Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Urgh I’m feeling the constant meltdowns over nothing.
“I want monster trucks!”
Ok, I put on monster trucks
“I want Zombie”
I put a best of zombie video
“No I want grave digger!”
But then it has to specifically be the blippi episode with grave digger.
I’m about to have my own drat meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

remigious posted:

Urgh I’m feeling the constant meltdowns over nothing.
“I want monster trucks!”
Ok, I put on monster trucks
“I want Zombie”
I put a best of zombie video
“No I want grave digger!”
But then it has to specifically be the blippi episode with grave digger.
I’m about to have my own drat meltdown.

This except substitute my own kids weird specific poo poo:

"Ice cream kitty cat Christmas tree" - the first Gabby's Dollhouse Xmas special
"Kitty cat pool Christmas swimming" - the second one

"Bolf" song - "Give that Wolf a Banana" song
Robot song - "Harder Better Faster Stronger" by daft punk
David Bowie - specifically "Modern Love" god help me if I put something else on
And like 10-12 different weird rear end names for songs she has totally made up

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Oodles posted:

I’ll have my wife’s brother and sister and all their children staying nearby. And they’ll all want to do activities during the day, as they’re older and have less children than me.

I don’t want to take my family of six out for sushi, or go to the cinema. Can we go do cheap stuff? Like walking, it’s free.

hiking is my go to. they get to maybe get mauled by bears at worst and tired at best, also free in the US. Everything else costs money. I just looked at Disneyland tickets for the grandparents and holy moly they want a kidney

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This is the most unrealistic game of cops and robbers ever.

He's refusing to accept any bribes

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Got woken up at 5am on my birthday by my 2.5 old jumping on my face yelling HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

But mostly because my wife couldn’t wait any longer to tell anyone that number 2 is on the way :3:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cais posted:

Got woken up at 5am on my birthday by my 2.5 old jumping on my face yelling HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

But mostly because my wife couldn’t wait any longer to tell anyone that number 2 is on the way :3:

Aww congratulations

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

apple is apple. plum is also apple. banana is apple. orange is orange.

lemon is also apple

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

hallo spacedog posted:

This except substitute my own kids weird specific poo poo:

"Ice cream kitty cat Christmas tree" - the first Gabby's Dollhouse Xmas special
"Kitty cat pool Christmas swimming" - the second one

"Bolf" song - "Give that Wolf a Banana" song
Robot song - "Harder Better Faster Stronger" by daft punk
David Bowie - specifically "Modern Love" god help me if I put something else on
And like 10-12 different weird rear end names for songs she has totally made up

Lol, at least when my kids say "Dancing Legs" the video for Herbie Hancock's Rockit has goddamn dancing legs in it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One of my kid's favorite songs is actually one I co-wrote and it's called Lemon Bounce but my daughter calls it Apple Jump and laughs really hard

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

apple is apple. plum is also apple. banana is apple. orange is orange.

lemon is also apple

In which language though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

harperdc posted:

Kid still has like 90% English vocabulary even though he's getting 90% Chinese. Only specific words that we only do in Chinese together (hug, blanket, milk) are Chinese to him.

I think he gets more words from Miss Rachel than his actual daycare teachers.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Sweeper posted:

Does anyone have any experience with suppositories for getting medicine into a 1 year old who just hates the syringe? She screams and violently twists around when I get it to her mouth. I have to hold her mouth open and squeeze her cheeks to make sure she doesn’t just spit the medicine all out. Overall it sucks and breaks my heart

In regards to syringes, we have some success with paracetamol and ibuprofen if we take a sip first. If we both take a bit first, baby is more likely to have some, 0.1ml never hurt anyone. Or you could just pretend, but deep down they know.

Also giving baby the sticky remnants of an old syringe to play with (in between actual medication) got her sticking it in her mouth herself. It was much easier once we got over that hurdle, although some antibiotics liquid flavour is awful and we had a lot of that spat back up in protest.

