Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My policy is that I'm here to help out, so a certain level of small talk and consideration is needed to do that, but I'm not being paid to be your friend or your underlining. Nor do I want to; if I really wanted to be your buddy you wouldn't have to pay me to talk to you.

If they're so used to being treated as big special boys they're probably too loving coddled to do anything useful. But then again what does a executive actually do for anyone but themself? :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Seeing someone’s value requires being aware of what they do and having a vague understanding of how what they do impacts the business. Which would require effort or competence from management. Which, lol.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

tokin opposition posted:

Good uses for LLM:

- writing posts
- trying to get it to say something funny
- cover letter templates on demand

Bad uses for LLM:

-anything else

I'm going to train an LLM on the emails of someone I can't stand and see who wins the mirror match

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
My boss is pretty chill except when people are being mean to techs, so today I got to watch him verbally slap a dude around and it was pretty funny.

Guy I'm shadowing gets a call from a NOC contractor, and we're a support core for a company that's had a recent security breach so policies are being updated in response. I can barely hear the dude on my guy's headset but he sounds super pissy, tech mutes and explains he's asking for a password change, not a RESET, but a CHANGE. So he unmutes, and inquired and gives him a few options as to what he can do to reset his password after talking to our manager. Guy gets even pissier, says he wants his password CHANGED.

After some more questions, eventually we figure out that he wants us to change his password and give it to him. This guy has been working with our Org for 7 years. Our password policy has a 90 day limit before an SSO signon prompts you to change your password. He's been making techs *change his password for him and send him the changed password for this long. He gets even angrier when we assure him we cannot do that because of policy changes, dude blows his top, yells at the tech to get our manager.

Guy walks in, absolutely makes this dude look like a clownshow, firmly reminding him that "Yes the policy changes are a giant headache for us too, so deal with it." asks him if he can call him back at his desk, hangs up, laughs and as he's walking away goes "I'm gonna ping this dude's manager."

He sends us a message on teams a few minutes later going "Yeah he's calling me sir and saying he's sorry, now."

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

I just want to be the dude sitting in the corner sipping on whiskey, big scraggly beard, The Dude bath robe, no shoes, who in the middle of meetings sometimes does an inquisitive "huh" when things are getting too dumb. No explanation or anything. I just say "huh" and go back to my whiskey. And everyone scrambles to figure out what I mean because something must be wrong. Oh yeah, and I'm only known by my nickname. Just like some old Scotch oracle everyone calls "Steely Dan" or some poo poo. No email address, phone number, or Teams/Slack. No one knows what I do other than when I say "huh" everyone reevaluates what they're talking about in some architecture discussion.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

Pages back, but I’ll see your “huh” and raise you a “?”

I’ve been in the receiving end of one and it loving SUCKS

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Susat posted:

My boss is pretty chill except when people are being mean to techs, so today I got to watch him verbally slap a dude around and it was pretty funny.

I like your boss already :sun:

But a 90 day password change cycle? :yikes:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Susat posted:

Guy I'm shadowing gets a call from a NOC contractor, and we're a support core for a company that's had a recent security breach so policies are being updated in response. I can barely hear the dude on my guy's headset but he sounds super pissy, tech mutes and explains he's asking for a password change, not a RESET, but a CHANGE. So he unmutes, and inquired and gives him a few options as to what he can do to reset his password after talking to our manager. Guy gets even pissier, says he wants his password CHANGED.

After some more questions, eventually we figure out that he wants us to change his password and give it to him. This guy has been working with our Org for 7 years. Our password policy has a 90 day limit before an SSO signon prompts you to change your password. He's been making techs *change his password for him and send him the changed password for this long. He gets even angrier when we assure him we cannot do that because of policy changes, dude blows his top, yells at the tech to get our manager.

Guy walks in, absolutely makes this dude look like a clownshow, firmly reminding him that "Yes the policy changes are a giant headache for us too, so deal with it." asks him if he can call him back at his desk, hangs up, laughs and as he's walking away goes "I'm gonna ping this dude's manager."

He sends us a message on teams a few minutes later going "Yeah he's calling me sir and saying he's sorry, now."

This was my manager at the call center HD I worked at when I started IT, it made the job 1000x easier than what everyone else says MSPs are like.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Thanks Ants posted:

I get it, but also it's vital that you learn not to take on the stress of other people wasting money that isn't yours. You can't one-man-army a company into being competent, and you'll burn yourself out trying. Just make sure you CYA in every situation and let it wash over you while you remain intensely relaxed.

Related, I'm not sure how my the MSP I leave tomorrow will survive.

Owner has alienated everyone;

He tried to soft fire the Ops Manager and very likely will actually fire her. She has been made aware of his plans by the dispatcher.

He attempted to strong-arm me into staying on his terms by threatening my job.

The dispatcher is leaving for Orlando as soon as her man finds a house.

The lead guy sees the writing on the wall as the highest paid employee and is plotting his escape route

The new guy is part-time and doesn't want full-time work, certainly not for the poo poo show.

That leaves a personal assistant in Pakistan, the new accountant, and the owner himself.

Also, apparently, he wants to drop Connectwise on a dime with no actual planning for how that affects clients.

