Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
all this poo poo is so janked together I'm frankly amazed it runs at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay. I managed to figure it out.

1. MO2 has an option to specify which executable should be run. I set it to the f4se loader instead of the regular fallout 4 executable
2. Addres [sic] Library and Buffout can be installed through MO2
3. xSE PluginPreloader cannot be installed through MO2, but rather its DLLs should be dropped into the main fallout 4 folder
4. there is an option in MO2 for "Use Profile Specific INI Files" that needs to be turned off. Reference: Buffout 4 installation guide

once I did that last step I was able to get mouselook going simultaneously with the controller, with Horizon loaded

This is all correct. You did it successfully! Adding/using different executables in MO2 is a pretty common thing once you get past very basic modding stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, that's a neat little Sim Settlements 2 trick. SPECIAL stats affect how well settlers do their jobs in the town and as HQ staff - strength for industry and facilities, perception for water/sanitation and engineering, endurance for farming and logistics, charisma for commerce and admin, intelligence for power and research, agility for defense and security, and luck to crit production and stave off disasters. Recreation plots can boost settlement happiness, but much more often they'll passively train up a single stat.

The neat thing is that when settlers have trained up to 10 in a SPECIAL stat, they auto-disengage from the recreational plot and choose something else.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm giving Horizon a try, it looks interesting. Do I get the same materials scrapping the gear on corpses or should I make an effort to bring stuff back to a settlement and breaking them down in a workstation?

Also I'm feeling punked cause you need all this stuff to cook food and I think I'm smart and try checking for the mutfruits behind the house in sanctuary, checking out abernathy farm, going to the super duper mart for the melons and either the crops aren't bearing any fruit or things are just removed

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Leal posted:

I'm giving Horizon a try, it looks interesting. Do I get the same materials scrapping the gear on corpses or should I make an effort to bring stuff back to a settlement and breaking them down in a workstation?

Also I'm feeling punked cause you need all this stuff to cook food and I think I'm smart and try checking for the mutfruits behind the house in sanctuary, checking out abernathy farm, going to the super duper mart for the melons and either the crops aren't bearing any fruit or things are just removed

I don't know if field salvaging gives exactly the same results as salvaging at a work bench, but for the sake of your sanity I suggest just doing the field salvaging. If you're the kind of person that would be bothered by the inefficiency, like me, just assume you get full salvage (like me).

Horizon makes harvesting crops have like a 2/3rd chance to give low value compostable stuff (IIRC) and a 1/3rd chance to give the actual crop, since I guess they felt manually harvesting all the stuff was both overpowered and incentivizing a really boring mechanic. In exchange they have new crop row items that you can place in settlements that aren't manually harvestable but produce (IIRC) double the food value when worked by settlers. You can also use a farming station or whatever (it's been awhile) to slowly convert wild mutfruit/melons/whatever into the standard crop.

Honestly, though, most crops on their own don't work well for producing food/water in Horizon. At best, as I recall, you get options that let you use what you have more efficiently; ie a recipe that uses meat + crop and gives a better food than the meat alone, or IIRC melon water is melon + purified water but hydrates better than water alone.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I decided to jump into Fallout 4 finally and thought I would look at some small mods for UI stuff, but I never messed with nexuxs mods/bethesda game mods at all when i played New Vegas. I found these in the OP so I don't know if they are supported still, none of them seem to be working.

Mod organizer

In game tag thingy.

The dialogue interface looks like it did previously. I did install the F4 Script to launch it with that exe loader.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Looks like you're running the Fallout 4 exe through mod organizer instead of the F4SE file. Click the dropdown where it says Fallout 4 and set it to F4SE instead. You may have to add a new entry if it's not there by default.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Relyssa posted:

Looks like you're running the Fallout 4 exe through mod organizer instead of the F4SE file. Click the dropdown where it says Fallout 4 and set it to F4SE instead. You may have to add a new entry if it's not there by default.

I think I set it to the Script file.

