Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m really baffled by how incompetently he has handled things in Atlanta tbh. His usage of personnel and inventive scheming was really remarkable in Tennessee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’m really baffled by how incompetently he has handled things in Atlanta tbh. His usage of personnel and inventive scheming was really remarkable in Tennessee.

Mike Vrabel is a smart guy, there is no way he would let some dipshit OC not use Henry or AJ Brown.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If anything Henry's usage got way better under Arthur. In prior seasons they kept loving around splitting work with late career Dion Lewis or DeMarco Murray instead of just feeding Henry 300+ carries as you obviously should if you so much as look at a photo of the man

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I havent thought about Demarco Murray in years.

Dude was a football god for like 15 weeks and then promptly turned into a pumpkin.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol when chip Kelly kicked out LeSean Mccoy to bring in Demarco murray...

Pederson should have been made coach for life gently caress you lurie. He dragged this franchise from chip Kelly's wild ride to our first super bowl and you had the audacity to power struggle with him over Wentz vs. Hurts (tbf everyone looks like a huge loser in this thanks to hindsight)

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1737891280313528741?t=4GaacjlCKTty4o2xr5SyDQ&s=19

Get paid my man

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah he deserves it. He's going to be the biggest head coaching commodity this offseason.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Ford family can pay him that to stay as OC

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

“Some owners”

Love the idea that the price varies depending which clown show is asking.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Bumhead posted:

“Some owners”

Love the idea that the price varies depending which clown show is asking.

Carolina - 1 billion dollars

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

Carolina - 1 billion dollars

Bring him home, Tepper.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Take 'em to the fuckin' cleaners, Ben.

And hey, if nobody wants to pay it, I'm sure Sheila would be all too happy to give him another raise.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I want to see more head coaching prospects absolutely bend over the owners at every possible opportunity.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Oh everyone is mad and the bad press won't go away. Alright give me a gently caress ton of money and I'll at least make the preseason to early October easier on you.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

I want to see more head coaching prospects absolutely bend over the owners at every possible opportunity.

Pretty much. If teams are going to keep sucking no matter who's there, take advantage of whatever leverage they have on your way there. Same reason I was for Caleb Williams either staying in school or tanking games outright when it looked like Chicago was easily getting the first overall again

If they're gonna be hard on you when you get there, make it hard on them to get you

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah you'd have to be a complete donkey not to give Tepper like double the asking price you believe you can get anywhere else lol. That job could very easily be a death trap if Bryce doesn't improve

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Does this mean he’ll take a Herbie discount for Spanos? (lol no tho still cheaper than carolina prolly)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
i want jimmy harbs really freakin bad guys

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

get the lions oc for 150k cheaper

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

a neat cape posted:

i want jimmy harbs really freakin bad guys

He would honestly be amazing for the chargers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He would honestly be amazing for the chargers

I know it sounds dumb and cliche to say that we need someone who can change the culture around the team (every team who needs a HC says this), but I'm kinda on board with the cliche this time. Hiring X's and O's guys hasn't been working, and that's what worries me about Ben Johnson. I have no doubt he can design a good offense, I'm worried about him being a leader/ceo type of personality.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
He’s my current first choice too. They need another Marty type

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
If Pierce doesn't get the job, I'd like to get Harbaugh just so San Diego doesn't get him.

Also, I know NFL coaches are psychopaths but I'd totally be okay with a guaranteed poo poo show of an experience as a HC considering you're probably getting a 4 year guaranteed deal worth anywhere from 30-50 million dollars overall which is enough money to retire and live an amazing life.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Raiders deffo need another big personality hire, it's been going so well already, lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The337th posted:

Raiders deffo need another big personality hire, it's been going so well already, lol

The Raiders need to hire a good coach, personality should be a very distant secondary concern.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The raiders should keep Antonio Pierce

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I would absolutely pay that price for Ben Johnson if I was the Bears ownership, but, lmao, hahah. They won't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ben Johnson is a really smart guy who is great at calling plays but it's a complete coin flip if he's going to be a good head coach or not.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 21, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Ben Johnson's agent is saying that's not true, fwiw

https://twitter.com/Richmond__3/status/1737913093056004451

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

Ben Johnson's agent is saying that's not true, fwiw

Probably just the price he's quoting Tepper.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ayudo posted:

Tepper leaked it because he’s salty, “we have a #1 pick qb!!”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ayudo posted:

Tepper needs a coach with clout, not a first timer.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I am also available to head coach for 15 million a year just in case some team is interested

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

I know it sounds dumb and cliche to say that we need someone who can change the culture around the team (every team who needs a HC says this), but I'm kinda on board with the cliche this time. Hiring X's and O's guys hasn't been working, and that's what worries me about Ben Johnson. I have no doubt he can design a good offense, I'm worried about him being a leader/ceo type of personality.

This is a lot of what I’ve been thinking too. Anthony Lynn was the closest to an actual culture shift the team had, but he was a terrible schematic guy and had no feel for the game as a playcaller. Harbs is my first choice too but I just don’t see it happening because John Spanos is too conservative in who he will choose (yeah, despite the fact he gave a shot to three guys who weren’t proven head coaches before).

I’m afraid that he’s going to go either full insanity with going for Bellichick or another safe hire like Dan Quinn. I don’t know if there’s any real in-between with him at this point. I’d be genuinely surprised and happy if he did go for Harbaugh, though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

Maybe they can hire Frank Reich then.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

mcmagic posted:

Tepper tried that with Reich. Veteran coach who was really well regarded. Obviously in hindsight it doesn't feel that way, but Colts players were super upset when he was fired. Players loved him.

Of course, Tepper also tried the college coach route before too. So maybe the move would be to just hire a top OC.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Chris James 2 posted:

Pretty much. If teams are going to keep sucking no matter who's there, take advantage of whatever leverage they have on your way there. Same reason I was for Caleb Williams either staying in school or tanking games outright when it looked like Chicago was easily getting the first overall again

If they're gonna be hard on you when you get there, make it hard on them to get you

the problem is that being a hot commodity head coach is something that can disappear very quickly. ben johnson is all the rage right now but it only takes one off year if he remains in Detroit for his desirability to plummet. plenty of recent examples on this like Kellen Moore

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

epic bacon posted:

the problem is that being a hot commodity head coach is something that can disappear very quickly. ben johnson is all the rage right now but it only takes one off year if he remains in Detroit for his desirability to plummet. plenty of recent examples on this like Kellen Moore

Yeah, Byron Leftwich went from getting all the interviews to fired pretty quick. Best bet for a first time candidate is probably to take the first job you can because a second offer might not be coming. Even if it's a mess, you get to put former head coach on your resume which seems much more useful to getting another opportunity than an extra year or two as coordinator.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

epic bacon posted:

You’re not wrong about the fickleness of perception… but, using your example, I’d still gamble on Kellen Moore over like half the current head coaches and basically every retread head coach candidate except Harbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

A truly great coach will destroy his pedigree and rebuild it in the same season. Let's go Payton!!!