Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

What's the difference between a moose and a ska band?

A moose has two horns up front and an rear end in a top hat in the back.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is that actually true? That's a very common railroader urban legend.

With how massive train cars can be and being familiar with both this and the OSHA thread, it has to have happened at least a few times right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Air Skwirl posted:

Schad is on you for loving up the joke because moose have antlers, not horns.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Air Skwirl posted:

you're very much not wrong as i was one of two horn players and the singer got booted from the band for banging the saxaphone's gf

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I can only be certain that I had a close friend who's dad died and I remember he worked for the railroad. She later told me that he had been bisected. She could have embellished or created the story to hide something. But I remember him dying and my friend grieving, that's not an urban legend.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I mean, if you haven't heard a ska band with a really great antler section you've been missing out.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Moose have antlers - not horns.

schad's on me for being too slow

Again, I'm the rear end in a top hat

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

My senior prom we ended up driving over an hour to eat at a fancy restaurant at the recommendation of someone’s mom. The schadenfreude is that a friend’s girlfriend was a vegetarian, she ordered the sweetbreads.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Their version is better though :confused:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Takes No Damage posted:

With how massive train cars can be and being familiar with both this and the OSHA thread, it has to have happened at least a few times right?

It's happened with steel cabling on the regular etc, and the lesson I've taken is "if [heavy machinery thing] can happen, it has happened. Don't matter if you've heard about it or not"

The thing that scares me shirtless around train yards is electric arcing. Even radiation is less scary than electricity

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Moose is a funnier animal to use for the joke than Mountain Goat, okay.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

you're very much not wrong as i was one of two horn players and the singer got booted from the band for banging the saxaphone's gf
A saxophone with a gf... was her name Suzaphone?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BNSF work stories - read the last story.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-last-kiss/

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Amazing how Snopes has gone from giving the answer upfront, to putting the answer at the end of an article with multiple ads, to now apparently not giving the answer at all. Worthless site.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
:capitalism:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/vVA7zdv.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Amazing how Snopes has gone from giving the answer upfront, to putting the answer at the end of an article with multiple ads, to now apparently not giving the answer at all. Worthless site.

I noticed the other day that Snopes now has a rating of “outdated” for stuff that totally did happen, but they don’t want to count against the guy.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

That article was published in 1997 lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I noticed the other day that Snopes now has a rating of “outdated” for stuff that totally did happen, but they don’t want to count against the guy.

Outdated: the children in question have since grown up, making the issue moot

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Outdated: that happened like 80 years ago and the camps have since closed

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/hOJd8Te.mp4

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Outdated: the government paid for the infrastructure, organised the system, kept the nobels from re-enslaving the peasants and serfs.
But what has it done for me lately?!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

bad_fmr posted:

None of these prom stories involve any good nut shots :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?T-LPUvuTj5U

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cubicle gangster posted:

That article was published in 1997 lol

Snopes got partly sold to a media company in the mid 2010s and went through several legal disputes which got dragged through the courts for years, it was a real mess. Barbara sold her 50% shares in 2016 and David sold his shares in 2022 so it's now entirely owned by media entrepreneurs (who also own salon.com and tvtropes.com). The entire site got revamped a few years ago and all the articles got reformatted

The Internet Wayback Machine only has records going back to late 2021 so it looks like all the earlier saved pages got scrubbed

Edit: the buyout of tvtropes.com was hilarious, the very first thing they did was to start up a Kickstarter campaign to "revitalize the site" and milked $100,000 out of the userbase: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tvtropes/the-tv-tropes-revitalization-project

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Dec 22, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Snopes got partly sold to a media company in the mid 2010s and went through several legal disputes which got dragged through the courts for years, it was a real mess. The entire site got revamped a few years ago and all the articles got reformatted

The Internet Wayback Machine only has records going back to late 2021 so it looks like all the earlier saved pages got scrubbed
This sounds a bit suspicious... is there a Snopes article about this story?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh. Straight‐up nothing for the domain prior to October 2021.

e: Apparently the archives were not deleted, but were never made in the first place because the founders were weirdos.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90901113/inside-snopes-the-rise-fall-and-rebirth-of-an-internet-icon posted:

In fact, since November 2002, Mikkelson had also excluded Snopes from the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine, a project by the digital library to snapshot the World Wide Web for future reference. Mark Graham noticed the exclusion when he started as the library’s director in 2015. “I was like, What the gently caress,” Graham says.

Graham is the director of the Wayback Machine, 2015 to present.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Dec 22, 2023

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

lol i wonder if wayback machine is also in the same conglomerate cause all the really bad poo poo of snopes is from before 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Large Testicles posted:

lol i wonder if wayback machine is also in the same conglomerate cause all the really bad poo poo of snopes is from before 2021

It will be parted out and sold to the same conglomerate if Chuck Wendig has his way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

e; the ska band i dont regret

You should.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

CainFortea posted:

You should.

I WILL NEVER TURN MY BACK ON SKA!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

I WILL NEVER TURN MY BACK ON SKA!

Ska turned it's back on you when it seduced you in the first place.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

CainFortea posted:

are you my first girlfriend? Rachel?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

CainFortea posted:

All should quake and fall to their knees, the Backstreet Boys fan has spoken

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The "backstreet" is a bunghole.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

Moose is a funnier animal to use for the joke than Mountain Goat, okay.

Well yeah, that and they're black metal not ska:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGHmr1NyBTw&t=26s

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Takes No Damage posted:

Well yeah, that and they're black metal not ska:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGHmr1NyBTw&t=26s

i want to buy you a new red text for even attempting to insist that they're black metal despite what the song name is

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Large Testicles posted:

i want to buy you a new red text for even attempting to insist that they're black metal despite what the song name is

If your favorite Black Metal bands don't feature an acoustic guitar and a guy drumming with trad grip then I don't know what to tell you. I feel sorry for you :(

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Takes No Damage posted:

If your favorite Black Metal bands don't feature an acoustic guitar and a guy drumming with trad grip then I don't know what to tell you. I feel sorry for you :(

goddamn, your user name just really lives up

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just went to a railroad museum with my dad and one of the statistics was something like 170 of every 1000 rail workers died on the job before things like air brakes and knuckle couplings were invented. Standing between two boxcars and dropping a pin while they move inexorably together, or walking along the top of them at speed in order to manually spin a brake wheel, wasn't the safest job

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah, I definitely remember hearing the legend of Ommin's friend's dad on the playground when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Prom schadenfreude:

Only registered members can see post attachments!