Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I've often wondered what people actually mean when they say "work rate", and the conclusion I've come to is "wrestlers putting even an iota of effort into their matches, and bothering to be entertaining"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

this kid is nuts posted:

I've often wondered what people actually mean when they say "work rate", and the conclusion I've come to is "wrestlers putting even an iota of effort into their matches, and bothering to be entertaining"

These people have convinced themselves that "Story" and "Workrate" are two diametrically opposed concepts that can't co-exist, so every match is EITHER a Story Match OR a Workrate Match and it can never, ever be both and since they also believe "Workrate" automatically means "8 million flips" they've gaslit themselves into believing the only matches worth watching are the ones where the wrestlers just kinda plod around the ring yelling the story beats out loud directly into the camera

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drakkel posted:

These people have convinced themselves that "Story" and "Workrate" are two diametrically opposed concepts that can't co-exist, so every match is EITHER a Story Match OR a Workrate Match and it can never, ever be both and since they also believe "Workrate" automatically means "8 million flips" they've gaslit themselves into believing the only matches worth watching are the ones where the wrestlers just kinda plod around the ring yelling the story beats out loud directly into the camera

I agree. Workrate can mean so many different things. You have technical matches, meat matches, brawls, deathmatches, sports entertainment focused matches. Like I don't think it's rediciulus to say that Shawn Michaels vs Ric Flair had a lot of work rate, or Undertaker vs HHH in hell in a cell, or Mankind vs HHH street fight.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A 2011 Randy Orton match that's 75% headlocks is what we call "slow-burn, elevated wrestling".

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Omega Okada 4 was actually part of Kenny and Kota calling out to each other and reunite, told through the medium of stolen spots

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My pert theory about all of this: a huge amount of these people don't actually watch wrestling shows at all. They consume wrestling through the medium of 5 minute youtube clips.

After AEW Dynamite, they have put out 8 clips on Youtube, three of which are highlights of backstage segments, in ring promos, or other "story" content, five of which are highlights of matches. It's possible to look at this and think "well, there were only three story segments and the rest were just matches" and think nothing much happened.

After WWE Raw, they have put out 17 clips on Youtube, nine of which are highlights of backstage segments, in ring promos, or other "story" content. It's possible to look at this and think "wow, loads of stuff must have happened on RAW" even though barely anything did. They even do a ten minute "top ten moments" clip for if you can't even be bothered to watch all the clips.

When it's presented in this way it's very easy for an inattentive viewer to just assume that anything important made it into the clips. And as AEW don't have many "just story" segments, not much important happened on the show.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/DorbyAllen/status/1737661919161692321?t=WPKSAunNeY3i-jQNwBv9YA&s=19

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

what exactly are they referring to?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Shard posted:

what exactly are they referring to?

hes doing the "its just a match with no stakes and no story!!!" bit

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's mad that Alex does all the cool moves with the wrestlers. Half of the managers in AEW stand next to their guy and dance, it's insanely over, so it's good outrage bait.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And why do rap songs always have that one guy going "wooo skeert skeet" and stealing attention from the rapper?!?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Wrestling is an amazing community because a guy can literally just stand there on screen next to another guy and there's a certain percentage of people in the world that are driven insane with rage over it for no reason

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

DORBY ALLEN

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There was a backstage segment shortly after swerve showed up where a dude in his entourage just randomly yelled GARMENTS and at that point I didn’t know he was the guy on the song with him so it just seemed like some weird dude shouting about clothes

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

oh i was wrong, it was the thing everyone else said, i didnt care to watch the entire clip and thats on me

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Drakkel posted:

Wrestling is an amazing community because a guy can literally just stand there on screen next to another guy and there's a certain percentage of people in the world that are driven insane with rage over it for no reason

Fedpilled: "A... MANAGER?" *melts as though witnessing the opening of the Ark of the Covenant*

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hulk Hogan becoming the vector for Sci-Ti to pitch "Hey, you can LOVE JESUS but ALSO benefit from grabbing on to an E-Meter and getting Audited" to evangelicals is so stupid that it must be the truth.

