Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

SRS Cinema, they’re the ones doing the Blu-ray. They’re usually very good, this long delay is the only problem I’ve had with them.

Ordered. This thread and the Physical Media thread will be the death of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's funny when you think about it that Moby Dick(which The Whale God is sort of an adaptation of) is one of the prototypes for the Kaiju genre and that doesn't really get talked about as often as you'd think(compared to say how Frankenstein gets brought up all the time as the first piece of science fiction)

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Whales and other traditional sea monsters do fit a kaiju niche, I see what you're saying. Honestly that point pairs really well with Godzilla's attacks starting due to nuclear testing and habitat destruction. Just when we thought we'd mapped everything and cleared away the "here there be monsters", all we had really done was give them nowhere to go besides Tokyo.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

It's funny when you think about it that Moby Dick(which The Whale God is sort of an adaptation of) is one of the prototypes for the Kaiju genre and that doesn't really get talked about as often as you'd think(compared to say how Frankenstein gets brought up all the time as the first piece of science fiction)

I want a Kaiju movie where the story grinds to a hault for a lecture about doing phrenology on Godzillas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

High Warlord Zog posted:

I want a Kaiju movie where the story grinds to a hault for a lecture about doing phrenology on Godzillas

Trying to make sense out of all the godzilla skull types would drive any scientist mad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

High Warlord Zog posted:

That’s just the US version of King Kong vs Godzilla

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has What to Do With a Dead Kaiju gotten any kind of official or unofficial subbed release yet?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

That’s just the US version of King Kong vs Godzilla

There's a couple of American monster flicks that do something similar, although not many match Melville's panache.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They rarely deal with large monsters but Delicious in Dungeon has a lot of good content about butchering fantasy creatures.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Is Shin Ultraman worth a watch?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Noam Chomsky posted:

Is Shin Ultraman worth a watch?

I think it doesn't stick the ending quite as well as the original series, but it's still extremely good.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Gripweed posted:

I think it doesn't stick the ending quite as well as the original series, but it's still extremely good.

I’ll give it a watch then. Thanks!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

the actress that plays Noriko in Godzilla Minus 1 is also in Shin Kamen Rider, I think its still on amazon prime for free

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

GateOfD posted:

the actress that plays Noriko in Godzilla Minus 1 is also in Shin Kamen Rider, I think its still on amazon prime for free

That’s on my list as well. Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/arakichi1969/status/1738033957810385338?t=HskqaVyPSD4ckBTwURP9Xg&s=19

I didn't know they'd made a special color edition of the original back in 2020. I think I'll stick with the black and white but the nighttime attack with orange flames does look nice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to restore Cozzilla

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I hate to break it to you but most people aren't huge loving nerds like us.

Godzilla is famously a thing from Japan, to the point of being in multiple Simpsons episodes. I think not knowing that they made movies there is at least mildly surprising.

GateOfD posted:

Not just in it. She plays the female lead, who's basically Rei Ayanami with a shotgun.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

High Warlord Zog posted:

the secret is that when you're making a movie you can just show the thing to prove it's big.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/context1954/status/1738106318916034797?t=00_KJGtY51Rq_Zf8e0jk2Q&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also while I haven't been able to watch Legacy of Minstrels yet there's enough footage on youtube that I feel confident in asking this: what gives with the absolute non reaction faces of most people in western kaiju media? It feels like it would be one of the easiest things to do but the majority of reactions seem to mistake a blank concussion face for "paralyzed with shock and terror".

I know that a big part of it is the abuse of green screens and actors being given almost no direction for what they're reacting to because the CGI slaves won't finish the prerendering for another eight months. But it's crazy to me when you've got a scene like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ5LXqZHpU

And Wyatt Russell's face barely twitches.

And then you've got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2VaVtFYfs

Which is literally a joke but Masi Oka still gives a more believable scream.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone needs to restore Cozzilla

I love the idea of this, like where do you even begin with the colors on that flick lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Legacy of Minstrels

:aaaaa:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Godzilla is back, and this time he's problematic!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arc Hammer posted:

Also while I haven't been able to watch Legacy of Minstrels yet there's enough footage on youtube that I feel confident in asking this: what gives with the absolute non reaction faces of most people in western kaiju media? It feels like it would be one of the easiest things to do but the majority of reactions seem to mistake a blank concussion face for "paralyzed with shock and terror".

