Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

Also I think Reba benefitted a lot from the fact that Bruce seemed to really worry everyone that he was going to keep winning challenges while holding an idol in his pocket. Basically at the time when Reba really needed to take a hit, all eyes were on a challenge beast that had also seemingly planted himself as a central social player despite most of the players being put off by him.

I get he was annoying, but in hindsight it seems insane to devote that much time and energy to getting rid of a guy nobody liked or wanted to work with. It's crazy how much fallout there was from that when you think about it: he would have given an alliance the numbers and resources needed to break up Reba early, Emily engineering the blindside and then bragging about it knocked her out (the fake plan of getting rid of Julie was so much better!), if Katurah hadn't spilled the beans about his dumb rear end idol lie he might have been able to luck into getting a Reba member out, and if he hung around he was good enough at challenges to potentially siphon some % of the run of Reba immunities away from them. He was like a secret fifth member of the Reba alliance distracting everyone all along lol.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

so are dee and austin ("still"?) together?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Great season, great winner

Seconded. Well, maybe just a "good" season, but that's splitting hairs.

I feel bad for Jake getting zero votes but it validates my tier rankings so it's good :v: I'm really glad he at least got his moment of winning the fire challenge.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

CJacobs posted:

What are you folks' favorite seasons for the gameplay? Just curious to hear yours, I'm laid up with covid and P+ and would love the recs of long time watchers.

"Gameplay" can mean a lot of things but if you want season recs, look at China, Pearl Islands, Marquesas, San Juan Del Sur, or even Panama.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 21, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

so are dee and austin ("still"?) together?

Interviews coming out say that they 'don't really want to say anything'.

Sounds like they've visited each other a few times, but it also makes sense that there's a distance gap and Austin is stuck in grad school so not like he's in a position to be moving.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I enjoyed the season a ton, 90 minute episodes are amazing, I enjoyed watching a cast that genuinely really seemed to like/love each other. My biggest issue with the season was how much they ramped up Talking About Survivor from the rest of the new era seasons that already did it way too much.

I also wonder how the uber-focus on relationships will mesh with the rest of the Survivor alumni, though. The group of former players already seems weirdly insular (and I get it - social media is horribly toxic and Survivor fucks you up physically, mentally, emotionally, and the only way to truly understand it is to experience it) and having a new group of 18 people who seem incredibly over-the-top about Survivor could be really odd to integrate. New era Survivor is weird for a lot of ways, but the cast never shutting up about how meta it is that they're on Survivor is wholly uninteresting to me. I found Jake particularly annoying for that, especially during the finale - I don't fault him for spending pretty much the entire episode melting down, but it made for really uncomfortable TV.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

s40 is up there of course but if you're trying to stay spoiler free for other seasons save it for last

I really liked the s23 (south pacific) winner but I may be misremembering if it was because of incredible gameplay or other factors

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CJacobs posted:

What are you folks' favorite seasons for the gameplay? Just curious to hear yours, I'm laid up with covid and P+ and would love the recs of long time watchers.

Much agreed if we're talking new era. I love the 90 minute episodes and am ok if they drop Buddy Games to make room for it, even though I found that show charming af

Are you coming in from having seen like...no seasons? Pearl Islands is a killer spot to drop in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was always on in the living room when I was growing up but yup this is the first season I've watched in 15+ years (with my family c:). It was a blast, the show has aged remarkably well.

I will definitely take your recs, thanks folks. Excited to hear "Survivors ready!" so many more times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
im not reading thread bout 30 mins in.

i feel like Jake should not have told austin he had an idol wtf

edit: lmao even austin had the same reaction.

edit2: If Jake was a 5head brain genius I could see him telling Austin as part of a ploy to get to play the idol on someone else as a trick but i don't see it here since he didn't get enough info from austin/dee alliance to know what's up.

lmao worried about Julie, guess things look different with your feet in the sand

edit3: oh, okay julie gone... because katurah was noided... or something? wtf, katurah hand the game to dee. gently caress this, not avoiding spoilers now because Dee wins, obviously, right?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 21, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

The overall season was fun It kinda felt like the people playing the game the most didn't make it to the last couple episodes, unless you count Jake failing at a plan basically every episode. However it's not like Dee just lucked herself into a win and deserved it the most out of the final three

dee was the best player of the season in basically every respect and completely deserved to win if she made it to final 3 but she should not have made it because there was a rock solid plan to get rid of her at 5 which she had absolutely zero knowledge of. It was her big mistake of the season and should have been her downfall, but it just kinda wasn't because everyone except her kept stepping on rakes every time they tried to do anything. To her credit many of those rakes were placed there by her, but the last one absolutely wasn't and was fully self-inflicted. Her survival at 5 required: Jake to tell Austin about the idol when he could have just kept his mouth shut, played it on himself and gotten rid of Dee with no possible opposition. Austin to tell Dee about this instead of just flipping on her to get rid of his biggest jury threat(understandable since Dee had basically hypnotized him by this point, but still). And Katurah to blow up her own plan, on purpose, for no apparent reason.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Much agreed if we're talking new era. I love the 90 minute episodes and am ok if they drop Buddy Games to make room for it, even though I found that show charming af

Pearl Islands, Sandra's mission to destroy the empire that burton and fairplay built

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

s40 is up there of course but if you're trying to stay spoiler free for other seasons save it for last

I really liked the s23 (south pacific) winner but I may be misremembering if it was because of incredible gameplay or other factors
sophie's wrangling of coach and albert and trying to not let them do something stupid like let ozzie win was high comedy along with her being punished for winning a reward challenge by being subjected to Jack and Jill redeem everything about that season

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STONE COLD 64 posted:

sophie's wrangling of coach and albert and trying to not let them do something stupid like let ozzie win was high comedy along with her being punished for winning a reward challenge by being subjected to Jack and Jill redeem everything about that season

that reward and her reaction to it is something I think about pretty much every season when people make fun of rewards and it's why she's goated for me

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Katurah's move last night of "I just didn't trust Jake" feels like the dumbest reason. I know there's got to be something there more to it than that, because he was baffled by it, after she had him swear on everything he'd vote Dee.