Also I am running no DLCs, just the base game if that matters. But I checked the Files for "Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)"
and made sure to install this one: "Last non-DLC Version available in FMOD format".

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

von Braun posted:

I think I set it to the Script file.

Also I am running no DLCs, just the base game if that matters. But I checked the Files for "Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)"
and made sure to install this one: "Last non-DLC Version available in FMOD format".

That does look good, take a screenshot of the plugins tab if you don't mind, would like to rule out missing dependencies. The in-game screenshot does sadly look correct, as the scrap tags will show like that when you use that combination of sorting/tagging. You can test the dialogue one pretty easily as well, if you get the cross-shaped dialogue with vague as hell choices, it's not working. If you get full sentences in neat lines, then you're good.

AWKCR you can test by opening up an armor piece in the armor workbench and seeing if you have stuff like appearance as options or just basic ones.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Relyssa posted:

That does look good, take a screenshot of the plugins tab if you don't mind, would like to rule out missing dependencies. The in-game screenshot does sadly look correct, as the scrap tags will show like that when you use that combination of sorting/tagging. You can test the dialogue one pretty easily as well, if you get the cross-shaped dialogue with vague as hell choices, it's not working. If you get full sentences in neat lines, then you're good.

AWKCR you can test by opening up an armor piece in the armor workbench and seeing if you have stuff like appearance as options or just basic ones.

I installed the AWKCR because it was required for the Sorting mod to work it said. The tags I wanted there these one from DEF_UI and not the curly braces.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I would use the FallUI series instead it's a lot better and more modern. Also don't use AWKCR it's old and buggy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do note that the OP was last edited in 2020, it's 3 years out of date.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Flowing Thot posted:

I would use the FallUI series instead it's a lot better and more modern. Also don't use AWKCR it's old and buggy.

Oh nice, that sounds better.

I had to add something to a .ini file and I also got MCM and now it seems to be working :) thanks all!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd recommend going with a very lightweight Wabbajack modlist as a base to save you the hassle, but even the most basic ones require the DLC to be installed.

Maybe you could check out The Midnight Ride? I haven't tried it myself, but its sister guide for New Vegas (known as "Viva New Vegas") has been very helpful in the past. It'd certainly help you avoid some of the common pitfalls when it comes to modding these games. These guides were designed to be lightweight and vanilla-adjacent, so they should provide something close to the experience you're after.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'd recommend going with a very lightweight Wabbajack modlist as a base to save you the hassle, but even the most basic ones require the DLC to be installed.

Maybe you could check out The Midnight Ride? I haven't tried it myself, but its sister guide for New Vegas (known as "Viva New Vegas") has been very helpful in the past. It'd certainly help you avoid some of the common pitfalls when it comes to modding these games. These guides were designed to be lightweight and vanilla-adjacent, so they should provide something close to the experience you're after.

Viva New Vegas is extremely good, so would recommend TMR just off the back of that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does the major community patch actually not work if I don't own all the DLC? They're listed as Requirements.

The TV series made me reinstall FO4 and the base game crashes 100% of the time just running from the House to the Vault after character creation :sigh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Does the major community patch actually not work if I don't own all the DLC? They're listed as Requirements.

The TV series made me reinstall FO4 and the base game crashes 100% of the time just running from the House to the Vault after character creation :sigh:

If you mean the Arthmoor-led one then yeah, they're strictly required and this is stated in at least three different places:

Assmoor posted:

9. Do not post asking about why the DLC is required, simply accept that it is. No, we will NOT provide you a special non-DLC patch or combinations suited only to certain DLCs. We unified for a reason. Required mean REQUIRED. Any posts on this subject will be summarily deleted without a response, along with any replies from other users prior to us noticing them. This is not a democracy. You don't get a vote. Repeat offenders who don't take the hint will be blocked without notice.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah thanks; I thought I did read around a bit but I don't use NexusMods much so I don't see where that is.

