Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Beat Gnorp, it's relatively short and I won before reaching the final tier of talents.

Not a bad game but it did require me to think a bit about how each mechanic worked to meaningfully progress, and I'm sure there's a bunch of strategies I didn't stumble upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Just applied to the ironwood guild as topheryan.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is ironwood any good? Im bouncing off idle clans since there aint a lot left to do?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
You assign points to bars, they grow, you get some resources you can use to craft gear or increase other bars.
Bare minimum of decision making, hyper bland and nothing more than watching numbers rarely go up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Speaking as someone who is currently addicted to Melvor, I found Ironwood to be real bland without much of a hook beyond idling with goons to make numbers go up faster.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

Speaking as someone who is currently addicted to Melvor, I found Ironwood to be real bland without much of a hook beyond idling with goons to make numbers go up faster.

I wish melvor had clans for numbergo up but with friends.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I fiddled with the concept of time with mods this weekend and I don't feel bad. Tried it two different ways:

Accelerating time with a little panel of buttons.

Kompressing time using the parallel processing afforded by "take different actions at the same time"

It's been really cool just doing the things at this game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

tater_salad posted:

I wish melvor had clans for numbergo up but with friends.

Same, I feel like the township idea is a good opportunity for a sectioned off co-op sorta thing where people could contribute towards a goal and get some rewards like consumables or whatever but not have it be an automatic win condition if you're in the big reddit clan or whatever.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I fiddled with the concept of time with mods this weekend and I don't feel bad. Tried it two different ways:

Kompressing time using the parallel processing afforded by "take different actions at the same time"

I did the same. Everything I need to do in Melvor right now is a huge time sink, but being able to do many things at once has revitalized the game for me.

Now gear is the limiting factor. So you still have to adjust things in most of the skills and prioritize what you want to do, but the skills that are mostly passive are always going and letting me play the game more.

Malt fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 18, 2023

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Atoramos posted:

Beat Gnorp, it's relatively short and I won before reaching the final tier of talents.

Not a bad game but it did require me to think a bit about how each mechanic worked to meaningfully progress, and I'm sure there's a bunch of strategies I didn't stumble upon.

Gnorp is fun. There's something mesmerizing about generating a giant pile of shards that stretches way into the sky.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

Gnorp is fun. There's something mesmerizing about generating a giant pile of shards that stretches way into the sky.

Definitely agree. It’s not long, but figuring out synergies was fun and didn’t punish in the way a lot of incrementals can. There was no tax to it and it didn’t take long to figure out if things work together or not before, so if you want to test things it doesn’t take long.

I also really enjoyed watched the gnorps rush head first into a giant magic rock.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Same, I feel like the township idea is a good opportunity for a sectioned off co-op sorta thing where people could contribute towards a goal and get some rewards like consumables or whatever but not have it be an automatic win condition if you're in the big reddit clan or whatever.

this is what amaranthine did so well, the unfortunate part is that its not good as an idle/incremental. it has many annoyances that exist to prevent it being a proper idle/incremental game.

I've been sketching out design for a bit now about an community based idler. The premise being you can all work together and contribute to a greater whole allowing for specialization and ability to coop. I have seasons/resets as a way to ensure permanent stores are reset and ideally end goals are set by community preference and size.

i think similar to how groups will start Minecraft or Terraria or any of those survival coops.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cerepol posted:

this is what amaranthine did so well, the unfortunate part is that its not good as an idle/incremental. it has many annoyances that exist to prevent it being a proper idle/incremental game.

I've been sketching out design for a bit now about an community based idler. The premise being you can all work together and contribute to a greater whole allowing for specialization and ability to coop. I have seasons/resets as a way to ensure permanent stores are reset and ideally end goals are set by community preference and size.

i think similar to how groups will start Minecraft or Terraria or any of those survival coops.

