Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Survivalist: Invisible Strain just got its first pass of its story mode, so if you were looking for a time to jump in, that might be now!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054510/Survivalist_Invisible_Strain/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching a video of some guys playing a upcoming game called Once Human. Survival game in a scp/lovecraft/annhilation post apocalypse. Looks pretty cool, but the voice acting is pretty hilarious in cutscenes though. Very casual conversations with some bird spirit.

But the combat, survival and crafting aspect looks super neat.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, studio must have sent out beta invites to a lot of streamers because I've suddenly seen it everywhere.
Too bad it won't be out for at least another 9 months!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
How in the heck are you lot not recommending Subnautica as an entry into the survival genre? It's such a solid game with base building, exploring and an actual kinda neat story.

Truly the perfect game.

Also there's cool vehicles including a giant submarine and an actual mech you can customize so you can spider man your way around the depths.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And without a browser window open to spoiler pages, you can spend hours looking in random spots on a huge map for three chunks of whateverthefuckyouneed to progress!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
While my second batch of suggestions were lazier, the op did mention an interest in co-op. So even though Subnautica now has 3rd party mod support for co-op, I never contemplated it as an option tbh.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Vasler posted:

How in the heck are you lot not recommending Subnautica as an entry into the survival genre? It's such a solid game with base building, exploring and an actual kinda neat story.

Truly the perfect game.

Also there's cool vehicles including a giant submarine and an actual mech you can customize so you can spider man your way around the depths.

The problem with subnautica as an intro is that you’ll be constantly chasing that high and nothing can quite match it for me.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Are there any first person PvE survival/building games where your base and its design actually matter like 7 Days to Die?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

LordSloth posted:

While my second batch of suggestions were lazier, the op did mention an interest in co-op. So even though Subnautica now has 3rd party mod support for co-op, I never contemplated it as an option tbh.

That's a key point I missed, my apologies. drat Subnautica is such a good game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Are there any first person PvE survival/building games where your base and its design actually matter like 7 Days to Die?

Conan, theoretically? I mean you build a treasure chest that gets attacked by a horde now, I gather. We played around launch and I haven't gotten friends around to really do a server since then

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

Comedy suggestion: Landlord's Super.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Spanish Matlock posted:

Conan, theoretically? I mean you build a treasure chest that gets attacked by a horde now, I gather. We played around launch and I haven't gotten friends around to really do a server since then

There is a goon Conan server up. Its PVE but i'm sure people are willing to team up to do stuff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So i played 2 games. Grounded was recommended but it's only online if you have friends. But in general I found it paced too slow. Tried Conan as well, it was a bit better but I don't know if it was the combat or just the graphics it didn't really give any atmosphere or vibe that some of these other games look to have.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As you seem pretty new to the genre I'll just warn you now that most survival simulations tend to be pretty slow paced, and if Grounded is too slow for you, that's going to cut the vast majority of the games, as they're usually slower than that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yeah most survival games either are "survival" in the sense that maybe there's a water/food/temperature meter and once in a while you eat or drink something and build a fire if it's freezing but the focus is on something entirely different, or else they're "go pick 50 berries so you don't starve in the next 10 minutes and then gather twigs and plant fiber to build a tool so you can harvest more things to make more tools and there's a crafting tree with 800 things in it to learn."

Which reminds me, Don't Starve is also pretty fun though it's SP. There's a MP version called Don't Starve Together, but it has some weird mechanics.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think it's possible I bounced off because the atmosphere/vibes and the art style for both grounded/conan was not to my liking. I know it's a superficial thing but I think I need a game that looks good to atleast get me into the genre then maybe try the other stuff after.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ulio posted:

I think it's possible I bounced off because the atmosphere/vibes and the art style for both grounded/conan was not to my liking. I know it's a superficial thing but I think I need a game that looks good to atleast get me into the genre then maybe try the other stuff after.

Subnautica.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ulio posted:

What sort of aesthetic are you looking for? You've said a few times that game A or B is not to your taste in terms of style or aesthetic or setting, so it might help if you were specific about which aesthetic you wanted.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ulio posted:

Lego Fortnite

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
what say y'all about Sunkenland? Looks like an underwater Rust type of game

I've also been considering The Front, if anyone has opinions on that one

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 21, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

What sort of aesthetic are you looking for? You've said a few times that game A or B is not to your taste in terms of style or aesthetic or setting, so it might help if you were specific about which aesthetic you wanted.

