Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think you're capable of recognizing that the residents of Caledonia had a somewhat more direct connection to the subject of the protest than the people living in the vicinity of Parliament Hill did to the fake trucker's astroturfed bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I am bigoted against people assigned cop at birth.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I think you're capable of recognizing that the residents of Caledonia had a somewhat more direct connection to the subject of the protest than the people living in the vicinity of Parliament Hill did to the fake trucker's astroturfed bullshit.

No actually, you’ll have to explain why you believe that they do.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Dig up, stupid

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fornax Disaster posted:

No actually, you’ll have to explain why you believe that they do.

I don't have to explain a drat thing, but since you asked nicely:

Caledonia residents: living on the land that was the precise subject of the territorial dispute, and therefore direct beneficiaries of the policy being protested (you don't even need to assign responsibility or blame here, this is just a statement of fact)

Ottawa residents: to the extent that there even was a policy being protested, their only connection was living near Parliament. If you want to pretend it was a dispute over the entire territory of Canada and its illegitimate government, then they were no more or less connected than someone living in Whitehorse.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
No one was living on the land that was under dispute, it was empty farmland. The protest was specifically about Douglas Creek Estates, which I agree should not have been developed because it subject to legal action at the time. The town itself is a separate issue, not having been part of that particular ongoing land claim.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

Oh dear, are people mean to you when you spout stupid bullshit?

Very sad. Very sad indeed. What a tragedy.

The thread has come full circle in the last decade lol

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

flashman posted:

Horseshoe Theory is real.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Interesting because a decade ago is the last time I tried to take this poo poo seriously

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flashman posted:

It's hard to handle this fortune and fame. Everybody's so different, I haven't changed.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont really know what happened at caledonia - is there a good summary online that someone can link me (or i guess post if you're so inclined) so i can decide if i do or dont like this guys opinions

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Verviticus posted:

i dont really know what happened at caledonia - is there a good summary online that someone can link me (or i guess post if you're so inclined) so i can decide if i do or dont like this guys opinions

It's worth a read through on Wikipedia, at a minimum, in that it is the stand-out case for how blatantly land was stolen from First Nations persons by various levels of the Canadian government. The land is not the traditional territories of the SIx Nations of the Grand River. Rather, it was granted to them as allies of the British Crown, by the British Crown (who bought it from the Mississaugas of the Credit for this purpose) after the American revolution as compensation for terrirorial losses resulting from the revolution and its fallout.

As in, they were given title to the land. Under the British/Canadian land system. And then, somehow, a bunch of white people ended up owing basically all of it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Having read up a bit on the situation all I can say is: drat that's hosed up. I think the protestors did, and do, have the moral right to resist the government. That is all.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Haldimand Proclamation posted:

Whereas His Majesty having been pleased to direct that in consideration of the early attachment to his cause manifested by the Mohawk Indians, and of the loss of their settlement which they thereby sustained-- that a convenient tract of land under his protection should be chosen as a safe and comfortable retreat for them and others of the Five Nations, who have either lost their settlements within the Territory of the American States, or wish to retire from them to the British -- I have at the earnest desire of many of these His Majesty's faithful Allies purchased a tract of land from the Indians situated between the Lakes Ontario, Erie and Huron and I do hereby in His Majesty's name authorize and permit the said Mohawk Nation and such others of the Five Nation Indians as wish to settle in that quarter to take possession of and settle upon the Banks of the River commonly called Ours [Ouse] or Grand River, running into Lake Erie, allotting to them for that purpose six miles deep from each side of the river beginning at Lake Erie and extending in that proportion to the head of the said river, which them and their posterity are to enjoy for ever."

"To take possession of" is pretty unequivocal: Either the Haldimand Tract is definitely Six Nations land, or there's enough to give a reasonable inference that it is worth picking a fight over. Their uncontested tenancy lasted a whole fourteen years, and now they control less than 5% of it. The development should never have been there and if settlers find life as a settler disturbing they can loving leave.

The so-called freedom convoy was a mob of disaffected imbeciles riled up by russian content farms to demand the overthrow of an elected government in favour of well-known racist dipshits, while laying siege to a city centre of ten thousand people who've done nothing wrong, while making the walkways and some streets impassable and downright dangerous to people wearing masks and anyone who might be suspected of being LGGBTQ+ from their appearance.

