Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
That's almost exactly the kind of thing that I was thinking of when I was thinking that it wouldn't work, sorry. I was thinking more like X-Files crossed with something Vincent Price or Peter Cushing might be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

redshirt posted:

The X-Files movie is where I dropped off the hype train. I was into it till then.

I would use my parents bathroom sometimes just to read this book on X-Files they had in there that covered different cases and monsters and aliens and such. Before we had wikipedia and all that so it was really novel and interesting to see that much in depth about a TV shows details.

The movie was when I lost interest and just stuck with reading shampoo bottles in my bathroom. Sodium lauryl sulfate better than the movie.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'll never try to reread them because it would almost certainly ruin my good memories of them, but I really loved the X-Files novels as a kid and devoured them in between waiting for new episodes

they are also very educational

this book taught me that skin cells are everywhere and you should never ever touch your face with your hands, a lesson child-me took to heart :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Enfys posted:

...and you should never ever touch your face with your hands, a lesson child-me took to heart :colbert:
But then if you go blind how will you know by feel, that you still have your face and someone or something hasn't replaced it with someone, or something else's!!!

You know, in some sort of Nickolas Cage'esq shenanigans!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Enfys posted:

I'll never try to reread them because it would almost certainly ruin my good memories of them, but I really loved the X-Files novels as a kid and devoured them in between waiting for new episodes

this book taught me that skin cells are everywhere and you should never ever touch your face with your hands, a lesson child-me took to heart :colbert:

You are wise and powerful.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol I forgot about those novels.

I've been watching SurrealEstate and it's a great monster of the week show.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Enfys posted:

I remember the one where some assholes were being haunted by the ghosts of the indigenous people they murdered in an atomic weapon test as being pretty good

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
jose chungs from outer space is a masterpiece

motw episodes rule, the myth arc poo poo can go in the weeds

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did jose chungs get a novelization

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pimpcasso posted:

jose chungs from outer space is a masterpiece

motw episodes rule, the myth arc poo poo can go in the weeds

Clyde Bruckmans Final Repose is up there too. Several of my favorites in season 3

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Enfys posted:

There were a couple of X-Files teen novels released within the last few years, dealing with teen Mulder and Scully respectively. While they're probably not canon, The Mulder one was fun and covers the events that spark his interest in the FBI. There's no supernatural or cryptozoologica stuff in it though, just a (surprisingly grim for a YA book) normal hosed up guy. I should read the Scully one one slow evening.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Edit: double post redacted by deputy-director Walter Skinner

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

There were a couple of X-Files teen novels released within the last few years, dealing with teen Mulder and Scully respectively. While they're probably not canon, The Mulder one was fun and covers the events that spark his interest in the FBI. There's no supernatural or cryptozoologica stuff in it though, just a (surprisingly grim for a YA book) normal hosed up guy. I should read the Scully one one slow evening.

Drop the names of these novels, please.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

redshirt posted:

Drop the names of these novels, please.

The mulder one is called X-Files: Agents of Chaos, and the Scully one Devils Advocate. I've only read the Mulder one, but like I said, breezy enough with probably enough there for a fan of the show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

The mulder one is called X-Files: Agents of Chaos, and the Scully one Devils Advocate. I've only read the Mulder one, but like I said, breezy enough with probably enough there for a fan of the show.

Gracias

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Bro! I can't get cable, only have an antennae, and Comet is my jam! Here's the Monday through Friday lineup:
10 - Farscape
11 - 2 - Stargate SG1
3 - 6 - Grimm (A fun weird show, like a supernatural soap opera, or also "Boy Buffy")
6 - 9 - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
9 - 12 - The X-Files

I usually turn it on and rip off the knob.

from way back but lol i know this schedule by heart too and i have cable lol

X-Files is really special, I've rewatched it probably 5-6 times at this point? and can generally tell you the entire plot to most episodes up to 8th or 9th season based off 1-2 minutes from the intro. i really wish there was another TV show that got me like the X-Files did but its also a very once in a lifetime series. Fringe is a close second and I enjoy JJ Abrams weird rear end stuff so

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Anybody remember the X-Files ps1 game?
It had some hilarious scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2--vHuDV5g

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Was that the same as the PC game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEHF1rmRzD8

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's weird that Vince Giligan doesn't seem to have been approached as the show-runner for the reboot.