I don't think it's just visuals but the vibe, like it doesn't feel scary or theres no tension. Like I don't care if I die or not. Maybe is there one of these games with more horror vibe?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ulio posted:

I don't think it's just visuals but the vibe, like it doesn't feel scary or theres no tension. Like I don't care if I die or not. Maybe is there one of these games with more horror vibe?

Subnautica. Or the Long Dark? The Forest maybe?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Ulio posted:

The Forest is great. Simple survival horror with a lot of stuff to figure out and investigate if you look for it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Has anyone said Subnautica yet?

a booming roar happens in the distance; I poo poo my pants

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ulio posted:

So i played 2 games. Grounded was recommended but it's only online if you have friends. But in general I found it paced too slow. Tried Conan as well, it was a bit better but I don't know if it was the combat or just the graphics it didn't really give any atmosphere or vibe that some of these other games look to have.

It's not really survival, but maybe give Zero Sievert a try. It's basically a single-player Tarkov Lite; a bunch of the story/setting is directly ripped off from Tarkov. Basically a high-risk, super fast TTK extraction shooter with some light survivally mechanics like food/radiation/stamina etc

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Some good suggestions here; Subnautica, Long Dark, The Forest/ sequel Sons of the Forest. Perhaps Darkwood? It's survival horror, if anything.

Vintage Story is always my recommendation for a bit more detailed and indepth survival/crafting and venturing into drifter caves sure can be scary... but it's not really a "horror" game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Some good suggestions here; Subnautica, Long Dark, The Forest/ sequel Sons of the Forest. Perhaps Darkwood? It's survival horror, if anything.

Vintage Story is always my recommendation for a bit more detailed and indepth survival/crafting and venturing into drifter caves sure can be scary... but it's not really a "horror" game.

Vintage story doesn't really have any stakes or tension. It's a fine Walden simulator, though.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Honestly? If you’re looking for faster-paced, I’d probably aim for a single-player game.

For some unknown reason nobody has ever introduced a ‘resource slider’ akin to a difficultly slider, or enemy mobs that scale with the number of players. The games will still be slower, but something like Subnautica is built with the expectation that a single player manages everything- the difficulty is more in finding and safely extracting resources instead of the speed of your tools and a lengthy resource extraction process.

On the other hand, if you’re feeling Grounded, Sons of the Forest, or Conan slow, going co-op is a transformative experience. Combat is usually more fun, you’re getting resources twice as fast with twice the free inventory space, and needing to contribute about half the resources to get your workbenchs and shelters up.

I’m stubbornly single player, but that’s mostly a matter of opportunity and convenience of schedule and laziness in finding someone to play with. Also, I’m now in another state for Xmas so I’m stuck between N Switch, phone, and five year-old nephew whose playroom also happens to contain the only television.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Spanish Matlock posted:

Vintage story doesn't really have any stakes or tension. It's a fine Walden simulator, though.

play more permadeath wilderness survival :sickos:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Some games do offer a permadeath mode, if you're looking to be afraid of dying. Forest/Sons of the Forest is pretty. New Ark Survival is very pretty, but if you're on PC you need a beefy rig to run it without making GBS threads the bed.

I mostly play survival games for wilderness vibes and building. If I want to be afraid of everything I'll play Zomboid (it's isometric 16-bit style so don't pick that up if you want good graphics) because you'll die to pretty much anything.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Unrelated to the above:

I played stationeers for the first time in a really long time, and the addition of nitrogen ice really turns around the early game. The Moon is actually a Beginner start for real since it's actually possible to fill rooms with non-flammable gas without having to set up complicated gas outputs from the smelter. I was able to get my farm up and running by dropping 5 stacks of nitrice in the room and then emptying my waste tank a couple times. The portable air conditioner isn't a total joke like it used to be so I've been able to keep the room at an acceptable temperature despite not having done anything with a heat exchanger yet. Overall it was the easiest start I've ever had and I'm already self-sufficient after a few hours. They also added difficulty levels and "normal" has SHITLOAD of ores everywhere so that hasn't hurt either. I think the old settings are now on the highest difficulty level and the three levels below it are progressively easier.

Altogether I'm pretty happy with how the game has progressed although it's gotten buggier over time. The game now locks up if you choose the "save" option after clicking exit to desktop lol.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm still going to keep bringing up Valheim. When you're exploring and run into a dangerous new area that you're not fully prepared for, and you're a long way from home, the game is genuinely very tense. I still remember sailing past mosquitoes for the first time and the panic that followed as they chased us down. There's a group of people who used to offer rescue runs to get your stuff back with you because the world is dangerous if you're not ready for it.

The survival aspects are important but non intrusive. You wouldn't want to go exploring in a new/dangerous area without some stacks of food, but you won't just drop dead from thirst/hunger after beating a boss and trying to travel back home.

It's not exactly a beautiful game, but the biomes are well realised and the limited graphics mean the game is incredibly resilient. A guy in our group dug out an enormous harbour for the boats we had built, it was genuinely massive, and teleporting to that was the only time I experienced any lagging or pop in. The building options are also the best I've seen in this sort of game.

It has a bit of a slow burn start but you'll be pushing into dangerous woodland soon enough and the cycle of "go unprepared into new area, sneak things from new area to make new gear, use new gear to scour now familiar area, go unprepared into new area" was very satisfying.

I also considered Grounded too slow. The combat was unsatisfying, the signposting was poor and from what I read here there was a lot of "you only unlock the cool stuff later" which I couldn't be bothered with. Valheim is better in every aspect, it's just not as pretty or thematic.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
You can also make yurts in Valhiem, it's the only game in which I've made a yurt, and that has to count for something. I like yurts.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

30.5 Days posted:

Unrelated to the above:

I played stationeers for the first time in a really long time, and the addition of nitrogen ice really turns around the early game. The Moon is actually a Beginner start for real since it's actually possible to fill rooms with non-flammable gas without having to set up complicated gas outputs from the smelter. I was able to get my farm up and running by dropping 5 stacks of nitrice in the room and then emptying my waste tank a couple times. The portable air conditioner isn't a total joke like it used to be so I've been able to keep the room at an acceptable temperature despite not having done anything with a heat exchanger yet. Overall it was the easiest start I've ever had and I'm already self-sufficient after a few hours. They also added difficulty levels and "normal" has SHITLOAD of ores everywhere so that hasn't hurt either. I think the old settings are now on the highest difficulty level and the three levels below it are progressively easier.

Altogether I'm pretty happy with how the game has progressed although it's gotten buggier over time. The game now locks up if you choose the "save" option after clicking exit to desktop lol.

On the moon, if you are very careful, you an make a gas pipe with one half inside the room and one half outside. Put radiators on the outside bits, and the indoor equivalent on the inside bits. Add a manual valve in between. CAREFULLY and SLOWLY put some pollutant into the pipe.

Voila, extremely low tech cooling enough for a farm without extensive heat generation. Just make sure you don't put a lot of gas into the pipe, because it WILL freeze eventually and burst the pipe if there's too much in it.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

isaboo posted:

I've also been considering The Front, if anyone has opinions on that one

I had it and wish I could tell you about the game itself. I tried to set up a dedicated server to play with my friends and I only got it to work after we already decided to try something else and then it broke again the next week when we tried again. It is the worst DS I've ever tried to set up ever. No other game has given me a problem.

We just refunded it and might go back to it later if the DS gets sorted, but chances are we wont since a bunch of other games are on our radar.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
After refunding Smalland and Sunkenland, I got The Front.
It's ok, I like the crafting system but haven't gotten very far yet (single player mode).

The worst thing so far has been getting stuck in terrain a couple of times.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

isaboo posted:

After refunding Smalland and Sunkenland, I got The Front.
It's ok, I like the crafting system but haven't gotten very far yet (single player mode).

The worst thing so far has been getting stuck in terrain a couple of times.

I played about an hour of it but it felt extremely janky to me and IIRC the building system uses the old "build your blocks first then place them" system instead of something more modern where you just need the mats in inventory and select the blocks you want as you build.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing Smalland with a friend and it's been fun so far. A question about mounts: can you have more than one? Do I lose my grasshopper if I use the gecko treat I just got?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

On the moon, if you are very careful, you an make a gas pipe with one half inside the room and one half outside. Put radiators on the outside bits, and the indoor equivalent on the inside bits. Add a manual valve in between. CAREFULLY and SLOWLY put some pollutant into the pipe.

Voila, extremely low tech cooling enough for a farm without extensive heat generation. Just make sure you don't put a lot of gas into the pipe, because it WILL freeze eventually and burst the pipe if there's too much in it.

I really loved and put some serious time into Stationeers but the gas / liquid phase change update really changed the game from "this is fun planning the systems I need" to "good lord this is tedious and I need high school chemistry / physics refresher to play". I wish they had a switch to turn that off, but understand why they probably can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Subnautica is a game I wish I could find a way to force myself to forget so I could play it for the first time all over again. It's such an absolute wonder to experience with no idea what is going on.