Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just want a car that looks like it came from the 1980s, but have a modern efficient engine. gently caress infotainment.

I have found the solution:

Ether Frenzy posted:

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=105919
This is a Volvo 242 with an S65 V8 and 7 speed DCT swapped into it from an E92 M3.

I also own a 1985 240 that's been on the list for a restoration for years, not sure I want to have exactly the same engine in two cars, but this has to absolutely rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I just want a car that looks like it came from the 1980s, but have a modern efficient engine. gently caress infotainment.

Plenty of choices if you have the coin. Maturo if you want them boxy or singer if you want them sleek.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Blazer just seems like a loving tbh..

So this means the Acura ZDX will also be a dumpster fire...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davecrazy posted:

Just for the record I’ve had my Alfa QV since September and almost 7k miles and it’s been 100% problem free so far.

soon

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

davecrazy posted:

Just for the record I’ve had my Alfa QV since September and almost 7k miles and it’s been 100% problem free so far.

Why would you do this to yourself?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

davecrazy posted:

Wow an Alfa that made it to 7k without issues, have you considered submitting it to the Guinness world records?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

This, but a built-in non-touch display with an i-drive like control that is actually in my eyeline while driving and only does Android auto and car play that can be folded away when not in use.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Guinness posted:

I feel like auto makers are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with their whole approach to EVs where they must all be Tesla-alikes with way too much software and “different because the future” decisions that throw out perfectly good and well-proven designs. It’s really no surprise then that GM, famous for their high quality software engineering, is churning out turds.

A lot of the same crap is leaking into regular cars, too, but seems like every EV on the market is trying to reinvent every wheel and be whiz-bang futuristic at the cost of… well everything. Complexity, reliability, usability, and cost of ownership.

For the promise of how much simpler EVs could be compared to ICE, they sure find a thousand unnecessary ways to poo poo them up instead.

Its so that in 10 years when they have it "perfected" they can make the software etc *just* reliable enough that they get past the warranty period.
Like those "lifetime" fluids and whatnot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guinness posted:

I feel like auto makers are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with their whole approach to EVs where they must all be Tesla-alikes with way too much software and “different because the future” decisions that throw out perfectly good and well-proven designs.

Infotainment is just one part of the issue.

I don’t think any automaker is using a ‘centralized computer’ solution to E/E architecture; I know it’s being investigated, but right now there’s a ton of discrete CPUs serving different purposes.

The explosion in CPUs isn’t because of infotainment, it’s because of active safety. All those radars and sensors? They all have to feed in info somewhere. I’m not in E/E so I’m not aware of everything, but it’s making everything complex.

You can have a 1980s-rear end car that might have an improved engine and almost nothing, but you’re gonna have to buy it new from a developing country and it’s not going to have any safety features to meet current standards in the U.S. and especially Europe.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I saw a first gen cavalier at the grocery store the other day and my eyes nearly fell out of my head.

A med student at my work drives a brown Ford Tempo to his classes. In Michigan. A 30+ year old Ford Tempo. :stare:

They weren't exactly the Kings of Corrosion Resistance.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I still see (nearly rusted out) 90s Dodge Caravans around.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mental Hospitality posted:

A med student at my work drives a brown Ford Tempo to his classes. In Michigan. A 30+ year old Ford Tempo. :stare:

I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw a Tempo/Topaz. Dang.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mental Hospitality posted:

I always wonder what's going on when I see a cheapo disposable car that's somehow survived that long in the Great Lake Salt Wastes

Was it mainly sitting in a little old lady's garage for most of its life up to the present or something? Who knows

Someone around where I live drives an AMC Eagle around but it's obviously babied and meticulously cared for/not taken out in the elements

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a surprisingly large amount of k-cars still driving around here.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It’s amazing that (as of a few years ago) the Volt had the best customer ratings in GM history.

They killed it of course.

It’s the only car I’ve ever had that I haven’t actively hated, although it’s a little too small and I won’t pay the crazy money for the anti-buffeting rear view mirrors.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TheBacon posted:

I have found the solution:

Well in my case it'd be more like this. Turn on english subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs26qS0ezdM

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
My non-QV Alfa has also been just fine*. Cold starts at -20 C, no block heater. 20k mi done.

*)
haha made you look, honestly it's fine, here's list of events I've had with the car

- SUV backed on it, requiring a 8 week wait for new bumper and minor things
- passenger side rear light started accumulating moisture, was fixed within warranty but had to wait 8 weeks for parts from Italy
- windscreen got a tiny chip that grew much bigger chip and the whole glass had to be replaced
- intermitted multi-air cold start stuttering, common issue with all of these MA engines, after it warms up it's fine

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Well this is a big deal.

