Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

cruft posted:

I have to admin I haven't been keeping up with this. So I found their web site:

Boy, I just can't imagine why people aren't lining up to pay money for the character customization part of the game that happens before you get to play the tutorial level.

Man those is some :effort: rear end animes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SatansOnion posted:

tag urselves, folks, I'm Hard (at 0 ETH)

Say hello to "Hair". He sold for 0 ETH

Also, I feel attacked

PhazonLink posted:

that seems amazingly lazy and generic "anime" even among nft poo poo.

also whats the basic fundamental gameplay even? a quick searchengine search says its a browser based story game and "tasks" are done to advance the story or some poo poo. its like they took simple english wikipedia on MMOs and did it a few more times.

It's a "find the hidden object" game

Not even joking

https://docs.symbiogenesis.app/docs/basic-controls

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 21, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
burning down a rain forest worth of gas fees for a find waldo game.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

This post just really, really makes me want to leave a follow-up for future archaeologists.

There is nothing obvious any of us can do about this. We are powerless to stop it. Many (most? all?) of the people in the thread would do something if we were aware of something effective we could do.

e: actually, that's not entirely accurate. The thread exists as a sort of warning to others. That is something we can do.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Dear Penthouse Something Awful Forums,

I never thought this would happen to me, but as I lie here in bed, flush with the comforts provided by the fiat banking system, I must tell you how my Christmas vacation has gone.

I arrived back home to the Land of Lakes from the East Coast on Monday evening, fully expecting just a normal week to stay with my bachelor widower father. It has been a couple of years since mom passed, and he's spent it mostly tending to his chickens and working on his Jeep, but about half way home he said to me, "I need you to take a look at my scanner tomorrow, I gotta scan some documents." Tech support, the universal fate of the goon. But fair rent for a weeks room and board and using his car, so I agreed.

The next day, I sat down to figure out his scanner problem. After installing the correct drivers and letting him know that everything was ready, he said thanks and went about scanning his documents. I went off to go scroll Instagram and paid no mind until about ten minutes later he came into my room and said, "Hey, can I get you to look at something for me? My document isn't uploading."

I hopped up out of bed and went to his computer and looked while he explained that he wanted to upload a scan of his driver's license to a website. I made an attempt at doing it with the file that he had scanned, no dice. I looked a little closer: the site wanted jpg or png only. I remembered that the scanning utility was set to pdf only, and so went to switch that and scan his license anew. With the new file clicked, I dragged it over to the website, and that's when I noticed the name at the top: COINBASE.

My blood went cold. Internally, I asked myself: How did I go wrong? How had I failed as a son that my father was getting involved in crypto? We had done so well! He cut cable years ago! He was off Fox News bombarding him 24/7! Where had he heard of such a thing?

I asked, casually as I could, "Whatcha doing with Coinbase dad? Trying to blow my entire inheritance?" He scoffed and said he had some coins in there he was trying to get out. I attempted to explain that he was going to find that next to impossible, but he wasn't having it, so I switched tactics.

"You know, they're heavily involved in money laundering, right?"

Now, dear readers, I must take a moment to give you time to collect yourselves before I give his reply.

My father, of 76 years, and 24 of them spent as a police officer, seven of which were as a detective in the forgery and fraud division, replied, "That's fine."

I said a simple ok then, and let him go about giving some bit of himself to crypto. I hope the infection does not spread.

As of now though he's on the line with Coinbase support, trying to get an authenticator to work. It's only day two. It's going to be a long Christmas vacation.

Eta: he hosed up adding the authenticator so now the whole process starts over! Sisyphus looks enviable right now.

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 22, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:stonk:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
:sever:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cruft posted:

Boy, I just can't imagine why people aren't lining up to pay money for the character customization part of the game that happens before you get to play the tutorial level.

SatansOnion posted:

tag urselves, folks, I'm Hard (at 0 ETH)

this is me. excuse, 0 ETH. i can't believe this a loving hog lmao

also, :sever:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 22, 2023

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Pictured: what happened to the players' money

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm Wall, from the "nouns associated with houses" collection.

https://symbiogenesis.app/ for anybody hoping to peruse through all the options that are somehow already sold.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I’m normies

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The top five most expensive, in decreasing order:

1. Mistletoe
  2. Murasaki
  3. Wart
  4. Warehouse
  5. Newt

:shrug:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

He told me he heard about it "from the internet" so which one of you did this.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

my beard is pasted on yay

amazing noseless drag king energy

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I'm guessing it shows 0 ETH if you paid less than 10 bux because they only show 2 decimal digits.

Also LOL that some people are paying over a thousand dollars for that hot garbage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cruft posted:

Their SEO is top notch, lmao.

E: Their website is also an absolute mess, but I managed to find my way to this page that is full of NFT gibberish that purports to explain what the game is but doesn't.

https://docs.symbiogenesis.app/docs/about

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 22, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
lol that even a major game company, when selling out for crypto game poo poo, can't even be bothered put half an rear end of effort into dogshit NFT games

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

quote:

By holding the NFT character

Owning a character NFT brings various game utilities

- You can read the story that this in-game character possesses
- By logging in once per day, you will gain member rank experience points and Slot Release points based on the number of character NFTs you own
- You are able to issue a character replica
- Clearing a chapter's Great Mission while owner a character NFT associated to the same chapter will reward you with this chapter's NFT Dragon art.

What are Replica Characters

Owning a character replica allows you to read the same story as owning the original character NFT

Ah, yes, of course, I see.

quote:

③ NFT character's full-body illustration
At the end of the season, only players who have Member Rank 13 or higher and own an NFT Character will be able to receive a valuable full-body illustration of that character.