Actually I apparently do own the DLC, though I have zero recollection of when or why I'd have bought them. But I already uninstalled the game and the desire has passed lol

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't know the patch well, but I heard enough of Arthmoor to assume he does this out of spite because it's his vision(TM) that he certainly won't alter for filthy plebeians, not because it's impossible to do differently. That post I quoted (from the mod's forum/posts tab) at least makes it sound like his usual brainworms.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What's the de facto mod that fills the empty settlement spots with premade stuff these days? I really don't want to deal with the settlement management.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

orcane posted:

I don't know the patch well, but I heard enough of Arthmoor to assume he does this out of spite because it's his vision(TM) that he certainly won't alter for filthy plebeians, not because it's impossible to do differently. That post I quoted (from the mod's forum/posts tab) at least makes it sound like his usual brainworms.

It's a non-trivial addition to complexity. There's what, 4 or so major DLC? Far Harbour, Automatron, Vault-Tec, Nuka World. Plus the two Workshop DLC. If you're building for combinations, that's like 30 extra versions to keep up to date.

Arthmoor is a dick, don't get me wrong, but I can understand why that's not appealing for a volunteer team. Conversely, it's very understandable why the Nexus went "gently caress this we're doing it without you" for Starfield (and then no one cared because Starfield sucks, it seems).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

It's a non-trivial addition to complexity. There's what, 4 or so major DLC? Far Harbour, Automatron, Vault-Tec, Nuka World. Plus the two Workshop DLC. If you're building for combinations, that's like 30 extra versions to keep up to date.

Arthmoor is a dick, don't get me wrong, but I can understand why that's not appealing for a volunteer team. Conversely, it's very understandable why the Nexus went "gently caress this we're doing it without you" for Starfield (and then no one cared because Starfield sucks, it seems).
Oh yeah I don't mean to imply it's easy to do, just that Arthbore is the type who will nip any concessions to filthy end users in the bud and his post on the issue makes it sound like this was his main motivation (he's the type who wouldn't even allow it if someone else did the work).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any recommendations for Survival Mode mods relating to how Saving works?

I see that "Sleep or Save" mod in the OP which is a mild QOL improvement, but man the limitations on saving just make the game too un-fun. Spend 15 minutes walking somewhere and then accidentally die. Cool I guess! Like I don't care if it's just a short timer on how frequently you can F5, or if it re-enables Saving when you Enter/Exit a Building or whatever.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Sab669 posted:

Any recommendations for Survival Mode mods relating to how Saving works?

I see that "Sleep or Save" mod in the OP which is a mild QOL improvement, but man the limitations on saving just make the game too un-fun. Spend 15 minutes walking somewhere and then accidentally die. Cool I guess! Like I don't care if it's just a short timer on how frequently you can F5, or if it re-enables Saving when you Enter/Exit a Building or whatever.

I remember downloading a mod that added an item to your inventory that made a save at some point (and so of course I just favorited it), but my last few playthroughs were Horizon that adds that functionality automatically so I can't point you at it, sorry.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I believe there’s a save “drug” called save-o that’s either part of one of those mods or a mod in itself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't have it in front of me but I do use a mod that enables saving whenever you want in Survival. Turns on fast travel too if you want it.

Survival Mode Tweaks maybe? I can look when I get home. Worked for vanilla survival and Horizon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't have it in front of me but I do use a mod that enables saving whenever you want in Survival. Turns on fast travel too if you want it.

Survival Mode Tweaks maybe? I can look when I get home. Worked for vanilla survival and Horizon.

I'd be curious to know for sure, thanks. I did find something that also has a Craftable/Consumable Save-On-Demand thing, but Fast Travel between Settlements would be good too. Don't necessarily need/want full blown Fast Travel from any 2 arbitrary points but I guess it wouldn't be the worst to have it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sab669 posted:

I'd be curious to know for sure, thanks. I did find something that also has a Craftable/Consumable Save-On-Demand thing, but Fast Travel between Settlements would be good too. Don't necessarily need/want full blown Fast Travel from any 2 arbitrary points but I guess it wouldn't be the worst to have it.

Survival Unlocker is what I was using.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23197

quote:

This mod patches the hardcoded "features" that come with the Survival difficulty.