I'm glad I won't be there for it.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 21, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like your average MSP owner!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just wanted to post somewhere that I found a bug and am exploiting it to get an automated test done

a certain page is supposed to be viewable only by admins, but this was accomplished by just not showing the link to it if the user is not an admin. It still loads up just fine if you type in the URL. In my test, I need a non-admin user to do something on that page. So the test just types in the URL. Hey, it works

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So far today I have attended two meetings for about 15 minutes each, and I'm about to hop into an hour-long one wherein I will be walking my dog in the woods and just listening to the bullshit.

The only other real, actual work accomplished at all has been fixing a saml assertion in Okta for a third party developer. Straight up dgaf mode, I told my boss two days ago that I'm not working on my main project until after the 1st. Skate tomorrow and then I'm off until the 2nd.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Wibla posted:

I like your boss already :sun:

But a 90 day password change cycle? :yikes:

I’ve had two jobs with that policy and both times I end up incrementing my passwords by 1 each time

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’ve had two jobs with that policy and both times I end up incrementing my passwords by 1 each time

My job has this and the average employee is probably above 50 so I've watched some people take 10+ minutes to create a password that meets policy. They have also switched from allowing text MFA to forcing people to use the MS Authenticator app which has been fun to try to explain. People keep downloading the wrong app from the app store, or putting in personal emails instead of their work one even if they manage to download the correct app. We don't have a nice pdf of instructions with pictures to send them either, so I've been referring them to youtube instructionals which actually seems to help

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hunter3

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Hotel Kpro posted:

Hey this is actually me! We have a 90 days policy (that I am still pushing back against!) and I increment it by 1 each time.

Also no one ever remembers their password and everyone has post it notes. We are very safe!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It's all fun and games until the system checks to see if you're just incrementing/using similar passwords.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Almost everyone increments or changes one small thing. It and password reuse are like the main reasons it's no longer recommended to change regularly, let alone 90 days.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Current gig has a 30 day password cycle on AD account as well as the hpa. Both have mfa enabled as well, but that’s only required once a week or when changing device or network.

I’d rather have this then the 10 times a day mfa my previous gig had.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Which of you is at Cisco?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

my home internet went down and it's been really hard not being That Guy who goes "I know more than you" while my poor techs are having me reboot my modem.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

my home internet went down and it's been really hard not being That Guy who goes "I know more than you" while my poor techs are having me reboot my modem.

Is the light off? Then technically they know more that you

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Is the light off? Then technically they know more that you

its flashing blue, which due to my years of experience tells me that all ISP support sucks rear end

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I have a 90 day password cycle but it has a limit of 4 before it lets you reuse old passwords.

I have a password associated with each season now like Japanese Haiku

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's all fun and games until the system checks to see if you're just incrementing/using similar passwords.

Wouldn't that require that the password is stored unencrypted somewhere? I mean it has to check against something that is not encrypted for that.

Also I am too in the +1 crew.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I have a 90 day password cycle but it has a limit of 4 before it lets you reuse old passwords.

I have a password associated with each season now like Japanese Haiku

It's not inodes
There's no way it's inodes
It was inodes.

Still missing two.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happy Litterbox posted:

Wouldn't that require that the password is stored unencrypted somewhere? I mean it has to check against something that is not encrypted for that.

That check is usually done at the password change screen where you are inputting your passwords unencrypted.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

jaegerx posted:

Which of you is at Cisco?

Don’t work there but if you work at Isovalent take the money and enjoy yourself until Cisco irreversibly fucks the product up and abandons it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Wait, don't tell me that AD keeps passwords in plaintext? Any sane crypto hashing algorithm is going to cause "goatsefan16" to hash to something really different from "goatsefan17".

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

That check is usually done at the password change screen where you are inputting your passwords unencrypted.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

gently caress, now I have to change my password!

gently caress

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sure, but how do they know what my previous ones were unhashed? It's easy to check for identical, hard to check for similar.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the other common one where you can't repeat n previous passwords is done by storing the old password hashes for those n passwords

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Sure, but how do they know what my previous ones were unhashed? It's easy to check for identical, hard to check for similar.

it only checks for similarity between your last password and your current one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ah, forgot that you input them both to change. Smarter process than I am.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Don’t work there but if you work at Isovalent take the money and enjoy yourself until Cisco irreversibly fucks the product up and abandons it

:yotj:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

thalweg posted:

My job has this and the average employee is probably above 50 so I've watched some people take 10+ minutes to create a password that meets policy

Use it as an opportunity to teach them about correct Horse battery staple! Pick three words and add some punctuation, bada boom policy is met

The add a 1 when it expires duh

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

CloFan posted:

Use it as an opportunity to teach them about correct Horse battery staple! Pick three words and add some punctuation, bada boom policy is met

The add a 1 when it expires duh

what i find funny about that comic (the only funny thing about it even) is that "correcthorsebatterystaple" has become a default password the same way "password" did.

it's a good idea don't get me wrong, but it's funny that it's somehow made cybersecurity worse because humans are dummies, unlike my password "lovethecloud&OSImodelalldayeveryday1"

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I just use lyrics from the same song :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Had my 2nd interview with a local MSP for a senior engineer position today and rocked it. Just have a technical one left but it's not for another two weeks. Really want to get back to work already. I wore a suit jacket to an interview for the first time and think it helped a bit with my confidence. Pay is between $70-100k which seems pretty good and it'd be awesome to finally add senior to my resume. Hoping this year can turn around for me.