Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature

Skelly you monumentally hosed up drawing Trump. That's a mortal sin for a politoonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ed Gamble has been at this for a while; I believe he turned 80 this year. Here's a bit of a retrospective of the evolution and devolution of his art (courtesy of the King Features site, the University of Tennessee, and the University of North Florida):

A watch dog's entire purpose is to alert people of danger, so even without teeth they're capable of barking and doing their job. Gamble is thinking of a guard dog, which would attack intruders as well.

Take that, lazy comic from almost forty years ago!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

So, this cartoon has now caused a bit of a brou-ha-ha here is sunny happy Canada. See, one of our biggest right wing rags, the Toronto Sun, ran this cartoon on the front page. This is after weeks of beating the drum about how terrible anti-Semitism is, and how plucky little Israel is just defending itself. Also, what you need to known is the largest, by capita, diaspora of Ukrainian people is in Canada. So, as you can imagine, as seen by the tweet below, it's caused a shitstorm, with even some of our most conservative pundits calling them out on it.

https://twitter.com/KateMcKenna28/status/1737739347934282016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What Nazi poo poo is that cartoon referencing? I know of the Dolchstoßlegende cartoon that gets referenced an alarming amount by modern cartoonists, but is there more to that particular Varvel Zelensky cartoon than antisemitic stereotypes?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature

Skelly you monumentally hosed up drawing Trump. That's a mortal sin for a politoonist.

Seriously, he looks like a hosed up Chucky doll.

Anyway, here's a tweet with a politoon in it
https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1737852250264080584?s=20

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

What Nazi poo poo is that cartoon referencing? I know of the Dolchstoßlegende cartoon that gets referenced an alarming amount by modern cartoonists, but is there more to that particular Varvel Zelensky cartoon than antisemitic stereotypes?

There a bunch in the comments but they are several legit nazi cartoons where a bunch of these elements are presented

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pants Donkey posted:

https://twitter.com/PeleKen/status/1737846442264498469
General centuries-old anti-semitism more than just nazis in particular really.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh ho ho ho Payne is mad

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah us mainstream media consumers have NEVER seen the unfettered, wild, and creative free-independent-thinker takes you lot come up with. We definitely don't see them every loving day!

"drat, they took Trump off the ballot just because he was the opposition?"
>"Well"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst Non-Leunig Poetry or alternatively Worst Song Parody (I can't tell what it's referencing.)
Hillary has both shoes!

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I don't like the idea of Milhouse having two corrupt Colorado supreme court cartoons in one day

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Oh ho ho ho Payne is mad

He's a far-right MAGA supporter, so his default emotion is anger.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The government has been debating the idea of a disaster response team that isn't using the armed forces and volunteers (which is what is dealing with disasters like the current floods now).

Wilcox:

Albo = PM, Sussan Ley = Deputy Opposition Leader, Chris Bowen = Energy & Climate Change Minister, Peter Dutton = Opposition Leader, Richard Marles = Defence Minister, Tanya Plibersek = Environment Minister.

Knight:

Arnold Dix, the 'nerdy' Aussie farmer behind the Indian tunnel rescue that saved 41 people (ABC). And the Melbourne Metro Tunnel, which is slated to open next year despite cost blowouts. It's a "two tunnels happened" cartoon.

Leak, Son of Leak:

The US has requested Australia send a warship to the Red Sea but we aren't. Australia to send small personnel deployment but no warship to Red Sea (ABC).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Well? Which is it, you disingenuous gently caress?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Murdstone posted:

Hillary has both shoes!

Well sure, it's Christmas. She probably stole them from that kid in the song who was buying them for his dying mom.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

The US has requested Australia send a warship to the Red Sea but we aren't. Australia to send small personnel deployment but no warship to Red Sea (ABC).

I think this is supposed to be SecDef Lloyd Austin.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I think this is supposed to be SecDef Lloyd Austin.

America's civilian Defense Secretaries famous for wearing military uniforms

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Branco's a weird guy. Whenever it comes to national politics, all he can usually muster is a "draw this Democrat next to a big pile of stinky poo poo labeled 'corruption' and call it a day".

