Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Guy A. Person posted:

I've said this before but we never really got past the "you expected yellow spandex?" joke from X-Men in 2000, from a script that was "punched up" by Joss Whedon. Like sure, now we've gotten to the point where super heroes will actually wear some of their iconic costumes, but the movies have to be constantly letting you know that they are in on the joke, that hey we all get it, this is silly looking poo poo!

It's one thing to embrace the campiness, but what the MCU has created is this tone where everyone has to be joking in the most "mugging for the camera" way to undercut not just the emotional aspects of the movie but even the already comical aspects of the movie like "holy poo poo this guy's actual name is Octavius and he cosplays as an octopus!" when like, duh, that was already a joke.

Imagine being worse at writing jokes than Stan Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vegeta: I am prince Vegeta and this is my friend Nappa, prepare to die Kakarot!
Krillin: Is this a rogues gallery or a shopping list?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rubber breakfast. Honest.

Batman waving a teflon frying pan in Robin's face

"This is the tool of the enemy! We do not use it!"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWX9B4HYiUc

A decent review of Rebel Moon as well as talking about Zack Snyder as a filmmaker. I put it here instead of the Rebel Moon thread because of a question I have. It's an even-handed video and you come away with basically what the video says, he's neither Snyder's biggest fan or hater and likes that Snyder makes films that feel distinctly his. I don't agree with some of the criticisms leveled against Snyder but I do have a problem with something he said. Not so much him or what was said but I'm hoping someone smarter than I am can explain what he means by this:

In the video he says "a film with no real connective tissue" and I've seen this leveled against Snyder before when talking about his other films, and these were from people who generally liked the films too so it's not just nitpicks from people who hate him for some reason. Like Snyder makes films of disparate images and/or that it feels like a series of events more than having a natural flow. I have some issues with Snyder's editing choices in various films I've seen of his but I've never had issues following a sequence of events that move the story and characters along so I can't think of an example of how it doesn't have "connective tissue". Can anyone who may have felt this way or knows what this means give an example from Snyder's film? A counter-example?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think about BvS theatrical for a simple example of that. In order to reduce the runtime, the cuts included basic structural things like establishing shots. The purpose of an establishing shot is to indicate that the following scene takes place in a different location than the preceding one, rather than a different-looking part of the same location. Without announcing that information, "where is this scene taking place?" becomes a sort of riddle. It's not a difficult riddle, especially for an attentive viewer, but there's no point in it being a riddle in the first place. It's just not an interesting question. So normally it's not even asked.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's one thing that I've seen and I'm not sure if it's what this guy is talking about which is that Snyder expects you to follow along in whatever cinematic analogy he's building.

The extended thesis of Clark Kent growing up constantly being overwhelmed by his senses. The parallel of Bruce Wayne's BvS journey as that of the collective American psyche post 9/11. A lot of other examples.

If you follow, everything makes sense, one scene flows into the next, no problem.

If you don't see it, you feel disconnected from the narrative that's being built

Just being told that that's the analogy might not help, you have to have thought about it at least 1 layer in, ahead of time. It helps if that's the life you already live, like the desperate need for Pa Kent to keep his Dreamer son under the radar.

I think of it like a divergent way to engage.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 21, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I think about BvS theatrical for a simple example of that. In order to reduce the runtime, the cuts included basic structural things like establishing shots. The purpose of an establishing shot is to indicate that the following scene takes place in a different location than the preceding one, rather than a different-looking part of the same location. Without announcing that information, "where is this scene taking place?" becomes a sort of riddle. It's not a difficult riddle, especially for an attentive viewer, but there's no point in it being a riddle in the first place. It's just not an interesting question. So normally it's not even asked.

That's what I thought at first but then I've seen it also leveled against Man of Steel and the Snyder Cut (honestly, his Superman films are the only times I've really was interested in the criticisms, as hard as decent ones were to find that didn't devolve into canon gatekeeping or pearl clutching over fallen pearls or 9/11 imagery) so I'm left scratching my head. There are some edits in all three of those films that feel abrupt (a cut scene) or give things a weird flow but they happen very sparingly.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Turpitude posted:

I made it to 10 years post this summer. I know exactly what you are talking about. Funny how they made sure that the voices of the chronically ill and immunosuppressed people had no place in the policy discussions. I lost a bunch of friends who went psycho over being asked to wear a mask or get vaccinated. But probably psychically worse was north american society deciding i was expendable. Big hugs to you :glomp:

hey! whats up, flesh golem buddy! 10 years is amazing, I am so glad to hear you have made it that far! Keep up the great work!

I am super lucky living in Western Australia, as when covid hit our state premier went full juche and we isolated ourselves from the rest of the world and could live comparatively normal lives while the rest of Australia (and the world) collapsed. But it did mean along with seeing the rest of the world debate whether masks and vaccines are worth it and shouldn't those pesky sick people just work and/or die so I can get a hair cut? we also got to see from within WA the rest of Australia screaming at us for having a mostly normal existence while their states struggled.

