Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I miss using it to strip armor off enemies when I've got like a Slardar or Venge on the team. Or even just to speed up Rosh.

But a 400 HP shield and 70 Attack Speed is nuts. Just lost that last game due to a terrible draft but at least it was fun using Penitence + Crest + Sniper's Mask of Madness to turn his rifle into a fully automatic machine gun

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
mana boots -> solar crest -> force staff -> drums/boots of bearing is my default support build now, as long as we don't screw up the draft and forget to pick a single right click core

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
How do you deal with Sniper in low-skill games? People just run into him and feed over and over. I usually ban him, but when he gets through I have trouble as a support. I get glimmer, and sometimes if the farm is good I get blademail and let him kill himself. Is there something I can use to help a core kill him? I try forcestaffing the core to him but they end up dying anyways.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

How do you deal with Sniper in low-skill games? People just run into him and feed over and over. I usually ban him, but when he gets through I have trouble as a support. I get glimmer, and sometimes if the farm is good I get blademail and let him kill himself. Is there something I can use to help a core kill him? I try forcestaffing the core to him but they end up dying anyways.

Are you making Solar Crest? Item’s kinda broken in general right now but will let your cores soak more damage on approach if they insist on just running straight in. Sniper also really hates playing into anyone who can deny his positioning advantage like Spirit Breaker.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd say any high mobility hero is the trick, or heroes with a strong Blink initiation. Mars, Tide hunter, any of the Spirit heroes.

Am alternative, as a support player, is to pick like Witch Doctor and just throw a cask + Maledict + Death Ward and delete that runt before he can react. Shadow Shaman is decent too because you can blink in, encase him in your Wards and then Shackle / Hex him.

Vengeful Spirit ult is also good, but honestly the range at rank 1 isn't especially impressive and sometimes it can feel like Game Over by the time you finally get rank 2.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.35b

Solar Crest
Armor bonus decreased from +6 to +4
All Attributes bonus decreased from +6 to +4
Shine Mana Cost increased from 0 to 100
No longer grants bonus movement speed nor attack speed when cast on self (same as armor)

RIP

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Bloodstone is also dead now. And also Leshrac, who was both a Bloodstone buyer and the subject of several more nerfs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the medusa change also ended the eternal shroud immortality against magic damage, as predicted :v:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

IcePhoenix posted:

the medusa change also ended the eternal shroud immortality against magic damage, as predicted :v:

RIP. It needed it though. I played Medusa vs Zeus and Skywrath. Only significant non magic damage they had was Razor. I basically stood in front while they tried to kill my teammates.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
Hi I'm back

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

:stare:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wow RiP Leshrac. The Bloodstone nerf is brutal for him

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

tcjimbo posted:

Hi I'm back

Welcome back brudda what are you playing now?

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

Chopstix posted:

Welcome back brudda what are you playing now?

Centaur, Necro, Jakiro

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Good to hear, you should start playing with us.

DNK I dont know why but you have a lot of local mutual friends with me, I need to ask you about em.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do you view the combat log thing in a replay?

https://i.imgur.com/IXyogce.mp4

I cannot figure out why my zoo got chunked here. I don't think they're in range of his Ground Slam (350 Radius) and even if they are, it looks like they lose HP before he actually finishes the pound animation?

:shrug:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

How do you view the combat log thing in a replay?

https://i.imgur.com/IXyogce.mp4

I cannot figure out why my zoo got chunked here. I don't think they're in range of his Ground Slam (350 Radius) and even if they are, it looks like they lose HP before he actually finishes the pound animation?

:shrug:

Roshan does a roar after he's been killed if the same team that killed him aggros him again, does aoe damage

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TIL. How long has that been a thing?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

New in 7.35, designed to make it harder to keep taking rosh but im not sure how effective it's been

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
I love getting Russians queued up in US servers who just spam chat and ping incessantly. Somehow Russians ruin every online game, every online team game I know of has people complaining about their toxic Russian teammates

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Been doing really great with QoP mid this patch. Making Witchblade and Veil upgradable really did wonders for her, allowing her to buy cost effective items early that transition into some very nice lategame options.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I apparently have 5 games on QoP, my last game being over 9 years ago. Maybe I should try her; I do love my Rotund Jerry when I have to mid but I've been getting a little tired of him lately. And while he does well in most match ups, the ones he loses BOY is he unfun.

fake edit; omg queues are so long this morning where is everybody!!!!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It's Christmas my man

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:thejoke:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Rip. After I posted it I knew that was coming.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I've been playing 4/5 but I'm wanting to learn a few cores. I've done 5 or so games of Faceless Void. Is it just me or is he complete useless early game? I'm always like 3-4 levels behind the other cores, and I can't do any thing but farm. Once I get MoM and Maelstrom, though, he blows up.