Cummins' to pay $1.675 billion penalty over truck engine emission defeat devices
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/cummins-take-about-204-bln-charge-fourth-quarter-2023-12-22/

I wonder if this will result in a giant recall for Dodge.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Kivi posted:

My non-QV Alfa has also been just fine*. Cold starts at -20 C, no block heater. 20k mi done.

*)
haha made you look, honestly it's fine, here's list of events I've had with the car

- SUV backed on it, requiring a 8 week wait for new bumper and minor things
- passenger side rear light started accumulating moisture, was fixed within warranty but had to wait 8 weeks for parts from Italy
- windscreen got a tiny chip that grew much bigger chip and the whole glass had to be replaced
- intermitted multi-air cold start stuttering, common issue with all of these MA engines, after it warms up it's fine

You didn't have to wait 8 weeks for the window??

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Speleothing posted:

You didn't have to wait 8 weeks for the window??
The OE glass was / is made by the UK company Pilkington, and they have some manufacturing capacity in my country. A Saint Gobain glass was sourced instead and I had to wait 4 weeks for the next available time slot to have it fitted by my insurance company's partner shop :v: no big deal, it just wasn't completely cracked.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

davecrazy posted:

Ahahaha why would you do this to yourself?!?

Source: QV owner

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

:getin:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Full Collapse posted:

I swear I remember some goon who did long form write-ups of GM cars and the first Cavalier was RWD.

This was back when Fleetwood75 posted a lot.

Might be talking about the Vauxhall Cavalier, which rode on the same platform as the Opel Manta in the mid-70s until it got shunted to the FWD J-car platform.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

My dealers courtesy car is a Maserati Grecale and they drive me home after I drop off mine!

The breakdown experience is built in!

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 23, 2023

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

What tune is that?

davecrazy posted:

My dealers courtesy car is a Marerati Grecale and they drive me home after I drop off mine!

The breakdown experience in built in!

I’m glad you at least have rentals. My dealership is a fiat/dodge joint with a small side office for Alfa and they refuse to give out rentals. It’s always an Uber ride to and from. It is a legitimately bad experience. But I have a dealership 5 min from my house so I’m just fortunate for that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay but why would burnout mode ever be not on?

Dec 22, 2023
so the cybertruck is made to roll around right? tends towards landing on its wheels? automatic 'back on its feet'?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i miss the old mode in burnout where you tried to crash as many cars as possible

i know they sort of have it on the newer ones but it's not the same

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

i miss the old mode in burnout where you tried to crash as many cars as possible

i know they sort of have it on the newer ones but it's not the same

This is my favorite car game mechanic of all time.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

What tune is that?
It's not tune, but a OBD bit:
https://squadra-tuning.com/obd-tools/performance-logger/

Car is tuned, just something what the local programmer threw on a dyno, from base 200 hp to 300 hp. He went for reliable RON98 performance as per my request.

KillHour posted:

Okay but why would burnout mode ever be not on?
I don't want to shower people behind me with the studs from my tires :sigh:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kivi posted:

It's not tune, but a OBD bit:
https://squadra-tuning.com/obd-tools/performance-logger/

Car is tuned, just something what the local programmer threw on a dyno, from base 200 hp to 300 hp. He went for reliable RON98 performance as per my request.

I don't want to shower people behind me with the studs from my tires :sigh:

The reliability tune for a 300hp Alfa isn’t “buy a golf r”?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

GM issued a stop-sale on the Chevy Blazer EV - the 2024 Motor Trend SUV Of The Year - due to software quality issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would be very apprehensive about doing a burnout in an Alpha lol

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

The reliability tune for a 300hp Alfa isn’t “buy a golf r”?
Golf R is ca. 80k car here. Giulia was just half of that.

The base model has the same engine gubbins as the 280 hp Veloce model, so it's basically just +20 hp on factory tune. Diesels have different bits (air-to-water intercooling etc.) with the different stock power tune levels.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 25, 2023

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Looking forward to the upcoming interview with the GM CEO where they blame remote work for the issues

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Nohearum posted:

Looking forward to the upcoming interview with the GM CEO where they blame remote work for the issues

And somehow Apple Carplay and Android Auto too.

I remember being somewhat excited about the Blazer EV SS and Lyriq V or whatever they are calling it. But with all the recent GM fuckery about wages, unions, delays, glitches, in house subscription nonsense vs apple and android... I think I'm good. Keep that poo poo.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Couple of execs at motortrend chuckling nervously right now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

They’re doing a great job torpedoing public opinion on EVs so they can sell infinity duramaxes. Small investment in the future destruction of the biosphere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LeeMajors posted:

They’re doing a great job torpedoing public opinion on EVs so they can sell infinity duramaxes. Small investment in the future destruction of the biosphere.

GM wishes it could plan something like that. GM doing what GM does: being garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
GM thought that the EV transition would be a chance to reinvent their image and become a leader instead of a follower.

Whoops