Comparing the two is not wrong, in the way that saying "five" would be the wrong answer to "What's 2 + 2?". It's more wrong in the way that chugging a litre of shasta and barf-yodeling the alphabet while cramming your shoes up your rear end would be the wrong answer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

It's more wrong in the way that chugging a litre of shasta and barf-yodeling the alphabet while cramming your shoes up your rear end would be the wrong answer.

Always a hit at the spelling bee though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Comparing the two is not wrong, in the way that saying "five" would be the wrong answer to "What's 2 + 2?". It's more wrong in the way that chugging a litre of shasta and barf-yodeling the alphabet while cramming your shoes up your rear end would be the wrong answer.

You conjure such an image, sir.

Fake Edit: I would like to see what an AI would make of it. Finally, a justifiable use for generative AI.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Idle hands are the devil's playthings...

Courtesy of Adobe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

oh poo poo that reminds me. I just upgraded to gigabit internet so I can download and play with a bunch of diffusion models.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

McGill’s newly announced “Canada award” is brilliant but I hate it because it pits my resentment of McGill against my desire to watch the government of Quebec endure humiliation and eat the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat.

Very troubling, looking into it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't know the source of this but my sister posted it on her IG this morning and I laughed.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

That’s an evergreen comic

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
But clearly it has aged terribly. He still has glasses.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

1. An indigineous nation defending their sovereignty
2. A right wing mob blockading international borders and occupying the capital in an attempt to overthrow the government

its the same picture.jpg

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't know the source of this but my sister posted it on her IG this morning and I laughed.

Looks like Theo Moudakis from the star. His work is pretty timeless especially around the Rob Ford era

https://twitter.com/TheoMoudakis/status/1735067772651028828?t=kj8ebhNEw2QSR2v39lyh3Q&s=19

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They captured Polliver's face so perfectly, no matter who it was. Just petulant, poo poo-eating glee, and then petulant whininess. The two states that weird fuckers exists in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/stewglobal/status/1737534921105973481?s=21

Hamas should release a video saying its a poor idea to slam your cock and balls in a car door, so these drooling morons would at least stop reproducing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Seriously, what the gently caress what Canada supposed to do to stop Hamas saying "thank you for supporting a ceasefire?" Petulantly insist that the wanton slaughter of Palestinians continue? Our fellow countrymen are deranged and stupid.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

gently caress me, we really don't deserve to have any role whatsoever in international affairs when the most basic diplomatic niceties like saying "thank you" to other nations is cause for controversy. No wonder we constantly fail at providing the most basic level of consular services to Canadian expatriates.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Buckle up, the dog shampoo man has thoughts about someone else’s intelligence…

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1737850028293824794?s=21

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arabian Jesus posted:

Looks like Theo Moudakis from the star. His work is pretty timeless especially around the Rob Ford era

Buddy reused the exact same tree... :sad: But since you brought it up:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

That’s an evergreen comic

:mad:

Fidelitious posted:

But clearly it has aged terribly. He still has glasses.

In the full quality (with jpeg artifacts) original, yes:

https://twitter.com/TheoMoudakis/status/1685717078219620352

But that can be fixed:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Speaking of editorial cartoons, Trudeau gets to do a little dance because Postmedia is an unprincipled pile of US Republican and Russian propaganda.

For weeks, the National Post has been running editorials blaming Justin Trudeau personally for the rise of antisemitism in Canada, claiming he has failed to denounce it properly showing he doesn't care about the issue. Saying that they used to used to support him (!) but now don't because anti-Semitism is on the rise and it is his fault.

None of it is reality based. While on the news side of things, they are obliged to report that he has, in fact, condemned it (repeatedly), the Postmedia editorial position is to just pretend he hasn't.

Which makes the current silence from those editorialists deafening, as Trudeau has again condemned antisemitism, this time for some crap which was run by Postmedia in an attempt to turn Canadians against Ukraine:
(Spoiler for the problematic image)

The Sun at first defended themselves (apparently? I can't find that anymore) before switching to the position that "The cartoon did not meet our editorial standards, we were wrong to run it and we apologize."

While I am not certain the cartoon is anti-Semitic, the cartoonist really did go to town on Zelenskyy's nose. Without the "Ukraine" text on his back, the caricature is unrecognizable. Between Zelenskyy not really having a large lose himself and Postmedia having recently attacked left-leaning cartoons on the basis that a big nose is antisemitic, they were stuck on this one and had to back down.

