Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I drive a million miles per hour at all times and have been chased more times than I can count. I always get away though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

numberoneposter posted:

what would ghost rider do...

Ghost ride the whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCU6LrW0B1s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Break
Break
Break
Thanks for the perfunctory blinker!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

redshirt posted:

Break
Break
Break
Thanks for the perfunctory blinker!

At least they're using a blinker. I'm pretty sure its against the law to use blinkers in the states of new jersey and pennsylvania.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I see PA plates I take note.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Everyone is a lovely driver but me.

You should all walk or take the bus while I alone drive wherever I want.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

I love driving, I just hate other drivers. As I am sure many of us feel the same.

There's this country route near me if you're lucky you won't see another car, and you can just go. Burn it. The road is recently paved with all these twists and turns, it's wonderful.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

a lot of narcoleptic dementia patients commuting on their bikes around you are there?

e:f;b

Not anymore, but when I lived in Philly I knew at least one bike commuter with epilepsy, which I found pretty wild because public transit there is actually fairly decent.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
cyclists are fine but lol when they cut in line at a two way or four way stop completely busy with cars. No. Wait your loving turn like everyone else, I don't see your inability to know how the right of way, it is the least predictable thing to do, ever.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

At least they're using a blinker. I'm pretty sure its against the law to use blinkers in the states of new jersey and pennsylvania.

can confirm, i'm from nj and driving in nyc is genuinely less stressful and scary to me than driving on the jersey side

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

wesleywillis posted:

Bulldoze my city and rebuild if as a pedestrian only zone. Bonus points if you do it with killdozers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

redshirt posted:

When I see PA plates I take note.

You should those people are menaces.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

People always say specific states have bad drivers but I've been to like every state and they all loving suck.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bossy lady posted:

People always say specific states have bad drivers but I've been to like every state and they all loving suck.

I tell you what, the drivers of South Dakota are the best and most polite drivers I've ever seen. It's astounding!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bossy lady posted:

yeah but they all suck in different ways! that's the fun

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP
How about the folks at 4-way stop sign intersections who tail someone to get through? i.e. instead of waiting their turn, they just drive along with the car in front of them.

Truly a scum move. Drivers who tailgate in residential areas are as bad. Both instances are rare compared to other types of bad driving, but really mind-boggling when you experience it.

pizzapocketparty fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 22, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pizzapocketparty posted:

How about the folks at 4-way stop sign intersections who tail someone to get through? i.e. instead of waiting their turn, they just drive along with the car in front of them.

Truly a scum move. Drivers who tailgate in residential areas are as bad. Both instances are rare compared to other types of bad driving, but really mind-boggling when you experience it.

How often do you see this?

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP

redshirt posted:

How often do you see this?

I'll see the stop-sign move maybe three to four times a year, and a residential tailgater maybe like once or twice a year. So like I said, somewhat rare, but something about it bugs me so much. Maybe because it's so egregious and there's such low-stakes? Like you might be able to shave off some time running red lights or speeding on a highway if you're driving for 12 hours -- but not so much at a stop sign.

pizzapocketparty fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 22, 2023

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

pizzapocketparty posted:

Alternatively, people who slow down to like 10-15mph in a 25mph zone once they enter their immediate neighborhood. Wide streets, perfect visibility, no pedestrians- just enforcing what they think the speed limit should be in their mind.

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Alternatively, people who slow down to like 10-15mph in a 25mph zone once they enter their immediate neighborhood. Wide streets, perfect visibility, no pedestrians- just enforcing what they think the speed limit should be in their mind.

Yeah, that gets weird too. There's a stretch near me that has alternating "35mph" and "SLOW" signs, and it seems that some people only see the latter and drive 20-25mph. Occasionally you'll get a 15mph'r but at that point I assume they're an old codger. I'm assuming the "SLOW" signs got added since it's a wide street and many people happily drive it at 50mph.

pizzapocketparty fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 22, 2023

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
my uber driver tonight sucked. he took dumb slow routes that anyone who lives in this city would know not to take and his taste in music was awful. only tipped 20% out of spite.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One lane slow, two lane BURN IT!!!!!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Space Kablooey posted:

maybe if the olds werent allowed to drive cars then they would vote for public transit

Working retail had to wave & yell at elderly man who had driven up on the curb & was inching his way towards the crowded entrance. He looked askance at why I was upset as he explained he was simply there to pick up his wife, & our initial plan to have him back up was abandoned when it was clear he didn’t know what was going on so had him turn off the car to avoid sudden acceleration until his wife showed up to help.

To her credit she was apologetic & sorry for the trouble.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

pizzapocketparty posted:

I've never seen this before and I hate them just knowing they exist

I have seen people pull the "I'm going to treat this blinking yellow I just got from red as I should cut in front of all the opposing traffic that has has just got their green before they start moving even though it says yield" bullshit, they definitely deserve to get hit by a train some day

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
I have been driving for 32 years and yeah. All of you are terrible at driving

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I haven't seen people do it at a 4-way stop, but I see people do it to make a left with a dedicated signal when it goes to yellow and then incoming traffic goes straight, literally every day.

I get that if you don't make it, you're pretty much hosed until the next cycle gives you another dedicated turn signal, but I've seen 2-3 cars glued to each other, and it's particularly frustrating because it's a blatant "well what are you gonna do about it" thing. You either stop short to let them go or you demolish their passenger side.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I haven't seen people do it at a 4-way stop, but I see people do it to make a left with a dedicated signal when it goes to yellow and then incoming traffic goes straight, literally every day.