Eco is a minecraft-like that has a bunch of what you're talking about. I don't have a deep dive analysis on hand, but there is community and numbergoup in a shared space in that game and they've had like a decade of fiddling and data. It might be worth taking a look at the patch notes for that game. Be careful of empowering nerds over other nerds, it turns tedius quick at no fault of the developer.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

KirbyKhan posted:

What mods have you been playing with specifically? Parallel processing sounds cool af.

edit: I think it found it. I kept searching for 'Time' or "Skill' but it's actually called Multitasking.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 19, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The mod is called "Multitasking" and it's on like the 3rd/4th page. Just let's all the different skills run at the same time. So playing two skills at the same time is like 2X speed, running all skills would be like a 12X speed. But because things are interdependent and sequential it plays p fun but I didn't want to cheat then fall into a deeper optimization trap of my own making.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I quite like Gnorp, though a big part of that is that I really just love these incrementals where most of the stuff is actually rendered, and not just an endless string of numbers.
Doesn't hurt that there are a bunch of cute, tiny animations.

Watching the rocket-launch guy Gnorp go from idling, occasionally pressing the button, to furiously standing on it and jumping is a joy.

e: I also really like the multiple cross-unit/building buffs.
The 'gatling guns now fire arrows instead' + 'arrows are instead rockets' + 'every 240 rockets you fire will grant the rock a debuff' working together is pretty nice.
Not entirely sure what to go for with strategies, but I do like the large talent pool, I guess I kinda prefer these shorter incrementals with concrete endings over the multi week/month/year ones.
(The only long-time one I clicked with was Structure, and that unfortunately was only developed for a short while if I recall.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 20, 2023

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I'm gonna stop playing ironwood until it resets. Anyone want to take over the clan?

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

I guess I might give Melvor Idle a try. It is free, today only, on the Epic Games Store.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shadragul posted:

I guess I might give Melvor Idle a try. It is free, today only, on the Epic Games Store.

Steam sale starts soon too

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Shadragul posted:

Just to be clear, it's free to claim today and then you can have it forever. If you think you might ever give Melvor a try, be sure to nab it today. (And Epic is giving away a free mystery game every day this week)

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/melvor-idle-b6a9b3

Not sure if you can play on phone/web with this copy, or if it only plays in the Epic launcher.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I would assume Epic is tied into the same cloud save account structure as the other versions, which if nothing else would let you use your save on mobile too.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah it's a steal at the price of free

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Farquar posted:

Just to be clear, it's free to claim today and then you can have it forever. If you think you might ever give Melvor a try, be sure to nab it today. (And Epic is giving away a free mystery game every day this week)

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/melvor-idle-b6a9b3

Not sure if you can play on phone/web with this copy, or if it only plays in the Epic launcher.

Either way, you still have the DLCs to consider if you do want to dive into Melvor.

I'm probably going to get to Impending Darkness in Melvor before I start a new profile with DLC. Maybe Adventure Mode, or some other mode that might release when I get there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
For people who played Melvor in the beta/open times, how much has it changed? I liked the concept of it then, but it was very much just a watch numbers go up and the interaction with the game became grindy without any agency in decision making. I remember needing a specific gear progression to just get through dungeons at all, and it didn’t really matter what choices you made because there were always clear optimization that needed to happen to progress. Has this changed and gotten more muddy in what’s best for what? Or is 99 fletching for dragon lances or whatever it was still the best way to make money to get dragon hides to get dragon armor to get the fire cape, etc? Are there more than one paths to go down now instead of just the one main path?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Jhet posted:

For people who played Melvor in the beta/open times, how much has it changed? I liked the concept of it then, but it was very much just a watch numbers go up and the interaction with the game became grindy without any agency in decision making. I remember needing a specific gear progression to just get through dungeons at all, and it didn’t really matter what choices you made because there were always clear optimization that needed to happen to progress. Has this changed and gotten more muddy in what’s best for what? Or is 99 fletching for dragon lances or whatever it was still the best way to make money to get dragon hides to get dragon armor to get the fire cape, etc? Are there more than one paths to go down now instead of just the one main path?

I've been playing since before they added almost anything unique to the game (vs totally cribbed from RS), and between the summoning system, township, and agility course stuff there's definitely a lot more depth than there used to be. I had a fairly established account already when all that came out, but the discussion I'm seeing from new players just starting within the last two weeks all seem to have everyone doing everything in different orders.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is this not a good guide to follow?

https://wiki.melvoridle.com/w/What_to_level_first

I'm on step 2. Been like 3 hours and I've clicked about 3 buttons since the tutorial lol.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

Please keep in mind that this guide is NOT intended to be the most efficient way to do things. There is no right or wrong way to progress in the game.

I think when I started in the wayback I just went hard on chopping down trees and burning wood because it gave extra xp.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i need to get around to doing the impending darkness event

it takes so long though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tortolia posted:

I would assume Epic is tied into the same cloud save account structure as the other versions, which if nothing else would let you use your save on mobile too.

To expand on this does anyone know if I also would need to get the expansions and stuff for mobile as well or just on the one version so I can access everything?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Harminoff posted:

Is this not a good guide to follow?

https://wiki.melvoridle.com/w/What_to_level_first

I'm on step 2. Been like 3 hours and I've clicked about 3 buttons since the tutorial lol.

I didn't follow the guide all the time. My attention span could not abide it. It is a good resource on figuring out what to idle when you end your play session.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

melvir is best as a figure it out game imo, do not read that guide for a first go as you'll fall into an efficiency trap.

the game gives lots to think about and can give analysis overload but it's been fun figuring out what works from what you can see and removing that doesn't by having the 'maximally efficient' answer is going to poison you against following your own path and forming it your own solutions, improvements etc

The big thing is how everything is tied together re skill interactions and making your own path to your own goals. Township and casual tasks are good for providing short and long-term goals with rewards

if you don't enjoy that sort of analysis overload and breadth then melvor wont be for you and following guides to be maximal makes it into a rote boring game where the rng will start to frustrate you long before end game finishing out the collection era

edit: here are my mods, basically i think the Best Info Mods and QOL are non-negotiable but ofc ymmv

Best Info Mods:
ETA - Fantastic mod, it gives you ETAs to hit target skill levels by hovering over the xp/h, mxp/hr, pool/hr stats. You can customize the target per skill and also shows how much of that resource you'd need to do so. Great for overnight planning and for saving 8hr+ tasks till then
Item Uses - Shows what the uses for any particular item are (annoyingly you have to know or check the wiki by default)
Show Item Sources And Uses - A little more comprehensive as it also shows sources (needs an additional click to show which is why I use Item Uses above which is on main screen when you select an item)
Show Skill Modifiers - Lets you click XP/Master/Interval icons to see complete listing of your skill bonuses for any skill
Tiny Icons - Puts tiny skill icons next to passives, nice visual indicator of what it will affect
[Myth] Sidebar - Shows XP progress for that level on the sidebar, also lets you hide each category similar to combat

Personal Choice Info Mods:
Reveal Unlocks - Shows you level-locked content alongside the level it would be unlocked at, can be useful for figuring out what skill target to hit
Combat Indicators - Gives indicators on the health bar for max hit, auto eat and option to change colour if you could die
SEMI Drop Chances - Shows thieving/combat/artefact drop chances
Shop Item Owned Indicator - Indicates if you own an item from the shop (like skillcapes etc)

Best Quality of Life Mods:
QuickShards - Lets you single click buy an amount of shards necessary to create that many summoning tablets (IMO basically necessary if you ever interact with summoning which you should)
Better Summoning Menu - Only shows synergies that would affect the current skill when opening the summoning menu
Will I Die? - Lets you target any mob/dungeon and figure out if you'll die with your DR and autoeat vs their damages

Personal QoL Mods:
Reveal Thieving Loot - Lets you see what you can steal off targets without having to have stolen it once
Floating Items - Pin items to the UI so you can quickly reference them or check counts etc.
Bank Tab Icons - Adds 0 cost icons to the shop for setting up your bank tab icons
Shining Star - Gives various graphic changes to constellations depending on if they are semi-maxed or fully maxed
Quick Donate Artefacts - Lets you donate all undonated artefacts with one click (marginally useful only when first running archaeology)