I think the stickiness is the worst part, if you don't catch it it gets on their hands and neck and onesie, smells strong, and stays sticky for hours.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I was not prepared for my currently-pottytraining three year old to look me in the eyes and very seriously tell me that she wants to watch poop come out of my butt.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Inferior Third Season posted:

I was not prepared for my currently-pottytraining three year old to look me in the eyes and very seriously tell me that she wants to watch poop come out of my butt.

If she can't see it happen, how will she know you're telling the truth when you say everybody poops?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

harperdc posted:

You kid, but in French, potatoes are called pommes de terre, which is apples of the earth. In German/Dutch/Nordics, Orange (the fruit) is called appelsin, which means Chinese apple.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Inferior Third Season posted:

Same boat

Happened at 5am today and his face was so goddamn serious

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I can't put enough attention into my son. He always wants more! I am finite, please

This is really tough! On one hand, I'm glad our daughter loves our attention. On the other hand, god almighty please learn to self-entertain already.

I understand why people have kids young; there's just not enough energy to go around when you're 40+ and have a 3 yr old.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Mealtime has become a war of attrition. We are reduced to negotiating with a terrorist. The terrorist always wins.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The toddler has finally ended her obsession with Cocomelon after 1.5 years :toot:

She replaced it with Pinkfong. Baby steps, I guess. :sigh:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Aside from my manager, nobody on my team has kids. We shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years, and it has been such a struggle to make my upcoming week sound even remotely interesting or fun, or even that I’m looking forward to it.

I’m imminently moving with two kids under 5 and managing a renovation. Please, please, please don’t tell me how you’re planning to curl up with a cup of hot cocoa and catch up on some good books.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Sundae posted:

I understand why people have kids young; there's just not enough energy to go around when you're 40+ and have a 3 yr old.

I turned 38 2 weeks after our 2nd was born.

I'm so tired. I can't imagine what it's gonna be like when I'm 48 and they are just getting to the teenage years :negative:

Slaan posted:

Babyfins

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Do do dododo do do

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Slaan posted:

The toddler has finally ended her obsession with Cocomelon after 1.5 years :toot:

We are going through the exact same thing! I think cocomelon was more palatable :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bolind posted:

You kid, but in French, potatoes are called pommes de terre, which is apples of the earth. In German/Dutch/Nordics, Orange (the fruit) is called appelsin, which means Chinese apple.

yeah I asked because I believe Gout has a bilingual situation like I do. my little one is speaking mostly her mother tongue but has picked up "No" and "bye bye" pretty well. She charms my dad with "Good morning" as well.

BadSamaritan posted:

Aside from my manager, nobody on my team has kids. We shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years, and it has been such a struggle to make my upcoming week sound even remotely interesting or fun, or even that I’m looking forward to it.

a year/two years ago my team at work was a manager with one toddler and another due, and another woman on my team in the same situation, and me trying with my wife (and then succeeding). After a re-shuffle earlier this year, my manager is a 40-ish bachelor, another team member is a 20-something single guy, and an almost-retirement-aged Japanese salaryman who I doubt did any childcare. going from a situation where we all supported one another on staggered maternity/paternity leave and also understood "oops little guy is sick today, I'm going to be available occasionally" to now others who absolutely Do Not Understand is kind of rough, especially since this has been our little one's rough patch of developing her immune system (thanks daycare).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Two things are absurd:
1 - how easy it is to get annoyed at parental humblebragging on social media. Yes I’m sure your outings are fun, Cathy, you always have at least one set of grandparents with you who take point on baby wrangling.

2 - how good Bluey is. Sometimes I learn more than my kid does.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

since folks are talking about kid media, I'm starting to populate a plex server with kid's TV and some key youtube channels. I know about Ms. Rachel, but is there anything else of value on Youtube that's good for kids under 3?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

also, when did you start introducing screens?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sundae posted:

This is really tough! On one hand, I'm glad our daughter loves our attention. On the other hand, god almighty please learn to self-entertain already.

I'm 46 and have 4 7yo and under. I feel I'm lucky my body has proved resilient to aging and I'm still capable of rolling about on the floor and chasing the toddler.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

also, when did you start introducing screens?