Reaching Member Rank 13 requires frequent logins and the completion of numerous missions/quests. The dedication it takes is what makes the full-body NFT highly valuable

Full-body NFT illustration will be minted on Polygon

You know what, I think I'll play a real game instead.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 22, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Ah, yes, of course, I see.

You know what, I think I'll play a real game instead.

What's funny is that if you go to the site and click around, you can get a full body illustration of the different outfits on their two models right now.

I'm not sure why they think this is enticing. Can you imagine being one of the developers on this? Clearly this was a "look I just work here" kind of situation.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mercury_Storm posted:

lol that even a major game company, when selling out for crypto game poo poo, can't even be bothered put half an rear end of effort into dogshit NFT games

Say what you will, they understand the audience for this kinda poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PhazonLink posted:

but he's got a tactical hat

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

PhazonLink posted:

You will be happy to know that the blockchain the game is on moved away from burning down rainforests and is now running on a «the ones with the most money decide the rules» system

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

that seems amazingly lazy and generic "anime" even among nft poo poo.

also whats the basic fundamental gameplay even? a quick searchengine search says its a browser based story game and "tasks" are done to advance the story or some poo poo. its like they took simple english wikipedia on MMOs and did it a few more times.

You're giving them far, far more credit than deserved.

Remember, anything NFT is "web3" and therefore has to be a website-based game. That one special trick: nothing NFT works without an internet connection. Also, cryptowallets have a nonsense interface, so they don't work well with consoles or anything that don't often use keyboards (as security for wallets becomes even more of a joke). Thus you'd have to have some sort of web-based thing, and THEN link it to your playstation or whatever account, and THEN play the game on the console.

The only people who could even choose to thus play something like thism is going to have to be something involved in the browser. Even the NFT based trading card game models (gods unchained) still had to link up with your wallet through a website because hey why not take the concept of of enshittification and strap it to a Musk-launched rocket? There were quite a few and they were all poo poo.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You're giving them far, far more credit than deserved.

Remember, anything NFT is "web3" and therefore has to be a website-based game. That one special trick: nothing NFT works without an internet connection. Also, cryptowallets have a nonsense interface, so they don't work well with consoles or anything that don't often use keyboards (as security for wallets becomes even more of a joke). Thus you'd have to have some sort of web-based thing, and THEN link it to your playstation or whatever account, and THEN play the game on the console.

The only people who could even choose to thus play something like thism is going to have to be something involved in the browser. Even the NFT based trading card game models (gods unchained) still had to link up with your wallet through a website because hey why not take the concept of of enshittification and strap it to a Musk-launched rocket? There were quite a few and they were all poo poo.

What happened to that crypto console on Twitter? Any updates lately?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lammasu posted:

What happened to that crypto console on Twitter? Any updates lately?

I had to google this. https://kotaku.com/polium-one-console-web3-nft-metaverse-crypto-blockchain-1849140057 ?

https://twitter.com/Polium exists but they haven't posted anything since *late 2022, so I'd be guessing they grifted their money and moved on to their next grift.

This was the last update I can see:

https://twitter.com/Polium/status/1577398335895441432

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
A game console whose sole unique feature was a “push button to give me money” button was a scam!?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

cruft posted:

The top five most expensive, in decreasing order:

1. Mistletoe
  2. Murasaki
  3. Wart
  4. Warehouse
  5. Newt

:shrug:

I paid real money for a Newt!

I got better…

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Say hello to "Hair". He sold for 0 ETH

Also, I feel attacked

It's a "find the hidden object" game

Not even joking

https://docs.symbiogenesis.app/docs/basic-controls

Is the hidden object actual gameplay?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You can read the story that this in-game character possesses

I hope mine is holding on to The Cat in the Hat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The NFT fad was taken a lot more seriously in Japan for a while than most places, probably because of the usual deal of senile idiots running companies getting all in on buzzwords (and possibly it being a cool foreign thing didn't help) but I do get the impression actually within Squeenix it was passed down to the people who gave the least poo poo about it because everyone knew any actual effort put into it would be a total waste.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The NFT fad was taken a lot more seriously in Japan for a while than most places, probably because of the usual deal of senile idiots running companies getting all in on buzzwords (and possibly it being a cool foreign thing didn't help) but I do get the impression actually within Squeenix it was passed down to the people who gave the least poo poo about it because everyone knew any actual effort put into it would be a total waste.

But aren't old people, particularly Japanese old people, reluctant to adopt new technology?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Lammasu posted:

But aren't old people, particularly Japanese old people, reluctant to adopt new technology?

Its very weird, they dont trust new technology but the second someone says "hey please give me all your money" on a computer they just cant empty their bank accounts fast enough

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Old people love gambling tho.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Why would they, though? NFT morons will slurp this poo poo up regardless, so why waste time and money on it? It'll die in a month and possibly earn them more than a AAA title would by a very wide margin.

It's basically even lower-effort gacha poo poo.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

DominoKitten posted:

amazing noseless drag king energy

but enough about anime already

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

How about slurp juices

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Ah Sir, welcome to upper tier of the rich! The 0.1% of the 0.1%! The true Captains of Industry! We who carve out the fate of millions of lives with mere waves of our hands,
the whole earth at our beck and call! Now my good fellow, how did you ascend to this plinth, how did you earn such riches?"

"I found hidden anime men quicker than others could."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I had to google this. https://kotaku.com/polium-one-console-web3-nft-metaverse-crypto-blockchain-1849140057 ?

https://twitter.com/Polium exists but they haven't posted anything since *late 2022, so I'd be guessing they grifted their money and moved on to their next grift.

This was the last update I can see:

https://twitter.com/Polium/status/1577398335895441432

I choose

Logitech F710

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They stole their original design from a random Behance account, lmao.