for something you did, even if you didn't win. It just gets weird when there is all kinds of value attached to it, which spawns both the "this is just to commemorate how much I lost" and "we're raising a nation of entitled losers" mentality. Just giving the kids something on the level of a ribbon or challenge coin is enough, but even then it's blugh blugh blugh we're raising a nation of squibs bluh bluh

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I always appreciated the idea of it. It recognizes all of the hard work that the kids put in regardless of their record.

Old people just throw fits because young people are getting treated better than what they did. But everyone gets participation trophies in the form of their paychecks. If you are not the best at your job but you still take a paycheck, then that is as much of a participation trophy as any ribbon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I always appreciated the idea of it. It recognizes all of the hard work that the kids put in regardless of their record.

Old people just throw fits because young people are getting treated better than what they did. But everyone gets participation trophies in the form of their paychecks. If you are not the best at your job but you still take a paycheck, then that is as much of a participation trophy as any ribbon.

excuse me but I think you will find that boomers all WORKED EXTREMELY HARD and DESERVE EVERYTHING, unlike all those other lazy fuckers around them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Every generation is worse than the previous. They just didn’t have the internet to constantly whine about their slow realization of mortality creeping up on them. Anyone with half a brain knows younger people work way harder if for no other reason than technology giving companies the power to micromanage everything to squeeze every ounce of blood from the workers.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

When I coached kindergarten I gave the kids personalized certificates for the season based on their most memorable (to me) accomplishment. Sort of like little league Achievements I guess.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so would universal basic income and a bunch of other good commie crap be the ultimate participation trophies?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My dad made me play sports I hated to make him feel better about being bad at sports just like his dad made him play sports he hated, and I'll be damned if my son emasculates me by not playing sports.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

My dad made me play sports I hated to make him feel better about being bad at sports just like his dad made him play sports he hated, and I'll be damned if my son emasculates me by not playing sports.

As accurate and sad as this is, I do love the mental image of a kid joining science olympiad as an act of rebellion.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I will always love my dad for getting laid the gently caress out doing middle school football, so much so that he focused on band entirely and didn't care less about me doing sports. He did, however, raise a band nerd, which in retrospect had a lot fewer participation trophies than athletics got.

Maybe it is the jock macho dads that need the validation!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My brother has become like this. He umpires little league and coaches peewee football and both his kids are in sports. When I talked about exploring activities my kids are passionate about he cheerfully replied "oh I just make my kids play baseball, they don't get to have a choice". He's drat lucky his son is an absolute unicorn of a kid in terms of personality, just really sweet kind and mellow.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why post this on the internet? They should get out there with a mimeo machine and a hundred windshields.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lmao whats so different about ICE engines that they can't do the same? All they gotta do is put nanomachines in the gasoline supply and they've got a universal killswitch (Mr Soros plz give me a grant for this my kids have expensive tastes this Christmas)

Also I wonder if their contempt for digital currency includes bitcoin

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You don’t even need conspiracy nerd brain to understand that if gas shipments to stations in your area stop, so does your gas car.

You just need to have put any thought at all into what you’re saying or repeating, and as usual anyone who’s ever posted in this thread has put more thought into CHUD brainworm media than anyone who actually likes it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Panfilo posted:

Lmao whats so different about ICE engines that they can't do the same? All they gotta do is put nanomachines in the gasoline supply and they've got a universal killswitch (Mr Soros plz give me a grant for this my kids have expensive tastes this Christmas)

Also I wonder if their contempt for digital currency includes bitcoin

Earlier this year the HonDie protocol was activated and it lead to a lot of cars getting stolen. :tinfoil:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I enjoy sports. Played some baseball, soccer and basketball growing up my son doesn't have any interest and I don't force him and don't care. Not sure why anyone should. If he wanted to try it and enjoyed it that'd be fun too (he did gymnastics for a while) but who gives a gently caress?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I enjoy sports. Played some baseball, soccer and basketball growing up my son doesn't have any interest and I don't force him and don't care. Not sure why anyone should. If he wanted to try it and enjoyed it that'd be fun too (he did gymnastics for a while) but who gives a gently caress?

I have a decent but distant relationship with my dad. He was very much in the "make my son do the things I like" growing up, which was especially rough because he was (and still is) a workaholic. Nothing strengthens a bond with your son like screaming at him because he brought you the wrong wrench or isn't working hard enough in the yard.

I really do wonder how different my life would be if he had made an attempt to understand my interests and the things I enjoyed. Reading comic books? Waste of money you should just throw those away. Watching movies and TV shows? Only if it's NCIS.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Medullah posted:

I have a decent but distant relationship with my dad. He was very much in the "make my son do the things I like" growing up, which was especially rough because he was (and still is) a workaholic. Nothing strengthens a bond with your son like screaming at him because he brought you the wrong wrench or isn't working hard enough in the yard.

I really do wonder how different my life would be if he had made an attempt to understand my interests and the things I enjoyed. Reading comic books? Waste of money you should just throw those away. Watching movies and TV shows? Only if it's NCIS.