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Asgerd posted:

Uncanny…

:lmao: it was literally his very next cartoon

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DalaranJ posted:

They're incredibly stuffy, overly-serious, priggish elites who love to get high on marijuana and goof off!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Turn on your monitor?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, this cartoon has now caused a bit of a brou-ha-ha here is sunny happy Canada. See, one of our biggest right wing rags, the Toronto Sun, ran this cartoon on the front page. This is after weeks of beating the drum about how terrible anti-Semitism is, and how plucky little Israel is just defending itself. Also, what you need to known is the largest, by capita, diaspora of Ukrainian people is in Canada. So, as you can imagine, as seen by the tweet below, it's caused a shitstorm, with even some of our most conservative pundits calling them out on it.

https://twitter.com/KateMcKenna28/status/1737739347934282016

Shot:

https://twitter.com/gmacofglebe/status/1737890727051341974

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/1737935468266725568

quote:

Earlier this week, we ran a cartoon depicting Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy picking the pocket of U.S. President Joe Biden.

Article content
The cartoon did not meet our editorial standards, we were wrong to run it and we apologize.

Join the conversation
Have your say
Leave a comment and share your thoughts with our community.
Read All 27 Comments
Article content
It falsely implied American aid to Ukraine involves theft.

It was hurtful to Canadians of Ukrainian origin, and to all Ukrainians, fighting an existential struggle against Russian aggression.

It also used anti-Semitic stereotypes in its depiction of Zelenskyy.

It was hurtful to Canadians of Jewish origin, and to the Jewish people, currently under assault from a global wave of anti-Semitism.

We failed them and we failed all of you, our readers.

The syndicated cartoonist behind the cartoon will no longer run in our newspaper.

We promise to do better in the future.

– Adrienne Batra, Editor in Chief

Get hosed Varvel. You caused an international condemnation for your poo poo.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on the junior doctors’ strike – Junior doctors in England are walking out this week and in the new year"

Telegraph:

Bulk carrier hijacked by Somali pirates as experts fear a Houthi alliance

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

DalaranJ posted:

What was that one quote that said fascists portray their enemies as both too strong and too weak at the same time?

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

JamesBont posted:

What was that one quote that said fascists portray their enemies as both too strong and too weak at the same time?

I assume you're thinking of Eco https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/umberto-eco-ur-fascism

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JamesBont posted:

It's one of the signifiers in Umberto Eco's Ur-fascism

quote:

The followers must feel humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies. When I was a boy I was taught to think of Englishmen as the five-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Italians. Jews are rich and help each other through a secret web of mutual assistance. However, the followers must be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

Note that while this is appealing, Eco himself describes the signifiers as "also typical of other kinds of despotism or fanaticism." They're also generally debated regarding their utility as such; some seem far more common and potentially necessary to fascist states than others, and this one in particular isn't necessarily a function of fascism as much as of general bad faith motivation toward an out-group.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 22, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Marty Two Bulls

Jeff Stahler

A request to put Trump on the Naughty List? Removing him from both lists? Removing Santa from being able to make the lists? What does this note say?

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Pedro X. Molina

Jack Ohman

Ann Telnaes

Matt Wuerker

Lee Judge

For some reason, I am put in mind of the far superior Matt Bors cartoon:

Probably the headdress is what made me think of it. (I was always impressed by how this cartoon clearly and distinctively depicts two Native Americans without using a bunch of stereotypical signifiers.)

Mike Smith

John Branch

Kellies Nomination: The Went to the Doctor Because He Was Feeling a Little Funny Prize

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

Kellies Nomination: The God Help Me, I Might Actually Run Out of Clown Jokes Award

David M. Hitch

Carlos Latuff

See, i should have just waited a day.

Drew Sheneman

Adam Zyglis

David Horsey

I thought about posting the rant on this one, but it isn't that interesting. Their boats are old and falling apart. They need to be replaced.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

BoTh SiDeS

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

DIRTY ELECTION DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
Cartoon published 12/21/2023

The Colorado Supreme Court made a narrow but shameful decision to remove Donald Trump from their state ballot. Trump never received a conviction for ‘insurrection,’ let alone a fair trial.

Perhaps the Colorado court aligned itself with Nancy Pelosi’s view that Trump needs to ‘prove himself innocent’ in a court of law. In other words, the court and Pelosi think he’s guilty until proven innocent. The Democrats have power—therefore THEY are the law. This is another example of their lawfare against Trump.

