Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

BC is definitely 40 kph over. every now and then you read in the news about big groups of ferraris and lambos getting impounded in vancouver.

i ate that one once on my motorcycle a few years ago, hence one of the reasons i dont speed in town any more lol. i was close enough to home that i just walked, got a chance to think about all the money i just flushed down the toilet. towing fee, impound fee, speeding ticket, penalty points on my license. probably cost upwards of $1200 all said and done and they took my wheels for a few days. kind of a self correction system. do stupid poo poo, win stupid prize.

If you get caught...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what would ghost rider do...

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

numberoneposter posted:

Overact?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

BURN THOSE MUTHAFUCKAS TO THE GROUND

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I’m convinced the bad Prius drivers in Seattle from 10 years ago are now all bad Tesla Model 3 drivers. They acquiesced to underpowered econo boxes and still drive their new cars like a 90 year old. Step on the loving gas (go?) pedal and use that plentiful electric torque you cowards.

resident fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 21, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

I need to pull out of this parking spot in front of the store.
Let's see, which one of these was reverse again? D? R?
I think it's D, time to gently press the accelerator and--

Oh BTW, I'm a 127 year old and I lost both my eyes in the civil war.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Earlier this year my car was totaled. It was parked at the mechanic- someone had lost control of their SUV at like 10mph and started swerving around in the adjacent shopping center parking lot, drove over a curb at a bank, swerved away from it, drove over another curb 20-30 feet away, and rammed into the front of my car. The shop showed me the security cam footage- it occurred over like 8-9 seconds. It made me question how they were able to drive there in the first place

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Earlier this year my car was totaled. It was parked at the mechanic- someone had lost control of their SUV at like 10mph and started swerving around in the adjacent shopping center parking lot, drove over a curb at a bank, swerved away from it, drove over another curb 20-30 feet away, and rammed into the front of my car. The shop showed me the security cam footage- it occurred over like 8-9 seconds. It made me question how they were able to drive there in the first place

All things are possible with the Lord!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are we at the point in the thread where we complain about cyclists and people start getting mad?

I'll start: if you're on the road on wheels you're a vehicle. That means poo poo applies to you all the time, not just when it's convenient. "I stop at the red light but if nobody's coming I just go through it" is obscenely reckless.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are we at the point in the thread where we complain about cyclists and people start getting mad?

I'll start: if you're on the road on wheels you're a vehicle. That means poo poo applies to you all the time, not just when it's convenient. "I stop at the red light but if nobody's coming I just go through it" is obscenely reckless.

I'm all for cyclists. Big thumbs up!

I rode my bike to work a couple of times in Boston but gave it up after like 3 rides, as I realized it would be the death of me in short order.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Cyclists definitely have to follow the rules. I have zero problem if they do, I dislike when they blast through intersections or across lanes for no reason. I don't see this much in colorado though with all our fancy dedicated bike lanes that just got reworked.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I should clarify, zero issue when they follow the rules, even if they're riding slow and dipping into the lane all the way or something. Just. Don't put other people in danger

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i approve of cyclists wherever they go. except when they go on the 80km/h avenue that cuts across my city and i wonder if they have a deathwish :ohdear:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I can't follow rules. So as a bicyclist I was blasting through intersections and hopping on hoods and getting totally gnarly with it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i have to say though that i cant recall a specific incident where bicyclists ran reds in front of me.

motorcycles otoh...

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I once asked a bicyclist why he rode the white line of the bike lane instead of riding in the middle of it. He said it’s because the white paint is smoother and less bumpy than the blacktop or concrete, and there is a lot of broken glass, nails, and other hazards laying in the road. Plus, he’s had stuff thrown at him from pedestrians on the sidewalk before, like he was invading their personal space.

I totally get it and it makes a lot of sense from a bicyclist’s perspective, but given the choice of having a cigarette flicked at me or getting hit by a car because you’re closer to traffic than the sidewalk, I’d choose the former and stay in the bike lane :ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Were they a million years old? That sounds like the kind of carnage where if I went there on a 911 call the driver would be about to turn into dust, noncompliant with their meds, and not wearing the glasses they require for their 20/200,000 vision.

I almost got smoked by an ambulance last night and it really annoyed me- they were going lights through a residential neighborhood at 9pm so they didn’t turn their sirens on until they were right on top of the red light they wanted to go through. Barely even slowed down. Just some amateur hour code 3 driving.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've seen this far more from drivers than I have from cyclists where I live. Two weeks ago I was almost t-boned by a douchebag running a red in his Challenger.