I have a ton of trouble with that first 25 minutes, if I dont' lane aggressively I get no farm and it takes forever to get to the farming items, but if I push I end up dying.

Any tips? I think that I need to skip boots and wand, go wraith band, stick, and then just rush MoM and get out of lane and jungle, popping out when Chrono is off cool down. For the build, it seems that it's best to go 1-1-4, just to farm faster, and then get all the non-distilation talents since that never seems super useful.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Void's generally played as a hard carry (safelane) and absolutely needs a lot of farm. You're right that he's useless early, and you're also right that you should just be off hitting creeps and maybe ganking if/when Chrono is up.

I don't really play carry often, but my starting items would probably be a Quelling Blade, the components of a Wraith Band and some regen. Finish the Band, get brown boots, a Stick if you desperately need it (you should be able to Time Walk off most lane harassment if your support doesn't suck) and then MoM/Maelstrom to farm with.

Late game, a Refresher Orb is really really good on him for Double BKB / Double Chrono

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sab669 posted:

Void's generally played as a hard carry (safelane) and absolutely needs a lot of farm. You're right that he's useless early, and you're also right that you should just be off hitting creeps and maybe ganking if/when Chrono is up.

I don't really play carry often, but my starting items would probably be a Quelling Blade, the components of a Wraith Band and some regen. Finish the Band, get brown boots, a Stick if you desperately need it (you should be able to Time Walk off most lane harassment if your support doesn't suck) and then MoM/Maelstrom to farm with.

Late game, a Refresher Orb is really really good on him for Double BKB / Double Chrono

I play FV a fair amount (caveat: Turbo) and this is generally how I start. On top of what Sab mentioned I should note that his aghs scepter is just as fun (or more so) than it looks but you have to resist the siren song because there are far too many other items on him that are better. But if you get in a position to grab the blessing then go hog wild.

But if you ever get a game long enough to buy a blessing (or grab it from Roshan) you should do it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh I'd also add, something that's important to develop a sense for: The threat of Chrono is almost as powerful as Chrono itself. Just because it's up, you don't have to use it. Learning that restraint and not just blowing it at any half-decent looking opportunity is definitely a great thing to learn. This is true of most long cooldown abilities; so often I'll see a Silencer pop Global just because they're gonna die and it's such a loving waste.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think that I need to skip boots and wand,

It is often tempting to skip boots on a hard 1 to get to farming items faster and it is almost never worth it. Boots give you movement speed to hopefully escape ganks, and honestly just as importantly move you from camp to camp faster after clearing the wave.

It isn't going to feel impactful but it really is

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 28, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Skipping boots is a newbs game. I like a stick/wand on fv because he can ignore so much damage with time walk. You should be able to have a hefty stack of charges and it often will secure a kill on overeager sups.

Midas works well for void as well and can help you hit that +40 time lock damage earlier which is a really nice power spike.

flashman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 28, 2023

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

flashman posted:

Skipping boots is a newbs game. I like a stick/wand on fv because he can ignore so much damage with time walk. You should be able to have a hefty stack of charges and it often will secure a kill on overeager sups.

Midas works well for void as well and can help you hit that +40 time lock damage earlier which is a really nice power spike.

I didn't mean skipping browns, I mean skipping the upgrade.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Once you've hit 6 on void, try farm near your team so you can react to any team fight because chrono is a team fight winning spell. It's also super important that if you do use chrono, don't over commit to the fight. Most times killing someone in the chrono and leaving to go back to farm is the best option. Just gotta hope your teams on the same page and also leave the fight once all their spells are blown.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Once you've hit 6 on void, try farm near your team so you can react to any team fight because chrono is a team fight winning spell. It's also super important that if you do use chrono, don't over commit to the fight. Most times killing someone in the chrono and leaving to go back to farm is the best option. Just gotta hope your teams on the same page and also leave the fight once all their spells are blown.

On this note: something I've started doing is just constantly pinging my chrono cooldown in the early game when I don't have enough items to actually contribute to a teamfight, especially when I see my team gathering like they want to fight. Even at my lowass skill bracket people generally get the idea. Sometimes they fight anyway but they don't get mad at me as much when they lose and I was still farming on the other side of the map instead of TPing in

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I didn't mean skipping browns, I mean skipping the upgrade.

Power treads too strong bro

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah on void even skipping treads feels like a mistake they're basically made for him

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Holding chrono for psychological warfare or a big teamfight is fine, but also don't be afraid to use it for a solo kill if it will swing the map balance and let you get back to farming or taking rosh or making it easier to high ground.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Cast Chronosphere when it will make your opponent the maddest that you cast Chronosphere on them

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Remember 5 man chronos don't need to be enemy heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I assume many of you don't read Reddit but if not, don't gently caress around with the new behavior score system. I don't know whether the system is good or bad or even working as intended but you lose behavior score at about the rate you'd expect, but you get it back extremely slowly for good behavior.