Others to keep in mind:
Item Descriptions Expanded - Just adds item descriptions to the game, seems fine and adds a little but i haven't seen/vetted them at all
[Myth] Combat Simulator - Really lets you simulate the combat for any specific scenario. Handy for theorizing some things. Uses game data and simulating large amounts will take time
SEMI Auto Master - If you find mastery management an absolute slog/chore then might as well use this, it will make mastering individual things in skills much faster when you are filling the mastery pool constantly.
SEMI Auto Sell - Setup and autosell garbage you dont need, note: there is use for junk items from fishing or generic artefacts
Skilling Closet - Lets you setup presets for each skill that you can then equip with a button - This is not adding 'equipment swaps' which are spare inventory but instead just apply the preset to your current slot when clicked
Skill Boosts - Tired of trying to remember/find the item that gives you a boost in this skill and you forgot to pin it in quick equip? This mod gives you a dropdown which lists everything that can affect the skill as well as if you have it equipped/available/able to get but dont have/locked behind/
Skip Township Casual Tasks For Free - Not sure why there is a Gold cost associated with skipping considering there is already the opportunity cost of not doing the task and needing to wait for a new one to roll anyways. Up to you if you care enough, im never gonna do that particular task anyways and having a slot permanently taken up because im too cheap is annoying

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 21, 2023

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
There’s surely ways to be more efficient in Melvor, but I agree you should just try to figure out what you want to do as you go, and if you’re uncertain about specific details or where to get an item, check the wiki then. I’ve spoken with probably a dozen different folks over the last week or two poking at Melvor and we’re all approaching things differently and it’s going fine, particularly since everyone is going to have different items they want to play with.

The one guide that might be worth looking at after you are a bit more embedded is the combat guide on the wiki; it’s out of date, but can point you towards particular crafted or dropped items for your different combat sets that can help direct your farming a bit.

It’s a game that if you aren’t playing on Hardcore is difficult to actually screw up to any real degree; worst case you just have to go farm or craft extra things.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Manyorcas posted:

I've been playing since before they added almost anything unique to the game (vs totally cribbed from RS), and between the summoning system, township, and agility course stuff there's definitely a lot more depth than there used to be. I had a fairly established account already when all that came out, but the discussion I'm seeing from new players just starting within the last two weeks all seem to have everyone doing everything in different orders.

Is mid and late game progression in a different place as well? I bounced off it before it went paid, and there weren’t many options for the late game dungeons which caused me to bounce off it. It was a collect this set of gear or you won’t get through the dungeon.

The order of mining/woodcutting/farming doesn’t make a difference to me in this case, it was the lack of options after spending 20 weeks grinding up the mundane skills. I think I set it down with 5 or 6 of the mastery capes even if those still exist.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Crell posted:

I'm gonna stop playing ironwood until it resets. Anyone want to take over the clan?

Reset?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I assume that referring to the fact that it's technically in Alpha.

quote:

Ironwood RPG is currently in the Alpha stage (unreleased). There will be many frequent changes made to the core mechanics of the game. Once the game is released, there will be a player data reset and all Alpha players that have linked accounts will be rewarded with an in-game cosmetic prize (TBD) based on their account progress.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I've bounced off Melvor a couple of times. I'll go through the tutorial and be asked to make Logs into Arrow Shafts and Arrow Heads and combine those to make Arrows and I'm like oh god this is a lot

this time I've soldiered past my dislike of arrow mechanics and got to the first Auto-Eat so maybe I'll stick with it

but then I lost 2+ hours of active-ish play thanks to its stingy assed cloud saves

I don't know why it doesn't cloud save every minute, do they have to pay Steam per-use?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
For anyone interested in Melvor, it looks like once you've gotten it from Epic and made your account that you can then just sign in on the website and never have to futz with the standalone version again.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Looks like i am finished with this genre. Been playing since 2012 or so? Mine Defense was the first game that truly got me in (tried cookie clicker but it didnt engage)

Haven’t really played much the last year, though grabbed Melvor when it was free now hoping it would rekindle my interest. It held my attention for like 10 minutes and didn’t grab my attention at all.

Apparently i have watched enough numbers go up.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Looks like i am finished with this genre. Been playing since 2012 or so? Mine Defense was the first game that truly got me in (tried cookie clicker but it didnt engage)

Haven’t really played much the last year, though grabbed Melvor when it was free now hoping it would rekindle my interest. It held my attention for like 10 minutes and didn’t grab my attention at all.

Apparently i have watched enough numbers go up.

Congratulations on beating the genre!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Zteuer posted:

Congratulations on beating the genre!

Now it's time to prestige