I don't really have a problem with cyclists treating stop signs as yields and red lights as stop signs, especially with all the data from Idaho stop states showing that it's actually safer than the traditional system. Tbqh there is no behavior that a cyclist can engage in that is even remotely as dangerous as the poo poo I see other drivers doing two hundred times a day.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 21, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I've seen this far more from drivers than I have from cyclists where I live. Two weeks ago I was almost t-boned by a douchebag running a red in his Challenger.

I don't really have a problem with cyclists treating stop signs as yields and red lights as stop signs, especially with all the data from Idaho stop states showing that it's actually safer than the traditional system. Tbqh there is no behavior that a cyclist can engage in that is even remotely as dangerous as the poo poo I see other drivers doing two hundred times a day.

That's mostly because tboning a vehicle that ways 250lb tops is less dangerous than tboning a pickup truck

Also I'm not sure I'd trust data from Idaho to apply in, say, the NYC suburbs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the grand scheme of things it's more of an annoyance in the way that comic shows, and less "this is a direct inconvenience", I don't care if I pass them before the intersection or 10ft after it, not like they gained much ground running that 15-second red light

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also I'm not sure I'd trust data from Idaho to apply in, say, the NYC suburbs

The most recent data is actually from Delaware, where they recorded a 23% reduction in injuries at intersections. So far it's been very well-received in the half a dozen states that have passed it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Cyclists are insane or have deathwishes if you cycle on American roads.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Cyclists are insane or have deathwishes if you cycle on American roads.

Or maybe they just live somewhere with lovely public transit and can't afford a car/aren't allowed to operate one.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

people whos cars exhaust are tuned specificially to make those popping noises should have their vehicles exploded with an RPG

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The most recent data is actually from Delaware, where they recorded a 23% reduction in injuries at intersections. So far it's been very well-received in the half a dozen states that have passed it.

I'd like to read this source tbh

Anyway my original point was "they should follow the rules of the road" so if the rules say they can do it then sure, whatever, but at least in my neck of the woods it's still just a vehicle running a red light

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 21, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

people whos cars exhaust are tuned specificially to make those popping noises should have their vehicles exploded with an RPG

also loud motorcycles

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

resident posted:

I’m convinced the bad Prius drivers in Seattle from 10 years ago are now all bad Tesla Model 3 drivers. They acquiesced to underpowered econo boxes and still drive their new cars like a 90 year old. Step on the loving gas (go?) pedal and use that plentiful electric torque you cowards.
Do you have any idea how long the car will be out of commission if a gnat hits the windshield too hard?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the best driving poo poo i've seen lately was this Dodge Minivan hit a traffic barrel on an on-ramp and get it lodged between their bumper and wheel well somehow

so they just literally rolled with it and merged onto the freeway with this roaring scraping sound coming from their front end

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm the car in front of you at a stop sign and a busy intersection that hasn't moved in 5 minutes. :evilbuddy:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

resident posted:

Three years ago my brand new car got totalled by an 80 year old who used that electric torque to make a very fast left turn without right of way. He would not, could not accept that he was supposed to not make a turn directly into a car that was already in the intersection, because he had a green light.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Three years ago my brand new car got totalled by an 80 year old who used that electric torque to make a very fast left turn without right of way. He would not, could not accept that he was supposed to not make a turn directly into a car that was already in the intersection, because he had a green light.

“Left then bang” instead of “bang a left.”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

20 Blunts posted:

the best driving poo poo i've seen lately was this Dodge Minivan hit a traffic barrel on an on-ramp and get it lodged between their bumper and wheel well somehow

so they just literally rolled with it and merged onto the freeway with this roaring scraping sound coming from their front end
Gonna need to be a little more specific about why that would be any different of a sound than the Dodge makes normally.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Or maybe they just live somewhere with lovely public transit and can't afford a car/aren't allowed to operate one.

lovely public transit is everywhere not NYC and means car.

E: or DUI in which case lol.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

lovely public transit is everywhere not NYC and means car.

E: or DUI in which case lol.

Or epilepsy, narcolepsy, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, migraines, photophobia, etc. There are lots of medical reasons why someone would be unable to drive a car, we just don't give a poo poo about any of them in the US.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

maybe if the olds werent allowed to drive cars then they would vote for public transit

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

maybe if the olds werent allowed to drive cars then they would vote for public transit

I fully support this endeavor.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Or epilepsy, narcolepsy, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, migraines, photophobia, etc. There are lots of medical reasons why someone would be unable to drive a car, we just don't give a poo poo about any of them in the US.

Those people are also not going to be cycling!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

a lot of narcoleptic dementia patients commuting on their bikes around you are there?

e:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

e-scooters can suck a gently caress