Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

There's a slapstickery to some of the violence that's not like the OT, like Rey just whacking Finn in the head with a metal pole.

Also, nerdy quibble: Didn't Chewie shoot people in the OT? I don't remember his bowcaster being like a grenade launcher. If the recoil's the same as any other gun, why doesn't everybody use one?

He uses it like twice ever in the OT, and one time at a fairly long distance. He probably kills more stormtroopers by tossing them or shooting them with a stormtrooper blaster rifle in ESB.

E: in fact the two only look similar, nothing says it was the same original bowcaster.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Probably wasn't the original golden dice (that han loved so much!) either

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Blood Boils posted:

Probably wasn't the original golden dice (that han loved so much!) either

Explicitly fake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think I figured out why I haven’t clicked with the live action Filoni stuff. They’re missing all the fun little freaks like the frog general guy and Truman Capote Hutt.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I guarantee all of them were George Lucas ideas. Truman Capote Hutt loving ruled.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think I figured out why I haven’t clicked with the live action Filoni stuff. They’re missing all the fun little freaks like the frog general guy and Truman Capote Hutt.

Andor has like no little freaks and it’s worse for it. The other shows have a couple but they’re just not the same.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I had assumed the lack of little freaks is to avoid the complexity and unfamiliarity of directing puppets, which is a highly specialized skill. A regrettable but understandable compromise.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

well why not posted:

Andor has like no little freaks and it’s worse for it. The other shows have a couple but they’re just not the same.

andor has syril?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well why not posted:

Ashoka has an entire cast of creepy eyed freaks and it stinks so idk

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

well why not posted:

Does the menacing shark muscle guy count?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

More of a small freak but close enough

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The more puppets in a Star War the better, it’s not always a direct relation but it dang well helps

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ferrix has a ton of aliens (including some little freaks) but they are almost all in the background.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

well why not posted:

The more puppets in a Star War the better, it’s not always a direct relation but it dang well helps

ESB vs ROTJ almost directly disproves this lol

But then again part of the reason I couldn't get into Andor's first couple episodes is that it basically just felt like it could be a few episodes of <dystopian sci fi franchise> with a couple Star Wars names thrown into the mix with nary a cool alien guy in sight, so maybe it does matter a little bit

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Wolfsheim posted:

ESB vs ROTJ almost directly disproves this lol

But then again part of the reason I couldn't get into Andor's first couple episodes is that it basically just felt like it could be a few episodes of <dystopian sci fi franchise> with a couple Star Wars names thrown into the mix with nary a cool alien guy in sight, so maybe it does matter a little bit

Welcome to the worst take ITT

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Wait until you hear my opinion of Rogue One (it sucks)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda surprising given the weird little freak has by far been the best received thing about Disney's Star Wars.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda surprising given the weird little freak has by far been the best received thing about Disney's Star Wars.

like with real babies (I kid, I kid) he stopped being so well received once he started moving around

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

like with real babies (I kid, I kid) he stopped being so well received once he started moving around

I dunno Baby Yoda apparel is still inescapable in my day to day. Like his popularity is pretty divorced from the actual Mandalorian show at this point but that's kind of the purest sign of a good mascot.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

mycot posted:

I dunno Baby Yoda apparel is still inescapable in my day to day. Like his popularity is pretty divorced from the actual Mandalorian show at this point but that's kind of the purest sign of a good mascot.

My kids and their friends know what baby Yoda is but afaik none of them watched that show

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Baby Yoda, who everybody loves, is simply a distinct character from Grogu, who people are largely indifferent to.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's not really surprising. Baby Yoda is a Muppet, the newest member of the insanely popular cross-media phenomenon. 'Grogu' is a Star Wars Expanded Universe Character, a term that invokes mild distaste in even the most hardened Star Wars Fan.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I thought his name was Groku for a few weeks and had to be corrected via $5 bet that it wasn't.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Groku is way too crunchy sounding. He's an admittedly middle aged baby, not a cucumber

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baby Yoda or Son Groku

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Groku son of Dooku

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Grogu and Yoda get all the merch they want, but who caters to the Yaddleheads?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I fully expect baby Yoda to replace Santa Claus in 5-7 years.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

He's already supplanted regular Yoda on licensed holiday merchandise, if Baby Yoda can overtake Rick and Morty on bootleg weed paraphernalia I truly believe he will have become inescapable in culture

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Grogu and Yoda get all the merch they want, but who caters to the Yaddleheads?

NSFW :nms:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

It's not really surprising. Baby Yoda is a Muppet, the newest member of the insanely popular cross-media phenomenon. 'Grogu' is a Star Wars Expanded Universe Character, a term that invokes mild distaste in even the most hardened Star Wars Fan.

Baby Yoda: He's Yoda, but a baby!

Baby Yoda is a magical baby who can make his pacifier float, or poop his diaper magically, or whatever. Oh my gosh, he's like a little doll!

Grogu: He's not yoda, and not a baby.

Grogu's like five or six years old in alien years, but acts like a baby because he has PTSD (wow!). The main intrigue with the character is when he's gonna start killing people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ki adi mundi bout to stick his whole head up in there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The main intrigue with the character is when he's gonna start killing people.

To be fair, that's a pretty good hook when you put it that way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I want to see baby yoda kill ewoks

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I wanna see Baby Yoda eat the eggs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elias_Maluco posted:

I want to see baby yoda kill ewoks

You say that like baby yoda and the ewoks wouldn't get along great with their shared love of turbomurdering stormtroopers

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Baby Yoda, who everybody loves, is simply a distinct character from Grogu, who people are largely indifferent to.

ungulateman posted:

This is very persuasive, they’ve never said “grogu” and I’m pretty sure they think he’s yoda’s baby

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm still surprised that "Grogu" has stuck to the extent that it has.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It grows on you. It's also a Lone Wolf and Cub reference, which shouldn't be surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It gros on gu.