Sure, of course. But are you as a father going to get behind your son's hobby of expecting everyone to finish the hardworking on Saturday morning at 7am and screaming at you for bringing him the wrong wrench?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Sure, of course. But are you as a father going to get behind your son's hobby of expecting everyone to finish the hardworking on Saturday morning at 7am and screaming at you for bringing him the wrong wrench?

Hah jokes on my parents, I made the decision to not even have kids. This cursed bloodline ends with me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You can't pretend our love didn't produce a child forever, Medullah. One of these days you'll come back to us.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

You can't pretend our love didn't produce a child forever, Medullah. One of these days you'll come back to us.

.... Amanda? The stripper from Dallas?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LonsomeSon posted:

You don’t even need conspiracy nerd brain to understand that if gas shipments to stations in your area stop, so does your gas car.

You just need to have put any thought at all into what you’re saying or repeating, and as usual anyone who’s ever posted in this thread has put more thought into CHUD brainworm media than anyone who actually likes it.

Given the post apocalypse crap like walking dead so many love, I think they assume gas and bullets are just naturally occurring pickups

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, like roads and the power grid they simply rain down from the sky like manna in the bible

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BiggerBoat posted:

I think a lot of it is parents trying to re-live their lives vicariously through their kids.
The dad who peaked in high school and didn't get that scholarship to play college football so he's going to make sure his kid becomes the next Terry Bradshaw (the millions of dollars won't hurt either), the mom who forces her daughter into like child beauty pageants and poo poo. Being young didn't work out the way they wanted it to for themselves, so they're going to fix it through their kids.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

the_steve posted:

I think a lot of it is parents trying to re-live their lives vicariously through their kids.
The dad who peaked in high school and didn't get that scholarship to play college football so he's going to make sure his kid becomes the next Terry Bradshaw (the millions of dollars won't hurt either), the mom who forces her daughter into like child beauty pageants and poo poo. Being young didn't work out the way they wanted it to for themselves, so they're going to fix it through their kids.

That's a huge main part of it, I agree.

Speaking for myself, though, there's another aspect to it where I WANT my child to have shared interests just so we can enjoy doing more things together. Like, I'm teaching him chess (he likes it), tried to run a bare bones D&D campaign with him (he didn't take to it), took him to the driving range/batting cages (no interest), and try to get him to read more by suggesting books I liked such as Dracula, The Hobbit and a few graphic novels/trade paperbacks with mixed results. What I mean is, we would both enjoy ourselves more if we both liked the activities. But I'm not bummed out, mad, disappointed nor am I gonna force him if it's not his thing.

Sometimes I take him to see movies that don't interest me, and that's part of being a parent, but it's more fun if we both like the film. Kinda glad he's not into football.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Thats seems one sided in motivation. Hopefully you're also trying to learn to enjoy the things they're interested in as well.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Given the post apocalypse crap like walking dead so many love, I think they assume gas and bullets are just naturally occurring pickups

You mean Gas Town and the Bullet Farm won't be real in our apocalypse? :ohdear:

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
It's wild tbh like you can't produce your own petrol, like that's literally not possible, and it goes bad in like 5 years, whereas electricity, well if you know ahead of time you can get solar panels so easily. If I were a prepper I'd be funneleling all my money into a compound with solar, wind and hydro.

Instead my prepping involves hoping I have enough warning that I can become a cool environmental storytelling skeleton or at the very least a pavement shadow

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DiabloStarCraft posted:

It's wild tbh like you can't produce your own petrol, like that's literally not possible, and it goes bad in like 5 years, whereas electricity, well if you know ahead of time you can get solar panels so easily. If I were a prepper I'd be funneleling all my money into a compound with solar, wind and hydro.

Instead my prepping involves hoping I have enough warning that I can become a cool environmental storytelling skeleton or at the very least a pavement shadow

I always carry a journal with me that says "It's too late, it's already happening." but then I tear the second part of the page off.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I've always held that in a nuclear apocalypse I want to be as close to a ground zero as possible because gently caress having to scrabble in the aftermath. Let me become a physics equation faster than my central nervous system can process.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Medullah posted:

I always carry a journal with me that says "It's too late, it's already happening." but then I tear the second part of the page off.

If a videogame protagonist found the journal I carry in my pocket, they would see:

quote:

carne asada quesadilla
side beans
chicken taquitos rancheros

[next page]

metamucil gummies
tums
diet coke

If that's not storytelling, I don't know what is.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My wallet just has a scrap of paper with
itchy
hungry

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dienes posted:

My wallet just has a scrap of paper with
itchy
hungry

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DiabloStarCraft posted:

If I were a prepper I'd be funneleling all my money into a compound with solar, wind and hydro.

We will need dank weed in the wasteland, good call.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

From a super anti vaxx relative so I'm suuuuure it's just a harmless Christmas meme right guys

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Medullah posted:

From a super anti vaxx relative so I'm suuuuure it's just a harmless Christmas meme right guys

Yeah and they can’t even keep the hoax going on children past the age of around 10. What’s their excuse for still believing in the hoax.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You can tell I HAVE A GOOD POINT because it relies on REFUSING TO UNDERSTAND the difference between a conspiracy theory and a children’s story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Perpetuating the Santa hoax for big Christmas