Dee deserves the win, if anyone was half competent they'd have gotten rid of Dee and Austin, just such a weird "blind faith" going along with the ride, and Julie being this "she's just so well liked" reasoning for the whole group.

I do feel bad for a lot of people this season on their poor decision making.

Dee overall played a perfect game with no mistakes on her part really.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Diabetic posted:

Katurah's move last night of "I just didn't trust Jake" feels like the dumbest reason. I know there's got to be something there more to it than that, because he was baffled by it, after she had him swear on everything he'd vote Dee.

She even said in the confessional, well if he told me he was going to play his idol on me and I could believe him....

It was just a very bad call on her part.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Diabetic posted:

Pretty sure she more or less covered it. She was more confident a stray vote was going to go on Julie verses Dee. And her vote on Julie would be more likely to have a tie vote vs maybe only having her vote on Dee and getting voted out.

It's not the most logical, but not actually trusting Jake is believable since Belo was never able to work together on anything the whole season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jake: I can't believe you made me swear on my nana. How could you?

Dee: I'll swear on anyone. I'll even swear on your mother if I had to. And you'll still give me the million!

Just funny that they have two very different takes on it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Tony swore on like a million things like his kids his first season if I recall correctly and it's amazing people would take these kinds of oaths seriously in any season after that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
(This was after that episode where Dee did it.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:lol::lol::lol:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah I think her mom will be happy with the retirement

Swear on THIS, bitch

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

We've come a long way from Africa and Vanuatu

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My favourite was Tony in Cagayan swearing on his badge to another cop and going "listen, you're a cop. You know how important this is...you know what this means." and then it cuts to a confessional later where he's like "yeah I'll swear on anything I don't give a poo poo."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll swear on Nana's life but I won't tell you about my idol even though I told everyone else for no reason

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Khanstant posted:

I'll swear on Nana's life but I won't tell you about my idol even though I told everyone else for no reason

But he did tell her. He showed her. He allowed her to examine it. That was the beginning of that entire conversation.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah the only person we were told thought the idol wasn't real was Julie, for whatever reason

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If jake told katurah he was gonna idol her she would have run to dee with that in milliseconds

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

If jake told katurah he was gonna idol her she would have run to dee with that in milliseconds

Yep, Jake had no real way of doing the move that he did if anyone else had known about his plan.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

He also has a point that he needed a big reaction from her to build his resume. If she's 100% on board and she makes it to the finals with him, it diminishes the impact the play has.

She seems like a cool person, but I think in a series filled with pretty misguided plays, Katurah definitely had the most and worst.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I wasn't a fan of this season at all, and Dee was a predictable and boring winner. There wasn't anything entertaining about watching her play the game. Overall, I don't think it was a very strong cast aside from a couple standouts like Emily who is a shoe in to return in the future. Once she was gone, I didn't really have anyone else to root for this season, I didn't care who made it to the end anymore.

I agree that the 90 minute episodes did wonders for storytelling, it's just that there wasn't that much story to tell this season. Nobody was really willing to make any big moves, and it was frustrating to watch as the underdogs would try and get people together to shake up the top, and everybody just seemed content with their place in the pecking order, fighting over 5th place rather than aiming for 1st.

I'm tired of the new era, and they need to do something to spice it up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

But he did tell her. He showed her. He allowed her to examine it. That was the beginning of that entire conversation.

Ah my bad, conversation with a friend mentioned her being the only one who didn't know it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

and everybody just seemed content with their place in the pecking order, fighting over 5th place rather than aiming for 1st.

I'm tired of the new era, and they need to do something to spice it up
One of the greatest problems with survivor that hasnt been tackled by production.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe they should bring the coconut chop "pecking order revealed lol" challenge back.

I mean that would probably be meta-gamed away eventually too but still.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can see why Katurah might be hesitant to trust Jake given that he’s a nervous, big mouthed wreck all the time. The issue was that there was no better option for her. Dee clearly wanted her gone. It wasn’t really a secret.

She just poo poo her pants in a panic.

And Jake being a prosecutor is a good thing because he can’t win poo poo.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Schoolyard pick tribal councils

Person with necklace picks someone who is now immune who picks someone who is now immune, until there is one person left, who goes home.

Better make sure you’re not on bottom next time.

Would be like real survivor where you eat the most annoying people first

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

ApplesandOranges posted:

loving incredible

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Friendship ended with Mat Chat

Social Media Presence is my new winner prediction best friend

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Truther Vandross posted:

And Jake being a prosecutor is a good thing because he can’t win poo poo.

Jake's plans all failed because his day job is to sound smart while doing a job entirely rigged for him to succeed basically by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
There's also this, which is, uh, odd