Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Virus or bacteria, doesn't matter. Much like the rest of this game's choices or variables it doesn't really matter to the universe at large and as a result I strain to care about something that should be cool. This game should have had scientists interrupting about what they mean by microbe and fighting each other over if they should use a virus or bacteria to wipe out the xenomorphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the two other characters get a name too. One of them very very indian and female.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tankbuster posted:

the two other characters get a name too. One of them very very indian and female.

Did they? I only remember the museum where they make a big point about Vae Victus being a Very Special Boy.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Virus or bacteria, doesn't matter. Much like the rest of this game's choices or variables it doesn't really matter to the universe at large and as a result I strain to care about something that should be cool. This game should have had scientists interrupting about what they mean by microbe and fighting each other over if they should use a virus or bacteria to wipe out the xenomorphs.

What’s interesting is that as much as it doesn’t really matter, it still matters more than anything in the main quest, which matters so little that I am honestly shocked that even Bethesda thought it was a good story.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Bethesda brilliantly managed to bury a major organizational change at the studio, by announcing it alongside Kotick's departure (which has already been known for months).

quote:

In addition, today we are announcing Jill Braff as Head of the ZeniMax/Bethesda studios. Jill will be responsible for leading the ZeniMax/Bethesda game development teams, which will continue to operate as limited integration entities, as well as continuing to oversee the Microsoft Casual Games team. Reporting to Jill will be Todd Howard, Todd Vaughn, Matt Firor, Paul Jensen, and Heather Cooper.

Todd hasn't reported to anyone other than Zenimax bean-counters in over a decade. Alongside Matt Booty being put in charge of all Xbox studios, that makes two brand new positions created that Todd now has to answer to. People have different impressions of how Starfield did in terms of sales, but these personnel moves are clear indications that there's something Microsoft isn't happy about.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Imagine buying Arkane and BGS and then ending up with Redfall and Starfield.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ephori posted:

lol

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ephori posted:

I guess employees were not happy with their new overlords.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
The whole point of these recent Microsoft acquisitions is to compete with the exclusives Sony has put out. Even if Starfield sold well, its poor reception isn't going to generate the kind of buzz that gets consumers to buy a console. It's not a leap to imagine that Microsoft is going to try whatever it can to turn Starfield into a CP 2077 turn around success story or to ensure TESVI doesn't poo poo the bed.

Bethesda's reaction to the poor reception also makes a lot more sense in this context. It's hard to argue you need to remain independent when the consensus is you've released a sub par game on the heels of F4 and F76. Emil's tweets specifically read more like a defense of his job than a defense of the game when viewed in that context.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ihmemies posted:

I guess employees were not happy with their new overlords.

There was an article going around shortly after the release of Redfall where they had talked to some Arkane staff. They were really hopeful that MS would step in and take more control, because it would mean the cancellation of Redfall which pretty much none of the staff believed in. But MS mostly kept their hands off and let the studio mostly run as before. So yes they were unhappy, but not for the reason you think.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E nm

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wonder when Microsoft will decide that maybe a decade plus without any new Fallout games is not great and it's time to twist Bethesda's arm and actually let Obsidian and Inxile do a Fallout game again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

I wonder when Microsoft will decide that maybe a decade plus without any new Fallout games is not great and it's time to twist Bethesda's arm and actually let Obsidian and Inxile do a Fallout game again.

Obsidian is already working on The Outer Worlds 2 so they probably are fine with keeping them separate for the moment.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its gonna be great for the discourse about getting a proper fallout game on a good engine and then Surprise: no modding tools.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Chillmatic posted:

Todd hasn't reported to anyone other than Zenimax bean-counters in over a decade.

I'm not familiar with how either company is/was structured, but how is reporting to Microsoft different than reporting to Zenimax?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The kind of mass adoption that Microsoft expects with Gamepass is even more at odds with providing high-quality releases from their marquee studios. When you need to keep people subscribed, then quantity counts more than quality. Any sensible publisher probably would have heavily postponed Redfall if not outright cancelled it, but because you need some big release for Q2 on your Netflix for games model, there's a certain element of "gently caress it, who cares" since you're only counting on people playing it for a week or two before moving onto the next big disposable thing. Microsoft owns so many studios by now that they can probably just brute force good games through attrition.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Megazver posted:

This is such a sad form of not being able to let go

"Obsidian made a good Fallout game once, just ignore the staff turnovers since New Vegas surely they'll fix it all despite their own floundering with Outer Worlds"

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 21, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
nothing. Is completely pointless speculation. Todd had been under zenimax for long enough that he could just have sold his shares and bailed.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Magmarashi posted:

"Obsidian made a good Fallout game once, just ignore the staff turnovers since New Vegas surely they'll fix it all despite their own floundering with Outer Worlds"

Outer worlds was perfectly fine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the first npc you encounter in outer worlds is some injured guard in a cave and he says something like "happy corporate morning" and at that very moment i knew outer worlds was going to suck rear end

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Scrungus posted:

Outer worlds was perfectly fine

It was fine, but it really illustrated that the studio had changed from what it was when it made New Vegas, and it lacked the same spark and shine

(Depending on the time of day and phase of the moon, however, you'll have people talking about OW like it was the greatest thing or the biggest pile of poo poo ever)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ephori posted:

Arkane being forced to make a game that is the exact opposite of their wheelhouse is a bigger failure than Starfield IMO

Starfield just clearly wasn’t finished. Maybe some day it will be better after they have put out more content, but Redfall was a huge disaster and it was also fully preventable.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

isndl posted:

I'm not familiar with how either company is/was structured, but how is reporting to Microsoft different than reporting to Zenimax?

Zenimax as a company was created from executives at Bethesda; there's a level of familiarity and trust there that was unique in the industry. The extent of Todd's responsibility to them was just "Keep making games that make money, we don't care how you do it." No execs at Zenimax knew enough about game development to specifically direct Bethesda on how to make their games.

Now, Matt Booty and Jill Braff are directly involved on the development/design side of things; they can ask to see the latest build of a game, and direct the studio to make specific changes if they aren't happy with what they're seeing. Previously that was Todd's job.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 21, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Magmarashi posted:

It was fine, but it really illustrated that the studio had changed from what it was when it made New Vegas, and it lacked the same spark and shine

(Depending on the time of day and phase of the moon, however, you'll have people talking about OW like it was the greatest thing or the biggest pile of poo poo ever)

Also had to develop their assets from scratch. Seriously, spark and shine is such a memetic word. They already had a complete design doc for their own fallout game in place that they were able to implement in another game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

Also had to develop their assets from scratch. Seriously, spark and shine is such a memetic word. They already had a complete design doc for their own fallout game in place that they were able to implement in another game.

Technically it would be TWO memetic words, but excuse me I wasn't aware it was a meme and therefore invalid or whatever

I guess ignoring the fact that asset creation and writing don't have a lot of overlap and apparently they didn't have a design doc for their own game at all you are implying??

Genuinely at a bit of a loss here as to how "They had to make all their own assets!" has anything to do with a world and story and writing that was just 'Ok Enough'

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 21, 2023

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Deadfire, Grounded, and Pentiment are fantastic. Outer Worlds was better than its reputation. Obsidian's doing just fine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

If we're psychoanalyzing each other over the internet now, I hope you one day find that the source of your self worth was within you after all, and that you don't need to invent imaginary quotes to dunk on to make yourself feel good.

ImpAtom posted:

Obsidian is already working on The Outer Worlds 2 so they probably are fine with keeping them separate for the moment.

If they were still independent, it would definitely be wiser of them to just move on and focus on their own IP. They're owned by Microsoft now, though, which might alter the equation.

Fallout 4 came out eight years ago in 2015. Now they're working on Elder Scrolls 6 (except they're probably not because it seems like they're realizing they'll have to CP2077 Starfield for a few years now) and that was supposed to come out in "2026 at the earliest" which realistically means what, 2028? Maybe even 2030! Yeesh! And then it's probably another five years until we get Fallout 5. That's 15 to 20 years between main line Fallout titles. I can't imagine Microsoft paid all that cash for the Fallout franchise only to sit on it for another decade. Heck, it's getting a big budget TV show soon without a recent game to offer anyone who'll be interested.

At this point, I don't really care who makes the next Fallout RPG. Current BGS clearly doesn't have the manpower to work on Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles at the same time and back when they were independent they seemingly didn't want to either, but the development cycle is getting out of hand for them. If Microsoft steps in and helps them create another in-house studio, I'm fine with this. If they ask Obsidian and/or Inxile (I don't think Inxile can handle a AAA Fallout game, but I think reskinned Wasteland 3 would make a decent Fallout Tactics game to tide the fans over) I'd also be happy. If they ask, uh, Blizzard or Ninja Theory or 343 Industries, I'm cool with it - just make a Fallout RPG please, someone, anyone.

I do think something is going to change, especially after Starfield and Redfall.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
call me cynical i think the change is that the elder scrolls 6 will be even more incomplete and ai-generated than even starfield, and arkane doesnt get to make their own games anymore

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I don’t think bgs ever really got fallout. I’d be happy to see anyone else give it a go at this point.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
amazon will make a fallout starring walton goggins but it's a prequel before the war and you have to fill out forms in vr

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Al! posted:

call me cynical i think the change is that the elder scrolls 6 will be even more incomplete and ai-generated than even starfield, and arkane doesnt get to make their own games anymore

It's been fifty six years since Skyrim they'd better nail that thing lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Inspector Hound posted:

It's been fifty six years since Skyrim they'd better nail that thing lol

They're never making anything as special as Skyrim again. Right time, right place and all that. ESO has become the true torchbearer imo.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Why would TES6 be even more incomplete than starfield? The handcrafted parts of starfield are fine and I don't think bethesda is gonna use their cutting edge tech to create daedric realms for folks to explore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Unlike what Bethesda has done in the last ten years, Pentiment is straight proof that Obsidian still has it.

quote:

or to ensure TESVI doesn't poo poo the bed.
:pray:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

Why would TES6 be even more incomplete than starfield? The handcrafted parts of starfield are fine and I don't think bethesda is gonna use their cutting edge tech to create daedric realms for folks to explore.

the handcrafted parts of starfield were not fine

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Sure they were, mostly classic BGS, though they screwed up more story beats than usual. But asset-wise etc. and the shooting was entertaining (ie. good).

They just didn't understand that quantity isn't a quality all its own in exploration.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

ImpAtom posted:

That's nice. I liked Outer Worlds.

(i never knew about OW's pre-release hype or promises, so there was no disappointment for me on those grounds)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Wipfmetz posted:

(i never knew about OW's pre-release hype or promises, so there was no disappointment for me on those grounds)

Most of the hype was from people who loved New Vegas expecting the second coming of New Vegas. Instead it was just... fine, which meant it disappointed a lot of those people. That's where most of its bad rep comes from as far as I can tell. AFAIK Obsidian didn't over-promise or bullshit people, at least not more than video game marketing always does.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
OW was a little dull at times, and the corporate satire didn't really work for me, but it was fun to play.

Folks probably expected New Vegas 2.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fool me ten times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

It's not like Starfield was foisted upon them and they only worked on it begrudgingly. I have no reason to think they'll treat TES6 differently, and can only hope they've learned whatever lesson they needed to.