This mod restores:
Using the console
Using Quicksave
Saving from the Pause menu
Fast travelling
Saving while travelling

This mod also allows you to return to the Survival difficulty if you had previously downgraded your difficulty.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://creations.bethesda.net/en/creators/bethesdagamestudios

They're at it again!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sweet, thanks.

Not sure if I'll force myself to abide by a "Only fast travel between Settlements" rule, but the native Save/Travel restrictions really don't make the game harder, just un-fun.

I downloaded Survival Saving which lets you find blank Holotapes throughout the world to consume in order to trigger a Save, and then this other addon that lets you craft those Holotapes instead of needing to find them, but I'm early on in this playthrough and don't have the resources to Craft the Station yet never mind the tapes. And can't find a list of locations to find the tapes in...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i just realised that i never played any of the fallout 4 dlc. are the mod recommendations in the OP still the way to go? i'm looking at all the dependencies and extra scripts and poo poo that i have to install and feeling extremely unmotivated to go through the whole process of getting it set up

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Good news! You can get a whole curated modlist installed and configured while you're doing the dishes or walking the dog. Check out Wabbajack, and see if one of the Fallout 4 modlists in the gallery are to your taste!

e: make sure to closely follow the instructions for the modlist of your choosing. You usually don't have to do much, but it'll save you time if you get it right the first time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Good news! You can get a whole curated modlist installed and configured while you're doing the dishes or walking the dog. Check out Wabbajack, and see if one of the Fallout 4 modlists in the gallery are to your taste!

e: make sure to closely follow the instructions for the modlist of your choosing. You usually don't have to do much, but it'll save you time if you get it right the first time.

Note that doing it this way requires spending like $5 for one month of Nexus premium so you can do unlimited downloads.

e: I don't object to this, I've used Wabbajack plenty myself, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Hey, not sure where else to ask this. I'm not sure if it was an update or something but FO4 no longer recognizes my native resolution (2560x1440). My cursor is confined to a small box on the screen. I've tried a bunch of fixes but none of them seem to work. This happens with zero mods after fresh installs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone have a good settlement cleaner? Right now I'm using Clean and Smooth Settlements, but it breaks Bunker Hill (I can't get any quests from the mayor, nor can I talk to the traders). I'm not looking for anything like this, I'm just looking for something that clears out all the buildings and clutter while leaving the general layout untouched.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Boob Cop posted:

Hey, not sure where else to ask this. I'm not sure if it was an update or something but FO4 no longer recognizes my native resolution (2560x1440). My cursor is confined to a small box on the screen. I've tried a bunch of fixes but none of them seem to work. This happens with zero mods after fresh installs.

Fallout 4 hasn''t been updated in a long time, although an update is coming sometime in 2024. I would manually delete the game install folder, and manually delete all the ini and other files in the documents folder and see if that fixes it. If you have already tried that I have no idea sorry.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Flowing Thot posted:

Fallout 4 hasn''t been updated in a long time, although an update is coming sometime in 2024. I would manually delete the game install folder, and manually delete all the ini and other files in the documents folder and see if that fixes it. If you have already tried that I have no idea sorry.

I did all that, sorry. I meant a graphics card update, my bad

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flowing Thot posted:

I’ll just add here that generally I prefer to rename folders and files rather than delete. Serves the same person, but if something still doesn’t work, you have the old renamed files you can reuse.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have a good settlement cleaner? Right now I'm using Clean and Smooth Settlements, but it breaks Bunker Hill (I can't get any quests from the mayor, nor can I talk to the traders). I'm not looking for anything like this, I'm just looking for something that clears out all the buildings and clutter while leaving the general layout untouched.

Scrap This Settlement is pretty safe, doesn't break precombines and is tailored to not gently caress up any of the vanilla settlements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I watched a single video about all the issues with The Frontier and now my youtube feed is full of low sub channels screeching about how "THESE MODS ARE WOOOOOKE". God loving dammit, youtube algorithm