A Fancy Hat posted:

*me watching a wrestler have a kickass match while commentary explains who she is and why she has beef with her opponent*

"WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT THIS?!?!"

See there's your problem, you are "watching wrestling" and not hanging on for a 15-minute in-ring promo to experience a WHAT 👀JUST 👀HAPPENED 👀🔥🔥🔥 story moment

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Drakkel posted:

The idea that the Continental Classic is no story and all workrate comes from people who haven’t even watched a C2 match.

Even Jay Lethal has had a storyline of “maybe the Planet Jarrett poo poo is making me lose focus of the fact I’m a somewhat competent wrestler”, as long as you engage just one brain cell on a Wednesday night. Granted, Daniel Garcia is telling a similar story better, but it’s there.

It’s like literal adults who refuse to watch something that isn’t MCU slop, but they get upset at the Super Intricate Storytelling of Die Hard.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Instead of matches both competitors should stand in the ring shirtless and scream lines at each other.

Then one hit, maybe two as a swerve.

Really the people want scripted and worked Power Slap.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't think even Scientology could withstand the Lore of The Hulkster.

Brother.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Don't think he's wrong tbh. There's been so many incredible matches that the value of an incredible match doesn't mean as much any more. Back in the day you had one good wrestling match a year and we talked about it for generations. Now there's matches that make Ricky Steamboat Vs Macho Man look like garbage every week.

If wrestling is to survive it must get worse. Thankfully WWE is committed to this.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/Unpaid__Critic/status/1737857197043036445

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the comments said Riho looked like an 'emaciated villager.'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

These people would've been so loving mad when Rey Mysterio Jr first showed up in ECW.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Wrestling fans deserve every lovely product they get. Bunch of absolute dolts.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I would pay any amount of money to see Hogan's scientology audit

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dawgstar posted:

One of the comments said Riho looked like an 'emaciated villager.'

Someone should link them the Vice clip where Cornette describes the quintessential wrestling story as the spectacle of likable little guy fighting an rear end in a top hat big bully and then making a comeback and winnng despite the odds. I think of it every time I see dummies whining about talented athletes who aren't jacked and huge getting over.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't think he's wrong tbh. There's been so many incredible matches that the value of an incredible match doesn't mean as much any more. Back in the day you had one good wrestling match a year and we talked about it for generations. Now there's matches that make Ricky Steamboat Vs Macho Man look like garbage every week.

I can't relate to this because the only promotion I followed starting out as a wrestling fan was New Japan, which from 2012-2018 was non-stop great matches and to me it never really reduced in value

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

"It's actually a good thing if most of the show is boring so the parts that aren't boring are that much better" is a take you'll only ever hear when talking about Wrestling

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

"It's actually a good thing if most of the show is boring so the parts that aren't boring are that much better" is a take you'll only ever hear when talking about Wrestling

It's honestly good advice if you're planning a show or something but it is weird that wrestling fans have internalized it as cope and as "no see that's supposed to be a pile of crap that drives you away so that you love the next thing"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
what it is is people not understanding how pacing works, and how different intentions can cause things to have different results and appearances.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
that is then internalized as cope et cetera.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/FakeNadine/status/1737870856125096281

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What the gently caress does that even mean, by a 'found footage collage' does she mean a... Documentary?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This reply is killing me

https://twitter.com/uncommonsahil/status/1737852974452621372

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean, by a 'found footage collage' does she mean a... Documentary?

Reminder: WWE viewers generally aren’t “collage” educated.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nadine, real or not, ain’t poo poo

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

What do they even mean? Do they think GFW was a hyper-serious Sports-Based Presentation?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope current and reigning GFW next*gen champion Cody Rhodes makes an appearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!