Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RandomReader posted:

There are some insane clash values and people that hit like a truck, but this time it's just mostly clash values, depending on the enemy buffs you take. It's pretty funny try a clash, see a "roll 25 or get buttfucked," then use a defensive skill and the best it can do is a 12, and 14 damage if it hits.

I see, so that's how the devs are getting us to use Defensive skills besides Evade :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

I mean, if you have a team that can beat Hard atm, then you don't really need to bother with rotations or grinding for Starlight because you've already proven that you can do just fine without them buffs. They'll just be for bragging rights at that point.

I still want to go faster. :colbert:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, that was my main point, MD2H was also nuts at the start but with the stagger removal and offense buffs you got to the point it was mostly fine with the final floor being a challenge (unless you got Bull, hope you brought Bash res tanks!).

That said from what I've gathered MD3H seems to be less "insane clash values" and more of a slog because high offense/defense and enemy buffs being nastier? Or do we still have Mr. Gonna roll a 35, hope you used WAW EGO or Sunshower or 4th Match Flame!

It's got the Siltcurrent who is gonna use blind obsession on someone and kill them in the second turn and I'm not actually certain there is anything you can do to stop it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

TeeQueue posted:

I still want to go faster. :colbert:

The real question is: if you're grinding 4 extra Normal dungeons each week just for Starlight until you max out the bonuses, then how many Hard runs will you have to do to make a temporal profit against the scenario where you just do hard runs with the same team once per week :v:

Show ur work or you'll never get accepted as a Feather in T Corp.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 21, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

The real question is: if you're grinding 4 extra Normal dungeons each week just for Starlight until you max out the bonuses, then how many Hard runs will you have to do to make a temporal profit against the scenario where you just do hard runs with the same team once per week :v:

Show ur work or you'll never get accepted as a Feather in T Corp.

I don't have the time for that. It's one normal dungeon a day for starlight, then 1 Hard run on the other day, for a total of 7 a week. Anything else goes to Working on the Let's Play and its Increasingly Ponderous Web of Bullshit.

also maplestory but thats like a half hour max.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I'm already thinking about what you actually lose by quitting out after Floor 4, because if it's like a level and a half of BP or whatever then I'd take that deal every time. Floor 5 wasn't that hard, but it was a huge slog and I wouldn't mind just not needing to think about it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

can i veto

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

can i veto

Yes but it picks one randomly if you do.

Resilient is your safe pick, the funny option is Overload 2.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I’m stuck with a stage 5 Dream-Devouring Siltcurrent, whatever I do I get absolutely destroyed on turn 2 I don’t know if this is salvageable :shepicide:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TeeQueue posted:

Honestly I'd take Final Power Up III myself.

Final Power Up isn't very good as a buff imo, since in clashes it just is a +X to the clash number, compared to the other stuff making clashing weirder to calculate or being potentially more or less in some situations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, that was my main point, MD2H was also nuts at the start but with the stagger removal and offense buffs you got to the point it was mostly fine with the final floor being a challenge (unless you got Bull, hope you brought Bash res tanks!).

That said from what I've gathered MD3H seems to be less "insane clash values" and more of a slog because high offense/defense and enemy buffs being nastier? Or do we still have Mr. Gonna roll a 35, hope you used WAW EGO or Sunshower or 4th Match Flame!

None of the buffs are very impactful in regards to offense/defense levels though and there's no big keystone like removing stagger thresholds or anything. MD3 is more about not giving the enemy a billion offense levels which unfortunately means enemies aren't going to be taking damage by the end

TeeQueue posted:

They already got a final power boost so that's the play, feels insanely bad to have Quick Suppression only do like 40% though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

microfolk posted:

I’m stuck with a stage 5 Dream-Devouring Siltcurrent, whatever I do I get absolutely destroyed on turn 2 I don’t know if this is salvageable :shepicide:

I would have simply not gotten that boss

No fight with that boss is going to be pretty since it was designed for a full heal both before and afterward, imo no shame in quitting out as you don't lose much

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, as I've just discovered, if you get the Voodoo Doll and Upgrade it you can absolutely take enemy power up buffs, because as soon as they go below 50% health the voodoo doll power down over-rides power up for the rest of the fight.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also, as I've just discovered, if you get the Voodoo Doll and Upgrade it you can absolutely take enemy power up buffs, because as soon as they go below 50% health the voodoo doll power down over-rides power up for the rest of the fight.

Oh, so that was the reason why my first MD3H run was utterly trivial! :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

Oh, so that was the reason why my first MD3H run was utterly trivial! :v:

On second look, this might only be fully happening against abnormalities? Voodoo Doll is still super good though.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

microfolk posted:

I did it with Tremor Team and stacked 15 offense/defense level down with tremor burst. ..Otherwise, um. Good luck if you don't have any negative coin EGOs!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I came in with a bleed team, and yeah, I realized right away clashing wasn't gonna help. So I just focused on breaking the flotsam and the leftover damage, I poured directly into the fluorescent part, since its skill is unclashable, which meant it wasn't gonna block my attacks. Yeah, that means it gets free damage against your team with its non-blind obsession skill, but its skills isn't as damaging as that one. I also had Faust to use Fluid Sac, so that helped keep my team, minus Don that Siltcurrent exploded second turn, alive.

It was beating the poo poo out of my team but it was also bleeding out and slamming into the broken flotsam every turn. Once the fluorescent part is broken, you've basically won, but yeah, it's not going to be bloodless.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my big boss was the clam crab, it died horribly because it can't really do much to you if you aoe the goo piles and floor 5's multi waves and higher enemy defense means you'll have a shitton of resources to do it with

took a while though

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dreaming only applies one paralyze, so things like Quick Suppression, DDER, Rip Space and Mind Whip still can beat it even if it doesn't look like they will.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Was feeling super smug, because I managed to avoid most of + clash and + offense power enemy buffs, by taking buffs that make them sturdier and tankier instead, like +25% HP or +5 Defense Up, so the enemy clashes remained pretty pathetic thorough the whole game. Then the last floor took almost two hours. :cry:

Never before did I see N Sinclair do 50 damage with his S3 against Blunt weak enemy while rolling all tails.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

Marluxia posted:

I came in with a bleed team, and yeah, I realized right away clashing wasn't gonna help. So I just focused on breaking the flotsam and the leftover damage, I poured directly into the fluorescent part, since its skill is unclashable, which meant it wasn't gonna block my attacks. Yeah, that means it gets free damage against your team with its non-blind obsession skill, but its skills isn't as damaging as that one. I also had Faust to use Fluid Sac, so that helped keep my team, minus Don that Siltcurrent exploded second turn, alive.

It was beating the poo poo out of my team but it was also bleeding out and slamming into the broken flotsam every turn. Once the fluorescent part is broken, you've basically won, but yeah, it's not going to be bloodless.

I managed to get a win after a couple hours break. Turns out the secret is having Don being absolutely atomized by the Big loving Attack on turn 2. :3:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

How do you reach the stuff that was added to Starlight at the top, the three skills plus offshoots that directly impact stats? I don't see a connection right now, is it off an offshoot of one of the bottom skills that was already available?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KazigluBey posted:

How do you reach the stuff that was added to Starlight at the top, the three skills plus offshoots that directly impact stats? I don't see a connection right now, is it off an offshoot of one of the bottom skills that was already available?
It starts from the middle node.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
My immediate takeaways on MD3 Hard Mode:

-The HP amounts are high enough that I wouldn't enjoy playing it more than once a month, but also low enough that I'm going to think "I should give hard mode another shot" about once a week and then remember how annoying it is once I get stuck in.
-I stopped paying attention for one second halfway through Floor 4 and crabs have suddenly murdered Ryoshu, and then murdered my entire team the next round. So... I may have misread something and picked a really bad enemy buff, but keep an eye out anyway?

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Crabs can actually do a mountain of damage if they get their AOE shots off, so they can really nail your rear end if you lose clashes due to bad luck or laziness.

Crabs and whale townies are both hiding behind regular pierce nodes, so it's worth dodging them if you can, both can gently caress your poo poo up.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
I like how Rupture teams with the Talisman Bundle and Thunderbranch upgraded can make the Ambling Pearl's mechanics into more of a suggestion than a requirement :)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I definitely think the strat is reroll the dungeon until you start with the two fusable EGO gifts since they have pretty huge buffs.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Verant posted:

I like how Rupture teams with the Talisman Bundle and Thunderbranch upgraded can make the Ambling Pearl's mechanics into more of a suggestion than a requirement :)
Can back this up, just did it. I think Rupture is the strongest team by far for MD3H if you start with Thunderbranch and Talisman Bundle then upgrade them to max asap.

Team I ran was W Yi Sang, K Hong Lu, Cinqlair, 7 Faust, Outis and Heathcliff (can sub Heath for R Heath).

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

So for 3H it's a rupture meta, eh? Charge was pretty easy too, but to be fair I might have gotten an easy boss. Skin Prophet isn't really hard at the worst of times.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeeQueue posted:

So for 3H it's a rupture meta, eh? Charge was pretty easy too, but to be fair I might have gotten an easy boss. Skin Prophet isn't really hard at the worst of times.

If I were to rank them...

Rupture >> Charge >>> Sinking > Bleed >>> Tremor >>>>>>>>>> Burn

Burn desperately, desperately needs some way to turn Burn Count into direct damage. Proccing it once per turn or using it to increase coin power just isn't good enough. It's the only team that I wouldn't call at least viable.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yeah, we desperately need Liu Faust, or Liu Sang, or Liu Sinclair or Liu Ryoshu to have some sort of Burn Burst or Burn Deluge.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

yeah, we desperately need Liu Faust, or Liu Sang, or Liu Sinclair or Liu Ryoshu to have some sort of Burn Burst or Burn Deluge.

Burnst.

Beluge.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Burn has the issue of having a pretty big damage cap, yeah. That 99 burn damage (per part, yeah yeah) ain't that much against multi-k HP bosses. But then again, because it only reduces count by 1 each round making Burn count really easy to stack, Burn Deluge would have to be supremely tightly balanced to not immediately break the game.

And we know PM and their balancing :v:

If it appears, I'd assume it would have to be capped in some way. Like say, a Skill 3 that Deluges up to 5 count instead of literally all of it, or something like that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Meursault Capote scales off burn count really well. Too bad it also then relies on tremor

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, I've beaten my first MD3H run, with Tremor. Honestly, it wasn't too bad, though I was fortunate in that I got good gifts, notably Blue Zippo Lighter about halfway through, and Downpour around that time.

I think I'm back to running MD3H once a week.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

https://youtu.be/TsZ56nSxE4I

Christmas promo dropped and it's something all right.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

All you guys talking about Burn like that makes me want to do something absurd to prove a goddamn point.

It carried me through all of Canto V, it'll carry me through MDH too. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm like ??? because my first MD3H clear was with Burn team and it was pretty viable. Like not super fast or anything (and that might be on me, due to my choice of enemy buffs) but otherwise smooth?

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

RandomReader posted:

https://youtu.be/TsZ56nSxE4I

Christmas promo dropped and it's something all right.

I quite enjoy Heathcliff's new EGO being a Zayin if only because now he gets a choice whether to throw around a Christmas-themed sack or a corpse-filled one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Burn is fine, it's a status that trades off damage potential for ease of stacking and the biggest issue is that the Liu boys are middling at the best of times and also pretty mandatory for the burn team. OTOH, the other two parts of a burn team are Lishmael, who's a certified shitkicker with the best burn ego in the game, and Nclair, frontrunner for the best ID in the game bar none.

My biggest issue with burn is that there's more loving burn EGO's than burn IDs, it's very barebones ATM. It's a ripe status for playing with too, it's a matter of time until there's an ID that uses self burn as a charge mechanic.