What isn't debatable is that the cartoon is absolute crap which has no business running in a Canadian newspaper. The author describes himself as, "a Christian, conservative, cartoonist and speaker in that order" and his cartoons are focused entirely on US issues. And its not just blatant foreign propaganda, here. It's double foreign propaganda. Zelenskyy stealing from the US, as depicted in the cartoon, is a non-sequitur. US military aide to literally fight Russia as theft from the US is a wacky idea. It's impossible to understand without the added context that this idea is from Russian propaganda, and that Postmedia is owned by Chatham Asset Management, a US hedge fund which is doing their utmost to export MAGA to Canada. And that the MAGA has been compromised by Russian influence - just like Trump himself.

The Sun papers are just doing their owner's bidding without adequate editorial independence in Canada. Which means its a source of Russian propaganda into Canada. The Sun doesn't touch that in the apology, and its normally outspoken editorialists are silent, because they understand that they are paid to poison Canada's politics and won't bite the hand feeding them.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 22, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maneck posted:

Speaking of editorial cartoons, Trudeau gets to do a little dance because Postmedia is an unprincipled pile of US Republican and Russian propaganda.

For weeks, the National Post has been running editorials blaming Justin Trudeau personally for the rise of antisemitism in Canada, claiming he has failed to denounce it properly showing he doesn't care about the issue. Saying that they used to used to support him (!) but now don't because anti-Semitism is on the rise and it is his fault.

"Anti-Semitism is so much on the rise that we here at the Toronto Sun are now forced to display anti-Semitic cartoons as that is what our owners readership wants. We just follow the guiding hand of the free market, and blame Trudeau for forcing us to display these vile cartoons."

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Maneck posted:

None of it is reality based. While on the news side of things, they are obliged to report that he has, in fact, condemned it (repeatedly), the Postmedia editorial position is to just pretend he hasn't.

Which makes the current silence from those editorialists deafening, as Trudeau has again condemned antisemitism, this time for some crap which was run by Postmedia in an attempt to turn Canadians against Ukraine:
(Spoiler for the problematic image)

Gross!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Maneck posted:

While I am not certain the cartoon is anti-Semitic, the cartoonist really did go to town on Zelenskyy's nose. Without the "Ukraine" text on his back, the caricature is unrecognizable.

I mean, it ain't as blatant as the Happy Merchant but it certainly echoes the same tropes.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Maneck posted:

What isn't debatable is that the cartoon is absolute crap which has no business running in a Canadian newspaper. The author describes himself as, "a Christian, conservative, cartoonist and speaker in that order" and his cartoons are focused entirely on US issues. And its not just blatant foreign propaganda, here. It's double foreign propaganda. Zelenskyy stealing from the US, as depicted in the cartoon, is a non-sequitur. US military aide to literally fight Russia as theft from the US is a wacky idea. It's impossible to understand without the added context that this idea is from Russian propaganda, and that Postmedia is owned by Chatham Asset Management, a US hedge fund which is doing their utmost to export MAGA to Canada. And that the MAGA has been compromised by Russian influence - just like Trump himself.

Lol

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
If only it wasn't for Putler North Americans wouldn't be a bunch of nazi morons!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah the Russian propaganda line was always weird to me. We’ve always been bad on our own. We don’t need to imagine that we’re being mind controlled by a country whose primary export is drunken brawl dashcam videos.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

PT6A posted:

I’ve been seeing the Flu Trux Klan asking “but why can pro-Palestinian protesters have protests at malls during CHRISTMAS???”

To which I say, die of COVID, you fucks. The best Christmas gift would be a liberated Palestine, I see no reason you can’t beseech the mall Santa for that, either individually or in a group.

Well, this will likely warm the cockles of your heart. I'm a plumber, and I was working on an issue at a house here in Edmonton this past week. When it came time to pay the bill and we requested e transfer since it was cheaper (Square charges per transaction, so we have to pass the cost along) he started ranting about the large banks freezing his account. Turns out he was part of the Chucklefuck Convoy once upon a time, and he along with several others still don't have access to their money. Of course I just nodded along, but I was laughing my rear end off inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lars Blitzer posted:

Well, this will likely warm the cockles of your heart. I'm a plumber, and I was working on an issue at a house here in Edmonton this past week. When it came time to pay the bill and we requested e transfer since it was cheaper (Square charges per transaction, so we have to pass the cost along) he started ranting about the large banks freezing his account. Turns out he was part of the Chucklefuck Convoy once upon a time, and he along with several others still don't have access to their money. Of course I just nodded along, but I was laughing my rear end off inside.

How does collection / non payment / lien work out in plumbing?
I understand a mechanic can just hold your car until you pay up, but how u repo a shitter?