Keep Us Drawing- Support our work with a small donation, click to donate!

Joe Biden, The Resident in Chief, chimed in on the matter and said it’s up to a court decide whether Trump is guilty of insurrection—but then he immediately added that Trump was guilty of the crime. “No question about it. None. Zero.” The executive branch of our government has already made up his mind, but the Supreme Court will be the ones who will make the ultimate decision, which will most likely be restoring Trump to the Colorado ballot.

Signed Print Available Click To Order

A reporter also asked Biden about his steep decline in the polls. Maybe Joe thought he was being witty when he replied, “You’re looking at the wrong polls.” The reporter wasn’t looking at the wrong polls. Even polls from the left indicate Joe will get his fossilized backside handed to him on a plate come November.

Never Miss A New Cartoon! Sign Up Today For Our GrrrNEWS cartoon newsletter-It’s Free and Easy!

The Democrats know this—therefore they are desperate. Biden’s presidency has been a complete and utter disaster.

He tells people that his ‘Bidenomics’ scheme is working, when few can afford groceries, let alone rent or a home. The majority of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. Homelessness is at an all-time high while the southern border remains wide open. Apparently the Marxist Democrats will sign them up to vote and then sign them up for the US military in exchange for citizenship. Young men arrived illegally by the droves and they won’t be afraid to shoot at MAGA-minded Americans. The Democrats know this.

Joe has sent $140 billion to a losing battle in Ukraine. That money could have ended homelessness in America. It could have been spent on updating our aging infrastructure. It could have gone toward securing our borders, yet Joe wants to waste more money on foreign wars, which drives inflation higher at home.

Keep Us Drawing- Support our work with a small donation, click to donate!

Biden and Kamala are fundamentally unlikeable people. Both are phony baloneys. Both lack the intellectual capacity necessary for their jobs. Neither can speak with much clarity. Joe and the Biden family are running a con game—they are confidence tricksters, but few have confidence in Joe at this point. Many are seeing him for what he’s always been: An incompetent liar who is it for himself.

You are invited to join me on SubscribeStar- a Pateron alternative, for exclusive cartoons and behind the scenes look at GrrrGraphics, Click to Join!

The gloomy outlook for Biden means the Democrat party will pull a lot of shenanigans to keep him in the White House. We just saw evidence of that in Colorado. The Marxist Democrats will be particularly dangerous in 2024. Look for a new war and/or another pandemic trotted out by Gates and his fellow genocidal globalists. The Democrats would rather tear this country apart than see Trump reelected.

We’re in for a rough ride. Buckle up!

— Ben Garrison

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

Why does he need all of these heads here when only one person is responding? Is Hitch unable to draw one comic without a mass of wide-eyed human heads clustered together?

He's so awful

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That's right, Garrison, Trump is so much more likable!

Trump wouldn't even let one of his Russian hookers pee on you if you were on fire.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Third-party votes don't take votes away from anyone when the people casting them would've abstained from voting given no other options. Like me.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

bunnyofdoom posted:

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/1737935468266725568
quote:
Earlier this week, we ran a cartoon depicting Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy picking the pocket of U.S. President Joe Biden.

Article content
The cartoon did not meet our editorial standards, we were wrong to run it and we apologize.

Lol, get hosed. This isn't some comic or opinion piece that slipped through. You made it the whole front fuckin page!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Gaza Land Acknowledgement

Ted Rall posted:

Following the doctrine that it is easier to beg forgiveness than to obtain permission, Israel is engaged in the ethnic cleansing of the Gaza Strip, with a view toward annexing it. It’s not hard to imagine that, sooner rather than later, beach resorts will replace the 2.3 million Palestinians who have been killed or driven out of their homeland.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Stahler

A request to put Trump on the Naughty List? Removing him from both lists? Removing Santa from being able to make the lists? What does this note say?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Ah, you never get tired of a true classic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ah, you never get tired of a true classic.

Dick in the butt
dick in the butt
looking like a goon
with a dick in the butt

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was WAS the origin of Dickbutt, anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

JamesBont posted:

It actually has its own smilie: :umberto:

A.F. Branco

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich