Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I typically never feel like I want to turn off the show, even when other people are talking about how cringe it is or whatever. The chiropractor scene made me feel like I wanted to turn off the show. Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Peanut Butler posted:

I presumed they mentioned the brand due to product placement

I feel like there’s almost 0% chance this is true. Product placement is supposed to show products in a positive light and make them attractive for purchase. This entire scene was tense and uncomfortable and there’s no way anyone watches it and comes out thinking “hmm, I should check out Alienware computers!”

I think it was just a bit of character flavor. The dude watches Seinfeld, likes Alienware, and makes stir fry. We get to know a little bit about him through a short interaction.

Then again here we are talking about it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Harriet Carker posted:

I feel like there’s almost 0% chance this is true. Product placement is supposed to show products in a positive light and make them attractive for purchase. This entire scene was tense and uncomfortable and there’s no way anyone watches it and comes out thinking “hmm, I should check out Alienware computers!”

I think it was just a bit of character flavor. The dude watches Seinfeld, likes Alienware, and makes stir fry. We get to know a little bit about him through a short interaction.

Then again here we are talking about it.

Also liking Seinfeld, getting a new stove just for your stir fry, and being able to afford an alienware computer is pretty good shorthand for "gentrifer".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Harriet Carker posted:

Whitney straight up says that though. If a hot woman claims that she would want to check out an alienware computer, would you not want to check out an alienware computer?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol no.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I doubt any brand is paying to be associated with this show

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

i’m probably more likely to buy greensheen, goof-off goo-gone, gorilla glue, through the roof! or o’keeffe’s after their eye-catching displays in the hardware store last episode

panko fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 19, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alienware rep: Allright, so what we were thinking is you guys could do a scene where a fat slob buys our product, but then it's stolen off the porch and we refuse to refund him for it. Maybe to spice it up you could have Emma Stone say she's interested in our product, while clearly having no actual interest in it whatsoever. We think that'd be great for our brand.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

veni veni veni posted:

Alienware rep: Allright, so what we were thinking is you guys could do a scene where a fat slob buys our product, but then it's stolen off the porch and we refuse to refund him for it. Maybe to spice it up you could have Emma Stone say she's interested in our product, while clearly having no actual interest in it whatsoever. We think that'd be great for our brand.

Sounds like David Zaslav just got made CEO of Alienware!

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

cant cook creole bream posted:

Whitney straight up says that though. If a hot woman claims that she would want to check out an alienware computer, would you not want to check out an alienware computer?

If that guy had had a package of custom mail-order hentai stolen instead of the computer, she'd have still told him it sounds pretty cool because she was trying to charm him to stop causing a fuss in the neighborhood.

If advertisers paid to buzz market some 40 year olds on an obscure forum into discussing how their computers are overpriced and tacky, keep up the good work ad wizards.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mmmm... toasty.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

beepo posted:

If that guy had had a package of custom mail-order hentai stolen instead of the computer, she'd have still told him it sounds pretty cool because she was trying to charm him to stop causing a fuss in the neighborhood.

If advertisers paid to buzz market some 40 year olds on an obscure forum into discussing how their computers are overpriced and tacky, keep up the good work ad wizards.

Guy: Yeah, it was a box of hentai.

Whitney ::nodding sagely:: Oh, wow. I didn't know you could mail order sushi. Do they freeze dry it, or....?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whitney complaining Asher can't put down the loving phone when he's showing the hentai off to potential homeowners.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

advertising isn't always as straightforward as saying 'our product is good' you ding dongs

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

1glitch0 posted:

Guy: Yeah, it was a box of hentai.

Whitney ::nodding sagely:: Oh, wow. I didn't know you could mail order sushi. Do they freeze dry it, or....?

"Do you make it with rice?"
Man, Whitney sucks so much. This show is great!

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Many businesses engage in ill-advised advertising campaigns, yes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
SNL has ad skits that do nothing positive with the product besides mentioning it a bunch in the bit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

SNL has ad skits that do nothing positive with the product besides mentioning it a bunch in the bit.

I've always wondered if Totino's paid for these or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kpVO56OBU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think the official line is they didn't but considering they sponsored like comedy podcast and youtube stuff i always had my doubts

e: checking, those sponsored episodes happen in the same time period too

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 19, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Khanstant posted:

I don't know if the companies pay for a lot of those. I remember Safelite was rather pissy about it when SNL did a very funny parody of their commercials.

Dan Harmon talked at length about how adversarial the relationship is with paid sponsorship when it came to Subway and others. His perspective was that companies had to calm the gently caress down and understand that no one is trying to screw them over, but that jokes have to be made or or no one will like the sponsorship in the first place. Even just being allowed to show Apple products was a struggle because of their weirdness about it.

I'd bet that if alienware had been involved that line about no refunds for having a package stolen off the porch wouldn't have made the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know how much they paid for em in SNL and I doubt every single specific company or product mention is sponsored but they definitely do have them from time to time. Sometimes they go nuts with em and it's fun. Does seem like it ebbs and flows which companies marketing departments want to get loosely goosey and goofy, Old spice tangentially had Tim and Eric involved with some of their campaigns, but other times and other companies want way more control and preciousness about their products.

