Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

tag yourself i'm the plane's rear end in a top hat

please just sit in your seat and shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
*stands up and shuffles around getting my poo poo while the plane's trying to taxi*

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just because we're at 1.5C doesn't mean we're not on target. 2.0C was always the real goal. Yes, warming is accelerating, but climate being able to accelerate means it can decelerate as well. Changes not being linear is good for us because it means our tools will slow it down even faster.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

*five years later*

we regret to inform you that the first through eighth derivatives of temperature change are all positive

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Lol the poor ski/snowboard thread in The Great Outdoors is having a sad one, and I'm probably never going to be able to ice fish in southern Michigan again.

RIP winter sports

One of the reasons why I took up skiing recently (3 years ago) was that I know it's going to get harder and harder as time goes on and the snowfall totals get smaller. I might as well enjoy it now while I can.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
You could just skip forward and get into mountain biking.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I didn't know 97-98 was an el nino, that explains why I remember it having no snow here in minneapolis, just like now! also gas was 49 cents a gallon

Salt Fish posted:

Just because we're at 1.5C doesn't mean we're not on target. 2.0C was always the real goal. Yes, warming is accelerating, but climate being able to accelerate means it can decelerate as well. Changes not being linear is good for us because it means our tools will slow it down even faster.

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TehSaurus posted:

*five years later*

we regret to inform you that the first through eighth derivatives of temperature change are all positive

ah, but the ninth though.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Is it possible to have a curve where every derivative is positive? Or is that just a vertical line?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SixteenShells posted:

Is it possible to have a curve where every derivative is positive? Or is that just a vertical line?

e^t

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The earth is feeling better again :) thank you democrats :)
EPA Moved Further and Faster Than Ever Before in 2023 | US EPA

www.epa.gov posted:

Agency’s year of achievements showcase unprecedented efforts to protect human health and the environment

December 21, 2023

WASHINGTON – In 2023, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) moved further and faster than ever before to deliver on its mission and protect human health and the environment. Thanks to the Biden-Harris Administration’s historic investments in America and the President’s ambitious climate and environmental agenda, EPA took significant steps over the last year to tackle climate change, advance environmental justice, and protect the health and safety of communities across the country.

“President Biden believes every person in this country deserves clean air to breathe, clean water to drink and the opportunity to lead a healthy life, and EPA is central to making that belief a reality. After a year of significant unparalleled accomplishments, I couldn’t be prouder of EPA’s driven and dedicated workforce,” said EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan . “From standing up rules to cut harmful pollution and bring clean, reliable energy to communities that need it most, to deploying billions of dollars in resources, EPA has never been in a stronger position to make people’s lives better and we’re not slowing down now.”

In 2023, Administrator Regan traveled to communities in all 10 EPA regions where he met with residents, interested parties, and elected leaders to advance the Biden-Harris Administration’s ambitious environmental agenda. Administrator Regan and agency officials also signed more than 50 rules . The agency is also delivering more than $16 Billion in investments from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and more than $41 Billion from the Inflation Reduction Act to reduce pollution, build a clean energy economy, lower costs for American households and businesses, create good-paying jobs, and advance environmental justice across the country.

Highlights of EPA’s 2023 Accomplishments:
  • EPA’s final rule on methane is set to prevent the equivalent of more than a billion tons of carbon emissions, marking a major step in combating climate change, while reducing other harmful pollution.
  • The agency introduced new technology standards for power plants and the transportation sector , representing some of the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S.
  • The agency proposed the Lead and Copper Rule Improvements and a rule to regulate six PFAS in drinking water , demonstrating its leadership in safeguarding drinking water.
  • The EPA delivered the largest single investment in environmental justice in history , launched the Thriving Justice Grantmakers Program, and developed Environmental Justice Technical Guidelines.
  • EPA made significant progress implementing the 2016 amendments to strengthen our nation’s chemical safety law after years of mismanagement and delay, advancing rules to better protect communities from harmful chemicals like TCE and methylene chloride .
  • The EPA enhanced its consultation policy with Indian Tribes and agreed with Canada and the Ktunaxa Nation to develop a joint initiative to tackle transboundary water pollution , showcasing its commitment to collaborative environmental solutions.
  • The agency deployed $1 billion in Bipartisan Infrastructure Law funding to expedite Superfund cleanup activities at 100 Superfund sites, and began cleanup of 22 additional Superfund sites.
  • The EPA’s 24th consecutive clean financial audit opinion highlights the agency's commitment to responsible and transparent financial management.
  • EPA made significant contributions in PFAS research, air quality standards, and climate adaptation strategies, underlining the agency’s role in leading environmental science.
  • Enforcement has been revitalized, with significant increases in on-site inspections, new criminal investigations, civil settlements, and cleanup enforcement.
  • EPA carried out emergency response efforts across the country, including East Palestine, Ohio , and on Maui, Hawaii .
  • Administrator Regan established a first-of-its-kind National Environmental Youth Advisory Council .

As the agency looks to 2024, it remains committed to building on these achievements, delivering on the Biden-Harris Administration’s climate and environmental agenda, and ensuring all people benefit equally from the historic economic opportunity and environmental progress ahead.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

I think the derivative of a perfectly vertical line is undefined - the slope cannot be calculated as the denominator is zero

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Salt Fish posted:

luv2be the fabulist of good news

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

actionjackson posted:

I think the derivative of a perfectly vertical line is undefined - the slope cannot be calculated as the denominator is zero

:hmmyes: thanks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anything to a power >1 should count too but i could be wrong. "e" is a specific number (2.67 something)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

if we pull the curve up fast enough we should be able to loop it backwards and fix all this from the start

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what if we made flying…. good for the environment???

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what if we made flying…. good for the environment???

Elon please we need you

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

anything to a power >1 should count too but i could be wrong. "e" is a specific number (2.67 something)

it needs to have the independent variable (x or t in the example) be the exponent, but you're right that it doesn't have to be e. y=A^x as long as A is greater than 1. e is just an easy one to use because the derivative of e^x is e^x, for other values you get a constant too, ln(A). Things that are just raised to the power of something have higher order derivatives that are zero. so like the third order derivative of y=x^2 is zero

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Aerosols dispersed from planes... crazy but it just might work, amazing nobody has thought of or tried this before :rolleye:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stereotype posted:

it needs to have the independent variable (x or t in the example) be the exponent, but you're right that it doesn't have to be e. y=A^x as long as A is greater than 1. e is just an easy one to use because the derivative of e^x is e^x, for other values you get a constant too, ln(A). Things that are just raised to the power of something have higher order derivatives that are zero. so like the third order derivative of y=x^2 is zero

which is why log-space is really the only worthwhile parameter space to think in

linearity is for humans with bad and small brains, many such cases

edit: the fact that e^x is its own n-th derivative should really gently caress you up if you know enough calculus to know what that means

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

mdemone posted:

which is why log-space is really the only worthwhile poorameter space to stink in

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Stereotype posted:

right, derivative of x^2 is 2x, so as x increases the derivative/slope continues to increase

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Poor-a-meter is what says "no climate aid here"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gravid Topiary posted:

speaking of which, what's the best way to up-armor a 2014 mazda 3 sedan to survive driving through wildfires? it's dark blue if that helps

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

right, derivative of x^2 is 2x, so as x increases the derivative/slope continues to increase

yes, but the second derivative is 2, and then the third is zero, so we can say that things aren’t getting worse

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

someone look into making coal plants good for the environment

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I mean ‘plant’ is right in the name, there’s gotta be a way

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Maybe they can just trap the carbon and let the other stuff out

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

just make the coal plants run backwards

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we could rename coal to natural rocks. it worked for methane

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Guys I think this under control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjkUyX0rVw

coke
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVDu_gIpc4

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjiIAaw9YQ

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just say that coal plants now run on cleanER coal. the positive vibes thus produced will obviously lower the temperature.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

saw an insect today!

a mosquito
it bit me
in december
in the pnw

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouObpi5_DFU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010