Of course, he might have said no, but I'd be interested if it was in his hands.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Reboot with Rhea Shehorn and Bob Odenkirk as Mulder and Scully

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
There’s also an audible story narrated by David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson - The X-Files Cold Cases. There are other X-Files stories on audible but this is the only one with them both.

I don’t actually recall if it was any good because I listened to it last year during a long ferry trip over rough water and spent most of that time learning all about sea sickness.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

It's weird that Vince Giligan doesn't seem to have been approached as the show-runner for the reboot.

Of course, he might have said no, but I'd be interested if it was in his hands.

I think I'm fine with it, the new seasons sucked even more than the post duchovny ones, and frankly I cannot imagine the old framework at all functioning with today's climate and tech and demonstrably they weren't any better at making it. If anyone is going to make a reboot work it'll be someone new I reckon, but I've little evidence to think anything good will come from it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mulder was my first huge crush, I thought I was going to faint whenever I was surprised by a commercial promoting the show.

I also watched the show on a tiny black and white TV on my room because no one else in my family wanted to watch it, and if they did, they'd be talking over it and it would send me into a rage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Real Amethyst posted:

Anybody remember the X-Files ps1 game?
It had some hilarious scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2--vHuDV5g

lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

from way back but lol i know this schedule by heart too and i have cable lol

X-Files is really special, I've rewatched it probably 5-6 times at this point? and can generally tell you the entire plot to most episodes up to 8th or 9th season based off 1-2 minutes from the intro. i really wish there was another TV show that got me like the X-Files did but its also a very once in a lifetime series. Fringe is a close second and I enjoy JJ Abrams weird rear end stuff so

LOL Comet went and changed their lineup out of nowhere, midweek. I don't know what it is anymore except Buffy got knocked down and Grimm got elevated WTF??

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Small Strange Bird posted:

The Darin Morgan season 10 episode 'The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat' explains perfectly why The X Files just wouldn't work in its original format any more, and should really have been the final episode ever because it dynamites the entire premise of the show when it's placed in a modern context.

I.. don't see how, please explain. (Is being serious)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
If someone remade it, they'd have to keep the setting in the 90s. FBI agents investigating werewolves with smartphones post 9/11 isn't the X files

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Much like the simpsons, the xfiles should have never left the 90s

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looking back on things, leaving the 90's was just a bad idea in general.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

LOL Comet went and changed their lineup out of nowhere, midweek. I don't know what it is anymore except Buffy got knocked down and Grimm got elevated WTF??

I like the new schedule. Grimm is like if Buffy and X-Files had a baby, it's new to me and pretty decent.

X-Files is good to fall asleep to because it's always so goddamn dark. They can be in a 7-11 at 2pm and you can't see a dang thing. Watching it during the day though, it's like, hey maybe stop and hit the lights on your way in instead of creeping around in a dark building full of monsters or whatever.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Vampire Panties posted:

If someone remade it, they'd have to keep the setting in the 90s. FBI agents investigating werewolves with smartphones post 9/11 isn't the X files

I think an X-Files set in the 60s would be wild.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Late 50's you got swamp things, Mummys, Draculars, giant -insert random animal here- anything from ripleys believe it or not, 50's aliens, weird road side attractions... Hell an entire seasons could made of them just doing a road trip and stopping at every "mystery spot" type road side attraction.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
it wouldnt change the structure of the show much. I think Scully logged into the FBI computers to look stuff up occasionally, but (iirc) Mulder was paper only. The biggest difference would be no answering machine plots.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
X-files in the 1700s, but it's all poo poo that turns out to be true, eventually.

"Come along, Hammersmith! The rumors at the docks is that there's a woman doing surgeries and claiming to heal the sick and injured!"
"My word, Locksley, this must be some sort of jest! Sounds like quackery to me!"
"Please, Hammy, the surgical arts have proponents that believe that they will one day be able to enter into the bodies of the ill and mend injuries from organs that have become afflicted with foulness. It's already being researched at the top schools of Europe."
"It's quackery to me, Locksley. The fact that a woman is involved only proves as much that it's not real medicine! It's probably some sort of deviltry at best!"