Apple doesn't even like its users doing things they wouldn't put in an ad on their technology so I'm not surprised they're a nightmare when it comes to promotional inclusions.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tim and Eric have done a ton of commercials, probably more than most people realize. A few years ago during the pandemic they did a fundraising thing where they showed off all their ads with commentary. Off the top of my head they did stuff for Old Spice, Totino's, Purple Mattresses, and a number of ads for one of the Saint's Row games (which they didn't even play) including a full live action episode of the Professor Genki game show. There are others I'm forgetting, and I think Eric has also done a few on his own without Tim's involvement (he also was just in some pizza commercial, though not sure if he did more than just act in it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lPX5b9m7ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyn6g6JFkIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGyKFJFk1ow

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
There are lots of offbeat marketing campaigns that are used to associate brands with a subculture, trend, or whatever as well as campaigns to win credibilty as being a brand that is fun, and not focus grouped to death.

Can you believe Alamo Rent-A-Car had Sir Mixalot rap battle a hologram of Bill Cosby?!? I didn't know they had it in them.

I just don't see how The Curse's inclusion of Alienware makes it seem appealing, even in a subversive way. Some dork had a bad experience with purchasing their product, and that's about it.

If this was some marketing campaign, it has been a tremendous failure as from what I can see, I could find one tweet about The Curse and Alienware, and the TheCurse subreddit has one post mentioning it. This threads discussion has put more time and energy into this question than the actual production staff ever did.

beepo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 20, 2023

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

Also, Emma Stone's best performance of her career easily, and absolutely the best of the year.

You should see Poor Things

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've been rewatching Nathan For You and good god does it still hold up. He has such a great eye for showing things the most awkward, horrible way ever.

Though I did cringe a bit too much on the "fat people riding horses" episode.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

finding frances is the best last episode of a television show, possibly ever

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I would rank things as:
Finding Frances > The Rehearsal > How To > NFY > The Curse

The Curse may change my mind by the end of the season but for now it's at the bottom.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The tightrope walk episode of Nathan 4 You, where they have the shlubby guys grandparents kept in the hotel room, has one of the funniest moments. If you don't fall over laughing at the grandparents reaction when the hotel employee tells them that the shooter has been killed, you have something wrong with you.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

wa27 posted:

I would rank things as:
Finding Frances > The Rehearsal > How To > NFY > The Curse

The Curse may change my mind by the end of the season but for now it's at the bottom.

it’s silly to rank finding frances separate from the rest of nathan for you because finding frances is a coda for the entire show. finding frances without context for who nathan is, who bill is, or even without having seen the I love you scene from smokers allowed, hits nowhere near as poignantly

it’s also silly to rank the curse alongside those shows because it’s not purporting to be a docu-reality show at all

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I think Nathan For You is his best and will probably always be his best work. It's top 10 all time for me.

I liked The Rehearsal when I was watching it but I can't remember much about it now, it didn't really stick with me like Nathan For You does. None of his other work I've seen has had the focus of Nathan For You either. The Rehersal was trying to find a point for a lot of it and I cant fully judge The Curse yet but it is a bit all over the place with introducing plot points.

Edit: How to is How to with John Wilson? I haven't seen that but didn't know Nathan was involved with it either.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 20, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How To is wonderful. Nathan is absolutely involved

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gurragadon posted:

I think Nathan For You is his best and will probably always be his best work. It's top 10 all time for me.

I liked The Rehearsal when I was watching it but I can't remember much about it now, it didn't really stick with me like Nathan For You does. None of his other work I've seen has had the focus of Nathan For You either. The Rehersal was trying to find a point for a lot of it and I cant fully judge The Curse yet but it is a bit all over the place with introducing plot points.

Edit: How to is How to with John Wilson? I haven't seen that but didn't know Nathan was involved with it either.

How To is excellent, but it is very different. I wouldn't say you're guaranteed to like it if you like Nathan for You.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Cool I kept seeing ads for it on HBO max but didn't give it much of a look. I'll try it out and see how I like it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really love How To. The pilot is a bit weak but it does have a surprise Kyle Maclachlan in it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How To is one of my favorite shows of the past 5 years or so. There is nothing like it.

Also the pilot episode is great. John being yelled at by MTV spring break security because he's looking distressed in every shot is one of the funniest moments on the whole series.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 20, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

panko posted:

it’s silly to rank finding frances separate from the rest of nathan for you because finding frances is a coda for the entire show. finding frances without context for who nathan is, who bill is, or even without having seen the I love you scene from smokers allowed, hits nowhere near as poignantly

That's fair. I just wanted to highlight that Finding Frances is my favorite thing he's ever done despite Nathan for You being lower on my list.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like everything he does but Nathan for you is my favorite just by virtue of it being the funniest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Same, his other shows are fascinating but NFY is just fun in a more rewatchable way.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

How To is excellent, but it is very different. I wouldn't say you're guaranteed to like it if you like Nathan for You.

Really? I think it's nearly a slam dunk *if* the part you liked the most about NfY is the exploration of bizarre and interesting people. It's not always as funny, but I think it hits the exact same spot for me.

I am so sad How To is ending. It's definitely a gem and I think any Nathan Fielder fans should at least try a few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Watching Finding Frances and man, eerily prophetic when they're watching Donald Trump on TV

"I think he's gonna win" - Bill

"Why do you think that? He's losing in the polls" - Nathan

"Can't trust the polls" - Bill