Is screens just phones and tablets, or also TV

Ours has always had an interest in tablets and phones but it's sorta died off more recently

Ours started watching some TV around 2.5 and now she's watching 30-60 minutes a day (2 or 3 episodes before bed) but if we need a distraction to get things done I've put on a Disney movie before

She only gets the tablet for plane rides over three hours so far. We have the kid proof Amazon 7" tablet it's perfectly adequate and comes with a 1 hour timer and somehow she just accepts it when the timer is done for the day

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

since folks are talking about kid media, I'm starting to populate a plex server with kid's TV and some key youtube channels. I know about Ms. Rachel, but is there anything else of value on Youtube that's good for kids under 3?

We like yoga/exercise videos sometimes. Miss Linky has two dinosaur exercise videos that are a hit. Cosmic kids yoga seems to trend a little older but some videos can hold a toddler’s attention.

For screens - for us, tablets are reserved long trips (plane rides, 4+ hour car rides). Both girls (4 and 2) get glued to them so it saves our sanity on long trips, but we have to lay down the hammer for when they go away. iPads are ideal but obviously $$$. We have fire tablets that can be unintuitive sometimes but work ok.

They both have our old Nintendo DSs when in the car whenever. Mario Kart and Nintendogs are great. The 4yo surprised me by getting into the GBA yoshi’s island.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I started working on a full on plex collection populated with kids TV, mostly older stuff like the magic school bus and bill nye but quickly just leaned into the pbs kids app which has enough episodes of everything current to keep both the 6 and 3 year old occupied when its screen time, and a UI that's easily navigable for them.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

El Mero Mero posted:

Danny go is really good. On youtube, its a lot of dance-along stuff thats varied and high quality, and i've seen snippets of blippy-esque explainer videos (like, touring a firehouse) that are way more palatable than blippy. We introduced some screen around 2, which was probably a mistake. Someone somewhere said there is incredible value in boredom at this age, and its true. If i remove the screens, it takes my 3yo like 1.5 minutes to think of something more creative/less passive to do and thats absolutely the vibe im shooting for.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Amazon fire tablet, YouTube premium and the YouTube kids app with an account and very broad with blocking/banning channels actually makes for a decent experience and let's you go and view the past videos they've seen.

Premium gets rid of the advertising, kids app stops all the "click to subscribe" buttons from working, fire tablet is cheap on sale and banning channels really does influence the algorithm so the crap channels don't get suggested.

(I'm surprised at how many parents there are who have created channels for their kids playtime with all the latest toys/etc that live in the middle of nowhere/on a ranch/huge house so the kid can become the newest influencer or something).

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

El Mero Mero posted:

Caitie's Classroom
Kids Learning Tube
Learn Bright
Free School

Our oldest is 3.5 and we watch probably too much TV since sometimes we gotta distract him to put down the baby but he has never played with a tablet before. We're trying to delay phones and tablets for as long as we can. If he needs to do something on a car ride we give him his little LCD drawing pad.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Also did the Plex kid’s media thing because it seems like a perfect use case for it. I hate advertising and don’t allow it in my house, and using Plex also means it’s possible to know the kiddo is watching normal things and not whatever horrifying stuff that sneaks into YouTube for kids.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why don't I want to go outside right now? Well, one, you have a snack you haven't even begun to eat. I have the oven on and cooking. Also, you soaked your pants with pee the second I looked away. It doesn't seem like the best time, does it? So yeah stop putting your boots on.

No, we don't have any candy right now...

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Son tells me today: "For Christmas, I only want three things. A stuffed Bluey, a smelly marker, and $1000."

None of these things were on his Christmas list nor did he tell either of the Santas he has seen. And his ask for cash is my move, so I appreciate that.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Son tells me today: "For Christmas, I only want three things. A stuffed Bluey, a smelly marker, and $1000."

None of these things were on his Christmas list nor did he tell either of the Santas he has seen. And his ask for cash is my move, so I appreciate that.

All markers are smelly, but not all markers should be smelled.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tom Smykowski posted:

Same boat

Happened at 5am today and his face was so goddamn serious

Come to think of it, my daughter also requested this, around age 3 or so. I had forgotten about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rufio posted:

little LCD drawing pad.

Product link please?