The Godzilla show is not great, but the context of that scene is that the characters have spent several days trying to attract a monster using the big radio orb thing. They’re expecting something to appear, and have no particular reason to be terrified of it.

In this case, they are also happy to see it’s Godzilla because they feel bad about helping the military to nuke him earlier in the series.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

watched a bit of Godzilla KoTM (2019) a bit, and it feels like the mcguffin of whatever that sonar thing is the bigger focus than the monsters along with the generic marriage issues of the human characters

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The sonar device symbolizes the folly of trying to impose an artificial hierarchy on nature so at least it's thematically consistent with the rest of the film's core messaging.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

More and more I really dislike monarch because a great deal of the characters are basically "The CIA is cool". I'm still not finding any of these characters likable at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

More and more I really dislike monarch because a great deal of the characters are basically "The CIA is cool". I'm still not finding any of these characters likable at all.

I was trying to keep up with it but I missed the last few episodes and I'm not sure I'll make the effort to catch up. I guess I'll wait until it finishes and see how you guys feel about it overall

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven’t gotten that far but they needed a shirizawa kind of character

Someone who is super into these things but cares and loves them. I think having just people who’s vibe are like “yeah this poo poo is just my job whatever! I gotta do it”

That’s what I got from the 3 past characters in the first episode

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly wait until it's over so that someone posts a super edit of all of the Kaiju scenes on YouTube.

Monarch is to the Godzilla series as Picard season 2 is to Star Trek.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

CelticPredator posted:

I haven’t gotten that far but they needed a shirizawa kind of character

Someone who is super into these things but cares and loves them.

Crazy Dr. Newt played that role in the first Pacific Rim but wound up joining the bad guys in the sequel because of being too into kaiju

So far Legacy of Mediocrity has been trying to be an interesting show but multigenerational Russells can only carry it so far IMHO

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I can't believe it really happened to me. I was at the comic shop and I noticed a couple standing in line behind me having an animated conversation about a Legendary Godzilla figure. The wife said "He wanted a specific one, do you think this is it?", the husband said "No, I don't know anything about Godzilla", I help up my hand and said "I know a thing or two about Godzilla"

It turned out their son had asked for a Minus One Godzilla figure. I explained that those weren't out in America yet but suggested their son might be more interested in a Japanese Godzilla than the American Godzilla, and pointed them towards the Millennium Godzilla as probably the best option out of the Godzillas available at the store, which they bought

I never thought I'd be able to use my ability to distinguish between different Godzillas to help other people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which line of figures did they have? SH Monsterarts, Hiya Toys, etc?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I initially wasn't keen on the Minus One design because of the short snout and large eyes. I thought it made him look too cute. I thought he looked like Godzilla as a Disney princess' animal sidekick. I was wrong. Those large eyes are explicitly only angry eyes. That short snout is still the size of a house. This is the hubris of man.

I mean, Heisei Godzilla had the mouth of a goddamn housecat. It was just very big.

Godzilla is big, I have decided.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Which line of figures did they have? SH Monsterarts, Hiya Toys, etc?

Sofubis and a few Monsterarts, but they were looking at Sofubis specifically. The store didn't have the Minus One Monsterarts anyway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

I can't believe it really happened to me.

dear B-Club,

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was trying to keep up with it but I missed the last few episodes and I'm not sure I'll make the effort to catch up. I guess I'll wait until it finishes and see how you guys feel about it overall

It's been more or less downhill since episode 3, and the hill wasn't too tall to begin with.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Monarch is to the Godzilla series as Picard season 2 is to Star Trek.

This is far too harsh a criticism for almost any TV show though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Sofubis and a few Monsterarts, but they were looking at Sofubis specifically. The store didn't have the Minus One Monsterarts anyway.

the monsterarts one seems bad!! i wanted it too and this review pretty much got me to steer clear. It shouldn't be this jank for 150. Maybe they got a bad one but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y87CzhfQhPU

I'll wait for the less articulated Super7 one. It's 80 bucks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I gotta be honest I don't think these guys were gonna drop 150 on even a really good Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which one did they get?