Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Speaking of the cum cake scene, one thing I can't remember from that is did they ever explain why ghosts exist in The Matrix? Because that is the scene where they introduce the ghost twins and the concept of ghosts, but nobody else becomes a ghost and they never really explain why as far as I can remember.

They were all rogue programs hiding within the simulation. This was all in the text leon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rappaport posted:

The new Ducktales was good, David Tennant did a great Scrooge

Do they explain where Huey, Dewey, and Louie come from?

How can Scrooge and Donald both be their Uncles, but neither ever mention having a brother? And their nephews just kind of switch between living with different uncles?

It would take me out of it and I could never watch an episode.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They were all rogue programs hiding within the simulation. This was all in the text leon

They were rogue programs, but they never explained why they were ghosts. According to the Wiki, they intentionally never explain it!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I thought the new Matrix was okay. That's all I have to say at this time.

How can Scrooge and Donald both be their Uncles, but neither ever mention having a brother? And their nephews just kind of switch between living with different uncles?

Yep, they start planting seeds for a whole arc explaining that from episode 1.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Donald's sister, Della, features in the show's storyline. She was originally introduced out of frame in the 1930's by Al Taliaferro. The show's plotline is slightly different from the comics continuity and elaborating would be :siren: SPOILERZ :ohdear:

Scrooge is Donald's uncle, so he's the great-uncle of H&D&L, technically speaking.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I thought the new Matrix was okay. That's all I have to say at this time.

Haven't seen it, but were the rumors that they recast Morpheus because the original was canonically killed in the Enter The Matrix MMORPG video game, and they wanted to stick with that continuity, true?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Haven't seen it, but were the rumors that they recast Morpheus because the original was canonically killed in the Enter The Matrix MMORPG video game, and they wanted to stick with that continuity, true?

The in-universe explanation is more complicated than that but I'm pretty sure Lawrence Fishburne having scheduling issues and then they use that as an excuse is the more likely scenario.

I remember that MMO. More specifically when it was shutting down and people were throwing parties during doomsday. Those were simpler times.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

If you've got a good recipe for magic cum cake, then you better post it and share with the class.

Leon, I am not going to explain magic cum cake to you.

...While the scene and film are a clunky mess, the point of the scene is to:

a) establish the concept of objects as essentially programming-based magic plot devices so that this can be repeatedly driven into the ground later on.
b) make the Merovingian an alienating figure with deliberately lovely instrumental views of the world.
c) establish him as a weirdo sex pervert who is quasi-cheating on his wife.

The whole idea of the merovingian and the other weird exile characters is that the last version of the Matrix was basically Castlevania, and had to get shut down because people found it too unrealistic.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 21, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The wachowskis get mad props from me. they can do whatever they want on the back of speed racer alone
An underrated movie. Everybody really poured their blood, sweat, and tears into that. The blood was mostly due to the violent chimp flipping out a whole bunch.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

cum cake discourse

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Delish

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
ped rill

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

a) establish the concept of objects as essentially programming-based magic plot devices so that this can be repeatedly driven into the ground later on.
b) make the Merovingian an alienating figure with deliberately lovely instrumental views of the world.

The whole idea of the merovingian and the other weird exile characters is that the last version of the Matrix was basically Castlevania, and had to get shut down because people found it too unrealistic.

He's right

It's a good scene and the whole cake thing isn't that confusing. Being really incredulous about mildly weird things is one of the worst hack comedy bits

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

hello, d&d, i made a small browser game with some friends where you play as george w bush in a world where 9/11 never happened (but you can still WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR). it's available here.

thought it might be of interest to the few of you who like silly political simulators and some references to mid-2000s web poo poo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Now make one about relitigating the 2016 primaries and post it in USCE, as a joke

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
speaking of matrix reloaded:

https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1738943054948479089

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

actually the cake makes her go poopy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
she pooped herself lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
making a cake that makes someone poop themselves isn't a challenge, the merovingian wouldn't be proud of that

speaking of the merovingian, i'm reminded how much i liked his turn as an incomprehensible trash lord in the fourth film

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That was extremely funny yeah.

The cum cake made perfect sense to me even on a first viewing, because I was like “of course that’s what you would do if you owned a restaurant.”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

hello, d&d, i made a small browser game with some friends where you play as george w bush in a world where 9/11 never happened (but you can still WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR). it's available here.

thought it might be of interest to the few of you who like silly political simulators and some references to mid-2000s web poo poo

drat it I lost to hillary clinton

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just an annual Christmas reminder that Hansel & Gretel: Witchunters still exists.

It is rated R for scenes of gore, some sexual content, and Jeremy Renner.

It's a Jewish Christmas tradition.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
when it comes to mediocre action movies, jeremy renner is the repelling yang to karl urban's sustaining yin

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it is scientifically impossible to miscast karl urban or tom hardy

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

it is scientifically impossible to miscast karl urban or tom hardy

cast them as characters in Cloud Atlas with a different ethnicity in every era, then at the end they're inexplicably both Scarlett Johansson

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
during the work day i feel too tired to work diligently at researching regulatory guidance for the permit application i'm preparing, then i come home and spend two hours reading up on advanced propulsion concepts i absolutely do not understand in order to make a post in the sa space thread

at least when i was younger when i did poo poo like this it was to go out to a party or some poo poo, now it's just sad

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I got a cold now (not covid) from Christmas. Sore throat and feel like garbage. Never visit your family.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My wife and I just watched the first hour of A Quiet Place and didn't realize that there are no subtitles for the sign language built into the movie unless you manually turn closed captions on. That is the first movie I have ever seen where you had to manually enable captions to get subtitles.

It seemed like the lack of subtitles and total silence was intended until you get to a 4-minute signing scene about 50 minutes in.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 29, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

during the work day i feel too tired to work diligently at researching regulatory guidance for the permit application i'm preparing, then i come home and spend two hours reading up on advanced propulsion concepts i absolutely do not understand in order to make a post in the sa space thread

at least when i was younger when i did poo poo like this it was to go out to a party or some poo poo, now it's just sad

nah to whatever extent we still learn things this is how

that in itself is quite sad but the individual manifestation is completely normal imo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think i've ever seen anyone who's impressed me as much with their raw intelligence as much as james baldwin. i don't care much to meet famous people or historical figures, but i sorely would have loved to have had a conversation with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jXwWCyMJyc

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't think i've ever seen anyone who's impressed me as much with their raw intelligence as much as james baldwin. i don't care much to meet famous people or historical figures, but i sorely would have loved to have had a conversation with him

Billy Baldwin is the best Baldwin brother. James and Alec tie for second.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
people reference the other baldwin brothers, but i swear i have never seen any of them outside of alec in any piece of media in my entire life. why do they keep coming up?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've seen more footage of billy carter than i have of billy baldwin

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

people reference the other baldwin brothers, but i swear i have never seen any of them outside of alec in any piece of media in my entire life. why do they keep coming up?

One of them is in The Sopranos as himself to set up a joke about how they couldn’t get Alec and had to settle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Stephen Baldwin has the honor of being the only actor to star in both The Usual Suspects and Biodome.

It's quite an oeuvre.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
happy new years dadchat, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Happy new year everybody, hope you were safe and sane if you shot fireworks off

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I have "If Beale Street Could Talk" sitting on my bookshelf and I really need to get around to reading it. He was fantastic in the Buckley debate.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1741818653580898435

this seems like a dark omen for the coming year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Happy new year dadchat. It is currently -30 degrees Celsius here, which google tells me is about -22 in the filthy Fahrenheit scale.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 2, 2024