"Hammy! Take a look upon this! It's a carriage being driven from unseen force but sounds like screeching animals! Rumor has it that the smith that crafted it has found a way to turn whale oil into food that feeds a mechanical dog that drives its movement!"
"Deviltry, I say, Locksley, pure deviltry! I'd reckon that smith has rather fed his own soul to Scratch, himself, for the means of moving that cart by the hand of witchcraft!"
"But, Hammy, what if it is true? I hear talk of chemists in Italy that have proposed that the mechanics of such a device be not that dissimilar from the discharge of a loaded musket propelling a ball of lead across a battlefield!"

"It's a secret society that aims to rule through ELECTIONS."
"You mean just the smallfolks choosing people to run the village and serve as sheriffs? That's not unheard of, I suppose. The Crown can scarcely afford a man in all those tiny places to handle their little affairs."
"Not for a village, or a town. A whole country. The very highest levels of leadership being granted to ANYONE and can be chosen by EVERYONE!"
"Only the hand of the devil himself could be behind such an affront to the God-ordained appointments!"

(In the end, it's actually deviltry, but someday, Hammy, it'll be real.)

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I enjoyed a few of the guest writer episodes like the Stephen King one with the killer doll but the William Gibson ones are so so bad.
The secretly best episode is the one written by Thomas Ligotti that was too bleak for them to air. He actually gets the humor and pacing really well.
Here is a link to it on reddit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

i'd watch it. then again i watched all of sleepy hollow and liked most of it so im not exactly impartial or discerning

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
X-file 1400's:

Mulder: Welp, looks like all these strange going on were caused by the old women just outside town everyone dislikes. Well Skully seems it's time to round up a pile of burning logs again.

Skully: Hmm yes that is the most logical conclusion. I guess we just agree on everything again!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

X-files in the 1700s, but it's all poo poo that turns out to be true, eventually.

"Come along, Hammersmith! The rumors at the docks is that there's a woman doing surgeries and claiming to heal the sick and injured!"
"My word, Locksley, this must be some sort of jest! Sounds like quackery to me!"
"Please, Hammy, the surgical arts have proponents that believe that they will one day be able to enter into the bodies of the ill and mend injuries from organs that have become afflicted with foulness. It's already being researched at the top schools of Europe."
"It's quackery to me, Locksley. The fact that a woman is involved only proves as much that it's not real medicine! It's probably some sort of deviltry at best!"

"Hammy! Take a look upon this! It's a carriage being driven from unseen force but sounds like screeching animals! Rumor has it that the smith that crafted it has found a way to turn whale oil into food that feeds a mechanical dog that drives its movement!"
"Deviltry, I say, Locksley, pure deviltry! I'd reckon that smith has rather fed his own soul to Scratch, himself, for the means of moving that cart by the hand of witchcraft!"
"But, Hammy, what if it is true? I hear talk of chemists in Italy that have proposed that the mechanics of such a device be not that dissimilar from the discharge of a loaded musket propelling a ball of lead across a battlefield!"

"It's a secret society that aims to rule through ELECTIONS."
"You mean just the smallfolks choosing people to run the village and serve as sheriffs? That's not unheard of, I suppose. The Crown can scarcely afford a man in all those tiny places to handle their little affairs."
"Not for a village, or a town. A whole country. The very highest levels of leadership being granted to ANYONE and can be chosen by EVERYONE!"
"Only the hand of the devil himself could be behind such an affront to the God-ordained appointments!"

(In the end, it's actually deviltry, but someday, Hammy, it'll be real.)

This is approximately the Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
X-Files 0AD

"They think this child is the messiah, Scully. A child of divine and immaculate conception from the rumored god of the Israelites, and I think they might be right! Right now Rome has sent centurions out to find to find him and we can't let that happen."

"Are you sure you want to keep working that theory, Mulder? I'm sorry, I know you believe in this sort of thing... If this child IS the child of a god, isn't it far more plausible that the child is that of Jupiter or Apollo? If that's the case, Rome has an obligation to find this child for its own good and protection, doesn't it?"