I get that if you don't make it, you're pretty much hosed until the next cycle gives you another dedicated turn signal, but I've seen 2-3 cars glued to each other, and it's particularly frustrating because it's a blatant "well what are you gonna do about it" thing. You either stop short to let them go or you demolish their passenger side.

loving morons

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
I regularly drive on a street where the left turn signal is only long enough to let two cars pass (before it turns into a yield turn, anyway) and that's only if they're paying attention. Nobody is ever on the ball. I think I'll take the bus.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Gawr Gooner posted:

I regularly drive on a street where the left turn signal is only long enough to let two cars pass (before it turns into a yield turn, anyway) and that's only if they're paying attention. Nobody is ever on the ball. I think I'll take the bus.

its ok. Redshirt will give you a ride

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

its ok. Redshirt will give you a ride

Hell yeah, I'm the best drat driver you'll ever know.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Hell yeah, I'm the best drat driver you'll ever know.

good man

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

dreezy posted:

my uber driver tonight sucked. he took dumb slow routes that anyone who lives in this city would know not to take and his taste in music was awful. only tipped 20% out of spite.

holy poo poo one time i had an uber driver that used his automatic gear shift like it was manual, which everyone probably did when they were 16 and didn't have a manual to drive.

like from a stop he would put it into first, and 2nd, and then drive (i think it was only 2 gears you would select) and at a stop he would goto neutral , and then back to 1 once the light turned green

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've noticed these things happens when the traffic light has been set to a very short duration for the green light. People who drive there often start learn this behaviour and it's pretty natural when you think about it. I've often wondered, why don't the traffic planners just extend the green time for that light and give people more time?

I get that it's a less trafficked path and so is prioritized down over the others, but this kind of planning is leading to bad behaviour in traffic, why not just extend the time instead, seems better than what it leads to in practice.

It's like putting a speed limit so low nobody follows it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've noticed these things happens when the traffic light has been set to a very short duration for the green light. People who drive there often start learn this behaviour and it's pretty natural when you think about it. I've often wondered, why don't the traffic planners just extend the green time for that light and give people more time?

I get that it's a less trafficked path and so is prioritized down over the others, but this kind of planning is leading to bad behaviour in traffic, why not just extend the time instead, seems better than what it leads to in practice.

It's like putting a speed limit so low nobody follows it.

One thing I realized many years ago is the so called "Traffic Planners" may have no idea what they are doing. Or maybe they don't care.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For example, because I am like this, I noticed there was one traffic light that was causing untold other problems. Downtown Boston, Mass Ave and Boylston. The little side street with the light down the way a bit was the problem. I even went out one Saturday morning and observed the intersection for an hour. That one little side street light was causing the big intersection of Mass and Boylston to jam up, which then led to traffic jams in all directions contacting it, including all the way back to Storrow Drive. It was amazing, it was this one stupid traffic light.

I called the Boston Transportation Department and amazingly got in touch with a person who could do something about this light. And they did change it, and the traffic jam cleared, and I realized I could never trust any official system again. How was is it, I, a pedestrian, could so easily identify this obvious traffic flow issue?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The worst part about driving is a lot of the other drivers on the road. I'm convinced that people get behind a wheel and instantly lose 50+ IQ points.

Among the many obnoxious habits of drivers in my area, and probably yours as well (too lazy to read all nine pages):
  • Seeing very clearly that I'm behind a slow-moving vehicle - regardless of the lane - and rather than adjusting their speed accordingly, ramming the nose of their vehicle up my tailpipe in some misguided attempt to...scare the other driver into going faster, I guess?
  • Seeing very clearly that I was just sitting, completely stopped, at a red light and immediately sticking the nose of their car up my rear end when the light turns green because I didn't instantaneously go from 0 to 60.
  • Weaving in between traffic and cars like they're evading a three star wanted level in GTA.
  • Using the horn on flashing lights in a situation not involving a) a wreck, b) a driver unaware/clueless that a light has changed, c) signaling that someone can merge into your lane, d) warning a driver in the other lane of a speed trap or hazard (e.g: a deer), etc.
  • Tailgating in pretty much any situation. If you're riding someone's rear end, you're doing it wrong, period.

I have a lot of driving related pet peeves, obviously.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
To me, if people would learn to appreciate safe following distances it would avoid so many of the accidents.

It's just so loving simple and actually requires less work.

My favorite thing on the freeway is what I call the "Left Lane Choo-Choo Train," which seemed to take off in Wisconsin after we raised the speed limit:

Basically the right lane is people with their cruise locked to the speed limit or lower than the speed limit, the latter mostly being the drunks and real old fucks.

The left lane then, is people who I don't think are looking at their speedometer much at all. Their thought process is more like "Is there car in front of ME!??? Car should move!!!"

So you just see this line of cars like less than 10' from each other's bumpers going like 85-90, 95-100, trying to make moves like the NASCAR line or whatever. Given that some people are going too slow in the right lane, sometimes you have find your way into the left lane choo-choo train, and you'll have some psycho get even closer to you in their fuckin Denali while you're just trying to overtake the semi truck going a little low, which should be obvious.

The upshot is just setting your cruise control to like 5mph over the limit, like a normal person, is becoming impossible to do over a long stretch. There just is no flow with these fucks.

loving nuke Waukesha county Wisconsin.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 22, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I have been driving for 32 years and yeah. All of you are terrible at driving

That means you're old and automatically bad at driving.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I got my license at age 16 and it was a big giant deal that I spent a lot of energy preparing for. That test....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A bit of driving schadenfreude is what I like to call the Penalty Box, wherein someone in the middle lane tries to floor it and pass the truck in front of him on the right, not seeing the car in the right lane just hidden by the truck, and he gets boxed in by the slow car in front of them and the truck to their left.
Bonus points if the cars that were behind him close the gap with the truck and he gets stuck in the box as multiple other cars pass him in the center lane.