Helping to run an election campaign at the height of the pandemic was an interesting experience, lots of doorknocking and voter contact etc (we could do doorknocking due to basically having zero cases in the state for the longest time) and honestly most people were cool with things like masks and vaccines and work from home mandates. I was campaigning in the inner city lefty latte sipping belt though. I did have a good friend, who I have managed campaigns for her before, who melted down over our parties policy on masks & vaccinations, quit and ran for election with a neo-nazi party, so yeah that was loving fun.

This is a bit too aus-pol though, to bring it back to Snyderchat unfortunately I won't get the chance to watch Rebel Moon tonight as I am going to the cinemas to watch Gremlins 2, but hopefully can watch it tomorrow. Need to rewatch something like Dawn of the Dead or see if Snyders owl movie is still on streaming to watch before I head out tonight.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

This is a bit too aus-pol though, to bring it back to Snyderchat unfortunately I won't get the chance to watch Rebel Moon tonight as I am going to the cinemas to watch Gremlins 2, but hopefully can watch it tomorrow. Need to rewatch something like Dawn of the Dead or see if Snyders owl movie is still on streaming to watch before I head out tonight.

I think it's on BINGE if you have that. BINGE is good but it sucks to give FOX money. We get it through some circuitous couponing my partner loves to do. Also, congrats on being in WA for COVID, it was difficult here in Sydney.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
When Man of Steel first released I do remember feeling like it felt cut up after having watched it. Like scenes didn’t really blend or transition into each other smoothly. But after rewatching it years later and just recently I don’t feel that way anymore. I think it flows fine and not jarring in the slightest. So I dunno! Maybe it’s just an editing style that has to get used to after seeing it.

I do really enjoy Snyder’s aesthetic and appreciate his ideas and the way he gets them across, even if I may not like every film or some choices, I respect the vision.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CineD Discord Rebel Moon premiere stream going up in a bit!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

well why not posted:

I think it's on BINGE if you have that. BINGE is good but it sucks to give FOX money. We get it through some circuitous couponing my partner loves to do. Also, congrats on being in WA for COVID, it was difficult here in Sydney.

gently caress it, rewatching Man Of Steel.

Even the first few moments into the movie I already get shivers because Zimmer score is so loving good. I saw Zimmer when he was in Perth, and both the Man of Steel and Wonder Woman soundtrack parts were incredible. Even when Zimmers works don't really have a distinct melody like what some of say John Williams more memorable scores have, things like Man of Steel, when you see it performed live its just this giant sonic wall of texture and emotions, its wonderful.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Zimmer's tone-wall style is great, you can really tell when it's him. It's not the most melodic score ever made, but then Flight kicks in and ...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DuhSal posted:

When Man of Steel first released I do remember feeling like it felt cut up after having watched it. Like scenes didn’t really blend or transition into each other smoothly. But after rewatching it years later and just recently I don’t feel that way anymore. I think it flows fine and not jarring in the slightest. So I dunno! Maybe it’s just an editing style that has to get used to after seeing it.
A lot of the flashbacks in MoS use transitions that remind me of Lost, where the sound and everything leads to a kind of "pop" or jarring sensation when you come back to the present. I think that does a good job of intentionally expressing how Clark is stuck thinking about his past for a lot of the movie

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

gently caress it, rewatching Man Of Steel.

Even the first few moments into the movie I already get shivers because Zimmer score is so loving good. I saw Zimmer when he was in Perth, and both the Man of Steel and Wonder Woman soundtrack parts were incredible. Even when Zimmers works don't really have a distinct melody like what some of say John Williams more memorable scores have, things like Man of Steel, when you see it performed live its just this giant sonic wall of texture and emotions, its wonderful.

I flew to LA to see him and top two concert Ive ever been to (Ive seen John Williams and Prince as examples).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

CineD Discord Rebel Moon premiere stream going up in a bit!

Direct link it if you can. My Discord stuff is all messed up.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Darko posted:

I flew to LA to see him and top two concert Ive ever been to (Ive seen John Williams and Prince as examples).

I think I remember you posting about the Williams concert, was that the one that had Speilberg there introducing and talking about Williams music?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Rebel Moon was okay. It was really obviously cut down by at least an hour, desperately needing more character development for the team. Netflix insisting on a 2 hour cut was not wise.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Waiting for the director's cut in light of all the scenes with ostensibly interesting/powerful characters who just... stand around. So much wasted potential where we could see them interact, chip in some more action during certain bits, maybe show off how the posse's level of influence/intimidation grows over time.

Did the CGI look unfinished to anyone else in a few shots? I'm thinking specifically of a sequence where a bunch of starfighters zip past overhead and look too out of synch with the surrounding environment/lighting to even pretend to be there.

The cast all range from decent to good, thankfully. My only casting nitpick is the big bad at the end, who seemed rather mundane compared to everyone else we met along the way, but there's an extended cut and entire sequel to handle that.

Snyder's still got a great eye for action and environment, the "he shoots scenes just to look cool" takes sound as willfully antagonistic as Brian De Palma haters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

Direct link it if you can. My Discord stuff is all messed up.

Ayy, sorry I missed this! I was already well invested in Rebel Moon at that point, haha. I am streaming the movie again tonight though, same time 9PM central.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Space Fish posted:

"he shoots scenes just to look cool" .

it’s much better when scenes in space opera look mundane and uninteresting. they should look like Spotlight. I have the mind of a dog.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Space Fish posted:

Waiting for the director's cut in light of all the scenes with ostensibly interesting/powerful characters who just... stand around. So much wasted potential where we could see them interact, chip in some more action during certain bits, maybe show off how the posse's level of influence/intimidation grows over time.
I didn't find the cinematic universe super compelling and groundbreaking, because I've seen sci-fi movies before. This could have been fixed with all the character development they cut out.

Kind of sick of watching Snyder's movies with asterisks. "Uhhh but the director's cut." That's not the audience's problem, especially when you're trying to introduce a new IP to them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

DuhSal posted:

I do really enjoy Snyder’s aesthetic and appreciate his ideas and the way he gets them across, even if I may not like every film or some choices, I respect the vision.

If you aren't feeling a film or if your attention gets caught on something that you can't shake it's very easy to just not have the cinema of it all work for you, imo, and all the cuts and transitions are just reaffirming how not on board you are.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Roman posted:

I didn't find the cinematic universe super compelling and groundbreaking, because I've seen sci-fi movies before. This could have been fixed with all the character development they cut out.

Kind of sick of watching Snyder's movies with asterisks. "Uhhh but the director's cut." That's not the audience's problem, especially when you're trying to introduce a new IP to them.

Probably could have made time for that without all the incredibly dumb slow mo.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Why are you watching a Synder film if you don’t like slow mo. It’s like watching Wes Anderson and hating symmetry. It comes with the territory and it’s best to embrace if you want to enjoy the films.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don’t want to cure cancer enjoy his films! I want to turn people into dinosuars complain about slo-mo!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, slo-mo is a feature, not a bug. It's his style. It's fine that it's not to your taste but that's just an accepted reality when you watch a Zack Snyder film. Like checkplease mentioned, it's like accepting that there will be pastels and symmetrically framed shots in a Wes Anderson film.

Only film that didn't have it was Man of Steel but it still had a distinct Zack Snyder style to it. That one was an experiment to see what a more "mainstream" blockbuster film from Zack Snyder would look like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m gonna be Rebel Mooning it up tomorrow.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, slo-mo is a feature, not a bug. It's his style. It's fine that it's not to your taste but that's just an accepted reality when you watch a Zack Snyder film. Like checkplease mentioned, it's like accepting that there will be pastels and symmetrically framed shots in a Wes Anderson film.

Only film that didn't have it was Man of Steel but it still had a distinct Zack Snyder style to it. That one was an experiment to see what a more "mainstream" blockbuster film from Zack Snyder would look like.
BvS only had 4 shots in slo-mo that I can think of: the Waynes deaths, the Batmobile hitting Superman, the Batmobile crashing through the boat, and Luthor entering the Kyrptonian ship.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mr. Apollo posted:

BvS only had 4 shots in slo-mo that I can think of: the Waynes deaths, the Batmobile hitting Superman, the Batmobile crashing through the boat, and Luthor entering the Kyrptonian ship.

it's fascist to have more than 2, snyderrrrrr :argh:

- direct quote from the seminal work for understanding movies, Save The Cat

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

It happened whenever Bruce had a nighmare (not to be confused with his Kightmare) and when Superman is saving the child from the burning building too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

Theres a bunch of ramping shots though, especially the shell casings shot Snyder loves to do so much.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jimbot posted:

It happened whenever Bruce had a nighmare (not to be confused with his Kightmare) and when Superman is saving the child from the burning building too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Theres a bunch of ramping shots though, especially the shell casings shot Snyder loves to do so much.

Right, yes, I forgot about those.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Maybe the dream was taking place in slow-motion in Bruce's mind, making it actually real-time in the movie

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

We should have another Snyderathon in the lead-up to Part 2 of Rebel Moon. Last time we had one of those it was really fun.

Martman posted:

Maybe the dream was taking place in slow-motion in Bruce's mind, making it actually real-time in the movie

:hmmyes:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol Zack Snyder’s the reason Dave Gibbons’ wife finally read Watchmen.

https://twitter.com/ComicDeepDive/status/1737835197180346579?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I fuckin love the catholics aliens supporting the fascists. they are all just chillin in the back of every scene their bros are in

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 23, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Literally got called an objectivist for bringing up Rebel Moon today in the context of the weird way Netflix is handling its release, I love the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rebel Moon Part 1 friday night stream is about to start in the CineD Discord :toot:

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Literally got called an objectivist for bringing up Rebel Moon today in the context of the weird way Netflix is handling its release, I love the internet

:sickos: